Why horror tackles like those from Nigel de Jong and Karl Henry show referees must...

• Thread starter Thread starter Calum
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 75
  • Views Views 4K
I dont understand what the big fuss is about. Some of these namby pamby players would have cried to mummy if they had to play during the 70's and 80's. There were far less incidents back then of players legs getting broken than there is today. They should all man up and stop complaining and understand that football is still a physical game. Players like Souness, Hunter and Bremner were all nasty tacklers but they never got crucified for a miss timed tackle like De Jong and co. of today seem to.

Sooner or later you will not be allowed to tackle anyone at all. Accidents happen on a football pitch from miss time tackles and all those complaining about it should take up a tamer sport if they cant handle a little bit of physical contact. Its geting boring hearing managers and certain sections of Arsenal fans complaining about it now.

---------- Post added at 08:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:10 AM ----------

Interesting Article about it.

Some of the greatest players down the years have been strong, no nonsense central midfielders, players who commentators crave to label as being a ‘battler’ or a ‘midfield general’. In the modern game a quality defensive midfielder can play a key role in providing teams with a balance that allows attacking talent to burst forward, while providing an anchorage and protection to the back four. Roy Keane, Patrick Vieira and Gennaro Gattuso are prime examples of the archetypal defensive midfielder who’s aggressive demeanor on the football pitch is encouraged and loved by the fans of their team. However in the eyes of the opposition, players and fans alike, here are players who are simply out to take advantage of the fact football is a contact sport.

There are few leagues in the world that can match the physicality of the English Premier League. The average British player, rightly or wrongly, has been imprinted with a stereotype of ‘strength over technicality’, in that height and power matter a great deal more than the ability to spot and play a weighted through ball. While teams such as Blackburn and Stoke continue to play effective football with such a physical tactical approach to the game such stereotypes and arguments will continue to persist. This has led to the English game becoming the stomping ground for footballers who are not afraid to get physical and throw themselves into a tackle. Consequently various foreign players who have come in to the league from abroad have also relished the physical side of the game.

The recent Premier League match between Manchester City and Newcastle saw Nigel De Jong break Hatem Ben Arfa’s leg in two separate places. It is fortunate for Ben Arfa that he remains in an early stage of his career, for older players it would be difficult to return as the same player before the injury occurred. The challenge has consequently led to action by the Dutch national team as Bert Van Marwijk has decided that enough is enough for a player with a particularly chequered past in regards to reckless challenges

For Van Marwijk to so publicly criticise one of his regular selections can be seen as being a case of double standards. Let’s not forget that this was the man who sent his Holland team into the World Cup final prepared to kick the living daylights out of their Spanish counterparts, with De Jong very much at the heart of the plan. De Jong’s tackle also comes on the same weekend as Wolves captain Karl Henry’s awful challenge on Wigan’s Jordi Gomez, which could have potentially left the player with a hugely serious injury. Two horror tackles in one weekend must have the Football Association contemplating methods of prevention and deterrence.
However, is the uproar against players like De Jong and Henry simply an example of English football taking a more continental approach to the idea of physicality? Looking back over the past few decades it becomes apparent that football has become much more controlled in terms of how it permits strong challenges. During the 1970′s Chelsea’s Ron Harris was given the nickname ‘Chopper’ due to his approach to defending which included taking the man as much as he took the ball. De Jong is simply a modern example of such a player, and he is not alone. Mark Van Bommel, Lee Cattermole and Javier Mascherano instantly spring to mind as physical, competitive players who appreciate the contact of the sport. So it is clear that while there seems to be a wider acknowledgement of poor tackles in the modern game, there are still players whose sole purpose is to get in the face of the opposition by breaking down potential attacks. This is not a position that is going to disappear, especially in the wake of the 4231 formation which has become rife across the globe in it’s attempt to become the modern equivalent of the 442.

