Llorente, Herrera, San Joe(2)

View attachment 253623

Athletic Bilbao 1 - 0 Steaua

Aranburu

Spanish Cup

Athletic Bilbao 2 - 0 Castellon
Bilbao win 3 - 0 on aggregate

Perez, Garcia Martin

Fantastic month!!! Best Barcelona easily! Gives me massive hope we can grab 2nd place (Real Madrid are unstoppable at the moment). Barcelona had won every game this season before they came to the San Mames, but they couldn't cope with our counter attacking play. Manchester United got a spanking from us as well but the Champions League is wide open with one game left as your'll see in the table below. The Derby against Sociedad was the easiest one we've had against them, they're sitting in the bottom half this season.

van Gaal was sacked by Arsenal and guess who was offered the job nobody would want these days!!
Would be a nice challenge to try and turn it around for them but I'm loving Bilbao too much :) plus I'm a Chelsea fan so its kinda funny watching them struggle!!

Player of the Month

Mikel San Jose

images

Rock at the back and deadly from corners

Tables

View attachment 253633View attachment 253634

So as you can see the Champions League group is all to play for, we welcome CSKA Moscow to the San Mames and have to win (assuming that Manchester United beat the whipping boys).

Hope you enjoyed the update

Please Comment with constructive criticism or telling me what you like

Good start - still in touch with the title but its hard to keep it going for the first few years. Fingers crossed though!

Good start - still in touch with the title but its hard to keep it going for the first few years. Fingers crossed though!
Yeah, always seem to stay with them for the first few months then Madrid and Barca pull off!! But I'm hoping I can pinch 2nd maybe. We'll see

December

Athletic-Bilbao-008.jpg

• [*=left]Messi reclaims Golden Ball and World Player of the Year
    [*=left]Llorente named on the bench for Team of the Year
    [*=left]Crunch time in the Champions League, did Bilbao do enough?
    [*=left]Youth facilities upgraded

La Liga

Espanyol 0 - 2 Athletic Bilbao

Llorente, Benat

Valencia 0 - 2 Athletic Bilbao

Llorente, Muniain

View attachment 253870

Athletic Bilbao 2 - 0 Real Betis

San Jose(2)

Athletic Bilbao 1 - 0 Sporting

San Jose

Athletic Bilbao 3 - 1 Celta

Llorente(2), Garcia Martin

Champions League

Athletic Bilbao 2 - 0 CSKA Moscow

Garcia Martin(2)

View attachment 253869

Perfect month. Won all our games convincingly, including the all important CSKA game which saw us win the group too but our reward? AC Milan in the next round :(. The only other game which could have caused us problems was the Valencia match but they were below par and the two golden boys both scored to grab the 2 points. Garcia Martin has been superb this month and forced me to start him in a few games and change my formation to a 4-2-4 dropping Benat and moving Herrera to CM so Garcia Martin could start up top with Llorente and as you saw it was his 2 goals against CSKA which won the match. We're sitting top of the league but Madrid have 1 game in hand and Barca 2 games because of their involvement in the CWC. This is easily our best year with Etxaniz quickly becoming one of the best keepers in the league, he only conceded 1 goal all month. Garcia Martin, Patricio Perez and Alex Aranburu are becoming good players as well. The future looks bright at Bilbao :)

View attachment 253873

Player of the Month

Felipe Garcia Martin

View attachment 253874

Two goals against CSKA Moscow secured Champions League qualification

Tables

View attachment 253875View attachment 253876

Hope everyone enjiyed the update let me know what you think :)

Last edited:
GOOD START, MUNIAIN will be better than neymar in my oppinion, I remeber signing him in FM08

January

images

• [*=left]Bilbao sign two players in transfer window, a young keeper and a big name centre midfielder
    [*=left]How did Bilbao do in the Spanish Cup this month?
    [*=left]Real Madrid after Llorente

La Liga

Atletico Madrid 0 - 0 Athletic Bilbao

Mallorca 0 - 1 Athletic Bilbao

Llorente

View attachment 254003

Spanish Cup

Athletic Bilbap 3 - 0 Rayo

Garcia Martin, Muniain, Fuego OG

Rayo 0 - 0 Athletic Bilbao
Bilbao win 3 - 0 on aggregate

Athletic Bilbao 5 - 2 Real Madrid

Aranburu, Garcia Martin(2), Muniain, Llorente

View attachment 254004

Real Madrid 3 - 1 Real Madrid
Bilbao win 6 - 5 on aggregate

Llorente

View attachment 254005

Sporting 3 - 2 Athletic Bilbao

Muniain, Llorente

So a good month in the Spanish Cup knocking out Real Madrid just!! A convincing first leg win was followed up by a dodgy performance away from the San Mames. The good news was Sporting knocked out Barca but they then turned us over 3-2!! Hopefully we can turn it over back home. A draw against Atletico Madrid isn't good enough to be honest, they're struggling in the league and Chelsea signed Falcao as well. We snatched a win against Mallorca late on with Garcia Martin running down the right and crossing for Llorente to smash home.

