Why we must savour the rare English delicacy that is Jack Wilshere

• Thread starter Thread starter Joss
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 66
  • Views Views 4K

Joss

Reaction score
The 18-year-old is in England's senior and Under-21 squads, yet he is a delicate thing, to be handled, stroked and made much of

The English don't generally like delicate, fancy things. They make us nervous. We don't so much gild the lily as crumple the lily in our fist, stuff it in the back pocket of our jeans and replace it with a functional precast concrete structure that we can grow a hedge in front of.

This aversion to the gratuitously splendid comes out in the most everyday objects. In Spain, for example, a "ham sandwich" is a deliciously sensuous experience, the fruit of generations of high-end artisan indulgence. In England a ham sandwich is a cold, pink punch in the face, an angry thing marbled with gristly neglect. It is this roundhead quality that makes me feel nervous about Jack Wilshere, teenage midfield scamp and current bearer of the title of most promising young footballer in England. Watching Wilshere set up Arsenal's first goal against Partizan Belgrade last month with a brilliant backheel, two thoughts sprang to mind. First: Wilshere is really good. And second: how are we going to ruin him?

The question of how exactly English football is going ruin Wilshere may have been answered this week. Wilshere is in Fabio Capello's England squad for Tuesday's game against Montenegro. He is also the only senior player also included in the Under-21 squad, and the only senior player who could end up playing twice for England in four days before playing again for Arsenal next weekend. Arsène Wenger has already expressed his misgivings and it is easy to sympathise. Squeezing in an extra 90 minutes for our most prized, coltish 18-year-old is so obviously a bad idea that it is hard to resist the sense that it must, on some level, be rooted in the basic English urge to test and pummel, to boot-camp and basic-train.

"It is vital that he plays as much football as he can," Stuart Pearce said this week. But you only need to look at the faun‑like, impish Wilshere to appreciate how perverse this is. Wilshere is a delicate thing, to be dandled and stroked and made much of, perhaps even quartered in a very small secure dark room, some kind of sealed basement annexe. We don't produce this type of player very often. When we do we generally succeed in ruining them. Why?

Perhaps my own deeply simplistic, but also infallible, method of classifying English players may help. Particularly because, in Wilshere and Kevin Davies, this England squad offers polar opposites in the range of English archetypes. Davies deserves his call-up. He is a good player. More importantly, he offers hope to heavy-set thirtysomething men everywhere, men who may yet harbour dreams of still being allowed to join the fire brigade, or of receiving an urgent request from Simon Cowell to become the fifth member in an ad hoc emergency X Factor boyband, perhaps as the Older One who never really sings or dances but instead stands around looking sad in the background.

Davies is also a perfect example of the classic English good-bad player. The good-bad player plays "bad" football very well. He has a narrow focus, based around limiting what might possibly happen on a football pitch through a combination of strength and tactical intelligence. Closely related is the bad-good player: he appears to play "good" football – expansive, expressive football – but in practice only occasionally succeeds and is, in effect, ineffective.

Then there is the bad-bad player: the hatchet man with no discernible hatchet, the striker with surprisingly bad feet for such a small man. And finally there is the good-good player, who succeeds in playing "good" football with consistent success. This type, the type Wilshere might yet be, is rarer in England, where there is an innate distrust of the good-good player; particularly, as in Wilshere's case, where extreme technical excellence is unsupported by basic physical heft. These players, we feel, must be stretched and scoured. They must be, in some basic sense, exposed. Perhaps – and here we shrug helplessly – they will even be ruined.

There are various ways in which we could have gone about ruining Wilshere. The most common approach is to make the aspirant good-good player feel terribly guilty about his indolent gifts. This seems to have done the trick with Joe Cole, a player who, some years back adopted a furiously hair-shirt style of play, puffing about the pitch, knees high, chest out, in a manner that can only be described as apologetic. Alternatively, we might choose to ruin Wilshere by making him go a little bit mad. This seemed to work with poor old Glenn Hoddle, chastised over his lack of biceps and routinely cast as "an outsider", a socks-down maverick in the play of some great cultural conspiracy. Presumably we're happy now.

