"A Hardman Winger?" The Career of Thierry Zvunka

Status
Not open for further replies.

djh1878

Mark McCusker's #1 Fan
Reaction score
(3rd August 2010 - cheers for all the support so far guys! If you're reading this for the first time, and can't be bothered reading all the updates, I'd recommend reading the first two posts followed by this - then you can go straight to page three!)

Hi all, thought I'd give another story a bash. :) This time, I'll be focusing on following and individual manager, rather than a club, so it should (hopefully!) be more engaging and readable. May I present...

3vwbl.jpg

The Birth of a Future Great?

Thierry Zvunka is a name recognisable to many lower-league football fans. The hard-working left winger had a solid, if unspectacular, playing career, drifting around the divisions both in his parents’ native France and his native Scotland. While his playing days drew to a close, he earned his coaching badges, and made no secret of his desire to step up to football management.

When the FFF named Zvunka as manager of the France U21’s, it came as a relative surprise. The Federation has been vindicated in it’s choice in the past year, however, with the newcomer leading his young guns to an impressive 100% record in European Championship qualifying and in friendly matches. His philosophy of possession-centric attacking football has had some excitable journalists and pundits comparing the young Frenchmen to the total football of the great past Dutch teams, sweeping every opponent to the side with flair and panache. As a result of their performances, interest in the stars of the side has been increasing exponentially, as shown in the last transfer window by Karim Aït Fana’s big money move to Real Madrid from Montpellier.

With the 2010 close season upon us, it seems that Zvunka will move into club management sooner rather than later. There has already been an offer made by English League 2 side Cheltenham, who this season narrowly avoided relegation, but the young gaffer has asked any interested parties for time to think his next move through until the end of the season. The FFF has already given it’s blessing to Zvunka taking on a club job and continuing his sterling work at U21 level – it seems that the federation has bowed to the inevitable, with a string of clubs such as Dijon and Stade Lavallois (as well as numerous Scottish clubs) being credited with an interest.

Many analysts are already touting Thierry Zvunka as the next Arsene Wenger, due to his stylish football philosophy and belief in the importance of youth. It remains to be seen whether he will emulate the Arsenal great, but that hasn't stopped many pundits already looking forward to following his (seemingly inevitable) journey to the top.

EDIT: Thought I'd keep a tally of what's happened so far in the OP, to keep things nice and tidy. Hopefully more to come!

Achievements so far:

France Under 21's (July 2009 - October 2011)

European U21 Championship winners (June 2011)

Kilmarnock (May 2011 - May 2013)

Scottish First Division Manager of the Month (August, September, October, November, December 2011, April 2012)
Scottish First Division champions (2011/12)
Scottish Challenge Cup winners (2011/12)
Scottish First Division Manager of the Year (2011/12)

SPL Manager of the Month (October 2012)
Scottish League Cup runners-up (2012/13)
Finished 3rd in SPL Manager of the Year voting (2012/13)

Belgium (May 2012 - July 2014)

Qualified for World Cup 2014
Finished 3rd in World Cup 2014

Feyenoord (May 2013 - July 2014)

Eredivisie champions (2013/14)
Dutch Cup winners (2013/14)
Eredivisie Managers' Manager of the Year (2013/14)

Werder Bremen (July 2014 - Present)

Last edited:
np1253.jpg

Meeting the 'nouveau Wenger'

We’re used to endlessly talking about the same merry-go-round of stories: Who will Manchester City sign next? Will the Glazers ever be tempted to sell up and move out of Old Trafford? Will the Old Firm ever move south into the English leagues? Will Liverpool bounce back into the fabled ‘top four’? While the news and debates in football might seem dull in the UK, over the channel in France they have something new, fresh and exciting to talk about – and the reason for this is very much British born and bred.

Don’t be fooled by the name – Thierry Zvunka is as Scottish as they come…with a pinch of gallic personality thrown in. Born in Glasgow to French parents, Thierry enjoyed an eleven-year playing career, flitting from division to division in the lower leagues of Scotland and latterly France. A rare kind of footballer (whoever thought a winger could be a hardman?), Thierry combined power with trickery, confusing himself as well as the opposition from time to time! It is his first foray into management, however, that has sent the French sporting media into overdrive. Taking over the national U21 side, many doubted the credentials of a man with no prior management experience, and no top-level playing experience. Now, the very same hacks are bending over backwards to praise the ‘nouveau Wenger’.

With such high praise comes high expectations…not that you’d know it when meeting the man himself. A laid back and extremely amiable chap, Zvunka seems like the polar opposite of a football manager. The reason for the increased media buzz comes from his declaration that he “would not take any job in club management into consideration until the European Championships qualifying is concluded”. With the French U21 side winning all 8 games in the qualifying group (registering a startling 21 goals scored to just 1 conceded) only Croatia lie in the way of success. And believe me, they are extremely worried about facing the young Frenchmen on the 8th of October!

Zvunka comes across as an intriguing character: humble yet extremely self-confident, quiet yet opinionated, and willing to openly discuss almost anything – it certainly makes a refreshing change from speaking to many modern managers. Over the summer, he was endlessly linked with club jobs all over Europe, but as he says himself in the following interview, “I’ve got all the time in the world to make the correct decisions.”

