Your World Cup Memories

I remember crying after the game against Portugal in 06, also in back Euro 2004, :'( I get really emotional over football, either upset, or really angry.

know what you mean 100% i would proberly of cried today if chelsea lost or drew to liverpool because the league would be gone lol

**** me mate the tears were running at the Cottage on Thursday

First one I remember was '98. Well I don't exactly remember it because I was only 5, but I remember my dad and his mates going mad at Beckham against Argentina. Obviously I didn't know what the **** was going on at that point.

2002 was the first one I really watched and enjoyed it alot. Even got the offical video after it finished, God knows how many times I watched that :S. Was a great tournament I thought. Ronaldo in his prime, Kahn in his prime, France epically failing, what more could you want (except England not failing again).

How long left until the World Cup? Do you think it would be a good idea having a countdown clock on FM Base?

Do you rmember owen's injury in 06 looked painful.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHgu5e9K3Ww"]YouTube- Michael Owen Damaging his knee[/ame]

What do you think of this countdown clock by the way it's for my world cup website for it coursework its just the basics haven't added the design yet:

(The animation works but you have to click the attachment for it to work it changes every minute)

Last edited:
FIfa 2002 was the first one that I remembered. I think we beat Nigeria and as I watched it in primary school there were triumphant cries from the english boys as we scored and there were cries of anger from the angry majority Nigerian contingency of my school lol.

Does anyone America 94 and Colombian defender Escobar? He scored an own goal which knocked Colombia out and he was shot dead for it when he returned home.

On 2 July 1994, Escobar was shot outside "El Indio" bar, located in a Medellín suburb. It was reported that the killer shouted "Goal!" (mimicking South American sporting commentators for their calls after a goal is scored) for each of the 12 bullets fired.[2]
The murder was widely believed to be a punishment for the own goal.[3] It is not clear whether the murderer was one of the gambling syndicates who had bet large amounts of money on Colombia to qualify for the second round. The BBC issued an apology the following day after its pundit Alan Hansen commented on another match that "the Argentine defender wants shooting for a mistake like that."[4]
Escobar's funeral was attended by 120,000 people and a statue was built in his honour. Every year people honour Escobar by bringing photographs of him to matches.[1]
Humberto Muñoz Castro was found guilty of Escobar's murder in June 1995 and sentenced to 43 years in prison. Muñoz had been working as a teacher at a local elementary school.
The sentence was later reduced to 26 years due to his submitting to the ruling penal code in 2001. Muñoz was released on good behavior due to further reductions from prison work and study in 2005 after serving approximately 11 years, in a controversial move.
[edit]Honours

copy n pasted lol

John Collins penalty against Brazil at France 98 is my earliest World Cup memory also Tom Boyd's O.G. to give Brazil the win

I'm pretty young, and have only wacthed clips of the World Cup 2006, but Ghana(Where I am from) doing so well in Round 1, only losing once to Italy and beating Czech Republic 2-0, and USA 2-1, with so much hope going into Round 2 and woah we get Brazil and lose 3-0!

From France 98 I remember not understanding the comotion over the original Ronaldo I thought he broke his leg but then they still wanted him to play oO)
From South Korea 2002 I remember Seaman's howler and watching the game at school getting served breakfast and everything, needless to say the whole mood after was somber until breaktime :)
I didnt really watch all of Germany '06 I knew it would go down to the wire so I watched ET...heabutt...game over!

Post for Post South Africa '10 I was amazed by Gerrard's wonder goal in the final after great work by Lampard perhaps they can work together. Also kudos to Ghana and Ivory Coast contesting the first all African semi-final :$

Last edited:
i also liked watching Senegal beating France 1-0 in the 2002 World Cup

Im just gunna go with my first which would be Scotland v Brazil in the 98 WC.

Was watching it at my friends house and my mum had bought us a can of shandy each, felt like a proper man drinking it (Lee still would at 22), and of course the game itself, where Brazil took the lead and we equalised with a John COllins pen, I missed the Brazil winner, a Tom Boyd OG as I was on my way home :(

Im just gunna go with my first which would be Scotland v Brazil in the 98 WC.

Was watching it at my friends house and my mum had bought us a can of shandy each, felt like a proper man drinking it (Lee still would at 22), and of course the game itself, where Brazil took the lead and we equalised with a John COllins pen, I missed the Brazil winner, a Tom Boyd OG as I was on my way home :(

Ahh epic game until the og :(

Argentina's 20 pass move at the last World Cup or Bergkamp in the 98 world cup period.

my first real memory was this [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExUX7MBk5UM"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExUX7MBk5UM[/ame]

sad first memory

Argentina's 20 pass move at the last World Cup.

Good shout,i remember drooling then laughing at Maradona. He was sat with posh VIPs watching the game and after that goal was score he took his shirt off and was swinging it round his head,his fat gut and **** in the faces of some shocked VIPs lol.

My memories are mainly Owens goal against Argentina in '98 and the Ronaldinho's free kick against us in 2002.

Ok it sounds abit weird but i side with Italy and i'm Maltese, but Malta isn't gonna go to a World Cup so Italy is my choice.

WC 1998:

I think I remember ItalyvCameroon when Italy beat them 3-0 in the group stages, then lsoing to France in the last 16 or quarters.

WC 2002:

Don't remember anything of the group stage, just remember the game against South Korea, and the bad refereeing that was going on.

WC 2006: still fresh in my memory

beating Ghana in the first game, then drawing with the States and beating Czech Republic. Australia was next and the little contact on Grosso was enough for the winning goal(6). Smashing the Ukraine 3-0 in the quarters, the 2 late extra time goals of Grosso and Del Piero. As if I could forget this the final against France, i swear i nearly shat myself in the penalties but luckily they won so I was a happy man. Buffon amazing tournament just letting in 2 goals, with the help of their amazing captain Cannavaro.

The thing i remember most from 06 was Ronaldo winking after he got Rooney sent off. Lets hope Rooney can keep control of his temper this World Cup because it will be targeted.

Yep, that's my boy Ronnie(K) ^^