Your Club - Are You Satisfied With the Window?

• Thread starter Thread starter StuW
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 64
  • Views Views 5K
We have a core group of players who love the club for it's history and it's badge.
As a football fan, I can't ask for any more than that.

This^

Really pleased we haven't bought any 'Prima-Donnas'. All that have signed have done it because they want to play for Newcastle, and want to help the club succeed and go forward, and I believe that they will.

Overall I'm pleased with what Mick McCarthy has done and the signings what Wolves have made.

Roger Johnson - Seen him play last season for blues, and always wanted him to join us, He's a fantastic defender and has helped us get 2 clean sheets out of our first three games, which is fantastic IMO. Plus getting him for £4.5m with Scott Dann going for £5m and Matt Mills for £5.5m, is a bargain, although Blackburn did get Dann very cheap!

Jamie O'Hara - Very happy to have got O'Hara on a permament, he was fantastic for us on loan, however the first 3 games for us he has been pretty poor, his balls have been bad, and doesn't look half the player he was when he finished the season, and hopefully he can get it back. But no doubt for £3m its a quality signing!

Doris De Vires - Haven't seen much of him but what I've heard from Swansea fans he was a brilliant keeper for them, Only seen him play once (vs. Northampton) and he pulled off some fantastic saves!!

But with those three signings i would have liked to have seen a back up striker, or someone to challenge Doyle and Fletch, maybe Jermain Beckford... Wolves fans have been saying we need a LB for years, yet nothing has happened, and i don't understand why one hasn't been bought!?!?! Everton need to sell, get in Leighton Bains!!

I'd say my expectations for the window have been pretty much fulfilled, but since my expectations weren't stellar that doesn't necessarily mean I'm happy about it. This was always going to be a window of cutting and saving - our wage bill was astronomical. Luke Young, a 32 year old utility full-back, was on 60k p/w - and as such it's pretty much as expected. The obvious departure of Ashley Young was sad, but also gave us a nice chunk of money (and kudos to United for not attempting to rip us off with stupidly low offers) which was added to by the more surprising sale of that Downing ******** (unlike United, Liverpool were rather more insulting with their offers) and the cutting of quite a few fringe players.

I think, however, we may have gone just a tad TOO far with the cutting. Our first-team senior squad is scarily thin, and the youngsters are going to have to step up and have a big year. The people we've brought in to replace them, however, have generally been of a high standard. Shay Given is still a top 'keeper, Alan Hutton is a mercurial full-back that McLeish knows well, N'Zogbia was one of the most impressive players from the bottom half of the Prem, and Enda Stevens will bolster both our left-back position and our Irish contingent. Couple this with the revival in form of Richard Dunne and Stephen Warnock, and we look fairly well-placed to push on with a much more solid defence than last year.

I think I'm a lot happier now than I was three days ago. Jermaine Jenas, whilst hardly a stellar player, brings endeavour and energy off the bench as well as a wealth of experience, and Alan Hutton fills the hole at right-back which was being filled with part-timers or the ageing Young. One thing I am unhappy about is the loaning out of Jean Deux Makoun, which has ****** me off no end. It makes no sense to me to loan him out and replace him with Jermaine Jenas... never mind. We've strengthened two of the places most at risk (right-back and central midfield, with the wing being the one unfilled) and will have to rely on youngsters and part-timers to fill the other gaps.

In other words, I'm satisfied enough.

Pah! Our signings were made back in May/June under another manager. Would have liked more creativity in midfield but i'm already writting off this season anyway.

Should Arsenal fans be? I don't know. I'm half an half. I'm glad the Fabregas saga is over but i'm upset that he is left, I haven't lost respect for him, nor do i dislike him anymore. The loss of Samir Na$ri was imminent, and to be honest, I couldn't care less, I hope he rots on the bench for the rest of his career. Bitterness aside, i'm happy with the signings of Mikel Arteta and Per Mertesacker who i believe are more than capable to do their job for the club. The videos i've seen of Andre Santos pleases me, but thats just his attacking side, It's hard to find a good compilation of defensive displays on youtube, which is a shame. The videos i've seen of Park Chu Young just shows me that he's a standard CF, that might not be the case, but that's what i've seen of him, don't shoot me ;) I'm very happy with the typical Wenger signing AOC, will be a good player in the future. I'm delighed with the signing of Gervinho who will bring something to the team instantly. I'M ELATED WITH THE LOAN DEPARTURE OF BENDTNER!!!