Q: Thierry, you were linked with the managerial job at my club, Inverness, as well as many others in Scotland. Were you offered any club jobs over the summer, and if so why did you not take any? (Mark, Inverness)

A: It seems like I was linked with just about every club in the Scottish lower leagues at some point! It was all speculation, and in the end I didn’t receive any offers from Scotland. The only concrete offer made to me was from Cheltenham, in England’s League 2. I looked around the place, but something didn’t feel right. At the end of the day, I’m in no rush to jump into club management – if I accept an offer, it will have to be the right one for me and for the FFF (French Football Federation)

Q: Thierry, you have enjoyed great success so far with the French U21 side. What is your secret? (Philippe, Calais)

A: I have many! (laughs) In all seriousness, the main thing has been giving the boys the freedom they craved to show off what they can do. My philosophy is simple – the fans pay to get entertained, and that’s what I try to achieve, while gaining the right results. It seems to have worked well with the U21’s, and the fact that they have been able to showcase their talents has led to members of the squad moving to top clubs such as Real Madrid, Inter and Lyon. It’s win-win for both the national fans and the players themselves.

Q: You haven’t been shy in laying out your preferred career path. What are you looking for in your first club job? (David, Milton Keynes)

A: I haven’t, because I am an ambitious individual and an honest individual. I have always let the FFF know that I intended to enter club management in the near future, so there are no issues there. In terms of what I’m looking for, preferably a club with the ambition and set-up to go places. I am a great believer in youth, so I’ll be looking to harvest talent through whatever youth system I come across. My greatest ambition is to manage in the top leagues of different countries, so I will consider offers from just about anywhere!

Q: Where do you see yourself in 10 years time? (Trevor, Cornwall)

A: Hopefully managing in a top league, with a promising crop of young players ready to make their mark on the first team wherever I am. If not, possibly in charge of a full national team, who knows?

…and finally…

Q: Thierry, if you are eating a sausage sandwich, would you have it with red sauce, brown sauce, or nothing at all? (Danny Baker, London)

A: (laughs) It has to be brown sauce on a sausage roll. No contest!

Thierry Zvunka was speaking to BBC Radio 5 Live presenter Danny Baker.

Really good setup and layout! Great detail and ensorbing story, too. Great start, will follow!

Fantastic, you've taken FM Base story writing to a new level!

Cheers bud, high praise indeed! ;)

2uonsjr.jpg

FIFA European U21 Championship qualifying concludes

The qualifying stages for the FIFA European U21 Championship came to an end this evening, with 7 nations earning their places alongside host country Denmark. The second leg results are displayed below, with the aggregate scores in brackets.

France (5) 2-1 (1) Croatia
Italy (2) 1-0 (1) Greece
Poland (3) 2-2 (3) Turkey
Russia (1) 0-2 (3) Czech Republic
Holland (0) 0-1 (1) Spain
Germany (2) 0-2 (3) England
Sweden (2) 1-1 (6.) Serbia

2-Legged Match Report – France vs Croatia

The French U21 side, under manager Thierry Zvunka, were the best-performing national team during the group stage of qualifying with a magnificent 100% record, and were widely acknowledged as the team to avoid in the draw. The unlucky nation to come out of the hat with ‘Les Bleus’ was Drazen Ladic’s Croatia, who came through an extremely competitive group at the expense of challenges from Scotland and Eire.

The first leg, in Croatia, would be pivotal to the outcome of this tie. Ladic claimed that a clean sheet would put Croatia in the drivers seat, while Zvunka promised to maintain the verve and style in which the French team had stormed their group. In the end, the pace and precision of the French overwhelmed the hosts, and Zvunka’s boys eased to a 3-0 win which could and perhaps should have been more. Croatia couldn’t even muster an attempt on target from their 4 efforts on goal, while the visitors put 15 of their 21 shots goalbound.

Following their fantastic away win, Thierry Zvunka again refused to compromise his footballing philosophy, and with Drazen Ladic promising to attack from the off this game promised much. In the end, France killed off the Croat challenge within 15 minutes of kick-off, taking an immediate 2-0 lead. The visitors managed to bag a late consolation, but by the time the 82nd-minute strike hit the back of the net the French players and fans were already planning their trips to Denmark.

dmvf9c.jpg

After another impressive showing, France U21’s are being installed as the bookmakers favourites for the title. Will ‘Les Blues’ be lifting this trophy in June? The main challengers for the title are expected to be England, Spain and Serbia.

Last edited:
This is a great story mate -- keep up the good work :)

I tried something similar to this as a test -- I put myself in the game with high managerial ratings and top-end potential. I gave myself the England U-21s (thinking it would fast-track my characters career), but he stayed there for ten seasons, lol. I got bored waiting for the new Mourinho to take over Tottenham :) Hopefully, your guy moves about a bit more than mine did :)

This is a great story mate -- keep up the good work :)

I tried something similar to this as a test -- I put myself in the game with high managerial ratings and top-end potential. I gave myself the England U-21s (thinking it would fast-track my characters career), but he stayed there for ten seasons, lol. I got bored waiting for the new Mourinho to take over Tottenham :) Hopefully, your guy moves about a bit more than mine did :)

I'm pretty sure that I'll not just be here for 10 years, because it's me that's in control lol! Am hoping to begin the next update tomorrow with developments...cheers for reading. :)

I'm pretty sure that I'll not just be here for 10 years, because it's me that's in control lol! Am hoping to begin the next update tomorrow with developments...cheers for reading. :)

Oh right :) I thought you'd made him and were keeping an eye on his career, lol.