Maybe things will be different with Wilshere. He has Wenger on his side. He has a seductively tumbling, pigeon-toed gait and a dinky, prompting, short-passing range. And still he seems so delicate, so crushable in his unabashed good-goodness. Competitive international debuts will come and go and Wilshere is good enough to thrive. But what happens next may be as much a test of us as it is of him.

Barney Ronay - The Guardian

i like Jack alot and i hope he goes on to have a great playing carrear.

He should do, the way he's playing for Arsenal, and the fact he's playing at that level at all will give him a confidence boost, and really aid his development. He looks really improved from his loan to Bolton last season (he's toughened up which was one of the areas of concern for him - that he wasn't strong enough physically). Hope he plays/does well for England against Montenegro on Tuesday night...

He should do, the way he's playing for Arsenal, and the fact he's playing at that level at all will give him a confidence boost, and really aid his development. He looks really improved from his loan to Bolton last season (he's toughened up which was one of the areas of concern for him - that he wasn't strong enough physically). Hope he plays/does well for England against Montenegro on Tuesday night...
i think he will as long as he is under the hands of wenger, because he needs to be protected from the english media hype machine

Totally agree with your comment saying he has toughened up, i noticed watching him in the game against us that he was putting himself around abit which i think is a good sign and he should carry on doing this but only if your manager keeps on allowing him to do this. We all know Wenger dosen't like much contact in the sport which off topic he should consider that Song is awful at giving away stupid niggly fouls, but i think Mr Wilshere could go on to be a massive player for club and country and i hope so.

Totally agree with your comment saying he has toughened up, i noticed watching him in the game against us that he was putting himself around abit which i think is a good sign and he should carry on doing this but only if your manager keeps on allowing him to do this. We all know Wenger dosen't like much contact in the sport which off topic he should consider that Song is awful at giving away stupid niggly fouls, but i think Mr Wilshere could go on to be a massive player for club and country and i hope so.
not true about wenger and contact, he's been misquoted about that way way too much. he prefers the english game to the continent by miles (said so himself, ive put the article somewhere here) what he hates are tackles like de jong, the "let them know you're here" ones. Song isnt like that, hes just niggly, like essien, mikel fletcher can be.

Wilshere will put himself about, its something that wenger has encouraged from his side

great prospect for the future of English football. i have to admit though, i personally believe he would benefit playing elsewhere than Arsenal if he wants to process his career to the next level. thats not a pop at any Arsenal fan or anything, i just believe he would become a better players at United or Chelsea.

great prospect for the future of English football. i have to admit though, i personally believe he would benefit playing elsewhere than Arsenal if he wants to process his career to the next level. thats not a pop at any Arsenal fan or anything, i just believe he would become a better players at United or Chelsea.
he would not have developed that technical abililty and skill so early if he wasnt at arsenal. he doesnt need to be at united or chelsea to be a great player. for all we know he could be the one to take arsenal that step further

The 18-year-old is in England's senior and Under-21 squads, yet he is a delicate thing, to be handled, stroked and made much of
Careful, Dunc'll be along soon. :P

Don't we all. He's a tidy little player, and one we really don't produce much in England at all. We produce loads of athletic, box-to-box players, Lampard, Gerrard, Parker, Huddlestone etc, but we never could produce any kind of honest-to-god playmaker. Cole is our closest example, and he's A) pretty good, but inconsistent and B) a better player when played on the wing.

Wilshere's an absolutely sparkling prospect. I'd be willing to stick my neck out and say there isn't a more promising attacking mid in the world right now. I'd have him over all of them, even Canales.

Rubbish. There's not a better place to develop young talent in this country than Arsenal. He'll be given a semi-regular place in the starting line-up under the watchful and knowledgable eye of Arsene, and will be all the better for it. As madsheep said, if he wasn't at Arsenal he may well not have his superb technical skills, taught from a young age in Arsenal's academy, as a string to his bow.

