Why we must savour the rare English delicacy that is Jack Wilshere

• Thread starter Thread starter Joss
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 66
  • Views Views 4K
Point taken, you're right. Someone like Rodwell would probably be a better example.

Let's hope so.

Fair enough then. He's looking very promising. Bit annoying that England waits ten years for a midfield playmaker and then two turn up at once, though.

One will inevitably be played out of position, unless England take up the continental 4231 in which case Rodwell and McEachran could play with Wilshere in the advanced role, Walcott and Johnson on the wings, Rooney up top...

Sounds great on paper..

At least they've turned up though, how long will Wilshere get? (Obviously depending on match situation) but i'm sure he could do a job from the start.. or at least half an hour, otherwise there's not a lot of point bringing him apart from to train with the squad..

Personally, I hope he doesn't get more than a half, purely because we'll burn him out if we use him like this for much longer. Integrate him slowly. Every minute he trains with people like Gerrard is a valuable nugget of experience. I reckon we'll start with Gerrard and then take him off at 75 minutes, throwing Wilshere on to see if he can take advantage of tired legs.

EDIT: Unless, of course, we're losing. In which case I expect him to come on at 60 or earlier.

great prospect for the future of English football. i have to admit though, i personally believe he would benefit playing elsewhere than Arsenal if he wants to process his career to the next level. thats not a pop at any Arsenal fan or anything, i just believe he would become a better players at United or Chelsea.

thats rhubarb, there arent many better at nurturing young talent than Wenger. he will aid his technical ability as well as making sure he does not have his head turned by the limelight. (for example Moyes did this well with Rooney). plus, he will get far more first team action at Arsenal than he will at Chelsea or United.

Last edited:
thats rhubarb, where there arent many better at nurturing young talent than Wenger. he will aid his technical ability as well as making sure he does not have his head turned by the limelight. (for example like Moyes did with Rooney). plus, he will get far moe first team action at Arsenal than he will at Chelsea or United.

This.

Avoiding the media spotlight is essential in his development, and its what Wenger has been saying all along, he knew a while ago he would be good, but had to see how he developed at the club, playing for the youth sides without that pressure.

Some relevant videos:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRMH0XC3CYM"]Wilshere vs Partizan Belgrade[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clV6h-hx_PY"]Wilshere vs Celtic (pre-season)[/ame]

great prospect for the future of English football. i have to admit though, i personally believe he would benefit playing elsewhere than Arsenal if he wants to process his career to the next level. thats not a pop at any Arsenal fan or anything, i just believe he would become a better players at United or Chelsea.

That post actually made me lol. Good work.

Wilshere will go the way of most England players, get over hyped, and then, when it comes down to it, will suffer from too much pressure and expectation. No doubt he will become a good player, but with everyone expecting him to become the Messi of England, there is a very unlikely chance that he will become the player that alot of people are already expecting him to become, so early in his career.

He seems to have a phenominal understanding of what is going on around him for someone of his age. - I dont think you can really teach that. Unfortunately our media seem intent on selling newspapers to the detriment of the english players. Hopefully they will leave him alone

Wilshere will go the way of most England players, get over hyped, and then, when it comes down to it, will suffer from too much pressure and expectation. No doubt he will become a good player, but with everyone expecting him to become the Messi of England, there is a very unlikely chance that he will become the player that alot of people are already expecting him to become, so early in his career.
this is my fear, which is why im so glad that he is at arsenal, wenger will do his utmost to protect him from that

Without doubt the most English paragraph I've ever read haha. So pessimistic Dunc!

Bear in mind there's also Aaron Ramsey to come back who hopefully doesn't turn into another case like Eduardo. That's looking like a **** good midfield even if Cesc goes. Keiran Gibbs is also looking a likely prospect. For all the flak he gets Mr Wenger is doing a **** good job bringing up a fair few talented home grown youngsters.

Excellent article, after reading this thought i'd post something similar in here that i read from a blog that's an interesting read :)

The Blossoming Genius

Given the coverage in previous weeks, you would be forgiven for thinking that the 2010/11 Premier League season is actually Paul Scholes' benefit season. Superlative has followed superlative about Scholes' passing, ability to find space and general play. I praised him here.

One thing I've maintained for a number of years is that Scholes was shoddily treated by England and, until recently, in England. Such is the obsession with 4-4-2, England have for many years shoe-horned gifted individuals into unfamiliar positions (usually left-wing) and then become surprised when they do not perform at optimum level. Scholes, Joe Cole, Steven Gerrard, Matt Le Tissier, Glenn Hoddle etc have all suffered to varying degrees. Either they have been shunted to unfamiliar positions or they are asked to perform a different role.

