A Guide to Formations and Tactics in FM

Just had a proper read through and see you mentioned my article on Counter-Attacking Strategy. Cheers bud. :D

4.8) Advanced Forward/Deep-lying Forward

A standard combo in the game, the deep-lying forward creates the goal, the advanced forward scores them. You know how to do this.

I was just wondering, is this like the Target Man and Poacher?
The Target man comes deep to get the ball because he's big and strong to win the ball and he plays it through to an advanced forward?

The Target man comes deep to get the ball because he's big and strong to win the ball and he plays it through to an advanced forward?
this is more the creator scorer partnership, its more rooney - berbatov, than crouch - defoe

In a sense, yes, except it works different and the skills sets needed for the players are different. The Deep-lying Forward is creative, for example Wayne Rooney. The Adv. Forward is bigger, more of an all-round player, and more of a goalscorer, like Berbatov. The Adv. Forward differs from the poacher in that he doesn't need to be blisteringly quick, and is willing to move to the flanks to build play. The DLF differs from a Target Man in the sense that he doesn't need to be big and strong, but rather needs to be a good passer with good creativity.

EDIT: Zoomed. Get out of my thread Mike! :p

Just had a proper read through and see you mentioned my article on Counter-Attacking Strategy. Cheers bud. :D

No problem, was a very good read.

Last edited:
Hey mate brilliant guide, really really good to see a in depth accurate account on the fm tactics made to look understandible.

I wanted to ask you a quick question if i may.
i play with man utd and i play a 4-3-2-1 formation,
I always get stuck though on my defense.it seems that even though i have some of the best defenders in the world their average match ratings never seem to go any higher than 7.3 on a season average. i play a high defensive line, two wingbacks to central defenders, both CD are man marking, they don't tight mark though, 1 is quick the other quite slow, both set to defensive mindset and the wingbacks are just about normal mindset.
Do you have any tips on a specific way for my defenders to play well. I have tried everything and i keep cleen sheets often but they never play extremely well unless i score 6 goals or they score.

is this something i am doing wrong or just the way the game is?The thing which annoys me is i see other teams with their defenders averaging over 8 on a season average so i would like to know if there is something else i could do.

Apologies i don't have screenshots but if you could give me some tips it would be great.

Cheers.Thanks for the guide.!!!!

Hey mate brilliant guide, really really good to see a in depth accurate account on the fm tactics made to look understandible.

I wanted to ask you a quick question if i may.
i play with man utd and i play a 4-3-2-1 formation,
I always get stuck though on my defense.it seems that even though i have some of the best defenders in the world their average match ratings never seem to go any higher than 7.3 on a season average. i play a high defensive line, two wingbacks to central defenders, both CD are man marking, they don't tight mark though, 1 is quick the other quite slow, both set to defensive mindset and the wingbacks are just about normal mindset.
Do you have any tips on a specific way for my defenders to play well. I have tried everything and i keep cleen sheets often but they never play extremely well unless i score 6 goals or they score.

is this something i am doing wrong or just the way the game is?The thing which annoys me is i see other teams with their defenders averaging over 8 on a season average so i would like to know if there is something else i could do.

Apologies i don't have screenshots but if you could give me some tips it would be great.

Cheers.Thanks for the guide.!!!!

Defenders as a general rule don't tend to go over 7.4 unless they do one of two things: One, have a truly exceptional game, or Two, score a goal. So if you're not conceding, you're doing fine, good job.

godcubed, any chance of u including catennacio in there ;)

Interesting idea. Maybe I will, I'll have a look at both that and Zona Mista.

There you are, you demanding lot. Just for you, oneunited, I've done Total Football and Catenaccio, and added Zona Mista because I love its zaniness. Enjoy, people.

Loved the piece on total football. At some point I'll get round to creating a tactic like this then let you know the results.

Great Guide, thanks.

I'm managing Maccabi Tel-Aviv, with a 4-2-3-1 formation similiar to your Villa one.

I have Haris Medunjanin as my 'creator' for definite, as he fits the role perfectly. My problem lies with my two defensive midfielders (Gal Alberman and Sheran Yeini) as I'm unsure with what roles to give them!

Help would be appreciated.