Good stuff so far :)

2eocoe1.jpg

Zvunka Rumours Growing

There have been rumours with regards to the France U21 manager, Thierry Zvunka, since the 2010 close season. Now, as the 2010/11 season draws to a close, it seems that the talented young gaffer may have finally settled upon his preferred club destination after a year of consideration.

France Football can exclusively reveal that Zvunka has been considering several offers from British clubs over the past few months: in England, two League 2 clubs (Wrexham and Lincoln) as well as a League 1 club (Tranmere) have been pursuing the young Scotsman, while there have also been concrete offers made from two lower-league clubs in the country of his birth (Ayr and East Fife). However, FF believes that his most likely port of call for his first foray into club management will be Kilmarnock, who have just been relegated from the Scottish Premier League and offer an intriguing and challenging project.

Like many in the French football community, we have been intrigued by Thierry Zvunka’s imminent move into the club management world, and quite frankly understand that he could accept any of the jobs on offer to him. To help you, the reader, who may be unaware of the clubs in question, FF has compiled this quick guide to the rivals vying for Zvunka’s undoubted managerial skills:

Wrexham (League 2) – Having just been relegated, the Welsh side are probably Thierry Zvunka’s least likely destination. The club needs a major overhaul after a desperately disappointing season, and off the field it’s facilities could also do with some investment – especially in youth development.

Lincoln City (League 2) – a comfortably mid-table side, Lincoln sacked previous manager Chris Sutton after dropping to 18th place in the league. Having concluded their fixtures safely, the club is looking to push higher up the table next season. However, Zvunka would require some investment in both first team and youth training facilities to match his standards and realise the club’s potential.

Tranmere Rovers (League 1) – The Rovers had a good season, finishing just outside the playoff spots in 8th. Going against them landing Zvunka, however, is the fact that the club’s finances are said to be insecure, meaning that the U21 manager would struggle to improve the average youth facilities and merely adequate full training complex. In addition, their stadium is in very poor condition.

East Fife (Scottish Second Division) – East Fife are an ambitious outfit with decent cash reserves. Last season, however, was one to forget as the club was relegated due to a desperately poor start in the league. Their basic training complex goes against them, but the chairman is not scared to invest. Whether Zvunka would drop to the lowest professional Scottish league is another matter.

Ayr United (Scottish First Division) – A former great in Scottish football, Ayr have been kicking around the lower divisions for too long. Another relegation followed this season, so the rebuilding must begin yet again for the Somerset Park side. Their facilities need investment, but they have a good core squad of players, and a history of bringing through talented youngsters.

Kilmarnock (SPL) – This years SPL whipping-boys have been battling at the bottom of the SPL for some time, and they have finally succumbed to the dreaded drop. Finances aren’t great, but the playing squad has retained assests such as Craig Bryson (valued at £1.4 million) amongst others. With a quality stadium and good youth facilities, Killie would seem to be Thierry Zvunka’s most likely destination – if he failed to bounce the club back up to the SPL, however, he probably wouldn’t last too long in the hotseat.

France Football expects Thierry Zvunka to make a decision before the upcoming European Under 21 Championships, and will bring you the news first. The clock is ticking…

35a1wma.jpg

Will Zvunka be taking over at Rugby Park, Kilmarnock?

---------- Post added at 06:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:45 PM ----------

34rhz6h.jpg

Thierry Zvunka unveiled as new Kilmarnock manager

Kilmarnock chairman Craig Bryce today unveiled France U21 manager Thierry Zvunka as the club’s new manager. The Scots-Frenchman succeeds Jimmy Calderwood, who was sacked after failing to avoid relegation from the SPL. He has signed an initial 2 year deal, to carry him through until the end of the 2012/13 season.

Craig Bryce declared himself “delighted” to get his man ahead of several other suitors, despite the club being in some reported financial trouble. He has injected some more funding into the budgets for Zvunka, who now has an extra £7k a week in wages and around £100k transfer budget to bring in new players.

Zvunka explained why had chosen to start his club management career in Scotland ahead of offers from south of the border. “I’ve always said when asked that my priority is youth,” he elaborated, “and Kilmarnock have by far the best youth system of any of the clubs that gave me offers. Also, while there are some potential money problems, I see this as a challenge, and an opportunity to blood through youngsters into the first team in the next couple of years.”

When asked of his immediate aims, Zvunka was concise and to the point. “The aim is to win the First Division next season, and bring this club back to where it belongs in the SPL. I intend to get there by playing successful attacking football, which will hopefully bring some of the fans back on a more regular basis. Without the fans, there will be no Kilmarnock in the future.”

Regarding transfer policy, there were once again no grey areas! “I will be using my contacts around Europe to sign the best young talent possible, and develop them here so that they can make the club a tidy sum in future. In terms of filling the gaps at right back and on the wings, I won’t be making signings for the sake of it. Whoever comes in must be the right player at the right price for the club.”

