XML Parsing Error Solution

If you have installed using Steam the target box should read...

"C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\football manager 2009\fm.exe" --reset_preferences

no..i installed using uniloc..whats the differences between that both two?

If you install it with Steam it puts it in a different directory. Your target box should say.....

"C:\Program Files\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2009\fm.exe" --reset_preferences

If it's exactly that then FM should open and the preferences will get reset.

Try restarting your computer everyone

Last edited:
Help needed again!!!
Just created a game as Liverpool and totally refurbished the backroom staff. Was in the middle of buying Aguero, Srna and Diego. Then it all totally went off. Is this because I ticked/unticked <-- (can't remember which) 'compress save games'??? I'm gutted because I've spent hours on it!

---------- Post added at 03:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:10 PM ----------

Help please!

---------- Post added at 07:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:22 PM ----------

??????????????????????????????????????????????????

Please don't keep posting. We will get to you if you just wait.

Also what exactly is happening as all you have told us is that it "totally went off".

I started a new game yesterday as Liverpool. But before I started it I ticked compress save games. I then spent hours on bringing staff in and out. Scouting youngsters. Signing Aguero and Srna along with a lad called Cristantus. Was about to start my first friendly against Santos in Brazil. Then my computer just switched off and came back on itself. It's happened to me before but when I went through the steps on the first post it worked fine. Now it's happened again, the only thing I can think of that I've changed is ticking compress save games?

XML Parsing Error

When suffering from XML errors we advise downloading a newer version of XML Parser from Microsoft, this can be done so from this link:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...2b-b4f2-46da-b4b6-c5d7485f2b42&displaylang=en

I can't play the game due to an XML parsing error

If you have a shortcut on your desktop you can do the following:
Right-click on the FM shortcut.
Choose "Properties" from the pop-up menu.
In the "Target" field, add the --reset_preferences command line option after "fm.exe", so it should look like this:
"C:\Program Files\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2009\fm.exe" --reset_preferences
Press OK and then try to run the game as normal, using the shortcut.
You'll want to remove the command after you run the game, as otherwise it will continue to reset your preferences every time you launch.

If you don't have a shortcut you can make one and then perform the instructions on the shortcut you've made.
If you purchased and installed the game through Steam you should be able to find the fm.exe in the following directory:
C:/Program Files/Steam/SteamApps/Common/Football Manager 2009/
If you purchased and installed the game from a boxed DVD copy you should be able to find the fm.exe in the following directory:
C:/Program Files/Sports Interactive/Football Manager 2009/

Other XML Errors

Delete the following folder:

XP: C:\Documents and Settings\[your username]\Application Data\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2009\settings

Vista: C:\Users\[your username]\AppData\Roaming\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2009\settings

This may solve some issues regarding the XML Errors

Hiya Sean, ive gone through both of these solutions and i havent had the desired result. ive also tried uninstalling and reinstalling a few times but its still the same. do you think it would make any difference if i downloading the newest update and tried playing it through that instead?

Thanks

i've downloaded the new parsing settings...do i need to run them or is it enough that theyve been downloaded?

Also on my shortcut there's no target option on the properties

I dont have an AppData option when i click on my username

What Operating System are you using?

i've downloaded the new parsing settings...do i need to run them or is it enough that theyve been downloaded?

Also on my shortcut there's no target option on the properties

Yes you need to run and install it.

Are you sure you are looking at the properties of a shortcut?

Issues!

Hi Sean,

---------- Post added at 09:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:23 AM ----------

Hi sean,
I know your gettin alot of poss, but i start playin the game perfectly but as soon as i get to play a game against another team this appears:
"not well-formed (invalid token) at line 1 of s.xml"
which in turn closes the whole of footy manager......What do i do?

i downloaded the game using Steam if that helps, ive changed teams, reinstalled it, started new games and i happens every time.

Many Thanks

Just make sure you follow all of the above steps correctly and it should fix your game.

cheers sean, this sorted my game out, haven't encountered an xml in a while now

Just make sure you follow all of the above steps correctly and it should fix your game.

I followed your steps exactly but it says that I Cannot Load the Saved Game! Help Please!

i know this might b off subject but i dont know where to put this. My game wont start keeps coming up with an error

"the application failed to initialze properly (0xc0150002). Can anyone help?????

i know this might b off subject but i dont know where to put this. My game wont start keeps coming up with an error

"the application failed to initialze properly (0xc0150002). Can anyone help?????

it might be beacuse of your graphic card

I have posted a fix to that same question many times. Just use the search (advanced searching should find what you need).