When did Barca start to implement the "tiki-taka" tactics

How can a manager that won anything in his first season and made his team play so well be underrated and make you expect more from him?!

He has won it already - first season and all. First season he did a Spanish treble, for the first time in history. He is also the youngest manager to have won the CL. Next year he lost to Inter under Mourinho, who is debatably the best manager in the world. Sure, he gets it wrong once in a while, but his playing style is excellent when it comes to getting the best out of the players he's got.

Tbh, except Valdez, he has one ( at least) world class footballer in every position. Xavi is god of football, Messi is Messi, and Villa is so clinical ( before Villa, Eto'o). It would be suprise for me if he didnt won treble. Winning treble first season is great, but he had it all, world class players, no injuries and no competition in Primera. This Barcelona with Xavi, Iniesta and Messi is the best football team ever!

Tbh, except Valdez, he has one ( at least) world class footballer in every position. Xavi is god of football, Messi is Messi, and Villa is so clinical ( before Villa, Eto'o). It would be suprise for me if he didnt won treble. Winning treble first season is great, but he had it all, world class players, no injuries and no competition in Primera. This Barcelona with Xavi, Iniesta and Messi is the best football team ever!

Thats some statement to make, and just like to point out, Rijark, didnt win the treble, with Ronaldinho, Deco, Xavi and Eto...

Both Arsenal and Barcelona have been playing this kind of football for years.

I think the term 'tiki-taka' only came in after Guardiola, though, but I'm not sure.

Lots of teams have played like it in the past too. It's not really 'groundbreaking'. What's attracting the headlines is that they are first 'dominant' team for some time. That said, they still have some way to go to match the accomplishments in Europe of others.

Thats some statement to make, and just like to point out, Rijark, didnt win the treble, with Ronaldinho, Deco, Xavi and Eto...

UEFA Manager of the Year: 2005–06
UEFA Team of the Year for Best Coach of the Year : 2006
IFFHS World's Best Club Coach: 2006
Onze d'Or Coach of the Year: 2006
Don Balón Award Coach of the Year in La Liga: 2005, 2006.
Please lets not make this thread Me against All others or Rijkaard vs Guardiola :D
Guardiola continiued what Rijkaard started.
Im going to sleep, see you guys next week ;)

Last edited:
Please lets not make this thread Me against All others or Rijkaard vs Guardiola :D

you called Pep ****, no-one else. Pep has only been incharge for this his 3rd season, lets see how mahy honours he has, when he finishes Barcelona shall we?

Except there is no 'perfect' way of playing football. It's like playing rock/paper/scissors. There is always some way of countering another.
Perfect, to most people is just "the beautiful game". And for me barca (and even arsenal, and bayern under Van Gaal) represent that. Nobody wants to watch route 1 stoke.

Perfect, to most people is just "the beautiful game". And for me barca (and even arsenal, and bayern under Van Gaal) represent that. Nobody wants to watch route 1 stoke.

But Everyone team in a relegation battle would want stokes Success.. No?

Well I wasn't on about success? I was talking about the style of football.

Actually, you where talking about the "perfect" way to play... Which is too your stregthens surely.

Actually, you where talking about the "perfect" way to play... Which is too your stregthens surely.
Sigh, looks like I have to specifiy more. When you take your team out of the equation, and watch as a neutral. You want to watch barca/arsenal/bayern etc. You don't want to watch a route 1 team. It's just boring.

The thing is before the 08/09 season although Barca did play attacking football, they did not play like as we seen them now

Guardiola's disciplinarian regime and analysis of football has led to the better tuning and the definition of style Barcelona play, without him a lot of talent would go to waste. Regardless, there is no such thing as a master tactic.

Liverpool played this football in the 80's thats where it started

Whatever,I know im right.
Just like to add the definition of football is to kick a ball with your foot.So "football" was around before ye made it a sport.Thats all im saying.

the greeks did it hundreds of years before the romans, but it wasnt called football then, and it didnt have the rules of today, infact it was a lot closer to modern day rugby than modern day football, Both of which stemmed from various ball games played by countless countries over a number of centuries. But the modern football as we know it today was started by england.

---------- Post added at 02:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:25 AM ----------

Liverpool played this football in the 80's thats where it started

hungarians did it before that !

So, essentially, you're saying that because he only won everything with good players makes him only half decent? Give me a break. Just look at the Galacticos. It takes skill to get the best out of any player.

Now Guardiola's awards:

Now Guardiola's awards:

Catalan of the Year has got nothing to do with football. Just sayin'.

Tiki-taka was essentially Cruyff's compromise for the Dutch total football system. If you watch Barcelona under Cruyff (which I have, before anyone decides to tell me I'm wrong or haven't watched it) they play similarly. Yes, the tactic has evolved, and yes it's very different today, but the basic principle was in place when Guardiola PLAYED for Barcelona, and it is his respect for Cruyff and the way he learnt to play that has allowed him to implement it so effectively.

With the exception of LVG's term in management, Barcelona have played this system to some extent since the days of the dream team. And as far as Pep goes, to whoever said he was overrated, Mourinho has a similarly talented group of players, and trails Barcelona by 5 points.

Catalan of the Year has got nothing to do with football. Just sayin'.

The reason he won it will probably be something like 'Outstanding Achievement' or something, which is to do with football. Although, I'm guessing his main rivals for the award were in his actual squad. :p