Will iL capitano ever come again ......

He is in my opinion the best left back ever but not the greatest Defender of all time and yes i do think someone will match his achievements eventually.

What? Zanettri is one of the (and arguably THE finest) finest full backs of the last 20 years. he was nicknamed the tractor because he was fearsome both defensively and offensively. On a defensive level he is right up there, to say any less is to make a mockery of him

You realize that Maldini was a left back, probably the GREATEST left back in history and arguably the greatest FULLBACK in history. He only transitioned into halfback because as he got older, he lost some of his speed.

You realize that Maldini was a left back, probably the GREATEST left back in history and arguably the greatest FULLBACK in history. He only transitioned into halfback because as he got older, he lost some of his speed.
er yes i did realise that, i just said as much in my other post......

zanetti also goes down as one of the finest fullbacks in history...

Zanetti is a legend .. just in my personal opinion hes not as good as maldini was. On an idividual level no one comes close to maldini in terms of defensive ability. The master of the slide tackle

Franco Baresi pwns all

Yeah - Jack Wilshere, i reckon he could do it

A brilliant shout. However i do fell arsenal owe it to him to invest in a quality cb and gk so that he can win the trophies he deserves.

As everyone knows 2 years ago the greatest defender of all time Paolo Maldini retired.

Having won 5 champions leagues and making over 1000 apps for club and country he has alomst become a myth..

My question is this

In modern football will there ever be anyone, or is it even possible, who can come close to matching his achievments. Is it possible that someone else can play at the top level for 25 years , constatly remain in the starting 11 from age 17 to 40 (unlike giggs) and win so many european titles ??

Ryan Giggs will come close, and has remained in the starting 11 so far. Has Maldini not had his fair share of injuries prior to retirement?

Just to add something, reading the news today reminded me of him, not a defender though... Rogerio Ceni. He reached 100 league goals today with a goal against Corinthians. ******* legend, amazing player.

Just to add something, reading the news today reminded me of him, not a defender though... Rogerio Ceni. He reached 100 league goals today with a goal against Corinthians. ******* legend, amazing player.

ahh the scoring keeper.. his achievments will definetly never be matched

he is was a goal keeper but what about vitor baia? he is the palyer with more tittles in the world, and a legend also

JT? Came through the youth academy at Chelsea.
Chelsea's best ever defender, most succesful captain, arguably the best CB in england in the last 5-10 years.
Consistent for club and country, I dont even want Man Utd fans hating on JT, theres no point.

he is was a goal keeper but what about vitor baia? he is the palyer with more tittles in the world, and a legend also

I think they mean his goalscoring record will never be matched.

Wow people are getting way to into this.

No-one can say that a particular players is categorically the best player ever in a position, people have OPINIONS but opinions aren't fact, theres no need for people to get so upset because someone doesn't agree with them on the greatest ever left-back.

I have a feeling Wayne Rooney could do it.

70 caps and he's what ? 25.

I have a feeling Wayne Rooney could do it.

70 caps and he's what ? 25.

hmm a very good shout... maldini has 126 caps ..cafu has 142 caps thats the most ive heard of. rooney would have to double his to match it, but yeah it is possible

Last edited:
Rooney has a good 40+ caps ahead of him, he'll be englands top cap.

hmm a very good shout... maldini has 126 caps ..cafu has 142 caps thats the most ive heard of. rooney would have to double his to match it, but yeah it is possible

Zanetti has 141 and will get 142 on Tuesday :p