2011 UEFA European Under-21 Tournament

Becuase he is better than auld "Arry, and we've had final and a semi final under him, he has a good under 21 record. A lesson here will be that he needs t be more daring with his team selection. hardly the end of the world

Mike, it's not just his team selection, it's his football - it's been dire all tournament.

Mike, it's not just his team selection, it's his football - it's been dire all tournament.

3 games, as opposed to 18 months of good football. so we fire him and start all over again and hpe to get lucky, or we let him learn from the mistakes so we can move on and evolve

3 games, as opposed to 18 months of good football. so we fire him and start all over again and hpe to get lucky, or we let him learn from the mistakes so we can move on and evolve

But as Jones is saying, it's not just his mistakes in team selection, it's his general tactical approach - sit back, play long ball, create nothing. We can't put that all down to Wilshere's absence, so why did he suddenly change it all if he's been playing good football up till now? He hasn't adapted his team to play without Wilshere/McEachran and all tournament didn't learn from his biggest mistake: Playing long-ball.

Is he really going to learn from his mistakes now? How do we know that when he hasn't after Spain, Ukraine? And will he actually move from long-ball or just rely on the presence of McEachran/Wilshere to play half-decent football?

But as Jones is saying, it's not just his mistakes in team selection, it's his general tactical approach - sit back, play long ball, create nothing. We can't put that all down to Wilshere's absence, so why did he suddenly change it all if he's been playing good football up till now? He hasn't adapted his team to play without Wilshere/McEachran and all tournament didn't learn from his biggest mistake: Playing long-ball.

Is he really going to learn from his mistakes now? How do we know that when he hasn't after Spain, Ukraine? And will he actually move from long-ball or just rely on the presence of McEachran/Wilshere to play half-decent football?

so you want to ignore 18 months on the basis of 3 games? I dont know if he will learn, buts lets give him the opportunity. its this attitude that has left england in the state it is, we played well in patches this time, and he will know that we pay off with a more a agressive approach to our defending, allowing us to attack from further up the pitch.

He has a really god record with u-21s, hist a big stumbling block and we wanna can him. England never learn

Last edited:
Hahaha: 'Typical England' is trending on twitter. BRILLIANT.

sit back, play long ball, create nothing

To be fair, we haven't even had a senior England team manager in a long time that had done anything different.

In general, our national team is wank, for some reason, they can't take their club performances to the national team. Maybe it's all the ***** foreign defenders that are making our attackers look good? Or all the ***** foreign attackers that make our defenders look good?

Or maybe, it's because all the technically gifted foreigners fill the gaps in teams where English players fail to excel, and when the national team meet together, they realise that we have no creativity or attacking fluidity.

I would hate to be England manager. Most of the team seem to have the attitude of 'As long as I look good...', while they pass the ball 400 ******* times across the back four, even when we are losing.

Tossers.

Funny how everyone used to ******* Sven Goran-Eriksson for being ****. Turns out he was actually truly brilliant...

Funny how everyone used to ******* Sven Goran-Eriksson for being ****. Turns out he was actually truly brilliant...

I just want us to actually try and have some continuity for once, it actually worked under Sven

If the next England manager's to be English, there aren't many options...
Let's shortlist;
Redknapp
Pearce
Hodgson
Allardyce
Bruce
Off the top of my head, very little to pick from.

Let's shortlist;
Redknapp
Pearce
Hodgson
Allardyce
Bruce

And all play lovely expansive sexy passing football... oh wait.

Let's shortlist;
Redknapp
Pearce
Hodgson
Allardyce
Bruce

Chris Hughton, Alan Pardew, Neil Warnock, Ian Holloway, Roy Hodgson, Alan Shearer, Brian Laws, Paul Hart, Gary Megson, Phil Brown.

Yep, we're ******.

Chris Hughton, Alan Pardew, Neil Warnock, Ian Holloway, Roy Hodgson, Alan Shearer, Brian Laws, Paul Hart, Gary Megson, Phil Brown.

Yep, we're ******.

Aye, though call me crazy, Hughton would probably be my favourite from those, albeit he's majorly un-tested.

Aye, though call me crazy, Hughton would probably be my favourite from those, albeit he's majorly un-tested.

Hum. I might be tempted to choose Warnock out of all of them actually.

The FA have really backed themselves into a corner by insisting that the next manager has to be English, considering the dearth of any competent ones around. Worst bit is, no sensible manager will take the England job, it's developing into the biggest poisoned chalice in football.

Hum. I might be tempted to choose Warnock out of all of them actually.

The FA have really backed themselves into a corner by insisting that the next manager has to be English, considering the dearth of any competent ones around. Worst bit is, no sensible manager will take the England job, it's developing into the biggest poisoned chalice in football.

Hence why we should stick with Pearce, and let him evolve and learn with the squad. This tournament is a setback, but he has done plenty of good work and we should give the chance to learn from failure

and not give the job to Harry ******* Redknapp

Hence why we should stick with Pearce, and let him evolve and learn with the squad. This tournament is a setback, but he has done plenty of good work and we should give the chance to learn from failure

and not give the job to Harry ******* Redknapp
Could be worse, could be Allardyce.
Though, no chance of Hodgson getting it, after his time at L'pool.

Phil Brown.

Yep, we're ******.

YES!

Could be worse, could be Allardyce.
Though, no chance of Hodgson getting it, after his time at L'pool.

Could be Phil Brown...

Pep Guardiola for England manager. (H)

No thanks. What's he going to do when he can't spend 50 gazilion euros on some waste of space striker? I bet he'd try and get Cesc Fabregas to join up with England as well...

I personally feel - despite my bias - that Guardiola has shown very little tactical versatility. His plan when things aren't going well is literally just "give the ball to Messi". The reason he's done so well is because he's a Barcelona legend as a player so all the players respect him. The one thing he has implemented brilliantly is the pressing game, but even that isn't really his work as much as the general learning process at La Masia.

---------- Post added at 09:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:51 AM ----------

At least if we had Ian Holloway, we'd play exciting football and go out with a bang rather than what we're doing currently (Every international tournament), which is passing it around the back four 3,000 times and then trying to smash it out to the wing. We may draw every game 5-5 but wouldn't that be much better than the pile of **** we've played this tournament and at the WC?