You'll get nothing out of Adryan as a SS. AM(a) is the best position i've utilised him in.

It's tough one this, the formation, will make you quite easy on the counter, two reasons for this is in CM, you have an CM(A.), so he will look to get forward as much as possible, but shouldn't be as much as a problem as you have the DL on FB(S) so he will be wary to the counter to cover for this player (I think). Then your other CM is RPM(S), he will go looking for space, so I wouldn't be surprised to see him drifting all over the midfield, then you RB will bomb forward as his role and duty will suggest, so I'd imagine that you're most exposed on this flank, because of your DM sitting it helps provide a little cover but not too much, I personally would look to at this area in the matches, are they always countering on this side of the pitch? If they are, I'm not saying this would fix the issue, as I imagine it helps going forward, but you could look at a DLP on Support, rather than RPM as I imagine he would try to hold position a little bit more than a RPM.

For the Trequarista what about trying an AP(A.), he will do a lot of similar things to the Treq from when I've played, but he is more likely to pass sideways than forwards at times to keep the ball, he will help out defensively too, which a Treq would not do, he might chip in with a few goals. The other option could be AM(A.) I think to do what you stated with what you wanted from the roles. A SS would be more hoping to score than assist, but linking that with a F9 could help. In regards to injuries obviously not a lot could help with that.

Lastly looking at your TI's, push higher up, close down more, coupled with a Standard mentality...you could find something to try could be to remove the TI's and set the mentality to Control?

Overall though, your results don't look bad, 2 losses and 2 draws since you've started is by no means poor in the Championship. So you could find making too many changes could make it worse. The things above are the things I'd maybe look at trying now and then.

Your team is split in two. It's not really a wonder that the few staying back (3?) will have a hard time closing down multiple attackers on the counter. May be worth altering closing down settings for the front players individually rather.

Players "not performing" is a nothing statement. HOW/WHY aren't they performing? Are they not finding space? Are they being bypassed with passes? Are they being left alone defensively? etc. There needs to be context.

In particular, what do you expect from the Treq? How will this work with the others (CM/A and 2 strikers) around him?

Just wondering if you're getting done on the counter because your defensive players are failing to win tackles?

In Bellusci, Bamba and Austin your defensive 3 all have the 'Dives into Tackles' PPM.

I've never found this trait to be anything positive normally with my centre halves spending most of the season suspended or them doing unsuccessful challenges when they've been dragged out wide leaving the opposition with a crossing opportunity and unmarked players in the box because my idiot centre back has been skinned when he should have just held up their attack.

I was wondering how could you translate this in fm language:
" I want you guys to take a patient aproach in defensive, come a little deeper with the opposition players, defend in our half , don't rush for a tackle and don't take the risk to be caught upfront by a quick forward, a long ball, a smart pass or by our on mistake in the offside trap.
I want you to atack playing shorter passes, be patient in defensive, don't go for the long ball or the direct pass unless you see the perfect opportunity.
When the ball gets upfront to our am and st I want you to rush the play a little, play fast 1-2. From my strikers I expect to take an opportunity when it arises and take a shoot rather then a lateral pass. I don't want to see backwards passes from my strikers. When you're atacking you can use the width of the pitch, so you can gain space and find each other much better. I think this will help us passing much better since we play an already narrower formation. I still expect most of our play to go through the middle of the pitch because there lays our strenght. From my Wb I expect to support the offense and come back in defence. You guys have to be tireless on the flanks. I want from my central midfielders to help defending the flanks when the boys out there are caught upfront or outnumbered. I expect to atack and defend as a team but also I like my central defenders focus mostly on defending and break opposition atacks; my strikers must focus on scoring. "

Defensive
Fluid/ flexibile
Drop deeper
Pass shorter
Exploit the middle and play wider at the same time? !
???

