"A Hardman Winger?" The Career of Thierry Zvunka

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the comments guys, was beginning to worry that no-one was reading any of this! Cheers for taking the time to post your thoughts...I'll try to keep the updates coming. :)

35c06et.jpg

Red Devils unlucky in narrow away defeat

33k9o5v.jpg

Sweden 1-0 Belgium - Wednesday 27th March 2013

Belgium slumped to an expected defeat away to group favourites Sweden in the latest World Cup 2014 qualifier this evening, despite putting in an impressive performance. In the end, a defensive lapse proved costly as Swedish centre-back Andreas Granqvist converted a free header from a first half corner. Overall, however, the Swedes were extremely lucky to take three points away from the game, as the Red Devils were much more dangerous while in possession and were let down in the main by poor finishing, Mehdi Carcela being the main culprit.

In a match of few chances, it was inevitable that the more clinical side would get the job done, and the Swedes obliged by taking their only real clear-cut opportunity while Carcela and target man Romelu Lukaku spurned several good chances. Having said that, the Belgians were expected to be roundly beaten, so their impressive performance in perhaps the hardest game of this group stage on paper has given cause for optimism among the fans.

In the post-match press conference, Thierry Zvunka was clearly disappointed, saying, “We should have taken at least a point back to Brussels, quite simply. Our football was a joy to watch at times, and I was delighted with our work rate and composure going forward – however, our defenders are living on borrowed time at the moment…I’ll ring the changes if they can’t improve their concentration and decisiveness, there is simply no excuse for the lapses we’re seeing at international level.” On the other hand, he still believes that the Red Devils are in pole position, telling HLN, “Despite this loss, we still sit atop the group. Where else would we want to be? As for some people saying that the pressure is getting to us, I’d tell them to watch the re-run of this game impartially and think again. We welcome the chase!”

2q3otnq.jpg

Mehdi Carcela: poor performance

4gg7bd.jpg

Top Story: Recreativo target rising star Thierry Zvunka
Monday 8th April 2013

1p83l5.jpg

Could Thierry Zvunka be moving to Nuevo Columbino?

Liga Adelante side Recreativo de Huelva are understood to have made up-and-coming young manager Thierry Zvunka their first choice to succeed Paco Flores in the Nuevo Columbino hotseat. Zvunka, who is currently in charge of SPL over-achievers Kilmarnock, has been rumoured to be leaving the club at the end of the season, and the pre-season league favourites may be ready to offer him a new challenge. Currently sitting 6 points outside the promotion places with 11 games remaining, Recreativo have failed to meet expectations this season, and have acted quickly to try and salvage their campaign with the sacking of Flores – however, MARCA understands that Zvunka would only be interested in leaving his current position after the conclusion of the SPL season, so a caretaker appointment would be required in the meantime.

The Andalucian club are reported to be offering the Scots-Frenchman, who is also head coach of the Belgian national side, a wage budget of around £85,000 per week and a transfer kitty of £1 million. With the Liga Adelante being notoriously difficult to get out of, this may seem slightly tight initially, but Zvunka excels in utilizing whatever resources are made available to him. One pre-requisite of his arrival, however, may be investment in the youth setup, with facilities only rated as “average” by the Spanish FA. The current crop of players is widely believed to be underachieving, as many pundits rate the squad as one of the best in the league, and promotion should be within easy reach.

Sources at both clubs have indicated that Zvunka is not expected to make a decision imminently, and we may need to wait until June for a definitive answer. The worry for fans of Recreativo in the meantime will be that another club could step in with a more tempting proposition for the in-demand gaffer. Watch this space!

Guillaume Balague

kc12td.jpg

Killie players come together to round off successful 2012/13 season
Saturday 11th May 2013

After a disappointing slump in form following the League Cup final, Kilmarnock finally managed to raise their game and end the 2012/13 campaign on a positive note with back-to-back victories. Previously, the side had failed to take three points from any games following the cup loss, as injuries ravaged an already inexperienced squad, but the seasoned campaigners made their presence felt on return as St Johnstone and Hamilton were put to the sword.

