Will iL capitano ever come again ......

jamescfc

Banned
Reaction score
As everyone knows 2 years ago the greatest defender of all time Paolo Maldini retired.

Having won 5 champions leagues and making over 1000 apps for club and country he has alomst become a myth..

My question is this

In modern football will there ever be anyone, or is it even possible, who can come close to matching his achievments. Is it possible that someone else can play at the top level for 25 years , constatly remain in the starting 11 from age 17 to 40 (unlike giggs) and win so many european titles ??

Last edited:
Zanetti is another legend .. not quiet on maldinis level however as he has only lifted the champions league once but still a legend.

Is it possible in the modern game for some one to achieve anywhere near...

He's not on Maldini's level because he only won one champions league? Does that make him less of a player or less of an icon? You can't judge an individual's status based on a team competition. If you're to make a comparison you should make a comparison on an individual level.

He's not on Maldini's level because he only won one champions league? Does that make him less of a player or less of an icon? You can't judge an individual's status based on a team competition. If you're to make a comparison you should make a comparison on an individual level.

Zanetti is a legend .. just in my personal opinion hes not as good as maldini was. On an idividual level no one comes close to maldini in terms of defensive ability. The master of the slide tackle

Zanetti is a legend .. just in my personal opinion hes not as good as maldini was. On an idividual level no one comes close to maldini in terms of defensive ability. The master of the slide tackle
What? Zanettri is one of the (and arguably THE finest) finest full backs of the last 20 years. he was nicknamed the tractor because he was fearsome both defensively and offensively. On a defensive level he is right up there, to say any less is to make a mockery of him

What? Zanettri is one of the (and arguably THE finest) finest full backs of the last 20 years. he was nicknamed the tractor because he was fearsome both defensively and offensively. On a defensive level he is right up there, to say any less is to make a mockery of him

This is getting blown out of proportion mate. Zanetti is a legend along with roberto carlos probably the second best left sided full back of all time. However maldini is unquestionably the greatest of them all. To question this fact is disrespectfull to the capitan. only an inter fan would denie that he is the best left full back of all time.

Anywae this was not my question. My question was is it possible in modern football for anyone to achieve close to this..

This is getting blown out of proportion mate. Zanetti is a legend along with roberto carlos probably the second best left sided full back of all time. However maldini is unquestionably the greatest of them all. To question this fact is disrespectfull to the capitan. only an inter fan would denie that he is the best left full back of all time.

Anywae this was not my question. My question was is it possible in modern football for anyone to achieve close to this..
er zanetti also earned the name Il Capitan, he is even hugely respected by ac milan fans, such is the stature of the man in italy. And Zanetti players BOTH fullback positions, not to mentin that maldini then switched to centreback,

and yes its possible

Del Piero?

Another legend along with zanetti raul and francessco totti . This is not about who was better , this is asking, that in modern football where money is worth more than the pride of 1 shirt can anyone ever again emulate these legends.

Another legend along with zanetti raul and francessco totti . This is not about who was better , this is asking, that in modern football where money is worth more than the pride of 1 shirt can anyone ever again emulate these legends.
Yeah - Jack Wilshere, i reckon he could do it

I believe Ryan Giggs (even though you said play regularly, since he has been nothing short of sensational when he does feature) and Paul Scholes both deserve a mention.

Last edited: