A Battle With Bilbao

• Thread starter Thread starter Sam91
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 137
  • Views Views 26K
Haven't had the chance to congratulate you on last season mate! some achievement with a team like Bilbao only 3 seasons in, hope you keep it going this season, those youngsters are looking good and Llorente is a beast!

August

images

• [*=left]Good pre season results for Bilbao
    [*=left]Spanish Super Cup first leg against Granada frustrating
    [*=left]New youngster Francisco Jesus Ros injured for 4 months

Pre Season Matches

Charlton 0 - 4 Athletic Bilbao

Garcia Martin(2), Santano, Susaeta

Was actually 0-0 at half time but I sent on Garcia Martin and he was just too hot to handle for Charlton

Almeria 1 - 3 Athletic Bilbao

Jonathan, Benat, Rodriguez OG

Newly promoted Almeria were next up, and put up a decent fight against a weak Bilbao side

Birmingham 2 - 1 Athletic Bilbao

Santano

Terrible match, we were awful and had 23 shots and 12 on target but just couldn't outscore a Birmingham side who had just 3 shots on target

Athletic Bilbao 7 - 0 Aurrera ''B''

Jonathan(3), Susaeta, Muniain, Aranburu, Santano

An expected result against weak opposition, Jonathan and Santano are looking like really good prospects

Athletic Bilbao 2 - 0 Atletico ''B

Benat, Victor Monterio

I organised this match the same day as International's and had to play an injured Jon Aurtenetxe in goal, he actually got a 6.9 rating :P

So pre season went well, only the Birmingham game caused problems but like I said I don't get how they scored 2 from 3 shots on target and we got 1 goal from like 20 odd shots in total, its stupid. Now onto the Spanish Super Cup 1st leg

Spanish Super Cup 1st leg

Athletic Bilbao 3 - 2 Granada

Muniain(2), San Jose

View attachment 254732

HOW FREAKING ANNOYING!!! We were 3-0 up and nearly lost the whole game!! We really need to learn how to protect a lead!!

Player To Watch This Season

Jonathan

View attachment 254733

This young lad has bags of talent!! Lets hope he can break into the first team like Garcia Martin has :)

Thats all guys, let me know what you think of our pre season and our title hopes! Can we retain La Liga?

Last edited:
Well done mate on winning the league - you are putting your faith in the young players which is key. In my save Herrera and Izurza went straight into the 1st team at 15 and Perez Villarroya, De la Torre, Cidoncha and Torres at 16 and David was 17 I think. Now they are all 27 plus (apart from Torres) and leaving the nest. Wanna cry lol

Anywho great going!!!!

(and if you didnt see my late post in my story last night, take a look. Unbelievable occurrence)

Well done mate on winning the league - you are putting your faith in the young players which is key. In my save Herrera and Izurza went straight into the 1st team at 15 and Perez Villarroya, De la Torre, Cidoncha and Torres at 16 and David was 17 I think. Now they are all 27 plus (apart from Torres) and leaving the nest. Wanna cry lol

Anywho great going!!!!

(and if you didnt see my late post in my story last night, take a look. Unbelievable occurrence)

Cheers mate, yeah Alex Aranburu will be replaceing Susaeta this year I think he's ready.

Yeah I saw that!!! Absolutely crazy, I can't think of why they have that other than someone from Sky must be reading you're story!

September

images

• Muniain gets first Spain Goal
  • Barcelona win first El Clasico but also lose to Levante!!
  • Bilbao's first La Liga game against Madrid away!
  • Chmapions League draw has been kind
First El Clasico

View attachment 254830

So I forgot to include the Champions League draw in my last update here it is, we were actually seeded 2nd which was a nice surprise

Bayern Munich
Athletic Bilbao
FC Kobenhavn
Lech

La Liga

Real Madrid 3 - 2 Athletic Bilbao

Muniain, Ronaldo OG

View attachment 254799

An annoying lose once again but never mind these things happen, on the brighter side Muniain did score this absolute screamer

