Wilshere could miss England match

• Thread starter Thread starter BBC Sport
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 76
  • Views Views 4K
He's looked desperately out of sorts, that plus the fact Everton are trying to push him further up the pitch, havent helped

Yup. Due to lack of goalscoring chances from other players due to injuries, namely Saha. Trying to put him in multiple positions in different games definately doesn't help. Poor ****** doesn't know what to do anymore sometimes. As a result trying to do everything sometimes, which is totally restricting what he can do best.

I dislike Wilshire anyway. I think he dwells on the ball too much and doesn't do enough with it when he has it. Personally, If we play a 4-4-2 then I think either Barry or Carrick holding their position next to the maestro Frank Lampard is more effective. I would love it if by some miracle, we could get Gerrard and Lampard together in midfield with Barry or Carrick holding. They never seem to play well together :/

I dislike Wilshire anyway. I think he dwells on the ball too much and doesn't do enough with it when he has it. Personally, If we play a 4-4-2 then I think either Barry or Carrick holding their position next to the maestro Frank Lampard is more effective. I would love it if by some miracle, we could get Gerrard and Lampard together in midfield with Barry or Carrick holding. They never seem to play well together :/

Wahey. It's been a while since we've had someone properly wacko to suggest that Barry is a better player than Wilshere and that we should attempt Gerrard and Lampard together in central midfield again.

Wahey. It's been a while since we've had someone properly wacko to suggest that Barry is a better player than Wilshere and that we should attempt Gerrard and Lampard together in central midfield again.

Lol, Barry is a defensive midfielder, Wilshire isn't? When played in a 4-3-3, Barry would hold? For Arsenal, Wilshire doesn't play in the defensive position does he... Alex Song does. Wilshire partners Fabregas in midfield.

On this forum, suggesting Gareth Barry should play is blasphemy.

As others have said, we should use the chance to give some other players a chance. Carrick/ Huddlestone etc. After all that's primarily what friendlies are for. Just pleeease not the usual suspects.

Personally I think our midfield/attack should be:

----Derry--Carrick

Dyer------------Smith

Campbell Bothroyd

Lol, Barry is a defensive midfielder, Wilshire isn't? When played in a 4-3-3, Barry would hold? For Arsenal, Wilshire doesn't play in the defensive position does he... Alex Song does. Wilshire partners Fabregas in midfield.

Right, except Barry is completely *****. Barry is a defensive midfielder in the same way that technically an ice cube is just a very small iceberg: he lacks pace, positional discipline, and his tackling and marking leaves much to be desired.

I think you'll find that actually, Wilshere does play in a defensive position: since it's a 4-2-3-1, there are more than one holders in Arsenal's formation.

On this forum, suggesting Gareth Barry should play is blasphemy.

As others have said, we should use the chance to give some other players a chance. Carrick/ Huddlestone etc. After all that's primarily what friendlies are for. Just pleeease not the usual suspects.

I never said play Barry, I said Barry or Carrick.

Personally I think our midfield/attack should be:

----Derry--Carrick

Dyer------------Smith

Campbell Bothroyd

You missed out Clint Hill as a left-winger.

---------- Post added at 02:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:38 AM ----------

I never said play Barry, I said Barry or Carrick.

Er... that's still advocating playing Barry. Even so, even Carrick with all of his talents would not be the right player to try and hold together a midfield single-handedly.

---------- Post added at 02:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:38 AM ----------

Er... that's still advocating playing Barry. Even so, even Carrick with all of his talents would not be the right player to try and hold together a midfield single-handedly.

Everyone is entitled to their opinoin mate. Barry isn't a **** player otherwise he wouldn't be in the England setup? I'm pretty sure Fabio Capello doesn't think he's ****. As I recall, he's led England out a few times too. As for Jack Wilshire, he's more an attacking midfielder than a holding player :s

Do you really wanna see the defence?

fine, since you asked so nicely:

------Robinson (Lee, not Paul)
Orr--Hall--Ramage--Hill

---------- Post added at 02:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:45 AM ----------

Everyone is entitled to their opinoin mate. Barry isn't a **** player otherwise he wouldn't be in the England setup? I'm pretty sure Fabio Capello doesn't think he's ****. As I recall, he's led England out a few times too. As for Jack Wilshire, he's more an attacking midfielder than a holding player :s

I just liked all of your posts, does that make you as happy as it does me :)?