Finally, he ended the press conference on a surprise note, which caught the French press pack completely off guard – “As you know, next month is the European U21 Championship. After the conclusion of this tournament, I will have to review my future with the international set-up, to ensure that I can devote enough time to repay the faith shown in me by Mr Bryce.” The rumour mill is now speculating that Zvunka will step down from the French U21 team if he collects the trophy in Denmark, but in all honesty no-one knows what to expect next. One thing is for sure – things should be interesting for Killie fans over the next couple of years.

Club Profile - Kilmarnock

2ahnio.jpg

Kilmarnock are a well-known bastion of the Scottish game, with a long and distinguished history. With a tournament win as recently as a year ago in March 2010 (the League Cup), fans have been shocked by last season’s dismal campaign, culminating in their side finishing bottom of the SPL and being relegated to the First Division.

The club possess one of the finest stadia in the country in Rugby Park, an 18,128 all seater, along with average training facilities and a good youth setup. The club’s financial worries stem from the loan debts of just over £10 million, while Killie’s assets only amount to £2.5 million. However, with a period of steady progress and premier league football returning to the town, this shouldn’t become too big an issue.

Some key players will be leaving on Bosman transfers in the summer, including target man Kevin Kyle (Charlton), solid centre-back Frazer Wright (also Charlton) and full-back Tim Clancy (Walsall). In addition, Zvunka is expected to let experienced frontman Danny Invincible and influential keeper Alan Combe leave at the end of their deals to allow the younger players to progress.

The key assets who are staying at the club (as it stands) are attacking midfielders Craig Bryson and Mehdi Taouil. Bryson, a product of Clyde’s youth programme, is valued at over £1 million and has expressed a desire to play top-flight football again as soon as possible. Taouil is a Moroccan international, and has mentored Bryson for the last couple of years. If these two players can be kept happy, then Killie will have no shortage of chances created next season…expect goals at Rugby Park!

2yl8jzo.jpg
20gdtn9.jpg

Craig Bryson and Mehdi Taouil, Kilmarnock’s creative force

A really nice layout and a absorbing and enthralling story

Cheers for the comments guys, really appreciate you taking the time to say you're reading! :)

2uonsjr.jpg

FIFA European U21 Championship ends with French delight

France have been crowned U21 Champions of Europe after defeating Serbia 2-1 in tonight’s final at Brøndby Stadion, Brøndby. Gaël Kakuta was the hero for the young ‘Les Blues’ side, clinching the trophy with an 86th minute winner. It was a deserved win for France and their manager Thierry Zvunka, who played free-flowing attacking football throughout the tournament and were deserving winners. Serbia claimed an important runners-up berth, announcing their arrival on the international scene in the past couple of years with some exciting displays. The future looks bright for both countries in the near future, with some outstanding young talent coming through and ready to break into their nation's senior teams.

Championship Report Card – France

260yec2.jpg

This young French side have made good on their promise to sweep to glory with gusto. Despite losing 3 key squad members to the senior national side, Zvunka managed to mould his young boys into an unbeatable outfit. Despite leaking a few goals on the counter, their success came through controlling possession and playing with a high defensive line to exert pressure on their opponents.

Player of the tournament for the French was winger Johan Mollo of AS Monaco. Unfortunately, we missed the opportunity to see his skills in the final due to injury, but he had a sublime tournament – both creating and scoring goals for fun. Honourable mentions go to Gaël Kakuta, who clinched the title with a sublime strike, and Henri Saivet who gave every left-back he faced nightmares.

Pre-tournament, there was speculation that manager Thierry Zvunka would step down if his side won the championship, but he confounded the rumour mill in his post-tournament press conference. “I am so proud of my players, it makes me genuinely emotional to think where we’ve come from and got to. Looking forward, I have decided to stay on as U21 manager – primarily, the reason for this is that we have now qualified for the Olympics, in London. To lead out the French team in the land of my birth (Great Britain) will be an unquestionable honour. I cannot wait, and neither can the players!”

1zpo7qr.jpg

Johan Mollo, the France U21’s Player of the Tournament

Last edited:
xof8s2.jpg

2ahnio.jpg

New Season Finally Underway

Thierry Zvunka’s reign is off to a flying start in Kilmarnock, with two impressive cup wins and an encouraging pre-season in July. It has been a hectic period for the players, with several new arrivals and departures, but the blue and whites have hit the ground running. Details of all matches last month are below (including an almost-famous result against the might of Manchester United!), followed by the concluded transfers in and out of Rugby Park.