[video=youtube;cJPXvWmyySc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJPXvWmyySc[/video]

Athletic Bilbao 5 - 2 Levante

Llorente(3), Susaeta, Garcia Martin

View attachment 254801

A very good result, considering they beat Barcelona. Llorente is looking very good once again this season

Almeria 1 - 4 Athletic Bilbao

Garcia Martin (2), San Jose, Ekiza

Another solid performance from the lads, looking clinical in front of goal

Athletic Bilbao 2 - 0 Sporting

Garcia Martin, Muniain

A solid performance, even if it did take us until the second half to breakthrough

Champions League

Athletic Bilbao 6 - 0 FC Kovenhavn

Llorente (3Pens), Garcia Martin, Muniain, Javi Martinez

View attachment 254835

A remarkable 3 penalties we were given and Llorente put them all away easily :), my other 3 stars bagged a goal each too

So overall a brilliant month, bar the Madrid loss. Loads of goals being scored by my front 2 of Llorente and Garcia Martin. Muniain is looking immense this year as well which is obviously a big plus for us

Player of the Month

Fernando Llorente

images

Close between him and Garcia Martin, but 2 hat-tricks is enough to win the award

Tables

View attachment 254833View attachment 254834

Hope people are still following and enjoying, please let me know what you think of the story :)

Finally caught up. Well done on winning the league! Great way of doing it with it being so close. Enjoying it as always and its looking good at the start of this season. Keep it up.

October

images

• [*=left]Barcelona away in the league ends in disappointment
    [*=left]Seem good in the league against weaker opposition but need to start beating the big teams if we want to retain the title
    [*=left]Spanish Cup defense kicks off with unconvincing win
    [*=left]Youngster Jonathan dubbed the next Fernando Torres!!

La Liga

Racing 2 - 3 Athletic Bilbao

Perez, Llorente, Garai

View attachment 254934

So annoying, we were 2-0 up after seven minutes and so nearly threw it away. But youngster Garai saved us late on

Barcelona 1 - 0 Athletic Bilbao

We deserved a draw really but wasted our chances

Athletic Bilbao 5 - 3 Valladolid

Llorente(2), Muniain, Aranburu, Garcia Martin

View attachment 254935

A mad game!! The SS says it all we could have had more, below is a video of Garcia Martin, just wanted to show you all how quick and good his finishing is. He's so lethal

[video=youtube;jn4SklfnQAc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jn4SklfnQAc&feature=channel&list=UL[/video]

Athletic Bilbao 2 - 0 Real Sociedad

Llorente, Muniain

So we won the first Vasco derby, and quite comfortable as well. Real Sociedad aren't doing very well this year as you will see by the table later on

Champions League

Bayern Munich 3 - 2 Athletic Bilbao

Garcia Martin(2)

Athletic Bilbao 1 - 0 Lech

Garcia Martin

Spanish Cup 1st Leg

Alcoyano 0 - 2 Athletic Bilbao

Llorente, De Navas OG

Player Of The Month

Felipe Garcia Martin

View attachment 254936

This kid is immense and can't stop scoring, nearly grabbed us a draw against Bayern too

Tables

View attachment 254937View attachment 254938

So overall a decent month really. Looking strong in the league and will probably grab second in the Champions League. I'll be honest I don't think we will win the league again this year. But our youth prospects are looking great for the future, Alex Aranburu has replaced Susaeta on the right now and is playing well.

Please comment and let me know if there is any improvements I can make to the story :)

Just wanna know how many people are actually following this lads? If theres not that many then I dunno if theres much point in continuing it? I'm loving the save myself and enjoy writing it up but doesn't seem like many of you are reading and commenting too much :/?

I am reading, you're doing really good :)

Just not commenting, because... well, i don't know what to add XD

I've just had a look down the stories list and this is my favourite one.

I might have a go in the future, good luck with this it's a great read

I am not commenting cos Bilbao is rubbish and I would never go them! lol. Youre doing well mate - keep it up.

