preseasone with tactic. its not too bad. defence not so good and conceded a few from corners. ill have a good go tomorrow.

Currently testing this View attachment 413383 long term to see how it runs.

Changes from the original tactic are -

Switched the AM(s) to Treq to match the existing Treq. This not only involves him more in the game and opens up even more space for the Regista to operate in but is also more accurate historically as Brazil 1982 played with 2 Trequartistas.

Changed the F9 to Poacher to match the existing Poacher. This allows both Treqs to have targets to aim at and adds balance to the front line. Downside is it slightly reduces the chances of quick counters as both strikers stay further forward, so -

Removed the Shorter Passing team instruction in order to speed the transition phase slightly. Although this is against the general philosophy of the tactic, it doesn't dramatically change the dynamic (passing is still short as the players are close to each other naturally) and is still within the philosophy of very quick transition without resorting to long passes.

This is by no means a comprehensive change of course and the tactic is still being tested ;)

The 14.3 tactic works nicely, but that's not the point. I always want my tactics to work in a certain way and follow a certain plan. The old 1.6 version did exactly that and I'm sure, given time and a complete rebuild, I can recreate it again. Meanwhile, I am also testing a 3-4-3 in 14.3 so if anyone wants to try it, here you goView attachment 412779

Still under testing, no guarantee..blah, blah...

If you try it, you're gonna need a DC (D) with very very high Anticipation

The 14.3 tactic works nicely, but that's not the point. I always want my tactics to work in a certain way and follow a certain plan. The old 1.6 version did exactly that and I'm sure, given time and a complete rebuild, I can recreate it again. Meanwhile, I am also testing a 3-4-3 in 14.3 so if anyone wants to try it, here you goView attachment 516219

Still under testing, no guarantee..blah, blah...

If you try it, you're gonna need a DC (D) with very very high Anticipation

hope you can get this to work loved this tac

OK, lots and lots of testing later and I think we're back to playing something very close to the original 1.6 version.

Here it is -

View attachment 412291

Changes:

* A lot of the short passing PIs have been removed to encourage faster transition in the attacking phase.
* Regista has been replaced with a DLP (S) to strengthen the defence slightly and to ensure he's more often in position to launch counter attacks.
* The AM(S) has been changed to Trequartista for historical accuracy and greater freedom of movement.
* Mentality has been set to Counter and Fluidity to Fluid. The team now sits a little deeper and launches quick counters through the middle.
* Removed Short Passing TI and Exploit The Flanks is now Exploit the Middle to concentrate attacks through the Treqs.
* Goalkeeper has been changed from SK(s) to GK(D) to make him less prone to doing something ridiculous and to reflect the deeper defensive line.

Enjoy ;)

I love the formation.
Suits perfectly my Monaco side, with James and Roberto Firmino as my 2 MOC.

Do you use any OI and what's your match prep ?

I love the formation.
Suits perfectly my Monaco side, with James and Roberto Firmino as my 2 MOC.

Do you use any OI and what's your match prep ?

No OIs are used as everything should be covered already. I use Defensive Positioning away and Attacking Movement at home (although, to be honest, I don't notice much difference)

Slight Update -

View attachment 412212

* Reduced Tempo slightly to stop the ball being played forward to the Poacher too early, leaving him isolated and forcing him to take long shots.

*Changed the F9 to Poacher as well so both Treqs have a close outlet for the through ball

So far so good, I have played half a season with the tactic with a promoted Cologne side in Germany and sitting 6th, fighting for europe so far.

Quite often I find the AMCs are isolated from play, they end up far up the pitch unavailable for build-up play, they get no good ratings also.
To be fair, I have to say this is almost a complete new eleven (9 new players starting from first XI) and some players of the promotion season got unhappy too, so no good level of team understanding yet. That's why I trained Team cohesion and used Teamwork for Match prep the whole time until now.

However for a team predicted to land about 16th place I'm happy :) Good work!

So far so good, I have played half a season with the tactic with a promoted Cologne side in Germany and sitting 6th, fighting for europe so far.

Quite often I find the AMCs are isolated from play, they end up far up the pitch unavailable for build-up play, they get no good ratings also.
To be fair, I have to say this is almost a complete new eleven (9 new players starting from first XI) and some players of the promotion season got unhappy too, so no good level of team understanding yet. That's why I trained Team cohesion and used Teamwork for Match prep the whole time until now.

However for a team predicted to land about 16th place I'm happy :) Good work!

Looking good! If there's too much space between the Treqs and the rest, it may be one of two things - The Work Rate of your two advanced midfielders looks a little low so perhaps they are not working back to get possession hard enough. Secondly, you could try returning the DLP to Regista and he should push higher up the field to link.

I don't have this problem but I never put a player on the pitch unless his WR is 14 at least, so I suspect it's the first thing ;)

Thanks for the feedback :)

Just pointing this out, but the trequartista role has 0 closing down, so if their work rate is 1 or 20, they still won't really close down as they're told tactically not to.

Just pointing this out, but the trequartista role has 0 closing down, so if their work rate is 1 or 20, they still won't really close down as they're told tactically not to.

True, but Hassle Opponents is ticked in TIs ;)

And unless something has changed recently (and I stand to be corrected) but WR doesn't just cover closing down, it also dictates how involved in play a player is? Players with high WR normally make themselves more available and create situations rather than waiting for it to happen and reacting accordingly.

Last edited:
True, but Hassle Opponents is ticked in TIs ;)

And unless something has changed recently (and I stand to be corrected) but WR doesn't just cover closing down, it also dictates how involved in play a player is? Players with high WR normally make themselves more available and create situations rather than waiting for it to happen and reacting accordingly.

Yeah you're right about work rate. However, hassle opponents doesn't effect the treqs, so when you've got 2, you're effectively playing with 9 when you don't have the ball.

Thought I'd update this tactic after getting a little bored (and winning everything) with the 3-4-3 I've been using ;)

View attachment 387909

1. Team instructions have been greatly simplified to speed up transition. Likewise some player instructions have been removed to allow greater freedom of choice for attacking players.
  2. For historical accuracy, the team now plays with two bona-fide Registas. One is granted leave to roam more. Brazil didn't play with dedicated holding midfielders in these roles until many years later (the days of Dunga et al c.1994).
  3. Both attacking midfielders now play as Trequartistas so the F9 role has been changed to AF to provide more forward support and to allow space for 7 and 11 to roam in.