Thank you verry much for your answers

" I want you guys to take a patient aproach in defensive, come a little deeper with the opposition players, defend in our half , don't rush for a tackle and don't take the risk to be caught upfront by a quick forward, a long ball, a smart pass or by our on mistake in the offside trap.
I want you to atack playing shorter passes, be patient in defensive, don't go for the long ball or the direct pass unless you see the perfect opportunity.
When the ball gets upfront to our am and st I want you to rush the play a little, play fast 1-2. From my strikers I expect to take an opportunity when it arises and take a shoot rather then a lateral pass. I don't want to see backwards passes from my strikers. When you're atacking you can use the width of the pitch, so you can gain space and find each other much better. I think this will help us passing much better since we play an already narrower formation. I still expect most of our play to go through the middle of the pitch because there lays our strenght. From my Wb I expect to support the offense and come back in defence. You guys have to be tireless on the flanks. I want from my central midfielders to help defending the flanks when the boys out there are caught upfront or outnumbered. I expect to atack and defend as a team but also I like my central defenders focus mostly on defending and break opposition atacks; my strikers must focus on scoring. "

Defensive
Fluid/ flexibile
Drop deeper
Pass shorter
???

I have to question why on earth you think Defensive (a very safe mentality) would be a good idea when you're not looking for lateral passes?

Even choosing Defensive (which already is very deep) why then would you drop even deeper? It doesn't make sense.

What's the point of exploiting the middle if your midfielders are fairly defensive to make up for 2 marauding wingbacks/fullbacks? You might as well leave it to default, because with the numbers in the middle, play will already be focused there.

-----

Based on what you wrote, everyone passes short. You're not looking for aggressive balls, but not looking for the safe sideways passes either.

Sounds like a Standard mentality then and maybe Shorter Passing as it'll shorten the default mixed range.

Also sounds like you'd need reserved central midfielders (at least 2) to cover the fullbacks/wingbacks with an Attack duty.

Seriously. Start simple and then add TIs where you see you need it. If the defence is still too direct, make sure they have passing options and possibly add Play Out Of Defence. If play isn't as fast as you'd like, use higher tempo.

Defensive
Fluid/ flexibile
Drop deeper
Pass shorter
???

For the defence it seems like you want to 'Drop Deeper' 'Stay on Feet' and 'Close Down Less'

Maybe use a CD-C and CD-D to sweep up any through balls.

Your description makes me think you're looking to intercept passes more than make tackles so stick an anchor man in front of them.

Anticipation and Positioning will be your key stats, aggressive defenders who have the preferred move 'Dives into Tackles' will cause you some headaches as they'll charge out of position to try make the tackle

If you're still playing as Leeds this sort of defensive set-up will be tough to implement - their defenders are all tough tackling defenders who love to get stuck in.

Shorter passing was one of the most used TI's in game so probably is a good option.
I was reading a post today somewhere and it basically said the same : keep it simple stupid! So this is what I'm going to do!:)

Shorter passing was one of the most used TI's in game so probably is a good option.
I was reading a post today somewhere and it basically said the same : keep it simple stupid! So this is what I'm going to do!:)
Probably on the SI forum?

There's no reason why you cannot complicate it, ie add more TIs. For you to do that, you need to understand your tactic first. To understand your tactic, you really do need to see it in action.

What does the rest of the tactic look like now? Mentality?

Antenucci - out for another 3 months
Sharp- out for 3 months

I have only Doukara, Montenegro and Cani to play upfront. Only Doukara is decent.
When tactics started to work I now need to change things again. Maybe a strikerless formation, with Doukara on the left and Sloth on the right?

Could this work? I need to make a strategy based only on Doukara as striker ( and he is more of a defensive forward who let's say can play as an advanced forward). In here, I included Bamba as a third centre back, cover-stopper-cover duty.View attachment 220718View attachment 220717View attachment 220716

End we already have the slump in form. But I think it may come another bigger slump if I don't find a strategy based on the only striker that's fit. Or I can play Adryan up front AF and Sloth as T(A).

You had an okay tactic, so why do you have to change it now again? Just play someone else in the striker positions?

I'm gonna try with Morison, Montenegro and Cani in this order. Thanks.

