A Guide to Formations and Tactics in FM

at least upload it in wordpard or office format for people who need a handy little play-book :p

Thanks for this GodCubed, maybe you should email it to Houllier ;)

Your guide have been both insightful and informative for me.God bless you

TT&F is a good guide, and I've read it multiple times, GC's guide certainly expands on the knowledge I've gained and it explains some things TT&F is obscure about.

:wub:

TT&F is a good guide, and I've read it multiple times, GC's guide certainly expands on the knowledge I've gained and it explains some things TT&F is obscure about.

one of the criticism of TT & F is that its too flowery and wordy. Godcubed gets straight to the point.

Gocubed am gonna write up a little bit about overloading flanks, and also creating one twos, will be PM it to you, you might feel its worth adding

Another cracking guide mate, really help-full.

:O Wow, great work GodCubed. Easy to read yet straight to the point.

Only one thing i can criticize, it not even a criticize of the guide more-so of football manager <)

"Other variants of the 4-3-3 include the out-and-out 4-3-3, in which a four man defence plays behind three midfielders and three out-and-out strikers. Whilst this is rare in real life, it is often used by experienced FM users (or just attack junkies) who want to squeeze three strikers into a formation.
imo there is no real life examples of a tactic with 3 out and out strikers. kinda off topic but this http://www.footballmanagerfanboys.n...ctics/3-strikers-on-football-manager-why-r250 is a great article by Validicus to support this.

As i said not really a criticizm of your article, more-so a mini rant at the use of 3 strikers in fm.

Great work GodCubed, ive never even heard of the defensive midfeilders combo. I will have to give it a try.

Godcubed the obsessive guide maker! XD

great work though mate ;)

Instant classic! (H)

Simple, easy to read, understand and everyone can relate the tactics and combos to his own team and players.

That's reassuring. When I was writing it I thought it might be too complex.

at least upload it in wordpard or office format for people who need a handy little play-book :p

Hm, I might well do that. I don't think it is in-depth enough to work as a word format guide (and trust me, if I was doing this in-depth it'd be five times as long) however.

I haven't read TT&F, but I've heard good things about it, so the comparison is appreciated.

one of the criticism of TT & F is that its too flowery and wordy. Godcubed gets straight to the point.

Gocubed am gonna write up a little bit about overloading flanks, and also creating one twos, will be PM it to you, you might feel its worth adding

I would be very happy if you did do that. This guide is really quite basic, so if things can be added to it over time it might grow into something very handy.

:O Wow, great work GodCubed. Easy to read yet straight to the point.

Only one thing i can criticize, it not even a criticize of the guide more-so of football manager <)

imo there is no real life examples of a tactic with 3 out and out strikers. kinda off topic but this http://www.footballmanagerfanboys.n...ctics/3-strikers-on-football-manager-why-r250 is a great article by Validicus to support this.

As i said not really a criticizm of your article, more-so a mini rant at the use of 3 strikers in fm.

Great work GodCubed, ive never even heard of the defensive midfeilders combo. I will have to give it a try.

Aha yes, the three strikers thing. I was debating whether to put "rare" or "non-existent", but I settled for rare. My reasoning was that somewhere in the world, a formation with three out and out strikers will be being used, whether as a starting formation or, more likely, to chase a result late in the game.

Defensive midfielders combo is something I stumbled upon which seems to work. I would reccommend using an anchor man/defensive mid (support) duo, because it seems to work better that way: one covers from deep, the other pushes up and destroys.

Godcubed the obsessive guide maker! XD

great work though mate ;)

Just for you mate. :p

Absolutely fantastic guide, very well written and concise.
kiu mate!

God Cubed. My problem is usually the approach. I like to play a more rigid countering game, like o neill or mourinho. Problem is it doesnt work with my teams. How did you decide on playing a balanced counter? what do you look at when you are picking your team instructions/approach

God Cubed. My problem is usually the approach. I like to play a more rigid countering game, like o neill or mourinho. Problem is it doesnt work with my teams. How did you decide on playing a balanced counter? what do you look at when you are picking your team instructions/approach

In my case, I looked at what kind of team I had. Villa are a top-half side with some flair players like Young, so you need to allow these players to roam rather than rigidly stick to tactical instructions. If you're playing with Wolves, say, a rigid instruction might work better, or if you're playing with Man City and their large amounts of skilled players, fluid might work.

Whilst the Rigid and Counter instructions work well together, there's nothing to say that they have to go together.

In my case, I looked at what kind of team I had. Villa are a top-half side with some flair players like Young, so you need to allow these players to roam rather than rigidly stick to tactical instructions. If you're playing with Wolves, say, a rigid instruction might work better, or if you're playing with Man City and their large amounts of skilled players, fluid might work.

Whilst the Rigid and Counter instructions work well together, there's nothing to say that they have to go together.
Right i decided on spurs. They have natural wingers so i just decided to play with wingers. I cant stand crouch so im playing defoe up front. Drill crosses counter attack style is how im playing. I have the same team instructions as you but i implemented zonal marking (personal preference). I have the creator/destroyer/passer combo with VDV, Jenas and Modric respectively. Thank you for your help. Im hoping that this will work.

Right i decided on spurs. They have natural wingers so i just decided to play with wingers. I cant stand crouch so im playing defoe up front. Drill crosses counter attack style is how im playing. I have the same team instructions as you but i implemented zonal marking (personal preference). I have the creator/destroyer/passer combo with VDV, Jenas and Modric respectively. Thank you for your help. Im hoping that this will work.
would thud or palacios be better destroyers? (A)

What should i do with modric then?

Archetypal creator. Alternatively, put him out wide on the left, move Bale to left-back, put VDV in the centre as a creator.

Had a brief flick through and it looks superb ! I will have an in depth look at it tomorrow :)

But I do agree, Max's tactical guide is pwn ;)

You might have trouble against a deep 4-4-2, as the deep midfielders can shuttle out sideways and prevent your wingbacks from getting forward as well as doubling up on your strikers. Try pushing a central mid forward into an attacking mid position and giving them too much to do: two players can't mark two wingbacks and a midfielder at once. Only do this if you're confident of a win though.

K thanks man, I'll let you know how it goes.