2013/14 Liga BBVA Thread

• Thread starter iNickStuff
  • Start date
  • Replies 84
  • Views 8K
I

iNickStuff

A follow-up from StuW's thread from three seasons ago, from the 2010-11 season. Anything and everything related to Liga BBVA this forthcoming season can and shall be discussed on this thread.​

Barcelona are the defending champions once again to a title Real Madrid will be pursuing under the new regime of Carlo Ancelotti, after his departure from Paris Saint-Germain. Gerardo Martino is the new successor at the helm to Tito Villanova, whose forced resignation due to health concerns means it's the club's third managerial change in just over a year.

Elche, Villarreal and Almería are the three promoted teams, whilst Mallorca, Real Zaragoza and Deportivo La Coruña will play their football in the second-tier, Liga Adelante this season. Barcelona, Real and Atlético Madrid all qualified for the group stage of the 2013/14 UEFA Champions League, whilst Real Sociedad clinched a playoff berth in the top European knockout club competition. Valencia, Real Betis and Sevilla all qualified for the UEFA Europa League; Valencia at the group stage, the latter two for the playoffs. Málaga and Rayo Vallecano were both disqualified from competing. Málaga from all UEFA competitions for the rest of the season, Rayo for failing to meet the European governing body's requirements as for obtaining a UEFA license.​

You can find the official 2013/14 Liga BBVA fixture list here.​

You can also follow news from the league on The Guardian here.

Clubs:

View attachment 375594 UD Almería
Ground: Estadio del Mediterráneo (22,000)
Manager: Francisco Javier Rodríguez Vílchez (shortened to Francisco)

View attachment 375595 Athletic Bilbao
Ground: San Mamés Barria (53,333)
Manager: Ernesto Valverde

View attachment 375596 Atlético Madrid
Ground: Vicente Calderón Stadium (54,851)
Manager: Diego Simeone

View attachment 375602 FC Barcelona
Ground: Camp Nou (99,354)
Manager: Gerardo Martino

View attachment 375604 Real Betis Balompié
Ground: Estadio Benito Villamarín (51,700)
Manager: Pepe Mel

View attachment 375603 Celta de Vigo
Ground: Balaídos (31,800)
Manager: Luis Enrique

View attachment 375605 Elche CF
Ground: Estadio Manuel Martínez Valero (36,017)
Manager: Fran Escribá

View attachment 375606 RCD Espanyol
Ground: Estadi Cornellà-El Prat (40,500)
Manager: Javier Aguirre

View attachment 375607 Getafe CF
Ground: Coliseum Alfonso Pérez (17,700)
Manager: Luis García Plaza

View attachment 375608 Granada CF
Ground: Estadio Nuevo Los Cármenes (22,524)
Manager: Lucas Alcaraz

View attachment 375609 Levante UD
Ground: Cuitat de València (25,534)
Manager: Joaquín Caparrós

View attachment 375610 Málaga CF
Ground: La Rosaleda (30,044)
Manager: Bernd Schuster

View attachment 375611 Osasuna
Ground: El Sadar (19,553)
Manager: José Luis Mendilibar

View attachment 375612 Rayo Vallecano
Ground: Campo de Vallecas (15,489)
Manager: Paco Jémez

View attachment 375613 Real Madrid CF
Ground: Santiago Bernabéu Stadium (85,454)
Manager: Carlo Ancelotti

View attachment 375614 Real Sociedad
Ground: San Sebastián (32,076)
Manager: Jagoba Arrasate

View attachment 375616 Real Valladolid
Ground: Nuevo José Zorrilla (26,512)
Manager: Juan Ignacio Martínez

View attachment 375615 Sevilla
Ground: Estadio Ramón Sánchez Pizjuán (45,500)
Manager: Unai Emery

View attachment 375617 Valencia CF
Ground: Mestalla (55,000)
Manager: Miroslav Dukic

View attachment 375618 Villarreal CF
Ground: El Madrigal (24,890)
Manager: Marcelino García Toral (shortened to Marcelino)

Last edited:
If they get their man Bale, I can see it being Madrid's year. If not, then it'll likely be Barca's year.