Last edited:
Careful, Dunc'll be along soon. :P

Don't we all. He's a tidy little player, and one we really don't produce much in England at all. We produce loads of athletic, box-to-box players, Lampard, Gerrard, Parker, Huddlestone etc, but we never could produce any kind of honest-to-god playmaker. Cole is our closest example, and he's A) pretty good, but inconsistent and B) a better player when played on the wing.

Wilshere's an absolutely sparkling prospect. I'd be willing to stick my neck out and say there isn't a more promising attacking mid in the world right now. I'd have him over all of them, even Canales.
the last one we had was scholes, but he was more xavi/pirlo-like, whereas i would liken wilshere's style to iniesta

the last one we had was scholes, but he was more xavi/pirlo-like, whereas i would liken wilshere's style to iniesta

Yeah, and a player of Scholes' immense talent was utterly mishandled by England through a mixture of incompetence and stubbornness, which led to him quitting early. Agreed on the Iniesta front. Scholes, whilst superb, is a lot more one-dimensional than Wilshere in the same way Xavi is to Iniesta. Wilshere, like Iniesta, can pass, run, shoot, utilise close control, play on the wings, and is quick enough to trouble players.

Wilshere is a class act, something that very rarely comes out of England. Lets just hope that he does stay protected and then his talent can be nurtured.

Also, keep an eye out for Josh McEachran, the new Jack Wilshere as such.

Also, keep an eye out for Josh McEachran, the new Jack Wilshere as such.

Oh my god, you didn't just say that did you? :@

We're not labelling a 17 year old the next Jack Wilshere, please dear god no.

CWe produce loads of athletic, box-to-box players, Lampard, Gerrard, Parker, Huddlestone etc, but we never could produce any kind of honest-to-god playmaker.

I wouldn't describe Hoddlestone as an Athletic Box to Box midfielder :S He's more of a Playmaker.

Anyways... Wenger will now how to handle Wilshere, he's good with kids...

Yeah, and a player of Scholes' immense talent was utterly mishandled by England through a mixture of incompetence and stubbornness, which led to him quitting early. Agreed on the Iniesta front. Scholes, whilst superb, is a lot more one-dimensional than Wilshere in the same way Xavi is to Iniesta. Wilshere, like Iniesta, can pass, run, shoot, utilise close control, play on the wings, and is quick enough to trouble players.
In terms of how we have played football in this country over the last 20 years, scholes arrived 10 years too early for the game, great as he is/was then, think he in his prime would be exceptional right now. wilshere has arrived just in time, and under the right person. He will go very far

Yer because progressing at Arsenal ruins your chances of becoming of world class, just ask Fabregas. If anything he will become a better player playing at Arsenal as hes playing more first team football than he would get at Chelsea..

Oh my god, you didn't just say that did you? :@

We're not labelling a 17 year old the next Jack Wilshere, please dear god no.

I meant it in more of a way of he will be the next "gifted" player to come through, similarly to how Wilshere did, I wasnt comparing them as players as such.

This - I feel Wilshere is so versatile, and already has the close control that a player like him needs.

I wouldn't describe Hoddlestone as an Athletic Box to Box midfielder :S He's more of a Playmaker.

Point taken, you're right. Someone like Rodwell would probably be a better example.

In terms of how we have played football in this country over the last 20 years, scholes arrived 10 years too early for the game, great as he is/was then, think he in his prime would be exceptional right now. wilshere has arrived just in time, and under the right person. He will go very far

Let's hope so.

I meant it in more of a way of he will be the next "gifted" player to come through, similarly to how Wilshere did, I wasnt comparing them as players as such.

Fair enough then. He's looking very promising. Bit annoying that England waits ten years for a midfield playmaker and then two turn up at once, though.

Fair enough then. He's looking very promising. Bit annoying that England waits ten years for a midfield playmaker and then two turn up at once, though.

At least they've turned up though, how long will Wilshere get? (Obviously depending on match situation) but i'm sure he could do a job from the start.. or at least half an hour, otherwise there's not a lot of point bringing him apart from to train with the squad..

Back