Why we must savour the rare English delicacy that is Jack Wilshere

• Thread starter Thread starter Joss
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 66
  • Views Views 4K
its articles like this that are going to put to much pressure on the poor lad..

...what the **** are you on? You're insane. How the **** does media hype, tension and "being kicked kicked into row z" POSSIBLY enhance a player?

Let me get this straight. You're saying you want the media to build him up to unattainable heights, as well as on-field players to basically go out there to injure him. You're saying you want one of the brightest young talents in England to be kicked off the pitch, right?

First of all, well done you can read my post.

2nd of all Beng Kicked around might make him into a man, rather then just a player, he be able to hold his own against the bigger, stronger players aswell as the technical players.

Many people forget that not so long ago, Spain were struggling in big tournaments just as England are. It's alright trying to mould players around xavi and iniesta but we had that in paul scholes and didn't utilise him properly. Give me a steven gerrard any day

You all complain about the media overhyping players, but that's exactly what you're doing here... :S

I think what people meant is overhyping him in the public spotlight, eg in the press, therefore heaping pressure on him to produce or everyone will be dissapointed. Talking about him on fm base is okay because he wont see it and think "wow, the country is relying on me".

Funny how everyone keeps saying things like "I agree with this article, we need to cherish him" and what not then a few hours later it's "it's good that he likes to get stuck in". This is what the article is talking about, the fact that English players 'like to get stuck in' at the expense of technical ability. Wilshere should, in my opinion, let others around him do the 'get stuck in' and stick to being a very good footballer. I'm sure when they were in their teens, Xavi and Iniesta weren't being told to put themselves about and not let their size be a factor in lunging into a challenge. Spain are the pinnacle of world football and they let their most gifted players do the football-ing, and players like Busquets (who, I might add, still isn't a bad footballer) do the water carrying. If he is to develop into the world class player we all hope for, then he needs to stick to being a footballer NOT trying to be a Patrick Vieira.
you've missed the mark a little. no one is asking him to be patrick vieira. its about having the agression to win the ball back when hes not on it and being able to hold off players. watch villa out wide for barca, he tracks back and isnt afraid to make the tackle every now and then, hes also aggressive enough to fight off a player if boxed in, before dribbling away from them. just becuase you a technical wizard doesnt mean you shouldnt have the aggression to battle past players, or make the tackle if needed

Last edited:
First of all, well done you can read my post.

2nd of all Beng Kicked around might make him into a man, rather then just a player, he be able to hold his own against the bigger, stronger players aswell as the technical players.

I think i see what you are trying to say, you want him to toughen up physically in order to compete against all types of opponent. And you may have a point, if he came up against a player such as Essien, he may well struggle against the pure size of his opponent. However, i dont think him being kicked around is the right way for that development to happen, there are plenty of ways it can be achieved without the need for him to be "kicked into row Z". Please forgive me if i have misunderstood your point

I would also point out as Madsheep briefly touched on above, that some of the most technical players in the world arent particularly aggresive. for example Iniesta. He will put out an arm to hold a player off, but you will rarely see him go in strong on a player or make a cruching tackle, yet he never gets criticised for this and rightly so. I think we would all be delighted if Wilshere becomes anything like as gifted as Iniesta

---------- Post added at 12:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:00 AM ----------

its articles like this that are going to put to much pressure on the poor lad..

agreed. Just let him get on with it for christ's sake

Last edited:
The 18-year-old is in England's senior and Under-21 squads, yet he is a delicate thing, to be handled, stroked and made much of

"It is vital that he plays as much football as he can," Stuart Pearce said this week. But you only need to look at the faun‑like, impish Wilshere to appreciate how perverse this is. Wilshere is a delicate thing, to be dandled and stroked and made much of, perhaps even quartered in a very small secure dark room, some kind of sealed basement annexe.

And still he seems so delicate, so crushable in his unabashed good-goodness.
Barney Ronay - The Guardian

What a load of old **** Barney: 'delicate' 'crushable' ???

From what I've seen of him (aside from the obvious thats hes a class act) he likes to put himself about and always gets stuck in. I've seen him leave his foot in a few times when tackling and I'm inclined to say he's actually a little bit of a dirty *******.

BBC Sport said:
Arsenal came from behind to beat Birmingham and go second in the table but the victory was tarnished by a late red card for teenager Jack Wilshere.

Wilshere, 18, was given his marching orders for an ugly lunge on Zigic.
The England midfielder's studs were showing as he went over the ball and took out the Serbian striker's standing leg.

I rest my case.

---------- Post added at 08:09 PM ---------- Previous post was yesterday at 01:39 AM ----------

He's just gone through one of the Shakhtar players as well, lucky not to be a yellow.

Back