When did Barca start to implement the "tiki-taka" tactics

aldorain

Banned
Reaction score
I could of sworn it was after Pep came in, because before that they were not like how they have been playing over the last four years since his appointment.

Both Arsenal and Barcelona have been playing this kind of football for years.

I think the term 'tiki-taka' only came in after Guardiola, though, but I'm not sure.

It was before Pep came in. First i notice this was under Rijkaard. They had 70% possession at United in 2007-08.

Both Arsenal and Barcelona have been playing this kind of football for years.

I think the term 'tiki-taka' only came in after Guardiola, though, but I'm not sure.

yes however, they have not been as dominant as they have been lately. They can play teams of the park with blindfolds when they click.

yes however, they have not been as dominant as they have been lately. They can play teams of the park with blindfolds when they click.
they can also struggle and get beaten

Because at that time team was built more around Deco, Ronaldinho. Now they have Xavi, Iniesta who wont misplace a pass.

Rijkaard started it off, Guardiola reaped the benefits and perfected it, arguably.

The first one who tried the tiki taka was Johan Cruiff. But over the time, it changed a lot. Rijkaard used this tactic too, but less than Guardiola. I think Guardiola and Rijkaard contributed a lot to this tatic and with Pep it goes near to perfection.

The main part that Guardiola has introduced IMO is the pressing and closing down part. Rijkaard never even played an anchor man in the middle. He went with Xavi, Iniesta, and Deco in the centre with Messi, Eto'o, Ronaldinho in attack.

You mean like saying we (England) started off football, however the Brazilians perfected it

You can put it like that.. XD
Anyway, I love the tika-tika play/tactic/whatever. Passing the ball around, keeping possession, the opponent sleeps then BAM! Messi scores.
If only I was a great tactician...

You mean like saying we (England) started off football, however the Brazilians perfected it

Except there is no 'perfect' way of playing football. It's like playing rock/paper/scissors. There is always some way of countering another.

Goes back to when Michels was there and heavily influenced their youth set-up (Michels was also heavily responsible for the Ajax set-up). Michels' biggest student was Cryuff, and he pushed on some more/reverted back to Michels' ideas when he was manager at Barca. You can then take it from there. But ultimately it comes from Michels and his theories on circulation football which saw greatest fame from him managing the Dutch national team. Oh and being voted coach of the century by FIFA.

Except for the fact it was the romans and then ye just reinvented it and made it popular

Any group of people can kick a ball around. The English took a simple game, wrote the laws and made it into a sport.

Any group of people can kick a ball around. The English took a simple game, wrote the laws and made it into a sport.
Ì didnt say ye didnt turn it into a sport. he just said ye started it off clearly ye didnt if the romans were kicking a pigs bladder around.

Ì didnt say ye didnt turn it into a sport. he just said ye started it off clearly ye didnt if the romans were kicking a pigs bladder around.

Big difference between kicking a pigs bladder around and playing football. In fact, we by definition started off the game of football seeing as we invented the laws. Before then it was just kicking a pigs bladder around.

Laws mean nothing if u think about it tho.As u said anyone can kick a ball around.Everyone says u want to have a game of football but then when u actually do.Do you have officals or cards or offside but u still class it as football.This maybe the stupidest arguement in the world.Especially since its so off topic but anyways.Barca are def playing more of that type of football recentley(last 10 years or so) but they where always kind of like that.