Madrid can do it with or without Bale. He's not critical.

But will help a lot. Bale or Di Maria... I know who I would rather have.

But will help a lot. Bale or Di Maria... I know who I would rather have.

Of course it'll help. But they don't need him, particularly at the prices that are being quoted, and Tottenham's stance. He can wait. Title comes first.

Bale would also add that extra quality to get further in the champions league.

25 points separated first and second in the Bundesliga last season, as opposed to the 15 in Liga BBVA, and 12 in Ligue 1.

I'm not mocking thread btw, I'm just saying I don't like how Real Madrid and Barcelona seem to eternally rule anything Liga BBVA related, not just talking on the pitch related either.

It will be interesting to see how Sevilla do this year after losing Negredo and Navas.

Last edited:
I'm not mocking thread btw, I'm just saying I don't like how Real Madrid and Barcelona seem to eternally rule anything Liga BBVA related, not just talking on the pitch related either.

You could make that argument about any league. Man Utd in the Premiership, Juventus in Serie A, Bayern in the bundesliga... Powerful clubs always dominate their leagues politics.

You could make that argument about any league. Man Utd in the Premiership, Juventus in Serie A, Bayern in the bundesliga... Powerful clubs always dominate their leagues politics.

Juventus have only just returned to being a dominate team in the last 2 years or so but i find the LIGA BBVA always 2 teams competing with the prem yeah united are usually favourites and win it but it used to be Liverpool then Arsenal then chelsea man city had there year also you get the excitement of the battle for top 4 the prem is way more interesting but i do enjoy watching LIGA BBVA dont get me wrong thats my opinion

Juventus have only just returned to being a dominate team in the last 2 years or so but i find the LIGA BBVA always 2 teams competing with the prem yeah united are usually favourites and win it but it used to be Liverpool then Arsenal then chelsea man city had there year also you get the excitement of the battle for top 4 the prem is way more interesting but i do enjoy watching LIGA BBVA dont get me wrong thats my opinion

Throughout those two years they still have, to a degree, been able to maintain a stronghold as one of the league's biggest club. It will remain that way until they find themselves in a considerable decline.

As for the Premier League, for a very long time the title was dealt between Arsenal and Manchester United (mid-to-late-90s/2004), alternating the title intermittently in seasons. Chelsea found their rhythm, thus becoming a Chelsea - United affair, then City - United. But there has always been this theme.

Throughout those two years they still have, to a degree, been able to maintain a stronghold as one of the league's biggest club. It will remain that way until they find themselves in a considerable decline.

As for the Premier League, for a very long time the title was dealt between Arsenal and Manchester United (mid-to-late-90s/2004), alternating the title intermittently in seasons. Chelsea found their rhythm, thus becoming a Chelsea - United affair, then City - United. But there has always been this theme.

were all gonna have our own opinions on this but mine is the LIGA BBVA is abit boring and never seems to surprise me but i respect your opinion

What I love about la liga is that just about every team seems to have one special player that can flip a game on its head

Bale would also add that extra quality to get further in the champions league.
Bale is sooooo overrated, not least by you.

What I love about la liga is that just about every team seems to have one special player that can flip a game on its head
Are you watching the same league as everyone else? I think you mean the big teams have one special player which can flip a game on its head.

Bale is sooooo overrated, not least by you.

Maybe, but much as I hate to agree with DarloGeorge, he's correct. Bale's still CL quality and one of the better players in the world, and his inclusion in the team will strengthen it markedly.

Are you watching the same league as everyone else? I think you mean the big teams have one special player which can flip a game on its head.

Real and Barca are obvious, but Atletico have Villa, Sociedad have Griezmann and Vela, Valencia have Banega, Piatti and Jonas, Malaga have Pedro Morales and Roque Santa Cruz... I'd say it's a fair summation.

I find that a considerable amount of the teams in the league from the top 4 down are probably just as balanced as each other. Even the lower-end teams are able to contest against some of the higher-end ones. Makes the competition exciting.