I'm still following mate. This story with Klippybo's story has made me start thinking I want to start a Bilbao game but it will never come out as good. Will just be waiting for the next FM game to start one.

Okay cheers guys just didn't wanna be writing this for like 2 people to be reading it :)

Next update in a bit

November

images
  • Barcelona struggling massively
  • Malaga and Real Madrid looking favourites
  • Benitez sacked by Man City after only joining in the summer, Ancelotti takes over
  • Bilbao qualify from Champions League group with a game to spare
  • Felipe Garcia Martin just can't stop scoring!!
La Liga

Espanyol 1 - 2 Athletic Bilbao

Muniain, Llorente

Athletic Bilbao 3 - 1 Sevilla

Herrera, Garcia Martin(2)

View attachment 255104

Atletico Madrid 0 - 0 Athletic Bilbao

Athletic Bilbao 0 - 0 Valencia

Spanish Cup

Athletic Bilbao 3 - 1 Alcoyano

Aranburu, Andres OG, Garcia Martin

Champions League

Lech 1 - 5 Athletic Bilbao

Llorente, Muniain(2), Amorebieta(2)

FC Kobenhaven 0 - 2 Athletic Bilbao

Garcia Marin, Llorente(PEN)

Monthly Review

Poor month in the league, we're drawing too many games and Malaga and Real Madrid are pulling away from us. Garcia Martin is still on red hot form and this kid is the real deal. I thought at first he might just be lucky but he's now my number one striker. Llorente is second choice with Jonathan third choice. I'm still playing my 4-2-4 so Llorente will be starting... for now. The Sevilla result was very pleasing though as we have struggled against them in the past.

Looking good in the Champions League, our remaining match is against Bayern for top spot. I would like to win that and hopefully finish top so we can avoid the bug guns, but we'll see what happens.

Player of the Month

Cesar Azpilicueta

images

View attachment 255113

It can't keep going to Garcia Martin, plus Cesar has been very good at right back and grabbed some important assists this month

Tables

View attachment 255112View attachment 255114

December

images

• [*=left]Benitez takes charge of Atletico Madrid
    [*=left]Real Madrid chasing Muniain
    [*=left]Ricardo Carvalho takes charge of Bolton!!
    [*=left]Jonathan finally scores this season

La Liga

Athletic Bilbao 3 - 1 Real Betis

San Jose, Garcia Martin(2)

View attachment 255233

Malaga 1- 1 Athletic Bilbao

Muniain

View attachment 255234

Athletic Bilbao 3 - 1 Granada

Perez, Susaeta, Llorente

Mallorca 1 - 3 Athletic Bilbao

Llorente, Muniain, Herrera

Athletic Bilbao 3 - 1 Getafe

Llorente(2), Jonathan

View attachment 255238

Champions League

Athletic Bilbao 4 - 3 Bayern Munich

Llorente, Muniain(2), Garcia Martin

View attachment 255239

Monthly Review

I'd say this was a pretty good month. We got revenge on Bayern in the sweetest way possible!! We were down to 10 men after Garcia Martin got injured after I'd made all my subs, they pulled it back to 2-2 before Muniain made it 3-2 to us. Then Muller grabbed a late equaliser for them, then when I was sitting here with my head in hands annoyed that we'd thrown yet another lead away I looked at my laptop screen to see Llorente had scored the latest of late winners!! Our league form was solid again, the only disappointment was the Malaga result as they'd had a man sent off then took the lead, I switched our tactics to Overload and from then on we were all over them. Muniain finally got us a goal back but we couldn't find the winner.

Player of the Month

Iker Muniain

images

Been in incredible form this year, scoring consistently and setting up others too. Just look at this average rating!!