Finishing in 8th place in the SPL is a fantastic achievement for the club, given the size of our budget compared to other sides in the league. Team spirit has been the key, as was shown by the slump mentioned previously, but it must also be mentioned that the younger members of the squad have stepped up with maturity beyond their years – this season’s player of the season elect, and candidate for SPL young player of the season, Oliver Norwood typifies the impact that the youth have had on the club’s success. Now that there are solid foundations in place, with a talented and hungry playing staff coupled with some excellent prospects in the lower ranks, it seems that Kilmarnock are once again in the top flight for keeps!

The main debating point now with the league concluding is the position of the manager; Thierry Zvunka has been rumoured to be leaving this summer for months now, but has refused to comment on the speculation. Now, it has emerged that a press conference has been arranged for Wednesday next week, so it seems that we will finally have a conclusion to the saga. As for the Recreativo job that he had been offered, it has now been given to another manager on a permanent basis, so we may find out the fallout from that decision as well. Even if Thierry does see out his contract until the end of the next campaign, he is clearly destined for bigger things, and every Killie fan should be truly grateful for the way that he has saved our club from oblivion. Indeed, coming 3rd in the SPL Manager of the Year voting shows just how good a job Zvunka has done at Rugby Park.

Over the course of the season, several players have played a key part in our success. Those in with a shout of taking the player of the season are:

28s7sl0.jpg

Oliver Norwood – By far the favourite, the Northern Irish playmaker has been our major creative force in the league, providing 15 assists in 31 games. Still just 22 years old, he has also become a mainstay in his national side, and now owns 7 caps. There will be plenty of interest in his services come the transfer window, but it will take at least £2 million to prise him away.

2ns2tdx.jpg

Henry O’Connor – The rising Irish star claimed the left-back berth after an impressive pre-season, and never looked back! Commanding in the air and nimble on the deck, he has provided a composure and calmness far beyond his 19 years, and made his way into the senior international setup. With reported interest from Championship clubs down south, it would seem likely that he will move on to greater things in the near future.

29ojvv4.jpg

Marvin Matip – Playing the role of anchorman is never easy, but the German took to it like a duck to water. Arriving on a free to bolster the squad, Matip was another to secure his first team place after a good pre-season, and continued to provide an effective link between defence and attack all season long. A simple, no nonsense midfielder, he broke up several threatening moves over the campaign, and managed to chip in with 2 goals himself – not a bad return!

Here's hoping that we can hold onto our key men while the window remains ominously open this summer - given that the club's finances are still not perfect, it may well be that offers approaching the millions will be too much to turn down for any player, no matter how valuable. If Zvunka is set to leave, it is vital that his successor is chosen as a man who will continue his legacy; hopefully a legacy that will last for generations to come in our club and Scottish football as a whole.

Last edited:
Sorry in advance, but I don't understand the interest in these kind of pieces of writing. I can't see how grown men can find stories like these captivating and enjoyable.

Sorry in advance, but I don't understand the interest in these kind of pieces of writing. I can't see how grown men can find stories like these captivating and enjoyable.

Fair enough, it's not everyone's cup of tea - I enjoy writing the articles, and not everyone will enjoy reading them. The 1 star was a bit harsh though, no? It's not as if I'm putting no effort in...

---------- Post added at 02:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:16 AM ----------

34rhz6h.jpg

BREAKING NEWS: Thierry Zvunka leaves Kilmarnock, set to walk into new job
Wednesday 15th May 2013

According to our sources, Thierry Zvunka is set as expected to leave Rugby Park today. It has emerged that after meeting the Rugby Park side’s chairman, the Scots-Frenchman has decided to seek pastures new after failing to achieve the backing that he was seeking. However, these sources are also indicating that Zvunka has already got a job offer on the table, and is very close to accepting the proposal.