Talking about Llorente, Real Madrid were sniffing around him but I quickly told them were to go.

View attachment 254008

Transfers In

Ion Salcedo £1M

View attachment 254006

Young keeper signed for £1M, will feature for my Under 19s then become backup for Etxaniz next season as Aranzubia is getting on a bit

Mikel Arteta £7.5M

View attachment 254007

I took advantage of Arsenal performing so badly this season and signed him for £7.5M, I feel like we needed that extra touch of quality in the middle of the park and Arteta can bring that.

Transfers Out

Only one player left and that was Ander Itturaspe, he was never in my first team plans anyway and with Arteta signed he was never going to play for us again basically.

Player of the Month

Fernando Llorente

images

Big man scoring 4 goals this month and assisting a few too

Table

View attachment 254009

So guys let me know what you think about signing Arteta. Too old? Not going to add a lot?

I had £37M to spend so that wasn't an issue.

Thanks for reading

February

images

• [*=left]Real Sociedad do Bilbao 2 massive favours
    [*=left]First leg against AC Milan a disaster
    [*=left]Sporting put up a good fight in the 2nd leg of the Spanish Cup
    [*=left]Susaeta, Arteta and Garcia Martin all get injured

La Liga

Villarreal 1 - 3 Athletic Bilbao

Llorente, Herrera, Muniain

View attachment 254078

Athletic Bilbao 2 - 1 Espanyol

Llorente, Muniain

Rayo 0 - 5 Athletic Bilbao

Llorente(3), Muniain, Javi Marinez

View attachment 254085

Athletic Bilbao 2 - 0 Malaga

Llorente, Muniain

Sevilla 1 - 1 Athletic Bilbao

Escude OG

Spanish Cup

Athletic Bilbao 2 - 0 Sporting

Susaeta, Garcia Martin

View attachment 254099

Champions League

AC Milan 3 - 0 Athletic Bilbao

So a good month in the league. We had convincing wins over Villarreal, Malaga and Rayo. Sevilla held us to a draw, but they're looking very strong this year and I'm not too disappointed in that. Real Sociedad did us two massive favours this month by thumping Barcelona 5-2 and holding Real Madrid to a 1-1 draw

We also turned over our 3-2 loss against Sporting with a 2-0 win back at the San Mames, we now have Granada in the final :).

But our Champions League campaign looks over already, Milan completely outplayed us and it could have been much worse.

Player of the Month

Iker Muniain

images

Goals and assists this month, he's turning into a real star

Table

View attachment 254098

So we really are challenging this season and pulling clear of Barcelona but Real Madrid are looking so strong, hopefully we can get a result against them at the San Mames

Hope you're all enjoying, Please Comment :)

Looking good in the league. 2nd would be a good finish! Lets hope Madrid slip up though and you can steal the league.

March

images

• [*=left]Madrid slip up a remarkable THREE times to hand Bilbao the lead in the title race
    [*=left]Barcelona hit some form and catch Madrid up to make it a three horse race!!
    [*=left]Youth intake this month and I get myself a quality centre half
    [*=left]Heartbreak in the Champions League after a remarkable game at the San Mames

La Liga

Athletic Bilbao 3 - 1 Levante

Aranburu, Llorente(2)

Athletic Bilbao 2 - 0 Las Palmas

Llorente, Benat

Sporting 0 - 2 Athletic Bilbao

Llorente, Muniain

Athletic Bilbao 5 - 2 Granada

Muniain, Susaeta, Llorente, San Jose, Garcia Martin

View attachment 254175

Osasuna 1 - 1 Athletic Bilbao

Garcia Martin

View attachment 254176View attachment 254177

Athletic Bilbao 3 - 0 Racing

Muniain(3)

View attachment 254178

Champions League

Athletic Bilbao 4 - 1 AC Milan

Llorente(2), Garcia Martin, Aurtenetxe

View attachment 254179

So heartbreak in the Champions league were we came within one goal of a remarkable comeback but fell just short. In the league we enjoyed a brilliant month, made even better by all of Madrid's slip up!!!

So we had our youth intake and I was praying for a decent centre back and guess what we found....

He already has pretty good stats for a 16 year old defender already. Can't wait to see how he turns out :)

Player of the Month

Iker Muniain

images

Another awesome month from the left winger bagging 5 goals

So lets see where we are in the table this month after Madrids slip ups!!

Table

View attachment 254184

4 points clear of both the big guns!!! We have to play them both next month and I'm hoping we can get a win or draw off them each!!