Roy Keane’s disgraceful tackle on Alf Inge Haaland, which effectively resulted in the Norwegian retiring from football in 2003, still lingers in the mind when you consider whether there is still a place for physicality in the modern game. Keane’s admission that he deliberately set out to cause Haaland harm when he committed the challenge sets an ever so dangerous precedent which makes one wonder about how many players seek to cause damage to their opponents. If you consider that a football pitch is ultimately a ‘no holds barred’ mentality, as players are able to commit grievous acts of violence, which are consequently punished by a footballing body, then there is little deterrent to stop players committing to such career threatening challenges. However the instinctive nature of football, and sport in general, means that such fouls are bound to happen at some point or other and attempts to avoid contact would rip the heart and soul out of the game.

http://football-globe.net/2010/10/04/is-football-becoming-too-physical/

Last edited:
Funny how the number of "accidents" just go on increasing, no? And funny how some of the select few cars, I mean players, are the ones susceptible to it ;)

And take a look around, it is not only arsenal fans complaining.

so, he is a changed person ?

How am I supposed to know? I'm not even a Newcastle supporter, and I don't exactly keep up to date with them outside of their matches. I watched little of last season's Championship past Palace matches.

I can only go on what I have (or, more precisely, haven't) seen over the past year or so, and if an outsider were to see Joey Barton right now he wouldn't see anything particularly amiss.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unkIVvjZc9Y"]YouTube - Ronnie Johns - Chopper - Harden the **** Up[/ame]

IanC, but the game HAS changed from the 70's and 80's, whether we like it or not, the speed of the so much faster, so a reckless or mistimed challenge has a much greater effect. Its not just arsenal fans complaining about it. The vast majority of the continent dislikes reckless challenges and that attitiude i talked about earlier, are we so arrogant as a country to believe we are right and they are all wrong like a said there is definitely a place for aggressive ball winning, its a vital part of the game, but the line between that, and reckless nonsense like de jong et al has become blurred

IanC, but the game HAS changed from the 70's and 80's, whether we like it or not, the speed of the so much faster, so a reckless or mistimed challenge has a much greater effect. Its not just arsenal fans complaining about it. The vast majority of the continent dislikes reckless challenges and that attitiude i talked about earlier, are we so arrogant as a country to believe we are right and they are all wrong like a said there is definitely a place for aggressive ball winning, its a vital part of the game, but the line between that, and reckless nonsense like de jong et al has become blurred

Yes I realise the game has changed mate but just because the rest of Europe dislikes our style of football why should we change for the sake of them. If players from the continent did not like our style then they would not come to play over here at risk of picking up an injury. I am worried more of the fact that they are trying to make football less physical. Sooner or later it will end up with no tackling at all and then what? It would not be worth watching. It was mainly the continental players that introduced diving in this country and the cheating element that exists. Was that eradicated because we did not like it here? No.

Yes I am old school on this and when a player went into a tackle and was commited then the player with the ball had 3 choices, use his skill to beat the challenge and make the tackler look dumb, get out the way totally or get crunched.

Yes there are some tackles more suspect than others but since Wenger started his little crusade over it the goon fans have always been the first to complain about it. Football is a physical game and people should step back and realise that before jumping on the bandwagon before we all see tag football introduced and ruin the game even more.

Yes I realise the game has changed mate but just because the rest of Europe dislikes our style of football why should we change for the sake of them. If players from the continent did not like our style then they would not come to play over here at risk of picking up an injury. I am worried more of the fact that they are trying to make football less physical. Sooner or later it will end up with no tackling at all and then what? It would not be worth watching. It was mainly the continental players that introduced diving in this country and the cheating element that exists. Was that eradicated because we did not like it here? No.

You kinda contradicted yourself with the first two statements. You said that Europe dislikes our style of play, and then stated that if they didn't like it they wouldn't play here. Fallacies within that specific statement aside, most of the Premier League is foreign, so one of the two statements is untrue.You and I both know that tackling will never disappear from the game. It would be impossible to play football without tackling, it'd end up just like basketball.

Yes I am old school on this and when a player went into a tackle and was commited then the player with the ball had 3 choices, use his skill to beat the challenge and make the tackler look dumb, get out the way totally or get crunched.

I see. So what choice did, say, Xabi Alonso have in the WC final? He was watching the ball, had an uncontested header, and De Jong fly kicked him in the chest. Option 1 is way out - what skill can you do to avoid a kick to the chest? Option 2 was also impossible. He was committed, it was his ball anyway. Seems like nowadays, Option 3 is the only way.

