Why do people still think Newcastle are a big club?

• Thread starter Thread starter alexjp123
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 138
  • Views Views 11K
Status
Not open for further replies.

alexjp123

Reaction score
I'm amazed by the latest news that Demba Ba has decided to go to Newcastle following their signing of Yohan Cabaye.

As an Everton fan, I can't comprehend why Ba would choose them over us? -other than money of course-

And why would Cabaye leave the French champions more a mid table premiership team?

Everton have been consistently performing well over the past few seasons, with a proven manager and plenty of quality players.

Alan Pardew is borderline at best, and I can't really think of more than 1 or 2 quality players at Newcastle. It seems players are still attracted by the stadium and past success.

Once the Andy Carroll money has run out, they'll just go back to being a debt-ridden club owned by a fat slob wallowing around the middle of the prem. Everton will still be performing miracles out of nothing and causing the top 4 a headache.

If Newcastle have matched Ba's salary demands of £70k/week then maybe I'm not so upset, as to me he seems the type of player who will have 1 good season and then just get lazy thinking he's better than he is.

Rant over

Uhhhhh ohhhhh! Look out!

I still like Newcastle as a club. Will anyone win more cups going to Everton over Newcastle anyway?

Because Newcastle is a big city, they have a large stadium, a good history and arguably most importantly, they have one of the biggest and best fan bases in the country. So yeah, that's why.

Bitter much? Clubs miss out on players all the time, and a lot of the time it is because of factors that we aren't even aware of.

Big city, big stadium, a lot of, loyal fans. Challengers for the league a while back, Champions League a while back (same as everton, but still). If someone had to choose to buy the two Everton/N'castle, N'castle would be bought.

Newcastle are a big club. Just because they dont win trophies dosent mean they are a small club. Chelsea win trophies on a regular basis but possibly are still smaller than Newcastle and Everton at this current moment. They have a huge fan base in a massive city with a huge ground, says it all really. Everton for me are struggling to move forward and have been stuck in the same position for ages now mainly because of the lack of funds. But Newcastle do have the funds and backing to possibly move forward.

Newcastle is a big club. And although I don't understand why Cabaye would go to them, I could see why someone who wasn't going to get a guaranteed CL spot next season would choose them.

Everton is a club in huge debt, Newcastle is not, end of it. Not saying Everton is not better than Newcastle, just that I can't see them evolve much the coming years.

Newcastle is a big club. And although I don't understand why Cabaye would go to them, I could see why someone who wasn't going to get a guaranteed CL spot next season would choose them.

Everton is a club in huge debt, Newcastle is not, end of it. Not saying Everton is not better than Newcastle, just that I can't see them evolve much the coming years.

Cabaye went to Newcastle because the PL is a better league and he has as good as trebled his wages.

Yes, in recent years Everton have done "better" than Newcastle in terms of league position- But Cabaye is a complete stranger to English Football, and Ba is relatively new. Taking this into terms, I would say abroad Newcastle would be bigger and more-well known than Everton. Of course, Cabaye and Ba probably grew up watching the great Newcastle team on Sky, with Keegan as manager when they were fighting for titles. Does Cabaye know a great alot about Everton? Probably not.

Also, Newcastle obviosly would of offered more £££ to both players, but for settling down proper in England they both want to go somewhere they would feel more settled at- Maybe they see Newcastle in Everton's position in 12 months time? Who knows. And well, nobody will really know the full reason- Its a personal choice based on many factors, not just who's finished higher in the league. Its a dangerous and naive game to go around calling your team better than another team.

A Similar situation also to Jack Stephens- He turned down Fulham to go to Southampton. Why? Because he felt Southamptons Youth Academy would do better for his career, and I assume Cabaye/Ba feel the same about Newcastle.

As an Everton fan, I can safely say our performances have hardly been consistent. In some cases they've been truly woeful. Two very slow starts has cost us dearly. Yeah we've finished in the top 7, but it was pretty dam lucky. It'll be a good, good while before we even get near the top 4 again. So, Newcastle United is a much more sensible move. Simple as.

As an Everton fan, I can safely say our performances have hardly been consistent. In some cases they've been truly woeful. Two very slow starts has cost us dearly. Yeah we've finished in the top 7, but it was pretty dam lucky. It'll be a good, good while before we even get near the top 4 again. So, Newcastle United is a much more sensible move. Simple as.

Plus Newcastle can probably afford higher wages/extra bonuses :P

Bitter much?

99% of Everton fans are the same unfortunately.

ajt is one of a very small number of non-bitter Evertonians.

Last edited:
99% of Everton fans are the same unfortunately.

ajt is one of a very small number of non-bitter Evertonians.

Pretty much tbh. Pointless being bitter as it solves nothing at all. Just have to accept things as they are, be realistic and hope it gets better in the future.

Even if they are not in their best moment it is clear that they ARE a big club.
And for many reasons, others had named them before me.

Others have been through difficult time and they're still great.
Look at Atlético de Madrid here in Spain, Juventus, River Plate in Argentina now,...

Actual success is one way to be "big" but its not the only way....simple fact, if Newcastle built a 60,000 seater stadium, they would probably fill it (in fact St James is already just over 52,000 now...). That makes them a "big club".

As for Newcastle going into debt after the 35m Carroll money is gone, i have never heard such utter bullshit... Pardew, Ashley and Llambias have all explained that none of the 35m will be touched... MA is a business man with a business mind, and as long as he is in charge, there is no chance of the club going into debt... he will be even more careful now that the UEFA financial fair play rules are coming in

As for Newcastle going into debt after the 35m Carroll money is gone, i have never heard such utter bullshit... Pardew, Ashley and Llambias have all explained that none of the 35m will be touched... MA is a business man with a business mind, and as long as he is in charge, there is no chance of the club going into debt... he will be even more careful now that the UEFA financial fair play rules are coming in
Do you think he cares? If he would, then he would have sold the club already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back