When did Barca start to implement the "tiki-taka" tactics

Oh nevermind. You're wrong, but it's offtopic so I'll leave it.

whats tiki taka mean??

Tiki-taka is a word used to describe the kind of tappy, passing football Barcelona and Spain have played recently.

Oh nevermind. You're wrong, but it's offtopic so I'll leave it.
Whatever,I know im right.
Just like to add the definition of football is to kick a ball with your foot.So "football" was around before ye made it a sport.Thats all im saying.

Last edited:
Goes back to when Michels was there and heavily influenced their youth set-up (Michels was also heavily responsible for the Ajax set-up). Michels' biggest student was Cryuff, and he pushed on some more/reverted back to Michels' ideas when he was manager at Barca. You can then take it from there. But ultimately it comes from Michels and his theories on circulation football which saw greatest fame from him managing the Dutch national team. Oh and being voted coach of the century by FIFA.

You should ask Cruyff that. He now claims that he and another player of the ajax team, don't recall the name atm, just did what they felt like and let Michels all the glory. So in essence they "invented" the football style Barcelona have played since Cruyff joined them as a player. He calls it total football and, if you watch the current Ajax coach, Frank de Boer, you see they are going back to that system.

Check it out:
YouTube - Football's Greatest: Johan Cruyff 1/2
YouTube - Football's Greatest: Johan Cruyff 2/2

Last edited:
It was the Chinese who invented football, but nevermind.

I personally think the Barca of 08/09 was the best Barca.

You should ask Cruyff that. He now claims that he and another player of the ajax team, don't recall the name atm, just did what they felt like and let Michels all the glory. So in essence they "invented" the football style Barcelona have played since Cruyff joined them as a player. He calls it total football and, if you watch the current Ajax coach, Frank de Boer, you see they are going back to that system.

It's odd that his claims about that only started after Michels was dead. Don't like the man's ego at times. He was a great player and a great manager, you'd think that would be enough for anyone. Was the other player who backed him up Neeskens by any chance?

Cracking videos - thanks for linking :)

It's odd that his claims about that only started after Michels was dead. Don't like the man's ego at times. He was a great player and a great manager, you'd think that would be enough for anyone. Was the other player who backed him up Neeskens by any chance?

Typical really of the man, A dead man cant argue against him, so we expect him to take his word as gospel.

I wasnt alive when this style was invented by Michels, but i have heard a lot of good stuff on in about from my Dad and Grand Father, I get this line a lot " The coaches of this generation are nothing on Michels, he was the real deal"

Typical really of the man, A dead man cant argue against him, so we expect him to take his word as gospel.

I wasnt alive when this style was invented by Michels, but i have heard a lot of good stuff on in about from my Dad and Grand Father, I get this line a lot " The coaches of this generation are nothing on Michels, he was the real deal"

Rinus Michels was indeed a genius almost without parallel. I didn't know that he was associated with Barcelona in any way, but the way in which he moulded a supremely talented and versatile Ajax team into the best team in the world (without equal at their time) was nothing short of brilliant.

Guardiola is ****, Rijkaard made this Barcelona. So, we need to blame Rijkaard and Cruyff for this Barcelona's tika taka.

Goes back to when Michels was there and heavily influenced their youth set-up (Michels was also heavily responsible for the Ajax set-up). Michels' biggest student was Cryuff, and he pushed on some more/reverted back to Michels' ideas when he was manager at Barca. You can then take it from there. But ultimately it comes from Michels and his theories on circulation football which saw greatest fame from him managing the Dutch national team. Oh and being voted coach of the century by FIFA.

This.

Guardiola is ****, Rijkaard made this Barcelona. So, we need to blame Rijkaard and Cruyff for this Barcelona's tika taka.

Erm. No matter how much you can credit Rijkaard, Guardiola is a superb manager.

No problem. It's a show that's been running here in the Netherlands since january. There are lots more episodes on youtube. Just search for Football's Greatest.

Erm. No matter how much you can credit Rijkaard, Guardiola is a superb manager.

Well, he has best team ever, one of the best footbalers ever and loads of money. I expect from him to win ECL every year, well, not to win, but to progress into final. Tactically he is immature, just look what he did when he played against Arsenal in London. He had Arsenal on knees and it was only matter of time when Barca would score again,but instead that, he replaced Iniesta with Keita and tried to put game to bed. Arsenal took control and scored two :). Well, this is my opinion and im probably wrong :)

Oh that was Funny.
:S

Well, he has best team ever, one of the best footbalers ever and loads of money. I expect from him to win ECL every year, well, not to win, but to progress into final. Tactically he is immature, just look what he did when he played against Arsenal in London. He had Arsenal on knees and it was only matter of time when Barca would score again,but instead that, he replaced Iniesta with Keita and tried to put game to bed. Arsenal took control and scored two :). Well, this is my opinion and im probably wrong :)

You called Pep ****, which is just stupid.....

I would say that the actual style of play started for Barça with Cruiff. And that because I don't really know how they played before that (I was born in 1985).
They didn't played like this for years, but then beautiful game went back there with Rijkaard, and now with Pep they keep on playing beautifully as well.

The term "tiki-taka" was born when a spanish journalist used that to refers to Spain national team style of play during the Euro 2008 qualifying and in the tournament itself.
Quite a stupid term imo, anyway. But that's it.
BTW, Spain doesn't play it anymore the same with Del Bosque. The playing style that made me fall in love with my national team was what they did during Euro 2008.

facepalm at calling Pep a **** manager.....

Rijkaard never even played an anchor man in the middle. He went with Xavi, Iniesta, and Deco in the centre with Messi, Eto'o, Ronaldinho in attack.
Edmilson and mainly Marquez were important players in Rijkaard's era playing that role.
Iniesta didn't played so much until Deco left Barça.

Like I wrote above, I expect lot more from him ;) He is not ****, but he is overrated.

How is he overrated? He has impleted this style of play and put his own touch to it. He may not have created this style of play, but to modify it and use it in this time of a results business, where money and winning is everything is nothing short of superb. His man management skills are brilliant aswell. To keep a squad of that ability motivated and focused nearly every game is alot harder than it sounds. Personally, I think Pep is underrated

He has won it already - first season and all. First season he did a Spanish treble, for the first time in history. He is also the youngest manager to have won the CL. Next year he lost to Inter under Mourinho, who is debatably the best manager in the world. Sure, he gets it wrong once in a while, but his playing style is excellent when it comes to getting the best out of the players he's got.