SO:

A. How I want Leeds United to play?
1. Pressing in the opponent half
2.Try and win the ball in the opponent half or at halfline
3. Defenders and midfielders can play at a lower tempo and short passing, I accept backwards and lateral passes from midfield and defence but for my strikers I want them to play fast , do not hold on the ball, play 1~2, rather take a shoot than pass if the situation allows. I don't want my strikers to wait with the ball at their feet until an opponent takes the ball from them.
4. Score one goal more than the opposition mentality but...
5. Do not concede more than 5 goals against any opposition

4 and 5 are opptional.
1. It can be done in this formation, but it requires a lot of tweeking between games, as you face different formation, different players and different styles every game. I would not reccomend it if you do not know, or do not want to make changes every single game.
2. Push higher up and close down less... Make your defence more tighter, by puting one or both your FB-s to sit narrower. For this, you need at least one defender that can defend high balls (tall, good in air).
This will give you compact defensive shape, but it will leave you exposed on side. Against good wingers you will need to change a little your basic setup, but not to much so you would not lose your primary idea of how do you want to play and trough who you want to play.
3. If you do not want back passes, you need to eliminate completly any playmaker roles. If you want your players to be more agressive, you can still do this by applying indvidual shouts, and still play shorter passing, slower game.
4. How do you expect to score goals? Trough middle, or trough crosses from your FBs? OR both?
5. You need to offset opposition game plan. I will expain this latter.

B) What I want from my players? ( at a first glance)
1. GK
- defend/ be safe at back
- in one at one situations I want him to come forward and close down the opposition player, do not wait for him to shoot
maybe a SK on defend duty?
If you follow my advice with high D-line, then SK-def would be better solution.

2. DR
-defend
- offer close support to midfielders
- go forward, offer width down the right flank ( I want the right flank to be more offensive than the left one)
- be one of the star players in the team and an important presence on the right side of the pitch
If you want him to bi your star player, this means you will have to create space for him in attack and cover him in defence. Your last setup (4-4-2 diamond one) is not doing any of these two. DLP on support duty is not providing enough cover for him, and he also tends to come to close and bring extra defender on side. DLP is holding role, but it is not as agressive as you need him to be in order to give cover to Your FB. CM-d or ewen BWM (but I would aviod this role if you are going to play high line ) would give him much more cover, and it will give him enough support without cloghing sideline.
Regarding rolle, if you want him to be your star player, then you have to give him his freedom, so CWB-att is best role wor him. Also, if you want him involved in attack, you need to short field for him, hence, one more reason for high d-line.
3. DL
- defend
- offer deep support to midfielders whitout taking risks in defence
FB is good enogh. You do not need here WB rolle. FB rolle gives you also option (if you see that you need it) of sitting narrower in defence and giving you solid back 3 when your RB fails to come back on time. In attack, he will be visible enogh to give you wide support from left, but will play without risk (less dribling, fewer risky passes).

4. DC
- both on CD defend duty , I think a stopper/cover will work but I want the default offside trap to work better
- defend, be safe at the back
- tackle hard but not in our own box
- not intersted for them to score otherwise then set pieces, not interested to support the more advanced players but I'm very interested from them to help keeping a clean sheet
If you clogh centre of midfield, which will happend if you follow my advice, you will certnaly have occasional runs on side and much more crosses to deal with. High line will mean you will force your defenders to close down earlier, and if you are forcing opponent to play trough wings, you will then have to deal mostly with crosses, so risk of tackling hard in box is minimalized. For other things, pass it shorter is only shouth you will ever need. You may use close down less/ more on occasion, depending on situations and specific games, but that is it.

5. DM
- defend
- helps the CD ( drops back and support defenders)
- close down opposition before getting in our own box
- tackle hard but not in the penalty area
This rolle could be DM-D or A-D, or HB-D, depending on your opponent. DM-D is little bit more involved in attack but still sitting rolle. You can use it when opponent plays narrow formation without wingers or AMC. This will give you more creative rolle and more freedom with ball, but it still give you positional coverage.
The other two rolles are when opponent attack trough AMC (A-D), or when opponent attack trough wings (HB-D), as you want to counter opponent gamplan and provide adequate cover where it is needed.

6. CM (Cook)
- offer dynamic support in the midfield
- helps the defence
- support the more advanced players
- be one of my star players, score a few goals per season, be a leader in midfield, build the team around him
As I said in first part, you do not have adequate support for yor RB star player in defence, so you should consider moving Cook (your other star player) on the other side of midfield. Here you should have little more defensive oriented player. If you still want him to be more agressive with ball, then more risky passes, are better option then giving player on this possition more creative rolle. So create player rolle that you want with shouts rather then with rolle selection. For example, if you use CM-d, he will still sit deep and provide you option of backpass and safe pass, but if you want him to be more DLP like player, you can give him shout of more risky passes, more direct passes, or even be more creative shout (I am not shore for this last shout if it is possible).