So, you want a return to the days where Bremner et al just flew into tackle and horribly injured some players? You actually want people to get injured, to have extremely dangerous tackles become common? Because that's how it is going. And no matter what you say, I'm sure I and the majority of football fans think that the Premier League now, with it's fantastic one-touch, passing play by the better teams produces some of the best football you could hope for.

Yes there are some tackles more suspect than others but since Wenger started his little crusade over it the goon fans have always been the first to complain about it. Football is a physical game and people should step back and realise that before jumping on the bandwagon before we all see tag football introduced and ruin the game even more.

Yeah, the Gunners have always been the first, but they're RIGHT. Football is becoming dangerous now, far too dangerous than should be permitted.

Tackle hard, tackle FAIR. Don't just try to wipe out man and ball. That isn't football, no matter how much the old schoolers protest that "it was like that in their day". Sure, it was like that in their day, but that was shoddy, shoddy football by today's standards. We've learnt things from Europe and South America. Yes, I agree, bad things such as diving and complaining to the ref have become common, and would have been frowned upon in times past. However, we've learnt great stuff too, a reliance on better technical skills, one-touch passing, beautiful football.

What De Jong did on Alonso was against the rules. He had a high foot in. That is assault. Thats not what i was on about. I am on about the challenges that happen to players week in and week out who know they are going to get a challenge coming in on them and then because it is slightly miss-timed the player who commited the tackle is then crucified for it. There is the difference.

What De Jong did on Alonso was against the rules. He had a high foot in. That is assault. Thats not what i was on about. I am on about the challenges that happen to players week in and week out who know they are going to get a challenge coming in on them and then because it is slightly miss-timed the player who commited the tackle is then crucified for it. There is the difference.

Right, but if we didn't criticise these misstimed tackles, or, say ignore the people who do (sound familiar?), then we're only encouraging people subconsciously. They won't fear repercussions. If they misstime a tackle and injure someone, they'll think that hey, that's okay, cause nobody told them off. And then you eventually end up where we are now, with Henry and De Jong seriously injuring people because they don't think that timing a tackle matters any more.

Think the only way is to start hitting players in the pocket when it comes to poor or reckless play. If I played for Man City as a holding midfielder, I would want to hold my place, keep my game-fees coming in on top of my ridiculous salary and tackle like a demon because if I don't, I'm severely out of pocket. Start fining players 2 weeks wages for mistiming tackles and give that money to charity/into a medical fund to pay for injured players of all divisions and we'll start to see people tone it down a bit. A red card -and- not being able to buy a new Ferrari?

Right, but if we didn't criticise these misstimed tackles, or, say ignore the people who do (sound familiar?), then we're only encouraging people subconsciously. They won't fear repercussions. If they misstime a tackle and injure someone, they'll think that hey, that's okay, cause nobody told them off. And then you eventually end up where we are now, with Henry and De Jong seriously injuring people because they don't think that timing a tackle matters any more.

Do I think people are over reacting a little bit then yes I do. Accidents happen in the game and thats what happens when someone miss times the challenge. They should not be crucified over it by the press and everyone else. The player who commited the offence knows he has done wrong and miss timed it and does not need the whole country telling him how bad a person he is. Its getting blown out of proportion.

I have had my rant and put my opinion over so for me thats my part of the discussion over with. Im going for a beer.

Hatem Ben Arfa is a real talet and Aaron Ramsey showed so much potential...who reckons they will be able to get back to their former ability after not playing for 4-9 months.;...look what happned to Fat Ronaldo and Eduardo, a shadow of themselves......thugs like Karl Henry and De Jong should be banned I reckon until they get their head straight....Karl Henry is a real thug,remember his tackles Joey Barton this season,I think the Hollan Coach did a sensible thing by dropping De Jong

---------- Post added at 11:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:05 PM ----------

Do I think people are over reacting a little bit then yes I do. Accidents happen in the game and thats what happens when someone miss times the challenge. They should not be crucified over it by the press and everyone else. The player who commited the offence knows he has done wrong and miss timed it and does not need the whole country telling him how bad a person he is. Its getting blown out of proportion.

