XML Parsing Error Solution

Sean

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
XML Parsing Error

When suffering from XML errors we advise downloading a newer version of XML Parser from Microsoft, this can be done so from this link:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...2b-b4f2-46da-b4b6-c5d7485f2b42&displaylang=en

I can't play the game due to an XML parsing error

If you have a shortcut on your desktop you can do the following:
Right-click on the FM shortcut.
Choose "Properties" from the pop-up menu.
In the "Target" field, add the --reset_preferences command line option after "fm.exe", so it should look like this:
"C:\Program Files\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2009\fm.exe" --reset_preferences
Press OK and then try to run the game as normal, using the shortcut.
You'll want to remove the command after you run the game, as otherwise it will continue to reset your preferences every time you launch.

If you don't have a shortcut you can make one and then perform the instructions on the shortcut you've made.
If you purchased and installed the game through Steam you should be able to find the fm.exe in the following directory:
C:/Program Files/Steam/SteamApps/Common/Football Manager 2009/
If you purchased and installed the game from a boxed DVD copy you should be able to find the fm.exe in the following directory:
C:/Program Files/Sports Interactive/Football Manager 2009/

Other XML Errors

Delete the following folder:

XP: C:\Documents and Settings\[your username]\Application Data\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2009\settings

Vista: C:\Users\[your username]\AppData\Roaming\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2009\settings

This may solve some issues regarding the XML Errors

Last edited:
same here my game is always saying cannot load saved game i have only ever got past 2009!!!!!!!

try and reset your prefences and then try to go on football mananger that is what i do.....i just cant get my saved games to work after 2009 or somthing like that!!

yeah i have done that about 50 times :mad: still doesnt work

but thanks for the tip;)

---------------------------
XML parsing error!
not well-formed (invalid token) at line 1 of s.xml

OK

That is my XML error

is that what u get when u did what it says to do at 1st post

erm i just started again but now the frikkin games telling me i need to the code and installation again???
even though ive already done this via that stupid steamthing helppp please cos now i cant even play the game.....

erm i just started again but now the frikkin games telling me i need to the code and installation again???
even though ive already done this via that stupid steamthing helppp please cos now i cant even play the game.....

Sounds like you deleted your FM 2009 Certificate folder.

BEJEEZUS how do i fix this without having to phone and moan? cheers anyway(wh)

Try a fresh install.

Hi Sean - Right, Got into second season, no problems, then I get xml problem hit me. So I do the jobby on microsoft, still not working. So I remove FM09 and re-install. Problem being is, it only allowed me to remove the game from Steam, it would not remove the windows game or shortcuts.

Anyway, I created a new user on my laptop and installed it on that account and its working sweet. Im worried though, will this happen in the 2nd season of my new game? How do I prevent it? Im running the updated database.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Yeah this is silly. Into my game with all the graphics i downloaded etc and now getting this stupid parsing error message. Try a fresh install?? NO THANKS.

XML Parsing Errors help

Thnx Sean!!!! U da best!!!!!
i luv fm 2009 and am addicted 2 da game
yesterday mt pc shut down by accident while i was playing and 2day when i tried 2 start da game it said xml parsing error - not well-formed line at the end of last_saved_game.xml
da game just wouldnt start but once i followed ur directions its working again
thnx a lot sean
btw i just luv this site
i think its da best for fm fans:D

i forgot what i was suppose to change it back to after u have managed to fix the problem

evrey time i type in what u said it comes up target path is not valid
do u no what wrong