A Guide to Formations and Tactics in FM

WOW....just WOW...What a guide!!

I'm going to give the Spain EURO/World Cup tactic a go. I'll let you know how I get on ;)

WOW....just WOW...What a guide!!

I'm going to give the Spain EURO/World Cup tactic a go. I'll let you know how I get on ;)

Thank you. Please do, I look forward to hearing about it.

Right, I'm pretty much done creating the tactic/player roles/instructions :D

Just got the 1 question; What philosophy would you use? I'm torn between fluid or VERY fluid!! I'm using Real Madrid btw (until I've perfected the tactic)

Right, I'm pretty much done creating the tactic/player roles/instructions :D

Just got the 1 question; What philosophy would you use? I'm torn between fluid or VERY fluid!! I'm using Real Madrid btw (until I've perfected the tactic)

V. Fluid. At least, that's what I'm doing with my version. I'm trying it with Lazio, I'll do a season and find out what happens.

FM has got me wonder, has any team ever used the 4-2-4 tacticas their preferred tactic in a season? I ask cause I see it from time to time & one team actually plays mostly it on my current save.

Thread of the Year.

Not that hard as it's only been a day, but still. Top, top guide.

How would you implement a box-to-box midfielder into a 5 man midfield?

FM has got me wonder, has any team ever used the 4-2-4 tacticas their preferred tactic in a season? I ask cause I see it from time to time & one team actually plays mostly it on my current save.

Interesting question. The 1958 world champions, Brazil, with a 17 year old Pele as their spearhead, more or less perfected this tactic. It would need to be extremely fluid at the top, though, and have forwards proficient at holding the ball.

Thread of the Year.

Not that hard as it's only been a day, but still. Top, top guide.

Posted last year. Would it count? :p

How would you implement a box-to-box midfielder into a 5 man midfield?

Depends on your variation on a five man midfield. Okay, so we'll take out two midfielders, as we can assume they're the wingers/carrileros. So three midfielders left. With that, you have have one DM in a role of your choice, one box-to-box mid and one central midfielder in the role of your choice, probably a support role.

For Paraguay Im using 2-3-2-3 Total Football as my attacking (might have to use it for friendlies team not that strong :() 4-2-3-1 Tiki-Taka standard formation 1-2-2-3-2 Zona Mista (which i would probably use alot)

When i tried the 1-2-2-3-2 Zona Mista didnt know what philiosophy or to play counter or defensive
1-2-2-3-2 Zona Mista got me a 1-0 over Ecuador

Really great thread GodCubed! I don't know has anyone thought about it but I a good formation would also be 4-3-2-1 with 3 CM-s, 2 Inside Forwards and 1 Advanced Forward. The CM left and CM right would have a ball winning midfielder support role and in the middle the CM would have a Box-to-box Midfielder. Also every one of these 3 CM-s and AML/R-s should have at least 12-14 attribute of the long shots. In one game my players scored 3 wonderful long-range goals and the stats in the same game are amazing. It has done wonders for me a season and half when I played it and every now and then I just tweak some things. Here:

View attachment 121931View attachment 121932View attachment 121933View attachment 121934

NOTE: The squad I have isn't the same as in the 2010/2011 season as I am now in the 2012/2103 season and I am now using a slight variation of this tactic.But look at the fixtures. LOL. Quarter-finals lost against LOSC Lille Metropole on penalties. Won against Shakhtar.

Been playing FM for years but still found this a really good guide

i'm trying to recreate Martin O'neill's tactics, and i've got a little question:
i want a winger to cut inside, but there's no inside foward rol in ML/R position, so i moved him to AMR, but when i go to the advanced player settings the "wide play" option has a "cut inside option", will this have the effect i want to my tactic?

what's mean about creator/destroyer/passer, and what's role to suit them ?

I had a look and liked what i saw,im new to the game and i have had major issues with having a top team and not getting the best out of them,im in to my 12th season and the team i have just doesnt seem to get that 1 add 1 is 2 and not 5

Any help would be appreciated mate

Any idea how a three man midfield in a 4-3-3 (with inside forwards) would work? Like in de post of shadow? Used those tactics with a Ball winning midfielder - deep lying playmaker defense - advanced playmaker attack. Worked well for about 4-5 months, but hasnt since. Maybe it's too easy to counter or its highly depended on one or two specific players (stat wise).

Excellent guide GC!
My favourite formation is also 4-2-3-1.
Target man - poacher combo is very powerful, but I`m not sure if it`s going to work properly in fm because the game doesn`t allow you to use 2 target man. For ex. Primary target man - poacher - run on ball; secondary target man - target man - ball to head. You can only choose one of them at a time. Hope that they`re gonna change this in fm 2012

Excellent work, certainly gave me some food for thought that I'd like to see if I can implement.

I've used a slight variation when playing a flexible 4-4-2, which works with me invariably well, which is the Deep Lying forward - Support, with a Poacher.

This combination will change give the flexibility of having someone supporting the poacher, so he wouldn't be isolated as well as a forward deep enough to be counted as a midfielder and allows me to hold the midfield against most teams.

So, if you try this combo in attack, you'll find you have the midfield grip that a 4-5-1 provides, as well as the duet up front for direct penetration of defense that the 4-4-2 provides.

It does require a very proficient striker to take up the DLF - Support role though, someone like Ibrahimovic for example, who has the dribbling ability to keep hold of the ball for long enough, or retraining a playmaker into striker position, I tried it with Coutinho and it works equally well, as he makes up for his small stature by short through balls into the box, working in the Inside forwards or the Poacher.

great guide:) just made it my fm2011 goal to perfect the bielsa chile tactic:)