Who to Replace Rooney? Capello's Dilemma After Red Mist

Its got nothing to do with Chelsea at all, personly i'd rather no Chelsea players go to the Euro's so they have a full summer off so thats where your logic fails. Terry is the captain and still has alot to give and Cole is still the best LB in the country. If Rio was still captain and didnt pick up so many injurys which is unfortunate then i would have put him in insted of Terry. These players need tournement expirience, playing these friendlys against Spain will not help them full stop. No matter what happens in that game it is still a friendly. We (for snobby reasons from our FA) dont take part in the Home Nations tournement so qualifiers (which can be abit easy and drab) aside the Euro's is the only place these lads can gain proper International tournement expirience.

---------- Post added at 12:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:21 AM ----------

But then how does Z player feel if he has played all 3 group games really well and then gets shunted out the team because Rooney is back?? That wouldn't be too great for morale would it.

Given Terry's post match comments they will welcome him back, Terry was keenly aware of what was coming for Rooney

Jones hasnt even displaced Ferdinand at United. Ashley Cole is 30, Gerrard is 31, why drop the latter when he is our best AMC after Rooney? You'd make any changes like these AFTER. Rio would start if he was fit, that is the only question around him, becuase when fit he is still better than Jones, in fact Jones and Smalling are learning him, both for club and country

I think Gerrard WAS our best AMC after Rooney but not anymore. I think Young or Wilshere freshens things up and gives us abit of youthfullness which we need. Jones and Smalling have played majority of games for Utd this season mainly because of the injuries to Rio and Vidic but this has made them better players. Playing in a tournement for England will make them better players.

Given Terry's post match comments they will welcome him back, Terry was keenly aware of what was coming for Rooney

He was aware but Terry isen't going to say "Nah why would we want him to come back" is he.

I think Gerrard WAS our best AMC after Rooney but not anymore. I think Young or Wilshere freshens things up and gives us abit of youthfullness which we need. Jones and Smalling have played majority of games for Utd this season mainly because of the injuries to Rio and Vidic but this has made them better players. Playing in a tournement for England will make them better players.

He was aware but Terry isen't going to say "Nah why would we want him to come back" is he.

"youthfullness" doesnt win games. Gerrard on form is still out best AMC, definitely better than Young, and still better than Wilshere, we have youth coming through anyway, randomly culling the squad now is pointless. Terry backs Rooney, he still should go, whether he starts depends on the game. Unlike the media players dont make a big deal. As Arteta said when Gary Lineker tried to hype it up "it happens, its unfortunate but you stick with your teammates and move on" Not a big deal. You definitely take Gerrard and Rio if fully fit, with Jones Cahill and Jags as Back up. Wilshere will start MC and Young AML. To needless cut our options is short sighted, and thankfully Capello wont do that

It wont be long i tell you that, i wouldnt be suprised if this is Cole's last tournement for England.

You do realise its the last tournament for 5 or 6 players, they will be good enough for this but not in two years, then you cull the side after the tournament

Whats up with this 23??? If we went into the Euro's with this then i would actually be impressed with Crapello.

Hart
Which ever GK isen't retired
Same as above

Cole
Baines
Terry
Jones
Jagielka
Smalling (cover for CB and RB)
Walker

Parker
Cleverley
Wilshere
Gerrard
Young
Milner
Sturridge
Downing

Rooney (spare man as you take 1 less defender)
Bent
Carroll/Zamora
Agbonlahor
Welbeck

Steven Gerrard as AMC, in my opinion would be perfect.

But, I'm a Liverpool fan, and I sound biased right now? But it just makes sense.

Whats up with this 23??? If we went into the Euro's with this then i would actually be impressed with Crapello.

Hart
Which ever GK isen't retired
Same as above

Cole
Baines
Terry
Jones
Jagielka
Smalling (cover for CB and RB)
Walker

Parker
Cleverley
Wilshere
Gerrard
Young
Milner
Sturridge
Downing

Rooney (spare man as you take 1 less defender)
Bent
Carroll/Zamora
Agbonlahor
Welbeck

For me it would be a straight fight between Jags and Rio depending on fitness. Cleverely and Sturridge if they keep the form going through most of the season (assuming they are playing like they are now then yes) Zamora over Carroll right now. Gaaby definitely over Defoe, Milner only if he is to be used in the middle as cover for Parker, otherwise i would be following the form of Carrick, Rodwell or Thudd

Steven Gerrard as AMC, in my opinion would be perfect.

But, I'm a Liverpool fan, and I sound biased right now? But it just makes sense.