Let me know if you think we can get the title this year, and what you think of our new youngster :)

Well in mate, not long to go, keep up the good form and you will win the title!

Gr8 story mate.. Mikel Arteta signing provides the much needed creativity to the midfield and gives u 'roun 2 yrs time to find a quality replacement wen he loses his attributes. N hope u pip the big 2 to the title...

Gr8 story mate.. Mikel Arteta signing provides the much needed creativity to the midfield and gives u 'roun 2 yrs time to find a quality replacement wen he loses his attributes. N hope u pip the big 2 to the title...
Cheers mate, he's pretty much played second fiddle to Herrera anyway but has added a bit of much needed depth to the squad. I'm about halfway through the next month so far, should be another update in a couple of hours :)

April

• Tough month in the league with games against Barcelona, Real Sociedad, Real Madrid, Valencia and Real Betis
  • Spanish Cup Final against Granada...
  • Jose Luis Garai makes his debut
  • Jonathan and Arteta finally score their first goals for the club

La Liga

Barcelona 2 - 2 Athletic Bilbao

Javi Martinez, Garcia Martin

View attachment 254403

A fantastic comeback from the jaws of defeat, Javi Martinez scored an absolute screamer. Garcia Martin was our hero AGAIN for the millionth time this season. Muniain got injured and will spend the rest of the month on the bench missing some key games, Perez will have to step up and prove his £13M price tag. Still points dropped though....

Real Sociedad 0 - 1 Athletic Bilbao

Susaeta

View attachment 254404

A massive win in the Vasco derby, Susaeta grabbed the only goal in the game and Sociedad never really threatened Etxaniz's goal. Now onto the Madrid game.....

Athletic Bilbao 3 - 3 Real Madrid

Garcia Martin, Perez, Herrera

View attachment 254405

Such a frustrating result!!! We were 3-1 up at one point and really should have won!! Again points dropped :/

Athletic Bilbao 1 - 1 Valencia

San Jose

View attachment 254407

A lucky draw against Valencia, we won a free kick late on and San Jose lost his marker to sneak in at the back post and grab a draw for us. Luckily Sevilla held Madrid to a draw but Barcelona beat Las Palmas...

Real Betis 1 - 3 Athletic Bilbao

Arribas OG, Perez, Susaeta

View attachment 254408

A convincing win in the end, I was happy with the way we played and a good end to the month.

Spanish Cup Final

Athletic Bilbao 5 - 0 Granada

Jonathan, Garcia Martin, Ekiza, Arteta

View attachment 254409View attachment 254410

Smashed them!! I started with an attacking 4-2-4 formation giving Jonathan a chance to shine with Garcia Martin (Llorente was suspended). He didn't let me down bagging his first club goal, as did Arteta. But Garcia Martin shone again with 2 goals and an assist.

A dodgy month in the league then but a massive Cup Final win. Also breaking the record for number of Spanish Cup wins :). The draw against Real Madrid was so stupid I was so annoyed. We deserved more from the Valencia match too but just couldn't put our chances away.

Lets take a look at the league table then shall we....

Top still!! Just, on our head to head record against Barcelona thanks to our 2-0 win earlier this season. Real Madrid our just behind though and still well in the mix, plus Barcelona are still in the Champions League so hopefully that will distract them. We've got Atletico Madrid, Celta and Mallorca left to play. I can only see Atletico Madrid causing us a problem really.

Player of the Month

Felipe Garcia Martin

View attachment 254414

Could only go to one man this month, he's a machine and forced his way into the first team this year making me change our formation just so he could start. 18 goals in 17 starts this year speaks for itself.

So we have 3 games left and so close to winning La Liga in just my third year!! Granted Barcelona and Real Madrid haven't been their normal dominant selves but still its a great achievement.

Let me know what you think of this months update. Am I overrating Garcia Martin? Can we win the league?

May

images

(Three horse race for the title)

• [*=left]
    Atletico, Celta and Mallorca all that stands in the way of La Liga title​
    [*=left]Final league game disrupted by Under 21's internationals
    [*=left]
    Barcelona win Champions League​
    [*=left]
    End of season awards dominated by Barcelona and Athletic Bilbao

La Liga

Athletic Bilbao 1 - 0 Atletico Madrid

Llorente

View attachment 254478

So we managed to beat Atletico just about thanks to Llorente but how did Barcelona and Real Madrid get on..

View attachment 254479

YES!!! They both slip up so now we could draw one of our last 2 games and still win the league

Celta 0 - 1 Athletic Bilbao

Susaeta

View attachment 254480

Not as comfortable as I would have liked but 3 points none the less, both Barca and Madrid won their games. So it all went down to the last game of the season, but what I didn't realise was I would be missing a load of players because of Under 21's action!!!