View attachment 255243

Tables

View attachment 255244View attachment 255245

So at the winter break, we're level points with Madrid. Malaga are 3 points behind with a game in hand. Barcelona are well off the pace but came back from around 9 points off last season to take us all the way.​

January

images

• [*=left]Bilbao breeze into Spanish Cup semi's with ease
    [*=left]Madrid busy in the transfer market
    [*=left]Barcelona buy Lucas Moura
    [*=left]We buy no one :(

Transfer News

So we didnt buy anyone in the window but a few players did leave

View attachment 255472
The 2 youngsters left for first team football. Benat and Amorebieta were both moaning about lack of first team action so they left for Getafe, they have the option to buy Amorebieta at any time.

Real Madrid were very busy. They bought Hamsik, Erick Torres and bid for Muniain(obviously rejected)

View attachment 255473 View attachment 255474 View attachment 255475

Barcelona signed Lucas Moura for a relatively cheap fee I'd say

View attachment 255476

La Liga

Osasuna 1 - 3 Athletic Bilbao

Llorente(2), Javi Martinez

Villarreal 3 - 4 Athletic Bilbao

Llorente(2), Jonathan, Aranburu

View attachment 255477

Athletic Bibao 1 - 1 Barcelona

Susaeta

Spanish Cup

Athletic Bilbao 1 - 1 Real Sociedad
1st leg 5th Round
Jonathan

Real Sociedad 1 - 2 Athletic Bilbao
2nd leg 5th Round
Bilbao win 3-2 on aggregate

Llorente, Garcia Martin

View attachment 255483

Valencia 0 - 2 Athletic Bilbao
1st leg Quarter Final
Llorente, Garcia Martin

Athletic Bilbao 1 - 0 Valencia
2nd leg Quarter Final
Bibao win 3-0 on aggregate

Perez

View attachment 255485

Levante 0 - 0 Athletic Bilbao
1st leg Semi Final

Monthly Review

So in a month dominated by the Copa Del Rey we're looking good for another final, I'm confident we will beat Levante in the 2nd leg, they were hanging on by the skin of their teeth in the 1st leg. We did well in the league, we could have won the Barca match really, Llorente hit the post when clean through... Etxaniz was on top form between the sticks and got MoM. The Villarreal result was very pleasing, we deserved to win so I'm happy that justice was done :)

Player of the Month

Fernando Llorente

images

Goals, Goals, Goals!!!

Table

View attachment 255486

So we're level points with Madrid and pulling away from the pack. I think Malaga will drop off in time, Barca are in with a shout if they win their 2 games in hand.

Last edited:
February

images

• [*=left]Barcelona all but out of title race
    [*=left]Malaga still going strong
    [*=left]Madrid win second El Clasico 3-0
    [*=left]Levante put up a bit more of a fight than I thought in Spanish Cup semi final second leg
    [*=left]I have my best game in charge of Bilbao without a doubt!!!

La Liga

Real Betis 0 - 3 Athletic Bilbao

Llorente(2), San Jose

Athletic Bilbao 3 - 3 Real Madrid

Aranburu, Llorente(2)

View attachment 255500

Levante 0 - 1 Athletic Bilbao

Garcia Martin

Athletic Billbao 1 - 0 Almeria

Llorente

Spanish Cup

Athletic Bilbao 2 - 1 Levante
Semi Final 2nd Leg
Bilbao win 2-1 on aggregate

Llorente

View attachment 255501

And the best thing about this as well?? Barca lost to Malaga in the other semi!!

View attachment 255502

Champions League

Athletic Bilbao 5 - 0 Inter Milan
1st Knockout Stage 1st Leg

Llorente, Garcia Martin, Ekiza, San Jose, Ranocchia OG

View attachment 255503

Monthly Review

The only way this month could have been better was if we'd beaten Madrid. I couldn't believe the Inter match, we were so clinical and they just couldn't break us down!! Things are going well in the league as well, especially as I was saying a few months back I don't think we could win the league! I'd be really disappointed if we didn't know.

Player of the Month

Jose Maria Etxaniz

View attachment 255504

Had an awesome month, been brilliant all year. Got to be Spain's number 1 in a few years!

Table

View attachment 255505
Let me know what you all think of this month, been probably my best month this season I'd say :)

Back