Not at all, makes perfect sense. Perhaps not after the Euro, but certainly between the Euros and at the Euros. Unless he is not fit and on form, he must travel, and almost certainly start

Not at all, makes perfect sense. Perhaps not after the Euro, but certainly between the Euros and at the Euros. Unless he is not fit and on form, he must travel, and almost certainly start

Indeed, but others may say I only said Gerrard due to me supporting Liverpool.

But, he is still one of the best CM/AM players around, and can play well with any striker.

Rooney should go. Simple as that. Every time there will be atleast 1 or 2 who wont be getting even 1 min of playing time. Why waste it by selecting average players for the sake of it.

If England plays well and makes it to the ko stage that doesn't mean the striker who player will do well or justifies his selection. For all we know the striker may suck donkey balls and will be waiting for Rooney to make huge improvement to the team.

I know I'm in the minority here but I personally would take him, if only to serve his ban. If England progress I still would not pick him, it's gotten to the stage where the system and team is built around him and I am completely against that for any team because it's unhealthy frankly and I don't think you can develop England with Capello at all.

It's gotten to the stage in the past 20 months where I genuinely will not care about any England result or display until Capello's gone when hopefully some sort of change will come in. I'm not saying I wont support them, but I doubt I'll be watching them much. Too many disappointments and shambolic decisions going on at the moment, I am a club football man anyway but even more so with recent England displays.

Rooney was petulant, ill-disciplined, selfish and well Wayne Rooney. The fact that he now misses those games I think will help England going forward, he hardly lit up the 2010 World Cup but then who did. England setting up without him I think will help them develop and will help other players come out in a system that isn't tailored to Wayne Rooney. I'm not saying England will be free scoring and sweeping all before them but long term I think this is better.

I wouldn't go with Bent either unless it's a 2 man strikeforce because on his own Bent can become a bit of a garden gnome that the game passes by. I'm looking at the English options right now and I'm thinking Sturridge/Welbeck are the best bets as a partnership if they have good seasons.

Defoe/Zamora/Johnson should be on the fringe, I don't think Agbonlahor is reliable from a finishing standpoint and Crouch is a little useless at tournaments especially in Englands 'new' system.

Not jumping on the Rooney is bad bandwagon, but from a viewpoint of 'I have written off the next year of International England games' I think him being banned is a good thing.

3 games is fair as well, I think UEFA had to be firm and send a message that kicking the back of legs in petulance is not acceptable whether you are Wayne Rooney or Tarmo Kink.

I know I'm in the minority here but I personally would take him, if only to serve his ban. If England progress I still would not pick him, it's gotten to the stage where the system and team is built around him and I am completely against that for any team because it's unhealthy frankly and I don't think you can develop England with Capello at all.

It's gotten to the stage in the past 20 months where I genuinely will not care about any England result or display until Capello's gone when hopefully some sort of change will come in. I'm not saying I wont support them, but I doubt I'll be watching them much. Too many disappointments and shambolic decisions going on at the moment, I am a club football man anyway but even more so with recent England displays.

Rooney was petulant, ill-disciplined, selfish and well Wayne Rooney. The fact that he now misses those games I think will help England going forward, he hardly lit up the 2010 World Cup but then who did. England setting up without him I think will help them develop and will help other players come out in a system that isn't tailored to Wayne Rooney. I'm not saying England will be free scoring and sweeping all before them but long term I think this is better.

I wouldn't go with Bent either unless it's a 2 man strikeforce because on his own Bent can become a bit of a garden gnome that the game passes by. I'm looking at the English options right now and I'm thinking Sturridge/Welbeck are the best bets as a partnership if they have good seasons.

Defoe/Zamora/Johnson should be on the fringe, I don't think Agbonlahor is reliable from a finishing standpoint and Crouch is a little useless at tournaments especially in Englands 'new' system.

Not jumping on the Rooney is bad bandwagon, but from a viewpoint of 'I have written off the next year of International England games' I think him being banned is a good thing.

3 games is fair as well, I think UEFA had to be firm and send a message that kicking the back of legs in petulance is not acceptable whether you are Wayne Rooney or Tarmo Kink.

Except the system isnt tailored to Rooney, its tailored to England. Capello just isnt very good at using anyone else there, Gerrard and Wilshere could do it for a start. With or without Rooney we still play best 4-2-3-1 or in 4-4-2/4-2-3-1. Bent is good enough for the lone role as is Gabby ATM

If we were building around England it would be 4-3-3 with 2 wingers and Lampard/Gerrard/Wilshere or Parker in the midfield. Rooney doesn't play that role well because as everyone knows he drops deep.