Overall, i'm optimistic for the season with our transfers.

Oh, and even though it's not my club; QPR have made some great transfers, excited for them.

I'm half and half.
As an FC Twente supporter it's sad to see the best player of the Eredivisie leave to join Fulham. Ruiz is a fantastic player and he deserves to play for a great team, but come on, Fulham? No offence but I think he could've done way better. Also because I detest Martin Jol.
I'm happy with the free transfer of Willem Jansen to us, I think he'll be very important this year because of his experience and determination. He also seems to keep his head cool under high pressure.
Not really sure yet on Leroy Fer. We got him for 5.5m euro from Feyenoord which is expensive. Though he is very determined and works hard for the team. We have to see about him.
Tim Cornelisse might be old but he seems to do pretty well. Though I still would like to see an extra fullback because Rosales is terrible!
In the end I'd still like to see an extra winger since Ruiz left and a CB because Wisgerhof is old and the backups are terrible. Also, why didn't we try to sign Aissati? Ajax wants to get rid of him for cheap and he can play on the wings, is creative and fast.
Hopefully Ola John and Steven Berghuis develop fast. Especially Ola John, he doesn't give a **** who the opponent is, he just runs past it!

Last edited:
I'm very happy with the signings West ham made
a little sad about Scott Parker, bet we will be OK
I think we have a great chance of coming back in the premier league

As for Barca, great transfers this season
all the **** players have left (mostly on loan, but they left)
cesc looks like he never left, and alexis will be a great player, for sure

Yes.
19 players left, 30 million worth of wages, all dead wood gone. Degen, El Zhar, Cole, Jovanovic, and so on.
Quality only coming in, Enrique, Downing, Adam all looking boss. Coates/Doni yet to play.

Wolves fans have been saying we need a LB for years, yet nothing has happened, and i don't understand why one hasn't been bought!?!?! Everton need to sell, get in Leighton Bains!!

El-oh-el.

As an FC Twente supporter it's sad to see the best player of the Eredivisie leave to join Fulham. Ruiz is a fantastic player and he deserves to play for a great team, but come on, Fulham? No offence but I think he could've done way better. Also because I detest Martin Jol.

I can totally see where your coming from, shocked me too, surprised he decided to join us. I reckon he'll only be here a season or two though, too good for us if he is what people say.

Delighted with our overall transfer movement, got enough depth for the europa league now. Particularly impressed with Ruiz and Riise. Grygera and Sa aren't bad acquisitions either. Sa will be excellent backup for Zamora which we've always lacked. Kasami will be important for us in the europa league. Only thing we lack now is a replacement for Murphy but it will be very hard to find a player like him but we have got two transfer windows or so to do it. Anyway, I literally cannot wait to see Ruiz, don't think we've ever signed a player of his quality. Onwards and upwards.

COYW.

Yes.
19 players left, 30 million worth of wages, all dead wood gone. Degen, El Zhar, Cole, Jovanovic, and so on.
Quality only coming in, Enrique, Downing, Adam all looking boss. Coates/Doni yet to play.

I've only seen Doni in the warm-ups when you played Sunderland, but I have to say, he looked pathetic :) Otherwise, Liverpool have made some great (if expensive) signings.

Happy with Sunderland's dealings, shame we couldn't have got a left winger in but still, not bad.

Very happy with the signings Dalglish has made.

Coates looks good and may well be a replacement/challenger to Carragher. Downing, and Adam looked solid but slightly disappointed with Aquilani's departure. He looked good for us. Happy that Meireles left and I don't know what made KD pay 20 mil for Hendo.

Most definitely! Sold Jenkinson to Arsenal for a cool 1 million which we have used to sign 18 players, some of which look quality in the early stages, plus the way it's going Arsenal might offer him back to us for a fiver ;) Plus we have also got rid of some of the dead wood :)

Really happy with everyone that Chelsea has bought :)

Gael Etock - Very young striker, I think he's only 17, maybe in a few years he can pull through or attract a decent price.