Pre-Season Friendly
Kilmarnock 0-1 Rangers
Kevin Thomson (85)
Att: 9372

Pre-Season Friendly
Kilmarnock 2-2 Manchester United
Jamie Hamill (pen 27), Rocky Lekaj (37) – Dimitar Berbatov (12), Tom Dwight (90+2)
Att: 15383

Pre-Season Friendly
Al-Khaboora 0-1 Kilmarnock
Conor Sammon (28)
Att: 650

Pre-Season Friendly
Selsey 0-3 Kilmarnock
Mark Burchill (37), Conor Sammon (63), Rocky Lekaj (90+2)
Att: 297

Pre-Season Friendly
Kilmarnock 4-1 Drogheda United
Engin Bekdemir (10), Jamie Adams (12), Graeme Owens (40), Andrea Signorini (87) – Killian O’Brian (pen 45+2)
Att: 1099

Scottish Challenge Cup
Partick Thistle 0-3 Kilmarnock
Conor Sammon (20,55,pen 70)
Att: 4930

Scottish League Cup
Kilmarnock 7-0 Elgin City
Engin Bekdemir (5), Oliver Norwood (17), Graeme Owens (33), Rémi Elissalde (38), Azzedine Ourahou (40,66), Murray McConnachie (og 62)
Att: 1946

Transfers In (1st Team Squad)

GK Erwin Zelasny (FC Nantes, free)
DC Andrea Signorini (Genoa, loan)
DL Aurélien Calbou (US Albigeoise, free)
DR Chris Premel (US Roan l’Etape, free)
MC Rémi Elissalde (Sunderland, loan)
MC Oliver Norwood (Manchester United, free)
AML Rocky Lekaj (Sheffield Wednesday, loan)
AML Azzedine Ourahou (Bagnols-Pont, free)
AMC Engin Bekdemir (Manchester City, loan)

Transfers Out

GK Lee Robinson (Inverness CT, 10k)
CB Chris de Wagt (Doncaster, 10k)
MC Liam Kelly (Livingston, loan)
AML Jordan Lowdon (Beith, loan)
AMC Craig Bryson (Rangers, 1.1M)

In addition to these signings, Thierry Zvunka has been busy bolstering the youth ranks with new talent, hoping to provide a conveyor belt to the first team within the next couple of years. We will be doing a feature on the new young recruits very soon, exclusively here on KillieMAD!

Most of these transfer deals were wrapped up before the Killie team kicked a single ball in pre-season. The biggest move of all, however, was yet to come – Rangers made an audacious swoop for young playmaker Craig Bryson, and chairman Craig Bryce interviened to accept the £1.1 million offer. To plug the gap, Thierry Zvunka made a massive transfer of his own, landing Turkish wonderkid Engin Bekdemir from big spending Manchester City on a season-long loan deal. From the early glimpses of the lad, it looks like he could well rip the First Division apart, with a lethal combination of creativity, precision passing and accurate shooting.

33z75sj.jpg
14l7wg7.jpg

Rangers-bound Craig Bryson, and his replacement Engin Bekdemir (right)

“I was obviously hugely disappointed with losing Craig Bryson, but we couldn’t stand in the way of him joining a club of Rangers’ size,” commented Zvunka. “I didn’t think we’d get Engin to be honest, so when he agreed to come it felt like Christmas! He will be a huge force in our title push this season. Now, looking at the spine of our team, we are extremely strong: Zelazny in goals has made my French U21 squads, Steven Old is ever-reliable at centre half, Rémi Elissalde is one of the best natural ball-winners I’ve ever seen, while Engin and van Dijk will give any opposing defence a torrid time. I’m delighted with the additions we’ve been able to make, and there will be no excuses if we don’t take the title now.”

Listening to the gaffer, you cannot help but be excited as a Killie fan. Onwards and upwards as they say!

Kilmarnock manager Thierry Zvunka was speaking to supporter spokesperson Hugh Gibson.

---------- Post added at 03:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:01 AM ----------

xof8s2.jpg

Signings Spotlight

As promised, KillieMAD has been hard at work compiling reports on all the new recruits arriving at Rugby Park this season. Starting with the players that go straight into the first team squad, here is our scouting verdict on Thierry Zvunka’s additions to the Kilmarnock squad.

14x1c2v.jpg

Zvunka’s additions, clockwise from top left: GK Erwin Zelasny, DL Aurélien Calbou, DC Andrea Signorini, DR Chris Premel, MC Oliver Norwood, AML Azzedine Ourahou, AML Rocky Lekaj, AMC Engin Bekdemir

Erwin Zelasny – the young goalkeeper arrives from FC Nantes in France, and is well-known by the gaffer having appeared in several French U21 squads. A highly rated stopper, Zelasny combines a good aerial presence with impressive reflexes. His only real weakness in rushing out to block attackers, but at the age of 21 he has plenty of time on his side to improve. He will be no.1 this season.

Aurélien Calbou – a versatile defender who can fill in across the back line, Calbou arrives from amateur football with US Albigeoise in the French lower leagues. Solid and dependable, he will be primarily a backup player, but his presence will be crucial when games, injuries and suspensions mount deeper in to the season.

Andrea Signorini – the young loanee from Italian giants Genoa is a sweeper with a great ability to read the game. He arrives to gain some valuable match experience in a physical and demanding division, which will help to improve the defender’s physicality. Will probably be used in a rotation system by Zvunka.

Chris Premel – another amateur addition from the French lower leagues, Premel started his career at AS Monaco but didn’t quite make the grade. He has worked hard to earn another crack at full-time football, and Kilmarnock have given the versatile wing-back the chance he has craved. It seems like he has claimed the starting spot with some impressive pre-season performances, and he seemingly has bags of potential.

Oliver Norwood – the highest profile permanent signing of the summer, 20 year old midfielder Norwood arrives from the famous Manchester United youth system. A player who is comfortable on the ball and can pick a pass, expect him to feature on a regular basis this season. With centre-mid being the most competitive position in Zvunka’s squad, he’ll need to earn a starters spot with hard work and good performances.