View attachment 254483

Athletic Bilbao 1 - 0 Mallorca

Joel OG

View attachment 254481

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WE WON THE LEAGUE. Thanks to an own goal we win La Liga 2 points clear of Barcelona.

Final League Table

View attachment 254482

I only got 6 more points than I did in my first season so it goes to show you that Real Madrid and Barcelona haven't been at their best but never mind who cares we are the CHAMPIONS!!

Plenty of managers retired at the end of this season, Lippi, Fergie, 'Arry Rednapp. I was linked with all of the jobs, but obviously didn't go anywhere :)

Oh and I also signed a new youngster for a tiny fee of £825K, here he is

View attachment 254485

End Of Season Player Awards

La Liga Top Goalscorer

1. Fernando Llorente
2. David Villa
3. Gonzalo Higuain

View attachment 254489

La Liga Player of the Year

1. Lionel Messi
2. Alexis Sanchez
3. Iker Muniain

View attachment 254490

Top Spanish Goalscorer

1. Fernando Llorente
2. David Villa
3. Roberto Soldado

View attachment 254491

Goalkeeper of the Year

1. Victore Valdes
2. Iker Casillas
3. Jose Maria Etxaniz

(This award sucks its done on goals conceded not clean sheets otherwise Etxaniz would have won)

View attachment 254492

Manager of the Year

1. Sam Birch
2. Josep Guardiola
3. Marcello Lippi

View attachment 254493

Spanish Player of the Season

1. David Villa
2. Fernando Llorente
3. Andres Iniesta

View attachment 254494

Young Player of the Year

1. Iker Muniain
2. Raphael Varvane
3. Felipe Garcia Martin

View attachment 254495

Team Awards

Team of the Season

View attachment 254496

Most Improved Clubs

1. Levante
2. Real Sporting
3. Athletic Bilbao

View attachment 254497

Managers Player Awards

Player Of The Season

Iker Muniain

View attachment 254498

Young Player of the Season

Jose Maria Etxaniz

View attachment 254499

Breakthrough Player of the season

Felipe Garcia Martin

View attachment 254500

Thats all folks!!! So we done it, we cracked the league. Don't think its over though, next step Europe!!!!

Please let me know what you think of us winning the league, the player awards and everything else :)

Pre-Season News and Transfers

images

• [*=left]Barcelona after no fewer than 3 Bilbao youngsters
    [*=left]Bilbao Fans Player of the Season is...... Fernando Llorente
    [*=left]Spain knocked out of World Cup Group Stages with NO wins
    [*=left]Llorente named Top European striker

Hey there guys thought I'd do things a bit differently this year and bring you an update purely on transfers and pre season news.

We'll kick things off with the transfers!! Barcelona put bids in for 3 of our youngsters:

Garcia Martin

View attachment 254607

Which I obviously rejected, I also got him to sign a new contract with a £1,000,000,000 get out clause ;)

Garai

View attachment 254608

Again rejected, the offers were insulting to be honest.

Ruiz

View attachment 254610

No chance they were getting this chap that cheap.

Transfers Ins and Outs

Plenty of outs but only 2 ins, here's a screen shot anyway :)

View attachment 254611

So most of the outs were youth players who didn't make the cut basically, but also we have Aranzubia leaving. He was moaning about lack of game time so I let him go. Also Oscar De Marcos was moaning at the end of last season, he changed his mind but I decided he just wasn't good enough anymore. He left on loan with the view of a permanent deal.

The In's were a bit more exciting, take a look at this young fella

View attachment 254618

Only 15 too!! Got him dirt cheap considering his potential. Also the other in was the centre back in the other update.

News

Spain crash out of World Cup in group stage!!

View attachment 254622

The Spain coach was sacked and Pep got the job, I was then linked with the Barca job but Claudio Ranieri got the job. Diego Simone then left Sevilla for Inter.

Argentina won the World Cup, beating France in the final.

Bilbao

So back to the Spanish Champions aye ;)

Here are our start of season expectations

View attachment 254636

A nice big fat budget but no real stand out talent to spend it on.

Best 11 from last season

View attachment 254654

Club Ranking

View attachment 254662

Our club ranking hasn't changed since last year even though we won La Liga :s

Title Odds

View attachment 254665

Better than last year at least but out media prediction is still 3rd

Rich List

View attachment 254667

Big improvement on last year, we're working our way up that table nicely

Top Leagues

View attachment 254668

La Liga dropped one place as Serie A jumped 2 places, something I've not seen before

Club Finances

View attachment 254693

I realised I've never posted this before, but as you can see Bilbao are a very rich club, no problems in that department at all :)

That's all for now, next update will be August's results in the league and Spanish Super Cup against Granada (as we won the league and Cup we play runners up in the cup)

​Please Comment :)

Back