WrestleMania XXVII

Frank

Hobbs
Reaction score
WWE_WrestleMania_27_0014.jpg

Think of it as a discussion thread. I know there is a general WWE thread, but the biggest night of the year deserves it's own thread imo.

Here are my thoughts on the latest Wrestlemania..

# # # #

Wrestlemania XXVII Thoughts and Preview

The Grandest Stage of them all? Is it that time of the year already? Another year has flown by in the WWE and we are soon approaching the twenty-seventh straight incarnation to Pro-Wrestling’s superbowl; Wrestlemania. Many see this as a ‘developmental’ ‘Mania, and this is something I will come onto later, but I do agree with this notion. In this piece, I will go into short detail on my thoughts and ideas for Wrestlemania.

On first viewing, the card seems somewhat, ‘’shady’’. Although Alberto Del Rio has made a very good impact in his short tenure in WWE, it is only his second singles match on pay-per-view; so throwing him into a Wrestlemania main event with an aging Edge, whom hasn’t been on the top of his game recently seems very strange, and doesn’t scream ‘main event’ to me. The only way I can really get hyped about this match is if Vince finally gives in to letting Christian having a shot at the big time. (It would be 6 years late mind). If Christian is added in the next and final edition of Smackdown, then it can live up to a Mania main event level match. My only problem with this however, is that if they planned to throw Christian into this match, then why not do it earlier, and let the build up be based around the jealousy of Edge from Christian, and how they’ve both gone different ways since breaking up as the formidable tag team they once were. Then with Alberto Del Rio coming between this would have made for compelling television and a great feud rather than this mish-mash that we are receiving at the moment. Don’t get me wrong, if Christian doesn’t get added, I can see it being a solid match, with some decent spots, with Del Rio going over of course, but it could have been so much more.

Edge-Del%2BRio.jpg

On the Raw side of things, we have a very compelling feud for their respective ‘main-event’. We see the face of the company, poster boy of the WWE, John Cena, come up against the future star, aiming to prove all the nay-sayers , and doubters wrong, and prove that he is the man that will lead this company into the next generation, The Miz. Miz has really come into his own since picking up the WWE title in November, and has had a surprisingly enjoyable first reign. Week after week he delivers amazing promo’s, and slowly he improves in the ring. This is really an important match for The Miz, as he main event’s his first Wrestlemania. He goes in as the champion, but can he leave as the champion? Of course he can, a slight interference from the Great One, or Alex Riley could give Miz the most important victory of his career, and it would do no harm to Cena’s credibility whatsoever. However, I fear John Cena will once again win the Championship at Wrestlemania, and then get his hand raised by the rock, in a cringe-worthy moment that no-one wants to see. John Cena doesn’t need this victory, wheras it would do wonders for the Miz. I just hope and pray that we see Miz go over here, in a match, which if booked right, could be a very enjoyable and exciting match.

images

I don’t think anyone expects the Undertaker’s latest Wrestlemania match to come close to the epic encounters in the last two years, but Triple H will go all out in order to put on a show for which will be his last big match I believe. The ‘no-holds barred’ stipulation allows for less emphasis on the technical wrestling, and allows for the slug-fest to commence, and it should be a very enjoyable match. I do believe that this feud could have been built up better though, and seems very rushed and thrown together. Of course, there is no-way in **** that Triple H will win this match. I can 100 percent guarantee that Undertaker will win this match, which is why I can’t get too hyped for this match.

images

The three biggest matches out of the way, Rey Mysterio vs. Cody Rhodes is a match which has a very good build to it, and should deliver with a very good match as they can both ‘go’ in the ring. It would be very good if Cody could win the match, however I expect Rey to win the match, which won’t be too bad if they make Cody look strong. Losing to Rey is hardly too bad for a lower to mid carder like Cody, whom has been brilliant since the (kayfabe) face injury.

images

Dolph Ziggler and John Morrison shouldn’t be tied up in the 6-man tag match. Two of the best in-ring upcomers in the WWE are tied into a match that will do neither for their careers. Snooki adds the celebrity factor to the Wrestlemania card, and to a match which shouldn’t be too bad I suppose, but Snooki will come out on top, getting the pin over Layla or Mccool.

John-Morrison-Trish-Stratus-Snooki-vs.-Dolph-Ziggler-Lay-Cool.jpg

Michael Cole has been simply amazing since turning Heel. Getting ridiculous levels of heat and also making me laugh on many occasions, he seems to have his character nailed to a tee. The feud with Jerry Lawler has been amazing, and it is probably one of the matches i’m most looking forward to, along with Miz vs. Cena. Lawler will obviously win and get his Wrestlemania moment, and I expect it will be very similar to the Mcmahon vs. Hart match we saw last year, with Cole getting beaten up, and obviously ‘stunned’.

images

The Corre will obviously have a match added with Big Show, but I don’t really have anything to say regarding that, other than Corre should go over the two ‘has-beens’. Randy Orton vs. CM Punk has good build and should be a good match. I don’t see it being a classic however, as Orton has a very slow paced match style, which doesn’t go well with Punk’s style. I do think that Punk should be the top heel in the WWE at the moment though, as he is clearly more talented than the entire roster in every aspect, but that is a topic for a different time.

Randy%2Borton%2Bvs%2BCM%2BPunk.jpg

Onto the match, which in my opinion, will be the best technical match of the night; Bryan vs Sheamus. Daniel Bryan is simply amazing and is the best worker in the world at the moment. Sheamus can have a good match here, and if given 30 minutes, this could steal the show. I expect Sheamus to retain in what should be a classic.

images

And there it is, my thoughts on the upcoming Wrestlemania. It reminds me of Wrestlemania where two new stars were born; John Cena and Batista. If WWE put Miz and Del Rio over, it could be a successful Wrestlemania, and it could be the start of two new stars, just as in 2005. Despite the lack of star power, the Wrestlemania card still draws me towards it, and I will be tuning in with very keen eyes.

