Why England isn't good in sports like: ?

Marko8

Reaction score
Why England isn't good in very well known sports in the world like:
- basketball
- handball
- waterpolo

... this are first sports who can I remember now. I never saw England on either European Championship or World.. Why? You have conditions for these sports, but obviously many of peoples not interested fot that

Because hardly anybody plays them here and I wouldn't have a clue on the rules of handball and I don't know where I would play water polo, other than in water ;)

Main sports in England aren't any of those. It's mainly football, rugby, golf and cricket.

Probably because they aren't advertised as well as say football or cricket.
You're always hearing about football in the papers or on T.V so it has become more known.

you can say the same about a lot of country, such as America aren't good at Rugby/Cricket and they never used to be good at Football but now the sport has grown over there, they are getting better. So them sports you mentioned just aren't grown enough yet.

Off topic kind of but my mate is in one of the best teams in Britain for Water Polo :D

Nor are they good at skiing, ski-shooting, telemark and other manly ski-related sports.

At least the vikings taught them how to row.

Its the same reason that Americans don’t play Cricket and Rugby. Different cultures.

Basketball holds no appeal to me what so ever, Neither does baseball. but I can happily sit with a crate of beer and watch an entire Cricket 1dayer!

Different Cultures = Different Sports.....

At least we can spell colour correctly!

you can say the same about a lot of country, such as America aren't good at Rugby/Cricket and they never used to be good at Football but now the sport has grown over there, they are getting better. So them sports you mentioned just aren't grown enough yet.

Off topic kind of but my mate is in one of the best teams in Britain for Water Polo :D
i'm from Argentina and we'll never play cricket, but Rugby has a lot of supporters, mainly because we finished 3rd in the last world cup. Now a lot of kids started playing Rugby now.

Handball is an amateur sport here, but a lot of schools teach the kids the rules, and make them play handball, and if we do a good world cup (yesterday Argentina qualyfied for the first time in history to the second round of the handball world cup) it will get more popular, more young kids will be interested in playing, and in the future we'll have a lot of good players.

Isn't basketball on the rise here? Or at least it was while I was a kid, maybe my perception is skewed by the recent success of the Newcastle Eagles though.

Well, I'm not English, I'm Irish but I will throw in a comment anyway*.

Basketball - Bounce, bounce, bounce, pass...Score!! (Other side).. Bounce, bounce, bounce, pass...Score!!
It was invented as a way to keep fit and should have stayed that way. It's a typical 'quick gratification' type game, which suits the American 'instant everything' attitude.

Handball - See above (but bounce it less and make it Scandinavian) ;)

Waterpolo - The weather in England and Ireland does not really lend itself to thoughts of jumping about semi naked in a swimming pool with other men for fun.

*Contains personal opinion only.

No no... what you need to do is look at it this way.

All the sports the British are good in, only a human can excel at. Put a shark in a race against Michael Phelps and it'll destroy him. However, put a shark on a bike and tell him to race Chris Hoy?

All the sports the British are good in, only a human can excel at. Put a shark in a race against Michael Phelps and it'll destroy him. However, put a shark on a bike and tell him to race Chris Hoy?

Phelps cam beat sharks easily

Phelps > Sharks ;)

Michael Phelps top speed: Roughly 4 miles per hour.

Tiger shark top speed: About 25 miles per hour.

|)

Phelps top speed is 4 Miles as there is no point in embarrassing his fellow competitors. Otherwise Phelps would beat Shark with 10 pound tied to him :p

No, because England doesn't care about those "nothing" sports. Or you just suck so badly at it that you don't want to play it (6)

well that's sort of what i meant

no one in England gives a toss about them, and with good reason. also lets not try new sports until we're better at the ones we got

well that's sort of what i meant

no one in England gives a toss about them, and with good reason. also lets not try new sports until we're better at the ones we got

Speak for yourself, basketball is an amazing sport.

I'm sure we could train a monkey to replace Barry and a Giraffe to replace Crouch to be fair.