Your FM Abilities

Redstag

Reaction score
A bit of objectivity here please. What would you consider to be your greatest strenghts and weaknesses as a FM Manager.

Personally I think I am very good at the off the field stuff. I nearly always find a way of balancing the books and getting the right kind of training (not just a download from here though its probably same thing anyway) and backroom staff in place. There is usually a good squad harmony and usually make a profit anually.

My weaknesses are that I am conservative and that I can turn most teams into world beaters but it takes maybe a season or two longer than it should. I am managing Villareal for last 4 seasons and have come either 3rd or 4th every time. This year I go for the title but I probably had the team to do it last year. I also had a poor understanding of tactics.

Whose next?

Nice thread.
I think with me, my main strengths are also in the off the pitch stuff. I'm best at stretching my transfer budget and can completely reshape any team within a season. However, due to this I often use the first season as a practice season and occasionally win a cup despite probably being able to win the league.

I'd say my strength's were tactics and finding player's on the cheap. I always can make a decent tactic for a side now to reach expectations or exceed them, and I've got the knack of finding player's the cheap or on free's out of no where sometimes. Also good at motivating players, I have sometimes a bad first half and then come out blazing in the 2nd half. Dressing room atmosphere is always top notch

I'd say my weakness is finances. I do sometimes go crazy in transfer windows because I'm able to find lot's of bargains, I just want to buy them all (A). But on my Portsmouth story I'm balancing the books every season now and it's getting closer to be a strength rather than a weakness :)

Last edited:
Strengths: Finances, on the field and cheap players
Weaknesses: Off the field, keeping players happy.
(H)

Strengths: I know my football (done my prelims as a coach when i left school) Im also pretty knowledgeable on managers and how they set up,from all era's.

Weaknesses: Too lazy regarding,friendly's,OI,Touchline shouts,changing tactics on game by game basis.I give them all a wide berth.

Strengths: Rotation/players happy and Tactics
Weaknesses: Finances, Media handling

my strengths are managing the club financialy, bringing in big names, makig players and staff like me and squad disapline

weaknesses are club loyalty i always flirt with other jobs and thats gets me sacked alot.

Strengths; Tactics and good solid signings on the cheap or well thought out.

Weaknesses: Training schedules and friendlies they bore me

I'd say that, generally, I'm good at motivating my players. For example, if we're losing by a big margin [3 goals, say] I have been able to motivate my players to get either a respectable draw or even a win.

My main weakness is that I cannot pick out a good player to save myself. I almost ALWAYS use a scout report and, if I sign them, my assistant says they are worse than what my scout had previously predicted.

Strengths: Bargain players, keeping a squad happy and reassemble teams without affecting morale or how well a squad has gelled
Weakness: Anything on the field lol from tactics to squad rotation, but I'm getting there. Last year was my first FM so it took me a couple of months just to get anything positive out of it

i find myself doing best in getting youngster and turning into superstars. just like wenger.;)

Strengths: Finding high quality regens (no funking Genie scout for me thanks!), training youngsters up to be world beaters!

Weaknesses: Buying players because of there reputation not there attributes or previous seasons stats

strenghts: good motivator, good scout- just no where to look, tweaking player tactics to do exactly wot u want em to, mid game instructions- attacking mainly- many, many comebacks

weaknesses: finances at lower lge clubs, training schedules- just cant get right balance, freindlies- cba with em

Strengths : Finding bargains, Im starting to get the grip of tactics, Motivating(Ive had loads of comebacks and always have a great dressing room atmosphere), Training players and nurturing youngsters, Always keep an eye on finances, Squad rotation(always give players runs in the team and pitch time)

Weaknesses: Cant stay with a lower league club too long(always get bored or loose motivation), Like to completely change my players during the first two seasons, always apply for international jobs(and always get rufused), dont like buying players over 30

Strengths:
1. I know the football 'game' very well and that helps me understand what key roles compliment each other, also helps me know what stats are required for every specific 'role' on the pitch.
2. People may find it boring but like last years football manager i did like to get stuck in with everything to do with training and will do my own training schedules, sign my own coaches, look into every detail possible.
3. Being precise on what i do, training, tactics, purchases everything i do is well thought out eg - looking for a left winger who is going to play a 'Winger/Attack' role im not going to sign a player with low ratings for flair and dribbling am i? well im not.
4. Being Loyal to the club im currently manage, If i start with Port vale ill stay with them forever i will not switch clubs even if it was for a champions league team makes no difference to me whatsoever.

Weaknesses(Got quite alot actually):
1. I love playing mind-games, whether im good at it or not is another matter lol especially when im managing Arsenal when i play the likes of man utd, chelsea, liverpool or any derbies i tend to play mind-games with everyone and it does kind of backfire on me and that sometimes can be the difference between winning the league and coming second.
2. Hate losing but that comes with everyone really, especially when i lose to ****** tottenham i go mad and go mental at my players and single out the players with the low ratings and that will always end up lowering my squads harmony and some players disliking me.
3. Tactics, im fairly ok i wouldnt consider myself **** but wouldnt rate myself to the likes of JP Woody, Zebedee, Max etc etc.
4. Lack of concentration, i watch films when i'm playing fm and through games my eyes tend to scroll over to what ever im watching when most importantly i should be keeping a close eye on my players to see whats going wrong and how i can out smart the opposition with tactical changes.
5. Being hated all over the world, this probaly goes with the mind games one even if a manager likes me and wants to be friends with me i dont like suck ups so i throw it in their faces and say a negative thing back:D. Ends up any of my ambitions to sign one of their players as their prices will go up etc and like me i dont like paying over the odds for a player.
6. Hate the FA and critisize them always when my dont get a penalty or we get a penalty given against us which ends up with me getting a touchline ban that that will cause my team to lose the next game especially when i manage in the lower leagues when my assistant manager had zero tactical skills.

Got alot more i tell you that but i dont feel like telling you. Life story over hehe.

Last edited:
Strength: Man management, staff procurement and economics.
Weakness: Making my own tactics and tweaking tactics to better suit my purpose. Critise the FA for anything at any time. Not the best at devising training schedules, but getting there!=)

Strength - Wheeling and dealing, finding bargains, training
Weaknesses - just about everything else, but mostly getting the best from expensive signings.

Strenghts: Giving players fines ;)
Weaknesses: Everything else

Strengths - Finances, morale, bargain-hunting, building a solid defense.

Weakness - Motivating players, ( sometimes ) patience. And dealing with huge expectancies.

Strengths - getting the best out of players, training/developing youth, buying players

Weaknesses - Keeping within budget, keeping all players happy, sometimes signing too many players....