Last edited:
all about the miz if he dont retain i wont watch it ever again i hate john cena

Alberto Del Rio is a Wrestling GOD his finisher is a killer

Should be fantastic.

Albert del Rio beats Edge

Miz beats Cena

Undertaker beats HHH

Cody Rhodes beats Rey - Apparently want to try and push him.

JoMo, Trish & Snooki beat Dolph & LayCool.

Jerry beats Cole, with a stunner.

Randy beats CM Punk

Sheamus beats Bryan

cant wait for HHH VS TAKER

what with cole vs king

Wrestling has nothing on UFC i only watch wrestling now because i grew up with it

The John Report

This guy is a really good writer, something to read for all you WWE fans.....

I think Wrestlemania this year will be pretty good, Really looking forward to The Rock and Cena....something HAS to happen there

yeah luv UFC just cant help watchin wrestlin makes me feel like kid lol

UFC is quality, and when it comes to Wrestling, i watch every PPV and RAW, with RAW playing in the back ground usually....but i marked out like a 12 year old when The Miz cashed in MIB.....that was so well done.....and when the Rock returned....come to think of it, even when Bret Hart returned

UFC is quality, and when it comes to Wrestling, i watch every PPV and RAW, with RAW playing in the back ground usually....but i marked out like a 12 year old when The Miz cashed in MIB.....that was so well done.....and when the Rock returned....come to think of it, even when Bret Hart returned
Bret hart what a legend who you think will win what fights mate?

Most of the card is predictable, given that WrestleMania is the 'feel-good' night of the year and hence the faces will go over. However, this year it's a little different, in that I believe one of the heels is going to go over and win either the World Heavyweight Championship or the WWE Title. As for who, I think it depends entirely on one man; The Rock. If the WWE can tie him into a six month programme, culminating in a match at SummerSlam, then I fully expect him to screw Cena out of a WWE Title win and in the process start a feud with Cena. If not, then Cena will win and The Rock will raise his hand and then give him a Rock Bottom to send the crowd home happy. Forgot to add, I think he will be added as the special guest referee tomorrow night on Raw.

The card (I think) has eight matches at the moment, and my predictions are as follows:
Rey Mysterio vs Cody Rhodes - Rey Mysterio.
John Morrison, Trish and Snooki vs Dolph Ziggler and LayCool - Snooki to pin Layla and get the win.
Sheamus vs Daniel Bryan - Sheamus.
Randy Orton vs CM Punk - Randy Orton (although I'd love Punk to pick up a win here).
Edge vs Alberto Del Rio - depends on the outcome of Miz vs Cena. If Cena wins, then ADR. If Miz wins, then Edge.
Jerry 'The King' Lawler vs Michael Cole - The King to finally get his WM moment. Biggest pop of the night expected here.
Undertaker vs HHH - Undertaker. He will not lose at WrestleMania. Ever.
The Miz vs John Cena - depends whether or not WWE have The Rock for a couple months. If I had to plump for a winner I'd say John Cena, as The Rock has bigger fish to fry in Hollywood.

Anybody got any thoughts on any of this?

Most of the card is predictable, given that WrestleMania is the 'feel-good' night of the year and hence the faces will go over. However, this year it's a little different, in that I believe one of the heels is going to go over and win either the World Heavyweight Championship or the WWE Title. As for who, I think it depends entirely on one man; The Rock. If the WWE can tie him into a six month programme, culminating in a match at SummerSlam, then I fully expect him to screw Cena out of a WWE Title win and in the process start a feud with Cena. If not, then Cena will win and The Rock will raise his hand and then give him a Rock Bottom to send the crowd home happy. Forgot to add, I think he will be added as the special guest referee tomorrow night on Raw.

The card (I think) has eight matches at the moment, and my predictions are as follows:
Rey Mysterio vs Cody Rhodes - Rey Mysterio.
John Morrison, Trish and Snooki vs Dolph Ziggler and LayCool - Snooki to pin Layla and get the win.
Sheamus vs Daniel Bryan - Sheamus.
Randy Orton vs CM Punk - Randy Orton (although I'd love Punk to pick up a win here).
Edge vs Alberto Del Rio - depends on the outcome of Miz vs Cena. If Cena wins, then ADR. If Miz wins, then Edge.
Jerry 'The King' Lawler vs Michael Cole - The King to finally get his WM moment. Biggest pop of the night expected here.
Undertaker vs HHH - Undertaker. He will not lose at WrestleMania. Ever.
The Miz vs John Cena - depends whether or not WWE have The Rock for a couple months. If I had to plump for a winner I'd say John Cena, as The Rock has bigger fish to fry in Hollywood.

Anybody got any thoughts on any of this?
pretty much agree there mate undertakers streak will never ever ever end and rock will have massive impact!

Going to watch this, to see how much it has changed in a few years.

Who the **** is this Del Rio kid? :L

IF WWE get The Rock on the 6month like you said then i can see a triple threat announced tomorrow or maybe im just hoping for that.. One more match Rocky!!!

As for the rest im only really interested in Taker HHH. I think Del Rio is *****, Miz isn't a main eventer, Mysterio and Rhodes could have a good match, King vs Cole we know its going to end in Stunners.
Sheamus and Bryan could be the surprise match imo.. Orton Punk will be good but not interesting for me.