The only CF we have that fits the 4-2-3-1 system is Rooney, doesn't work the same with Young at CAM or Milner at CAM.

By system I mean more than the formation, if Rooney plays well England play well if Rooney has an off game England fail. That's how it's been under Capello, the entire game is reliant on Rooney the entire World Cup campaign centered around Rooney. It's more than the fact he's the 'star' of England, it's gotten to the point where we have worked on a system that suits the drop off CF of Wayne Rooney that unless the system is changed I can't see England doing well at all.

Maybe it has been Capello just pandering to Rooney to get the best out of him, either way England are ultra dependent on Rooney and they need some time without him. Bent is good enough, so long as someone does the leg work for him. The game goes by Bent so often because of the type of player he is, you can't go into a Championship relying solely on him. He's the type of player who can have a bad game and still pop up with a goal, but what if he plain old has a bad game scores nothing and England do horribly.

Without Rooney dictating everything and calling for the ball from the midfield, this could be a blessing in disguise going forward. The England future involves Wayne Rooney but I'd like it to be less dependent on him.

If we were building around England it would be 4-3-3 with 2 wingers and Lampard/Gerrard/Wilshere or Parker in the midfield. Rooney doesn't play that role well because as everyone knows he drops deep.

The only CF we have that fits the 4-2-3-1 system is Rooney, doesn't work the same with Young at CAM or Milner at CAM.

By system I mean more than the formation, if Rooney plays well England play well if Rooney has an off game England fail. That's how it's been under Capello, the entire game is reliant on Rooney the entire World Cup campaign centered around Rooney. It's more than the fact he's the 'star' of England, it's gotten to the point where we have worked on a system that suits the drop off CF of Wayne Rooney that unless the system is changed I can't see England doing well at all.

Maybe it has been Capello just pandering to Rooney to get the best out of him, either way England are ultra dependent on Rooney and they need some time without him. Bent is good enough, so long as someone does the leg work for him. The game goes by Bent so often because of the type of player he is, you can't go into a Championship relying solely on him. He's the type of player who can have a bad game and still pop up with a goal, but what if he plain old has a bad game scores nothing and England do horribly.

Without Rooney dictating everything and calling for the ball from the midfield, this could be a blessing in disguise going forward. The England future involves Wayne Rooney but I'd like it to be less dependent on him.

How the **** is building a midfield with Lampard and Gerrard in it suited to England, when it has categorically failed for the past decade? Ironically, pandering to those two and trying to fit them into an unworkable system is what got us in a mess for so long. But now we are pandering to Rooney in a system that suits the whole team, it's a bad thing? ...

It's not like Rooney asked to have the team built around him, like it or not, he is our best player, and to reject a system he fits in just because it fits him is ridiculous, it happens to have shown signs of being very promising in certain games. It's not like other players are being disadvantaged playing it, Young is on fire, Bent has scored a fair few, Parker and Wilshere were both two of our best players when they played together. It's a **** sight better than when we were forcing a midfield of Lampard/Gerrard.

Parker, Cleverely, Rodwell, Sturridge, Young, Wilshere, Welbeck, Gerrard etc all have one thing in common, they play best in a 4-2-3-1/ 4-4-1-1. Why on earth would we play 4-3-3 just to accomodate Lampard. We can play 4-2-3-1 easily without Rooney

Well that's just not true. A year ago Rooney was supreme as a false nine lone striker. Just because he doesn't play it at the moment doesn't mean he's not really good at it. He has the attributes to play as anything from a trequartista to a lone striker, really.

Gerrard, Wilshere and Sturridge are all well capable there, and Young and Milner put their own slant on the position. Wilshere and in particular Gerrard are naturals there.

Really. How about against Wales, away? I don't remember Rooney being a drop off striker there - indeed, he played on the left - and moreover he didn't have a good game.

We're perfectly capable of doing well in another formation, it's just there is no point to it because the 4-2-3-1 is easily our best.

Funnily enough, there's a reason Rooney dictates everything and calls for the ball from midfield: he's our playmaker. It's what he does, it's his job, and it's what we need. Admittedly we could do well with another playmaker in our starting line-up, as the best nations have at least two (Germany have two in Ozil/Schweinsteiger and Spain field three with Xavi, Xabi Alonso and Iniesta. By contrast, Brazil struggle if Ganso is contained and Argentina are slowly trying to wean themselves off a reliance on Messi) but there's a simple answer to that. Jack Wilshere provides the deep-lying passing support and more crucially provides us with another source of creativity if Rooney is shackled. Likewise, Tom Huddlestone.