7. CM ( Mowatt)
- drop back and support the defenders when the team is under pressure
- offer advanced support in midfield
- run forward and support the more advanced players in the offensive phase

8. AM Adryan
- get forward and support the strikers - offer advanced support in the midfield
- maybe score afew goals by himself
With these roles you have to decide which one should be link player, and which one should be player that will be more involved in goal scoring. Depending on this, you should choose rolle for them. CM(supp or att duty)-T or RPM-T combination is not that good, as they operate in same space, and if you add here your supporting striker, there is too much players here that are cloghing middle and forcing your players to slow down plays and even backpass. So If your aim is to give Cook that playmaker rolle, give him more freedom of movement, give him more creative freedom, give him even more aggresive passing shout, or even more driblling shouth, but leave him on support duty, as he will look to occupy space between lines. Your right striker will also occesanly drop between lines, sometimes will help out your RB and support him, so you can easily give Adryan more agressive rolle in your team and look to go directly to goal, as there will be space for him. Treq rolle will not give you this. AP-a migth, but you will have much more backpassing and looking for him, so I would avoid this rolle. AM-A is your best bet, and if you notice that he is not as active as You would like, then give him shouts like -move into chanells, driblle more, roam from position etc...

Vice versa, if you expect from Cook to be goal treath and from Adryan to be main facilitator, you reverse these mentalities and reverse shouts that you are giving them.

9. ST Sharp
- score goals

10. ST Antenucci
- helps Sharp scores goals
-score goals

From the squad depth I think I can play only a 442 diamond narrow and a 4132/4312 narrow.
I think I'll choose the 442 diamond narrow.

Now I have to setup a tactic.
Regarding striker rolles, it depends... I havent played english league, so I cant say that I know what type of defences you are facing, are they sitting deep, or do they pushing forward, are they fast or strong, etc...

From my expiriance in Italian Seria A, where almost every opponet had defences sitting deep, I found that best combination is two DLF-a/s, or TM-A/DLF-s rolles. I found that Advance forward is not usable in Seria A, as well as Poacher. I used these rolles to draw opponent defences and create space. f9 could work too, but I did not liked that this rolle is making player too selfish. Treq is also one of solutions if you have rigth player for this rolle.

In any case, avoid team shout "work ball into box" as it will slow your attack too much, and it will leave you offensively thin. If you face difficulties to break opponent or to retain possesion, play wider is good one also. If you use high line and close down less, takle harder and offside traps are two good ones. But none of these are as important as your team shape and your defensive form, or attacking gameplan. These ones are things that you should look to preserve at any cost. Also, mentality, for me personaly, is just situational thing. If I need to break oppoent, I will try and change mentality, but I will keep almost everything else same. This does not mean that you will change to attack if you need a goal, it all depend on situation. You may have more luck scoring with counter mentality...

Point of this formation is two way attack, fast attacks trough middle, or bombing fullbacks. If you slowdown your attacking too much, you will not have option of attacking trough middle, and lack of wingers will not give you enough width in attack... This is why you avoid backpassing and playmaker roles, as they tend to be main pass target of all other players. So idea is to shorten field that you have to attack, drow opponent as much as possible, make compact defensive shape, deny space in middle, force opponet to live free space in middle and try to force quick counters trough middle, or if this does not go, slow down play, play more patient and create opportunity for your RB to come on side and create something from there.

And, BTW, this is just one oppinion based on expiriance of playing Cremonese in Italia for 5 seasons, and while most of this might be true there, it does not mean it is true in Championship or PL. You may want to adopt some changes to suit your player better, but most of basic advices are correct.

View attachment 220651Doukara out for 4 weeks!
How it is that only strikers get injured?!!!
I gave them day a off before and after games, I keep training overload to medium.

So:
Antenucci - 3 months at the start of the season and after 10 games another 3 months
Sharp- 3 months
Doukara - 1 month
All 3 at the same time!