Will English football learn from this or will they continue to plug away with the same mistakes? I ask because increasingly Jack Wilshere is fulfilling his potential. The huge hype is slowly but surely manifesting itself into excellence. A number of his flicks and backheels this season have not only caused gasps of delight from neutral watchers but also lead to chances and goals.

He is that rare thing in Britain - a flair player, a touch player. He seems to have everything: high technical ability, a great left-foot, the ability to beat a player, excellent touch and control, fine vision, excellent passing and genuine creativity. Exactly the sort of player that all nations would kill for and exactly the sort of player that England desperately need soon.

It was telling that he was selected against Chelsea and that's he has featured in 10 games already this season for Arsenal. Considering the competition in central midfield - Fabregas, Nasri, Song, Diaby and Rosicky that is no mean feat.

Wilshere is not, this time, included in the England team on potential or because of pull-outs. Already he has been selected because he is one of England's form players in his position. It is the correct call-up (even if his selection for the Under 21s) is slightly puzzling.

We really could be seeing the blossoming of a genius in the next few years - let us hope he stays fit, gets the chances and fulfils his awesome potential.

Two things: (a) As above, if he does develop into the player we all hope he does England must base the team around him (breaking away from 4-4-******-2 if needs be) (b) He might be as refreshing as gin and tonic for the English game but imagine what he could achieve abroad?

http://leftbackinthechangingroom.blogspot.com/2010/10/blossoming-genius.html

Hope the pressure doesn't get to him. Everyone is putting a lot on him to be the next big thing.

If he stays at Arsenal and with the protection of Wenger I am pretty sure that will not happen :)

The 18-year-old is in England's senior and Under-21 squads, yet he is a delicate thing, to be handled, stroked and made much of

"It is vital that he plays as much football as he can," Stuart Pearce said this week. But you only need to look at the faun‑like, impish Wilshere to appreciate how perverse this is. Wilshere is a delicate thing, to be dandled and stroked and made much of, perhaps even quartered in a very small secure dark room, some kind of sealed basement annexe.

And still he seems so delicate, so crushable in his unabashed good-goodness.
Barney Ronay - The Guardian

What a load of old **** Barney: 'delicate' 'crushable' ???

From what I've seen of him (aside from the obvious thats hes a class act) he likes to put himself about and always gets stuck in. I've seen him leave his foot in a few times when tackling and I'm inclined to say he's actually a little bit of a dirty *******.

Last edited:

From what I've seen of him (aside from the obvious thats hes a class act) he likes to put himslef about and always gets stuck in. I've seen him leave his foot in a few times when tackling and I'm inclined to say he's actually a little bit of a dirty *******.

To be honest I couldn't agree more, even as an Arsenal fan, Wilshere clearly has a bit of dirtiness in his game.

From what I've seen of him (aside from the obvious thats hes a class act) he likes to put himslef about and always gets stuck in. I've seen him leave his foot in a few times when tackling and I'm inclined to say he's actually a little bit of a dirty *******.

Completely agree... Wouldn't go as far to say hes a dirty ******* haha because I haven't seen enough but I think he works hard and puts himself about and you have to when your his size and shape or you will get no where.

To be honest I couldn't agree more, even as an Arsenal fan, Wilshere clearly has a bit of dirtiness in his game.
noticed this about ramsey too, both like to get stuck in, not afraid to dive into tackles

Wilshere is a class act, something that very rarely comes out of England. Lets just hope that he does stay protected and then his talent can be nurtured.

Also, keep an eye out for Josh McEachran, the new Jack Wilshere as such.

Point taken, you're right. Someone like Rodwell would probably be a better example.

Let's hope so.

Fair enough then. He's looking very promising. Bit annoying that England waits ten years for a midfield playmaker and then two turn up at once, though.

One will inevitably be played out of position, unless England take up the continental 4231 in which case Rodwell and McEachran could play with Wilshere in the advanced role, Walcott and Johnson on the wings, Rooney up top...

Sounds great on paper..

Just a couple of points on the topic of Wilshere and McEachran. First is that Media outlets are already questioning that are we could have a Gerrard/Lampard type situation with Wilshere and McEachran obviously we all hope not. And my 2nd point is that i recently found out that McEachrans parents are both Scottish so he has other options if he dosen't fancy England.

Wilshere has got what it takes to be a future world class player but as always with this country the press will build him up and when the time is right completely try to destroy the bloke.

I was just wondering what kind of shape we'll take at the next world cup. Probably something along the lines of this:

Hart
Richards - Smalling - Cahill - Gibbs
Rodwell
Wilshere - McEachran
Walcott - Rooney - Rose

It's a good bunch of youngsters we've got, come to think of it. Let's hope they can fulfil their potential and not fall to one of the two normal curses of English youngsters: Injury or vanity.

Back