Oriol Romeu - Another signing from Barcelona, hopefully he will form a strong midfield partnership with McEachran and Mikel in the future

Thibaut Courtois - Promising keeper, will definitely be the replacement for Cech. Hopefully he can perform for Atletico this year

Juan Mata - IMO, our marquee signing. His cameo appearance against Norwich was fantastic, he has a fantastic vision for passing and the ability to think quickly. Possible player of the season for Chelsea.

Romelu Lukaku - Rather irritating that this took so long to go through, but still, a fantastic player, top scorer at 16 in the Belgian Pro League is pretty impressive. He looks like a natural replacement for Drogba

Ulises Davila - Admittedly, I hadn't heard of this guy, but has gone on loan to Vitesse this season. Might be Chelsea's Chicharito in years to come

Raul Meireles - We did need a midfielder, and this lad is a great player for a quarter the price that Modric would have come for. There's no doubt that Modric is better, but not four times better. IMO, I think we've got this lad on the cheap, and his month experience with AVB should make him settle at Chelsea more easily.

I'm disappointed that Borini and Zhirkov left, and I would have liked to see Neymar join, but I think we've been good in the window this time :)

Last edited:
Blimey.

Erm - In the end, yes I am happy. Annoyed it took us so long when it blatantly didn't need to (we signed 5 players in 2 days!) but we've got in cover where we needed it and I think the players we've signed are real quality. Benayoun is an interesting one - he was apparently on his way to Liverpool before Wenger called him up.

Interesting directness with our new signings, though - Chamberlain, Gervinho and Benayoun (as well as Mertesacker to an extent) suggests less faffing about with the ball and more getting to the byline and tricking our way into dangerous positions in the box and/or getting crosses in. Arteta suggests less tiki-taka as well - an excellent player IMO who won't replace Cesc's creativity (who can?!) but will certainly help players like Wilshere, Ramsey, Van Persie to make chances in the absence of Fabregas. Arteta made 5 long passes/game last season so that tells me he's more likely to play deeper in midfield - either Wilshere will push up or Arteta will rotate with him and Ramsey.

Mertesacker and Arteta weren't our first choice targets, but they're more than capable 2nd (or 3rd) choices.

It was a good window, it could - and perhaps should - have been great. We bid for Mata but Barca ******* about with the Cesc transfer meant we didn't have the funds available (or didn't know whether we would be able to pay 20m, and then still have some in the bank for a CB if Cesc didn't leave) and we apparently bid for both Gotze (€35m acc. to KICKER) and Hazard (€30m) on the final day of the season but they fell through because Lille couldn't replace Hazard in time and Gotze was deemed too young to move (by family, agents, club). France Football say we'll go back for Hazard in Jan - he'll cost us more then, but if we pull it off, we'll have a superb squad.

---------- Post added at 05:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:44 PM ----------

Better and more detailed analysis of Arsenal's deadline day signings here: Summer transfer window roundup: analysing the deadline day five | Arsenal ReportPlus a little bit about Gervinho here: Arrival number one: Arsenal sign Gervinho from Lille for £10.8m | Arsenal Report

We have signed: Jimmy Ryan, Jordan Robertson, Oliver Norwood (loan), Andy Barcham, Damien Mozika and Shane Duffy (loan). Overall quite satisfied with the signings especially Ryan and Barcham who have been our two best players so far this season.

very pleased.

got a CB, LB, CM/AMC and a striker

:)

Transfers so far have been superb.

Still a bit worried about Zebroski, hopefully he'll come good though.

In terms of the league, we could do better, however I won't be complaining about league position after last seasons horror show!

Haaaaaaaaaarold!

Even though Forest have made some good signings I still don't think it's enough to make a final push to the premiership. We are still lacking a left back which we've desperatley needed for 2 seasons now. I've got respect for the chairman but it's getting very frustrating he's not giving enough money for transfers and he won't budge even if Mclaren asks.

Back