Rémi Elissalde – tough tackling midfielders are invaluable in the First Division, and Elissalde fits the bill. Arriving on loan from Sunderland, the talented Frenchman has already drawn comparisons with Patrick Viera. If he can fulfil this promise in his first season of competitive first-team football, expect opposing teams to struggle in the engine room against this dominating figure.

Azzedine Ourahou – the oldest signing of the close season at 26, the Moroccan winger arrives to provide some experienced cover in case of injuries. Ourahou is an accomplished attacking midfielder, who is best when dribbling directly at the opposition. Can also take a mean set-piece, so expect to see him come off the bench with some regularity when goals are needed.

Rocky Lekaj – Norway international Lekaj arrives from Sheffield Wednesday on loan, and looks set to claim a starting spot. A tricky winger, who can play on either side of the pitch, he is capable of regularly getting to the byline and providing quality crosses for those in the box. Can be frustrating from time to time, but can also be sublime by the same token.

Engin Bekdemir – Killie’s most exciting arrival ever? The Turkish wonderkid pitched up from Manchester City on loan after Rangers swooped to sign Craig Bryson, and it looks like we have got a great deal overall. Having only played 2 games so far, Engin has shown perfect touch, great vision, precision in through balls and a lethal long range shooting ability. If he plays to anywhere near his potential, he could well demolish the First Division. Would easily be an SPL starter.

Other Signings

As well as building the first team squad for our title push, Thierry Zvunka has also been busy adding to the younger ranks. His contacts around Europe have thrown together a collection of youngsters from around the continent, who will now hopefully push to break into the first team setup. Several exciting players have arrived, from some famous youth systems – the list below shows the players, their positions and the clubs that they have arrived from.

Roly Bonevacia (DMC, Ajax)
Jordan Mutch (MC, Birmingham City)
Reyza Soudant (AML, Paris Saint-Germain)
Yusuf Unal (AML, Gladbach)
Ravel Morrison (AMR, Manchester United)
Billy Knott (AMR/AML, Chelsea)
Cedric (ST, Deportivo)
Toni Vastic (ST, Blackburn Rovers)

---------- Post added at 12:30 AM ---------- Previous post was yesterday at 03:48 PM ----------

1z4jv4y.jpg

BREAKING NEWS: Burnley sack Clarke
Saturday 24th September, 2011

5tv439.jpg

Burnley chairman Barry Kilby has tonight confirmed the sacking of Lee Clarke from the management post at Turf Moor. The 2011/12 season hasn’t started well for with the side from the north of England, currently languishing in 21st place in the Championship. Having just missed out on promotion back to the Premiership last year, finishing in 3rd place and then losing in the playoff final, Burnley had set their sights on returning to the top flight this term – as they are now fighting relegation, and the whole dressing room had reportedly lost all confidence in Clarke, they have decided to appoint a new boss.

Currently, Kilmarnock and France U21 manager Thierry Zvunka is the bookies odds-on favourite to succeed Clarke at Turf Moor. His football philosophy both on and off the field are reminiscent of the Owen Coyle revolution which brought the Clarets to the big time, and many fans see the young and talented gaffer as ideal for the role. He has taken Kilmarnock straight to the top of the Scottish First Division this season, and the team impressively remain unbeaten in all competitions (including a League Cup win against SPL Motherwell). His CV certainly seems good enough – whether he would entertain a move so early in his club management career remains to be seen.

More to follow.

---------- Post added at 02:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:30 AM ----------

2cipsx.jpg

October 2011 Edition

What does the future hold for Burnley FC – Zvunka for manager?

With the sacking of Lee Clarke, Burnley have made public the worst-kept secret in English football. Clarke was a dead man walking, with the dressing room against him and the fans angry with key transfer decisions made during the close season. Now that he has departed Turf Moor for good, what now for the Clarets?

It isn’t difficult to see where Burnley have gone wrong this season. With only one addition to the squad in loanee centre back Craig Cathcart, they have failed to fill the holes where the team has been left depleted. Wingers Chris Eagles and Bobby Convey were key creative forces last season, and commanded decent transfer fees during the summer to leave for pastures new. Inexplicably, however, Clarke didn’t feel the need to fill the void. Now, at the beginning of October, we can see that Burnley’s main problem is – shock horror – chance creation.

As for Barry Kilby, he has to get the next appointment right, or the club could enter a period of serious freefall down the leagues. So where do you find a talented manager willing to take on such an arduous and thankless task until the end of the season? Step forward the favourite candidate for the role, Thierry Zvunka. He may not be well known south of the border, but Zvunka has been causing ripples of excitement in both Scotland and France with his all-around football management potential. Having already clinched an important international tournament in the European U21 Championship with his young French team, the young gaffer has also been in charge of Scottish side Kilmarnock since June this year. Now, 14 games into the season, his side remain unbeaten (winning all but 2) and having taken an SPL scalp in the cup in Motherwell. Two manager of the month awards out of two shows that he’s on the right track!