There are already different rumours as to the club making the offer for one of the game’s rising managerial talents, with the most plausible being Deportivo, Feyenoord and Nantes – all three are looking for a new gaffer following seasons of under-achievement in their respective leagues, and Zvunka seems to fit the bill in each case. Deportivo and Nantes have just been relegated from the top leagues in their respective countries, while Feyenoord missed out on European qualification with an abject performance in the Dutch playoffs; The Spanish club may be a long shot, however, given that they have insecure finances and are dropping down from Liga BBVA cashflow.

With his agent having cancelled the scheduled press conference for Thierry this afternoon, it seems as if his next move is imminent – all that remains to be seen is where he turns up in the next couple of days!

As reported by Jim White

Good luck in your new job if you leave.

Good luck in your new job if you leave.

Cheers Chris, I'll have the next update on here tonight at some point which will reveal all! :)

---------- Post added at 05:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:09 PM ----------

2mgjnme.jpg

Press Conference transcript: New Manager unveiled
Thursday 16th May 2013

2v8mu7q.jpg

Finally, the wait is over; Thierry Zvunka has been revealed as the new manager of Feyenoord Rotterdam. The Scots-Frenchman was unveiled this afternoon to a packed press conference having left Scottish Premier League team Kilmarnock just a day earlier. Enjoying a rising reputation in the game, Zvunka started his backroom career just three years ago with the French U21 national side, winning the European U21 Championship, before moving into club management. Having also taken control of the full Belgian national side last season, Zvunka will balance both roles in tandem – something he has been able to do successfully in the past. Club chairman **** van Well opened the press conference with a brief statement, followed by Thierry Zvunka’s thoughts, and finally a question-and-answer session as shown in the transcript below.
“Feyenoord Football Club are pleased to unveil Thierry Zvunka as our new manager. Thierry joins having left Scottish side Kilmarnock FC, and is a young and talented replacement for the departed Mario Been. He has a proven track record which impressed the board of directors, as well as a refreshing honesty and commendable work ethic in developing youth players into the stars of tomorrow. We firmly believe that Thierry is the right man to lead this club going forward and bring the good times back to Rotterdam.”

“De Club van Zuid would like to thank the fans for their ongoing support despite the disappointment of last season, and hope that their continuing loyalty and passion will help our new manager to push this great club forward to the pinnacle of Dutch and even European football. I will now pass on to Thierry, who I’m sure would like to say a few words.”

“Thanks ****. I’m over the moon to be taking the reins at such a famous club so early in my career. Feyenoord is a worldwide brand, and as such the fans deserve better than missing out on European football. This will be my immediate aim, and I’ll be looking to secure Champions League football, while competing for all the domestic trophies on offer. This club has so much potential, I guess it could be labelled a sleeping giant – the setup behind the scenes really sold the move to me. The De Kuip stadium is magnificent, and the training facilities are excellent. I was particularly impressed by the youth academy, as my philosophy is based around developing young talent to progress through the club into the first team.”

“Can I just put on record my thanks to Kilmarnock, my previous club. The two years that I spent at Rugby Park were the best two years of my life, the fans were superb and the playing staff always gave their all. I wish them every success in the future, and hope that the chairman can continue the work that we started together to put the club on a solid financial footing looking to the future. I will continue to look out for their results, and would very much like to take my new side over to Ayrshire for a pre-season friendly if the schedule allows it, giving me a chance to properly thank everyone involved there.”
Alongside the usual questions when a manager is unveiled, there was an interesting sideline – Zvunka’s future had become quite a saga in the UK, with several clubs linked to his services. It turns out that Feyenoord weren’t the only offer that he had on the table:
“I was approached by Recreativo, as you are aware, towards the SPL split. I asked them to wait until the end of the season, which they initially agreed to, but then came back a week later demanding a decision. I didn’t appreciate the way they tried to force me into putting ink on the contract, so told them in no uncertain terms to forget about it. This week, I also considered an offer from Deportivo, as had been reported, although Nantes were not in contact at any stage. There was no contest between the two in my opinion, this club was by far the more attractive proposition given the facilities and finances available to push on.”
Asked if he was in Rotterdam for the long haul, Thierry seemed positive, declaring his intentions:
“I left Kilmarnock to move up to the next level, as in all honesty I had taken the club as far as circumstances would allow. The thing is, when you look at the circumstances here at Feyenoord there is no limit to where we can go together! I am an eternal optomist, but also a firm believer in the virtues of hard work. If the players get stuck in, who knows where we’ll end up – obviously we’re currently vunerable in the transfer market, given the strength of the English and Spanish top leagues, but if we can build the club in the right way it could well be us who are to be feared in the end.”
http://www.feyenoord.nl - The official website of De Club van Zuid