There you are, you demanding lot. Just for you, oneunited, I've done Total Football and Catenaccio, and added Zona Mista because I love its zaniness. Enjoy, people.

thanks mate :p

do you mind one more suggestion tho ;)

a look at tiki - taka would be useful for most members who wish to replicate spain , arsenal and barcelona

thanks mate :p

do you mind one more suggestion tho ;)

a look at tiki - taka would be useful for most members who wish to replicate spain , arsenal and barcelona

In-teresting. Yeah, might well have a crack at that one, that and possibly a look at the formation Mourinho used against Barca, second leg of the Champions League match last year.

One Tiki-Taka tactic ready and hot, my good sir. You'll find it in the OP.

This has inspired me to A) Analyse (I will put it up here when finished) and B) Actually try and work out Barca's tactic in FM. I appreciate many people have asked for it and many have tried to make it work, but I'll try doing it on sheer realism rather than effectiveness in the game.

It worked, thx man beat R. Madrid 5-2 in teh Euro Champions Cup Semi.

3.6) 4-2-3-1 Tiki-Taka

View attachment 121444

Used by the Spanish National Team in their EURO 2008 and World Cup 2010 victories, the lopsided 4-2-3-1 that Spain play packs in some of the best technical players on the planet into a formation that provides methodical attack and mean defence in one. For reasons of realism, I have included the first-choice Spain side in the picture. Oneunited pestered me for this: if you enjoy reading about this, thank him, not me!

One point that must be remembered is that the formation in this case is secondary to how it is played. Spain play a possession-based short passing game, retaining the ball at all costs. If the ball is lost, the side press with unparalleled aggression to win it back. Once Spain are ahead, they are nearly impossible to beat: once they have the ball, they can pass, pass, pass the opposition side to death. The only way to get the ball off them is hoping they will make a mistake (unlikely, considering their immense technical ability) or catching them in possession (again unlikely). On top of this, the pace, guile, off the ball movement coupled with the unmatchable passing ability makes the forward players lethal. Alright, let's get about analysing this.

At the back, goalkeeper Iker Casillas plays a sweeper keeper role behind a high defensive line intent on reducing the space opponents have to play in. Gerard Pique plays as a ball-playing defender, playing long accurate passes to the forwards. Beside him, Joan Capdevila plays a more reserved role than his right-back counterpart, Sergio Ramos, who flys up and down the wing in support of his forwards. In midfield, Sergio Busquets plays a calm, collected destroyer role, distributing the ball to his more cultured defensive midfield partner, Xabi Alonso, who spreads the ball wide and forward. In front of him and highlighted in the picture is the position Xavi plays. Xavi is pivotal to the team: so talented that he can be labelled the main attacking outlet in a team chock full of creative players. A tad out of position in the Spain team, he plays as an advanced playmaker but starting from deep. Just ahead of him, on the right flank is his partner in crime, Andres Iniesta. A versatile player, Iniesta has played a variety of positions for Spain but this is the one he takes most often. He plays as a more attack minded Advanced Playmaker, cutting inside to spray passes around and use his extraordinary dribbling skills. Sergio Ramos covers for the lack of width on this side by offering an outlet from right back (see inside forward/attacking full back combo later). Annoyingly, in FM Iniesta isn't even accomplished in this position.

At the front we have two clinical, pacey forwards. Fernando Torres, the bigger, stronger of the two, is the complete forward, combining pace, power and aerial ability with great technical skills and a powerful finish. Villa cuts in from the left wing (again, he is not accomplished there in FM. Grrr.) where he plays more as a secondary forward than a winger, cutting inside onto his stronger foot and using his brilliant technical skills (beginning to see a pattern here...) and his superb finishing to give him a Di Stefano-esque international scoring record of 44 goals in just 70 games.

I will be creating this formation, mark my words.

thanks mate :D

and one thing u should remember, all the players should have " move into channels " as their wide play instructions

just stumbled across this thread and will read it in depth more when sober, however i would like to congratulate you on a very helpful guide from what ive read so far sir!

just stumbled across this thread and will read it in depth more when sober, however i would like to congratulate you on a very helpful guide from what ive read so far sir!

Don't, it makes more sense when you're hammered. :p