This may seem unremarkable to some readers, but to emphasize the point it is Zvunka’s “all-around package” that has the football world intrigued. An ardent supporter of youth development, and a purveyor of attacking possession football (think like a less skilful Barcelona) Thierry Zvunka is a young manager with very traditional beliefs. He is as focused on the club as a whole as he is the first team, and Kilmarnock seem to have already benefited enormously from his work ethic – perhaps the best example of this is young Killie midfielder Reyza Soudant; he arrived from French giants PSG with battered pride and a lack of self-confidence…fast forward 2 months, and he has broken through into the first team at Rugby Park, scoring in both appearances he has made so far. Zvunka is more than a talented manager, he is a leader, and a real figurehead for the club that employs him.

The man himself remains refreshingly humble and down-to-earth, as FFT finds out when we met him for an interview. Smartly dressed, with a hint of the ‘windswept’ appearance, he seems at ease with anyone and everything in life. Still, this is before we berate him with your questions…

Q: You’ve had an impressive start to club management with Kilmarnock – how, though, would you respond to the criticism that you aren’t experienced enough for the Burnley job?

A: Firstly, can I just point out that I haven’t been offered anything, or heard anything, from Burnley…and as long as that’s the case I am delighted to be working at Rugby Park. To answer your question, however, I would probably say that people tend to forget that I didn’t start management a few months ago. I’ve been managing the French U21 side since the summer of 2009, and we became European champions just this summer, so myself and the backroom team must be doing something right!

Q: As this is the first ‘major’ job vacancy to appear in English club football this season, and there will doubtless be many more to come, how long can you see yourself staying with Kilmarnock?

A: To be honest, the press can speculate all they want, and I’ll just concentrate on my project here at Kilmarnock. If someone makes an official approach, I will consider my options there and then – until that time comes, I have a lot of work to plough through here to get this club where I want them to be.

It seems like Zvunka is trying to answer all our Burnley-related questions in one fell swoop! Perhaps it’s time to move on to other matters…

Q: What would you consider to be ‘success’ in your current job?

A: Winning the league this season, and re-establishing the club in the SPL is my immediate priority. Further than that, re-establishing the club in the community is just as important. Attendances haven’t been great, and we are aiming to bring the Killie faithful back to Rugby Park through the way we play football and the type of club we run. Naturally, a club that breeds it’s own players through the ranks and into the first team will have more for it’s supporters to follow and relate to.

Q: We have already seen some of your self-declared “youth” signings breaking through, with impressive results. How have you brought these young guys along?

A: Well, the key is my backroom team. They have all been allocated different aspects of training, to further enhance the young lads – that’s the theory anyway! My job is to oversee everything, and to instill confidence in the boys. A happy and confident young man will develop at a much faster rate than an unhappy or unsettled one, so making them feel wanted by the whole club makes a world of difference.

Q: Your playing career didn’t hit the heights in the end – how would you advise a youth player to progress if it were clear that they weren’t going to make the grade at the top level?

A: Is that a compliment or criticism? (compliment! FFT) Ah, just checking! Well the best way to look at it is that there is a level for everyone to excel at, be it in the top leagues or at amateur level. What matters more is your attitude and approach when it comes to challenges like these. I had a great time playing down the levels, and so should any young player if they don’t quite reach the upper echelons.

FFT: Thanks Thierry.

Thierry Zvunka: No problem, thanks for coming!

...so there you have it, the man described in France as the ‘next Arsène Wenger’. Some of the similarities are striking, but it is clear that Zvunka will need to reign back in his overall commitments as a club manager as he progresses up the levels. Would he be a good fit for Burnley? Absolutely! Will he pitch up at Turf Moor? Time will tell…

While you speculate on his eventual destination, check out Kilmarnock’s results so far this season – they make for some impressive reading!

frkls.jpg

Last edited:
Great layout and writing mate, good luck

Cheers mate, nice to have someone drop me a comment...was beginning to think that no-one was bothering to read this!

A few updates are waiting to come...

np1253.jpg

Scottish Challenge Cup final preview
Sunday 13th November 2011

2nhqhr5.jpg
2z3qjyx.jpg

Today, the first silverware of the Scottish football season is up for grabs. Scottish First Division sides Kilmarnock and Raith Rovers meet at the Falkirk Stadium to compete for the League Challenge Cup. The least prestigious of the Scottish cups, the Challenge Cup is competed for by clubs in Divisions 1, 2 and 3. Essentially, it offers lower league clubs a realistic chance of silverware in a nation where the Old Firm dominate most competitions.

Kilmarnock are the favourites to win the cup, having negotiated a tricky route to the final by knocking out 3 fellow First Division sides (Partick Thistle, Dumbarton and Dunfermline) as well as the top side in the Second Division (Livingston). Unbeaten in all competitions this season, we are still waiting to find a real weakness in Thierry Zvunka’s team – They are solid in defence, quick and strong in midfield and full of pace and flair going forward. Engin Bekdemir is the key man in this Killie side, pulling the strings from the attacking midfield hole – if he gets space and time, expect plenty of clear cut chances and a victory for Zvunka’s side. Another man to look out for is Rocky Lekaj…if he is able to cut inside from the right flank, he can unleash fierce left-footed piledrivers on goal to test even the best goalkeepers.