I have had my rant and put my opinion over so for me thats my part of the discussion over with. Im going for a beer.

I think the likes of Karl Henry and De Jong mistime the tackle a bit 2 much eh......so ur saying that every horrible tackle they have done was mistimed cos looking at the the tackle on the likes of Xabi Alonso and Joey Barton,I dont reckon you can misitme those tackles

Time have changed also mate so u have to live with the times not moan about how if theser players played in the 70s and 80s they wouold go crying to mummy,I reckon all of our current footballers would do that if they played in that era...and what u are trying to say is that thse tackles should not be punished... I am pretty sre if u were Aaron Ramsey or Ben Arfa you would completely disagree with this opinion

You are trying to suggest that to make the game more fun for you to watch....it is ok for 1-2 players to ruin their footballing career, I completely disagree

Hatem Ben Arfa is a real talet and Aaron Ramsey showed so much potential...who reckons they will be able to get back to their former ability after not playing for 4-9 months.;...look what happned to Fat Ronaldo and Eduardo, a shadow of themselves......thugs like Karl Henry and De Jong should be banned I reckon until they get their head straight....Karl Henry is a real thug,remember his tackles Joey Barton this season,I think the Hollan Coach did a sensible thing by dropping De Jong

---------- Post added at 11:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:05 PM ----------

I think the likes of Karl Henry and De Jong mistime the tackle a bit 2 much eh......so ur saying that every horrible tackle they have done was mistimed cos looking at the the tackle on the likes of Xabi Alonso and Joey Barton,I dont reckon you can misitme those tackles

Time have changed also mate so u have to live with the times not moan about how if theser players played in the 70s and 80s they wouold go crying to mummy,I reckon all of our current footballers would do that if they played in that era...and what u are trying to say is that thse tackles should not be punished... I am pretty sre if u were Aaron Ramsey or Ben Arfa you would completely disagree with this opinion

You are trying to suggest that to make the game more fun for you to watch....it is ok for 1-2 players to ruin their footballing career, I completely disagree

Injuries happen in a match from mis-timed challenges its always happened. If a player is commited to a challenge then they cant pull out. There is too many people condeming others and trying to become judge, jury and executioner.

Your last statement is completely untrue about me as I have always supported a team that is based on principles of good football and not being a physical side.

Yes, I and everyone else understand accidents happen in games, but we want to cut them to a minimum. This is what I have been saying. When someone mistimes a challenge and breaks someone's leg, if the player in question is someone like De Jong or Henry who have a history of bad tackles, then yes, they deserve to be vilified in the press.

Odd that you should say the second part, because I haven't seen any remorse from De Jong, and Henry made an apology (though, notably, not to the player) under duress. Personally, I think if someone's leg is broken and their footballing career put under threat, we have a certain right to blow it slightly out of proportion and tell a dirty player what we think of them.

Injuries happen in a match from mis-timed challenges its always happened. If a player is commited to a challenge then they cant pull out. There is too many people condeming others and trying to become judge, jury and executioner.

Yeah, but they should commit to a tackle without A) the intent of hurting the person and B) bad timing. I feel we, as football fans, have a right to pass judgement on a player's actions, and we have a right to condemn if we feel they deserve it. Whether they deserve it or not it up for debate, but I will defend to the death the public's right to be moral high ground holding arseholes.

Your last statement is completely untrue about me as I have always supported a team that is based on principles of good football and not being a physical side.

Eh? Since when did this prove anything? I've always supported Palace, and for the last ten years we've played uncultured hoof-ball. Doesn't mean I don't like good passing football.

Eh? Since when did this prove anything? I've always supported Palace, and for the last ten years we've played uncultured hoof-ball. Doesn't mean I don't like good passing football.

Because he is suggesting I like to see a physical game all the time thats why when obviously I support a team that has principles down the years of attractive football. What is it to you anyhow.

some of the tackle are really dangerous, especially the de Jong and Smith one, but I hardly think the Shawcross one should be considered as a dangerous. Shawcross went in hard, but he had no intention of injurying anyone, when players like de jong have done this on countless occassions

Back