Just because they're in the England setup doesn't make them immune to criticism. In domestic terms, Barry's a passable player. At international level, he's a liability. The fact that Capello doesn't think he's **** is rather a negative indictment on Capello rather than a positive one on Barry.

At no point did I say that Wilshere should be the sole holding player, rather that he is a better player than Barry. And yes, I honestly think that he's a better holding player than Barry, even if he is a more offensively-minded player. For starters, he's quicker across the pitch, he's FAR better positionally and tactically, and he's more tactically disciplined, on top of all the usual pluses such as being a better passer, younger, more creative and more versatile.

Just because they're in the England setup doesn't make them immune to criticism. In domestic terms, Barry's a passable player. At international level, he's a liability. The fact that Capello doesn't think he's **** is rather a negative indictment on Capello rather than a positive one on Barry.

At no point did I say that Wilshere should be the sole holding player, rather that he is a better player than Barry. And yes, I honestly think that he's a better holding player than Barry, even if he is a more offensively-minded player. For starters, he's quicker across the pitch, he's FAR better positionally and tactically, and he's more tactically disciplined, on top of all the usual pluses such as being a better passer, younger, more creative and more versatile.

Thanks for the ego boost Sid <3

I never said it makes them immune to criticism, but suggesting Barry is a **** player is a bit far? I tend to disagree with you, big deal? I think Barry is more disciplined than Wilshire is, but then Wilshire is still young. I don't think you can use Wilshire's creativity as a plus over Barry, their jobs are different. Holding in midfield isn't about being creative. We see it time and time again in John Obi Mikel for example when Chelsea setup in a 4-3-3. Mikel is rarely in front of the ball.

It would be worth Barry coming back into the side just to see the collective facepalm of epic proportions that would happen on here :)

I'm hoping he goes with Parker or Huddlestone along with Carrick as the two holders.

Thanks for the ego boost Sid <3

I never said it makes them immune to criticism, but suggesting Barry is a **** player is a bit far? I tend to disagree with you, big deal? I think Barry is more disciplined than Wilshire is, but then Wilshire is still young. I don't think you can use Wilshire's creativity as a plus over Barry, their jobs are different. Holding in midfield isn't about being creative. We see it time and time again in John Obi Mikel for example when Chelsea setup in a 4-3-3. Mikel is rarely in front of the ball.

Barry, by international standards, is a pretty ***** player. Barry is not disciplined defensively at all: look at the counterattacking goal we conceded against Germany in the World Cup. As Germany broke quickly, Barry was already in a bad position, too high up the field (belying his more naturally attacking instincts that he was used to from his years at Villa) and then didn't have the pace to recover. Pace is an easy get-out clause for defensive players, and if you don't have it you need to be far more careful. Barry just... isn't.

If you note, I didn't use Wilshere's creativity as a major plus, merely that it was one of the natural advantages in his game. However, it could be said that passing is critical in a defensive midfield position. Just look at Sergio Busquets dictating the tempo of Barcelona, or indeed your own example of John Obi Mikel, whose excellent passing sets how Chelsea play.

Somebody who actually rates Barry for England? Well, I'll be, I must take note of this historic date!

I'd take Wilshere over Barry for any role in midfield.

Barry, by international standards, is a pretty ***** player. Barry is not disciplined defensively at all: look at the counterattacking goal we conceded against Germany in the World Cup. As Germany broke quickly, Barry was already in a bad position, too high up the field (belying his more naturally attacking instincts that he was used to from his years at Villa) and then didn't have the pace to recover. Pace is an easy get-out clause for defensive players, and if you don't have it you need to be far more careful. Barry just... isn't.

If you note, I didn't use Wilshere's creativity as a major plus, merely that it was one of the natural advantages in his game. However, it could be said that passing is critical in a defensive midfield position. Just look at Sergio Busquets dictating the tempo of Barcelona, or indeed your own example of John Obi Mikel, whose excellent passing sets how Chelsea play.

I don't even know why I am sticking up for Barry, I am a Manchester United fan and he plays for City. Maybe I was a little too supportive of Barry, appologies. Looking back at it, I would probably agree with you when you say he's probably not the best choice against the likes of Germany. I still would prefer Carrick or Huddlestone or just someone that's a bit more experienced and defensively disciplined than Jack Wilshire to hold in midfield. Then again, I think a 4-4-2 is a stupid formation to play against the likes of Spain, the 4-3-3 is much better.

Back