Why horror tackles like those from Nigel de Jong and Karl Henry show referees must...

• Thread starter Thread starter Calum
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 75
  • Views Views 4K
I doubt if the Messis, Ronaldos and Kakas would want to come to the EPL right now, unless you catch them young.

I disagree with you Stu. I don't think that is his style of play. He clearly got the ball, he didn't intend on hurting Ben Arfa in my opinion. Nobody knows what his intentions were and we never will know unless he comes out and says "I meant to break his leg" because even if he comes out and says "I didn't mean to hurt him" everyone will call him a liar.

His style of play is that he's a dogged defensive midfielder. He's there to break up play and put in those 50/50 tackles that the flair players in his sides midfield don't want to put in. Holland team it's him and Van Bommel, because Sneijder/Robben/Van der Vaart and co won't go in for a 50/50 whole heartedly. Van Bommel and de Jong will. Simple as.

At Man City only De Jong and Vieira in my opinion will go in to every 50/50 whole heartedly. Players like David Silva would run around the other side of the ball to take a touch and run away with it rather than get stuck in. Had any other Man City player made that tackle and the same injury had occurred to Ben Arfa, nobody would be saying it was a horror tackle, it would just be a freak accident. It was a lot like Antonio Valencia's leg break. It was a fair tackle and the player was just unlucky.

If it was Milner who made the tackle and he had hurt Ben Arfa it would have been a freak accident. But because it's De Jong, who has a past of reckless tackles it's immediately considered a horror challenge. I'm not saying that he hasn't been wild in the past, but on this occasion, I believe he's done nothing wrong and that Ben Arfa was just unlucky.

I don't think the players are thugs, just tough tacklers. Joey Barton is a thug. It's just in some peoples persona to go in hard, unfortunately people get hurt in the process.

I don't think the players are thugs, just tough tacklers. Joey Barton is a thug. It's just in some peoples persona to go in hard, unfortunately people get hurt in the process.

Barton was a thug. He has changed his attitude over the past year or two, and has become a professional.

Barton was a thug. He has changed his attitude over the past year or two, and has become a professional.

You called Joe bias, but that's pretty bias. He's still a thug. Maybe not as bad as he used to be. But once you've stubbed a cigarette out in someone's eye and punched up your own team mate in training to the point where his eyes were swollen shut, then you're a thug.

I mean we have to be careful because some players do go in hard but win the ball when they do. I used John Terry as a example everyone knows he has no pace so he uses the slide tackle alot and as someone remimded me he put in 1 really awful challenge that i can remember but that is it, Terry proberly does these tackles 4-5 times a game even more sometimes. Its all about the coaching and knowing when to stay on your feet and when you can go to ground.

You called Joe bias, but that's pretty bias. He's still a thug. Maybe not as bad as he used to be. But once you've stubbed a cigarette out in someone's eye and punched up your own team mate in training to the point where his eyes were swollen shut, then you're a thug.

To be fair, he hasn't done anything like that recently. Even in the Wolves game, where he was targetted mercilessly, he didn't retaliate.

Doesn't matter whether he's done it recently.

Had this discussion on another thread about 'Prisoners being set free'. If you murder someone, and go to jail for 35 years and come out a changed man, you're still a murderer.

Joey Barton is a thug. He's not as bad as he used to be granted, but he is a thug nonetheless. All it will take is one person to push him too far (like a Gary Neville) and he'll flip again.

What about Martin Taylor? I hate him!! He just ****** Eduardo forever :'(

Good point. Martin Taylor literally ruined Eduardo's career with a genuine horror tackle.

But nobody is calling for his head?

Good point. Martin Taylor literally ruined Eduardo's career with a genuine horror tackle.

But nobody is calling for his head?

I truly think that season we would have won the league if it never injured Eduardo as he was on top form before his injury

I truly think that season we would have won the league if it never injured Eduardo as he was on top form before his injury

I always liked Eduardo. Last of the true poachers.

De Jong is a fantastic player, no one can say different, if anyone watched the chelsea game they will see he had drogba in his back pocket, if drogba gets subbed, hes either injured or had a shocking game, this happened because of de jong. He is just a rough tackler, he hit ben arfa badly, as DMF said if milner or barry had done this it would not be a horror challenge.

As Stu said, he's off the drink and sorted out now. If you want reckless Newcastle players try Alan Smith, he doesn't have the timing, speed or technique to slide, yet he does and makes bad challenges, making him both dangerous and a liability.

As for the persona bullshit, that's like saying "Oh it's his persona to dive, it's fine" or "It's his persona to swing his elbows when challenging". There are hard, and there are reckless challenges, De Jong makes numerous reckless challenges, including two scissors (at least) in one game against Newcastle, the kung fu kick, etc.

yes! true.. and one thing I can't understand. How he got Only 3 games punishment?

Doesn't matter whether he's done it recently.

Had this discussion on another thread about 'Prisoners being set free'. If you murder someone, and go to jail for 35 years and come out a changed man, you're still a murderer.

Joey Barton is a thug. He's not as bad as he used to be granted, but he is a thug nonetheless. All it will take is one person to push him too far (like a Gary Neville) and he'll flip again.

Not one for second chances, huh? If we took that approach to murderers, may as well introduce the death penalty.

Back