Last edited:
35c06et.jpg

Belgium remain in charge of Group 8 with successive wins
Belgium 3-0 Armenia, Belgium 2-1 Austria

33k9o5v.jpg

With just 4 games left to play, Belgium continue to sit proudly atop their World Cup 2014 qualifying group after taking maximum points from the latest international double-header. The second game, against Austria, was seen as particularly key as the two sides are considered to be similar by the FIFA world rankings; the Red Devils didn’t have things all their own way, however, as they had to produce a superb late fightback to beat a dogged visiting side.

The first game, against group minnows Armenia, went largely according to plan for Zvunka’s side. Belgium totally controlled the game, pinning their opponents in their own half for most of the game; Eden Hazard and Moussa Dembélé were particularly impressive. The scoreline was stuck at 1-0 to the hosts for most of the match, until Armenia showed some attacking ambition towards the last 15 minutes and were subsequently picked off on the break.

Following a routine runout, Zvunka stuck with a similar gameplan that had swept his Red Devils to victory. Everything seemed to be going according to plan, with the Belgians once again controlling the ball, until Austrian striker Marco Arnautovic (ironically on Feyenoord’s shortlist) struck the opener from a 30-yard free kick. With just half an hour left on the clock, the gaffer acted quickly, switching to a 4-4-2 diamond system from his favoured 4-2-3-1 setup. As a result, Eden Hazard and Tom de Mul began to exert more influence on the game from the flanks, and the comeback began; first, playmaker Moussa Dembélé scored a screamer from 25 yards out after the Austrian midfield failed to close him down in the hole, then wing-back Gill Swerts popped up at the back post to clinch victory with the final kick of the 90 minutes. Naturally, the Belgian fans were elated, and celebrated the final whistle with gusto!

Now, Thierry Zvunka is left free to fully concentrate on his pre-season with Feyenoord in the Eredivisie. In the end, he didn’t have time to attend the post match press conference due to transfer dealings taking place, but it seems that the fans are more than happy to forgive the popular manager! It now seems that Belgium are in pole position to qualify automatically for the 2014 finals, and most importantly they hold their destiny in their own hands going into the final four qualifiers.

307ye6d.jpg

Moussa Dembélé had a big part to play in both matches

2mgjnme.jpg

De Club van Zuid ‘ready to go’
Saturday 3rd August 2013

2i6n47.jpg

Feyenoord are eagerly awaiting tomorrow’s opening game of the season, having completed a successful pre-season tour of Scotland and finished off with two domestic friendlies. Thierry Zvunka has been hard at work moulding his squad, and there have been several comings-and-goings at De Kuip over the last few months. As well as turnover in the playing staff, the coaching setup has also been radically changed, with John Morling once again teaming up with Thierry as his assistant manager. Details of all pre-season games are below, followed by the concluded transfers in and out of the club.

De Kuip Cup friendly tournament
Feyenoord 0-3 Stuttgart
Mathieu Delpierre (32), Jonathan Pereira (38), Obafemi Martins (47)
Att: 20076

De Kuip Cup friendly tournament
Feyenoord 4-1 Red Bull Salzburg
Fredy Montero (22,40), Giovanni van Bronckhorst (66,73) – Nikola Pokrivac (86)
Att: 19218

Tour of Scotland
Aberdeen 0-0 Feyenoord
Att: 5666

Tour of Scotland
Clyde 1-1 Feyenoord XI
Colin McMenamin (4) – Fabien Robert (80)
Att: 5339

Tour of Scotland
Rangers 1-1 Feyenoord
Steven Naismith (33) – Jonathan de Guzman (24)
Att: 18669