Raith Rovers have had an easier path to the Falkirk Stadium, knocking out 2 Third Division sides (Arbroath and East Fife), a Second Division side (Peterhead) and only 1 fellow First Division team (Clyde). Despite this, they will offer a stern test to this seemingly unbeatable Killie side – currently sitting second in the league, just 4 points behind today’s opponents, Raith were unlucky not to defeat today’s opponents at Starks Park earlier in the season. John McGlynn has moulded a tough and resilient side, full of youthful energy and pace to threaten any centre-back pairing. Expect to see balls regularly played over the top of the defence, in an attempt to set talisman Graham Weir through on goal. They are susceptible to aerial attack, however, as their defensive line lacks any genuine height.

With both sides placing the emphasis on attack, this promises to be a great game of football for the watching neutral fan. This is the only lower league game each season to carry TV coverage, and these two sides should serve up as good an advert as any for the excitement level of the much maligned lower rungs of the Scottish football system.

Article by Chick Young

np1253.jpg

Killie clinch Challenge Cup
Kilmarnock 2-0 Raith Rovers: Chick Young at The Falkirk Stadium

2nhqhr5.jpg
2z3qjyx.jpg

Thierry Zvunka has won his first piece of club football silverware after Kilmarnock won an entertaining Challenge Cup final this afternoon. In truth, the final scoreline flattered the Kirkcaldy side, as it could and should have been a greater margin of victory.

The first half was largely even, with Kilmarnock controlling most of the possession and Raith looking to hit their opponents on the counter. In the end, there were no clear cut chances, with efforts on goal from both sides being restricted to long range shots – the best of these came courtesy of young Killie playmaker Engin Bekdemir, smashing off the crossbar from fully 30 yards.

The second half exploded into life after just 5 minutes play, with the first goal of the game. Some neat and tidy passing in the Kilmarnock midfield led to Rocky Lekaj gaining possession on the right wing, from where he cut inside and ran directly at the Raith centre-backs. By drawing the defenders towards him, Lekaj created space for striker Conor Sammon to ghost into behind the defensive line, who he slipped through and left the simple task of passing the ball into the net passed Rovers keeper Sammy Monin.

Sammon’s goal sparked the game into life, but importantly Killie continued to dominate possession. Chances came and went, with Raith guilty of missing a one-on-one through Graham Weir when it seemed easier to score, until Italian defender Andrea Signorini clinched the trophy in the first minute of injury time. Substitute Gavin Skelton whipped in a corner, which caused a penalty box scramble, and the ball broke kindly for the loanee from Genoa at the back post.

Overall, it was a deserved victory for the favourites, who controlled the game intelligently and used the ball better than their hard-working opponents. Signorini collected the man of the match award, having put in a dominating defensive performance capped off with a goal for his side. In the end, it wasn’t the exciting game we had all hoped for, with both sides having a genuine chance to win – what it became was a display of intent and promise from a Kilmarnock side that appear to be going places.

29oful4.jpg

The victorious Kilmarnock players celebrate their cup success

34rhz6h.jpg

A legend is born? Scotland (and France) have a bright new hope
Sunday 1st January 2012

It may have escaped your attention, but the last 6 months has seen the arrival of possibly the most exciting figure the football world has seen for years. Since Jose Mourinho burst onto the scene, European football has been on the lookout for the next managerial talent waiting to arrive at the top table. We have had false dawns, with the likes of Paul Ince falling to the gaffer’s graveyard under the intense pressure of media and fan scrutiny, but there may just be a candidate about to break through that is the real deal – Thierry Zvunka.

Up until the past summer, Zvunka was only really known to a handful of lower-league Scottish fans outside of France. That all changed, however, with the rookie gaffer leading the French U21 side to the European Championship. Some argued that it was an unremarkeable achievement, given that the French had one of the best talent pools available anywhere in the world at the level. Nevertheless, he moulded 23 young men into a squad that swept the floor with Europe’s elite young prospects. Thierry Zvunka had arrived on the scene.

Next, he took the reigns at Kilmarnock as his first role in club management. The club had just been relegated from the SPL, and needed an overhaul. Now, we are entering the January transfer window, and his Killie side sit comfortably atop the First Division, with a trophy already in the cabinet. Again, this may seem unremarkable, as the club were expected to bounce back up to the top flight. What makes Zvunka remarkable is his current record in football management. As 2012 arrives, he has presided over 49 competitive games (31 at Kilmarnock): his record reads 41 wins, 8 draws, 0 losses.

That’s right – NO LOSSES!!!

Now, journalists all over Europe are sitting up and taking notice. Among the jobs that he has been strongly linked to recently are clubs in England (Burnley, West Brom and Sheffield United), France (USBCO and Amiens SCF) and Italy (Napoli). Given that he signed only a 2 year deal at Rugby Park, it seems certain that Kilmarnock will not hold onto their manager for too much longer. Given this initial success, it is perhaps no surprise that he has reportedly left his role with the French U21's to concentrate on his future club-based career. Where he ends up is anyone’s guess – what is clear is that Thierry Zvunka has a great chance of emulating the great managers in world football, and carving himself a reputation in his own right.

35ldn9i.jpg

Article by Andy Gray for Sky Sports News

Nice, well written, good layout and most importantly awesomely managed :p I'm definitely going to follow :)

Status
Not open for further replies.