Why horror tackles like those from Nigel de Jong and Karl Henry show referees must...

• Thread starter Thread starter Calum
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 75
  • Views Views 4K
Not one for second chances, huh? If we took that approach to murderers, may as well introduce the death penalty.

It depends why you lost your first chance whether or not you deserve a second chance.

Anyway, it's off topic.

We're all entitled to our opinions. Mine is that it wasn't a horror tackle and that had it been anyone other than De Jong making that tackle then it would have been deemed a freak accident.

Yours is that it was deliberate and he's a thug. Each to their own, we'll just have to agree to disagree I guess..

It was a fair tackle by De-Jong. Now a Martin Taylor on Eduardo, or an Ian Black tackle on Jelavic, where the tackler makes no attempt to play the ball, is a thuggish challenge. Indeed, a problem with refereeing is reputations, for example with the Ian Black on Jelavic, if Kevin Thomson or Scott Brown had made that challenge, do you think they'd have been sent off ? I think so too.

Ultimately, I'm of the opinion thuggery is just that, a scummy, scummy thing to do, but there is still a place in the game for hard tackles.

Even if that tackle was unlucky as a whole his career is littered with very questionnable tackling. And this is coming from someone who said a few weeks ago i thought he was fantastic against Chelsea. Now for those calling for leniency, what about the victim? The guy is constantly pushing the boundary between tough and reckless. There has to be a clear line drawn with an appropriate punishment between what's acceptable and what's not. He's starting to be like a hockey goon.

As Stu said, he's off the drink and sorted out now. If you want reckless Newcastle players try Alan Smith, he doesn't have the timing, speed or technique to slide, yet he does and makes bad challenges, making him both dangerous and a liability.

As for the persona bullshit, that's like saying "Oh it's his persona to dive, it's fine" or "It's his persona to swing his elbows when challenging". There are hard, and there are reckless challenges, De Jong makes numerous reckless challenges, including two scissors (at least) in one game against Newcastle, the kung fu kick, etc.

No because diving and swinging elbows are 2 very different things and are both against the laws of the game. Making tough challenges isn't.

Joey Barton is a thug. He's not as bad as he used to be granted, but he is a thug nonetheless. All it will take is one person to push him too far (like a Gary Neville) and he'll flip again.

What will it take to push him to far though?

As shown against Wolves, it takes a lot more to push him over the edge now. 2 years ago if he was subject to that sort of treatment he would have retalitated and probably would have lamped someone. Obviously after the Alonso tackle he did I wasn't a massive fan but I do believe Barton has changed his ways in the last 6 months/year or so.

As shown against Wolves, it takes a lot more to push him over the edge now. 2 years ago if he was subject to that sort of treatment he would have retalitated and probably would have lamped someone. Obviously after the Alonso tackle he did I wasn't a massive fan but I do believe Barton has changed his ways in the last 6 months/year or so.

I'm not denying that in the slightest. I said that. He is definitely alot better than he used to be when it comes to his temper etc. But he is still a thug.

I explained it with GodCubed. But again, guess we'll have to agree to disagree..

Good point. Martin Taylor literally ruined Eduardo's career with a genuine horror tackle.

But nobody is calling for his head?
er do you even remember the furore afterwards? everyone was calling for his head at the time

The saying 'a leopard never changes it spots' couldn't be more wrong. Some people can change. A lot of people do fall back to their old ways, but I truly think Barton realizes his immature ways, and realized he had to change. He said he would change his ways, after Newcastle decided not to terminate his contract when he was behind bars.

Some people just need to be given the incentives to change. And there are far worse people playing football(Marlon King etc)

the issue isnt just specifically about de jong, his was just one in a long line of tackles like it. the article is talking about that attitude of "let them know you're there", where players go in hard, maybe there's intent maybe there isnt, but they go in hard and reckless and without a **** for the player they go into. I'm not saying we should tiptoe into tackles. but there is aggressive ball wining and there is reckless nonsense, and somehow the line between the two has become very blurred.

The saying 'a leopard never changes it spots' couldn't be more wrong. Some people can change. A lot of people do fall back to their old ways, but I truly think Barton realizes his immature ways, and realized he had to change. He said he would change his ways, after Newcastle decided not to terminate his contract when he was behind bars.

Some people just need to be given the incentives to change. And there are far worse people playing football(Marlon King etc)

Some people can change, but what can't change is the ruined career of the Man City youth player whose eye Barton stubbed his cigarette out in. It's not just once he's fallen foul of the law too. I don't think that someone who has ruined another player's career and life should be able to play football again tbh. In nearly all decent jobs you wouldn't be re-employed after serving jail time, so I don't see why football should be any different, regardless of the fact that he might have 'changed'.

Some people can change, but what can't change is the ruined career of the Man City youth player whose eye Barton stubbed his cigarette out in. It's not just once he's fallen foul of the law too. I don't think that someone who has ruined another player's career and life should be able to play football again tbh.

Er, wasn't the person who got the cigarette in his eye permanently scarred, but regained full vision? Hardly ruining their life and career.

Some people can change, but what can't change is the ruined career of the Man City youth player whose eye Barton stubbed his cigarette out in. It's not just once he's fallen foul of the law too. I don't think that someone who has ruined another player's career and life should be able to play football again tbh. In nearly all decent jobs you wouldn't be re-employed after serving jail time, so I don't see why football should be any different, regardless of the fact that he might have 'changed'.
He and Marlon King have done their time, and deserve a second chance. Even Lee Hughes and Lee McCormick deserve 2nd chances.

Football is very different, it is about making money and staying in your division hence why the likes of King, Hughes and Barton have been welcomed back into the game, they're are good players at there respective level and could be the difference between going up or avoiding relegation this season. Most football clubs don't really have moral values, they are just corporate machines of Chairman's playthings.

De Jong is a thug, as is Karl Henry. If their type of play isn't stopped now, it is only a matter of time before a player is injured so badly that he will be forced to retire.

If either of them go anywhere near Essien, I'm buying a gun ^^)

the issue isnt just specifically about de jong, his was just one in a long line of tackles like it. the article is talking about that attitude of "let them know you're there", where players go in hard, maybe there's intent maybe there isnt, but they go in hard and reckless and without a **** for the player they go into. I'm not saying we should tiptoe into tackles. but there is aggressive ball wining and there is reckless nonsense, and somehow the line between the two has become very blurred.

It annoys me when people criticise Wenger, when he pretty much says what you've just said there. Wenger is spot on imo.

Last edited:
No because diving and swinging elbows are 2 very different things and are both against the laws of the game. Making tough challenges isn't.

The use of careless, reckless or excessive force in any challenge is also against the laws of the game.

It will never be eliminated from the game, because people make careers on doing what De Jong or Cattermole or even Roy Keane do to an extent. While the amount of money that there is in football at the amount stays in the game you will always get dirtiness, gamesmanship and cheats.

No, they will not be gone because there are people who are fully willing to condone such behaviour. If a vast majority of the fans started to dislike it, the FA will get tough and also ask the referees to get tough. It is as simple as that. Why do you think there was racism in sports earlier and now it is mostly gone? Because it doesn't have popular backing anymore and it has no official support at all.

Back