Tour of Scotland
Kilmarnock 1-1 Feyenoord XI
Abiodun (6.) – Vadis Odjidja (33)
Att: 5586

Pre-Season Friendly
Feyenoord 4-0 Haarlem
Fredy Montero (21), Jonathan de Guzman (52,61), Diego Biseswar (90+2)
Att: 18998

Pre-Season Friendly
MVV 1-3 Feyenoord XI
Loïc Loval (18) – James Morrison (31), Gabriel Obertan (52), Tim Vincken (82)
Att: 5631

Transfers In

DR Neil Eardley (Wigan, 650k)
MC Vadis Odjidja (Club Brugge, free)
MC Gabi (Lyon, free)
MC Femi Ajilore (FC Groningen, free)
AM Eyal Golasa (Nancy, £5.25 million)

DL Lee Wallace (Bristol City, loan)
DC Hólmar Eyjólfsson (West Ham, loan)
DC Tomas Hubocan (FC Sochaux, loan)
MC Sérgio Olivera (Porto, loan)
ST Vakhtang Pantshkava (Le Mans, loan)
ST Wendel (Atlético Mineiro, loan)

Transfers Out

GK Juan Castillo (Real Madrid, £1 million)
DC Gordon Schildenfeld (Hertha BSC, £1.5 million)
DR Dani Fernandes (Fürth, 250k)
DM Kelvin Leerdam (Deportivo, 150k)
DM Manteiga (Botafago, 100k)
AM Mitchell Schet (150k, Burnley)
AM Michel Janota (Wisla, 55k)
AM Luc Castaignos (Recreativo, 200k)
ST Kermit Erasmus (Montpellier, 200k)
ST Patrick de Reuver (Portsmouth, 150k)
ST Sekou Cissé (Auxerre, £1.5 million)

DC Stefan de Vrij (FC Twente, loan)
DR Bart Schenkeveld (Parma, loan)
MC Karim El Ahmadi (Parma, loan)

Before taking over at De Kuip, the largest fee that Thierry Zvunka had paid out for a player was the tiny sum of 18k – after this pre-season, that record is a thing of the past as he made full use of the funds made available to him. In addition to these incoming players, the gaffer has also added two younger signings to the youth ranks, and big things are expected of Ismael Ercan and David Henderson in the future: Ercan is a centre back, already known to Zvunka having been on loan at Kilmarnock the season before last, and arrives from Manchester United on a free transfer; Henderson cost a considerable £2 million from the well-known Hamilton Academical academy in Scotland, and if he can overcome some temperament issues could be a major star of the future in central midfield for De Club van Zuid.

Without doubt, the blockbuster signing of the transfer window has been cultured attacking midfielder Eyal Golasa, an Israeli international who can slot in anywhere across attacking midfield. He combines a lethal mix of creativity, pace, trickery, passing and dribbling prowess which will strike fear into the hearts of every Eredivisie defence this season. Overall, Thierry Zvunka’s wheeling and dealing has strengthened every position in the team, with particular focus on a defence that was Feyenoord’s undoing last season – behind first team centre backs Andre Bahia and Ron Vlaar, there is now genuine quality in reserve, while Lee Wallace adds another attacking threat on the break from left back. Now, having put together a first team squad of 24 players, it seems that Zvunka is satisfied with the group on the eve of the new campaign.

1o0uwp.jpg

New signings (l-r) Lee Wallace, Femi Ajilore, Eyal Golasa, Gabi and Wendel

“To tell you the truth, I can’t believe that we’ve made it to this point!” Thierry told the club website.
“There were times when it looked like we wouldn’t be able to sign up anybody, but as the summer went on clubs became more open to doing business, and we made some great moves. I’m delighted with what myself, my scouting team and backroom staff have managed to achieve in the transfer market, going both in and out of Rotterdam. Signing up Femi (Ajilore) and Gabi on free transfers particularly pleased me, as these guys are multi-million pound players who add great experience to the squad. In terms of Eyel (Golasa), at the other end of the scale, I think we have done very well to pay just over £5 million for his services. No doubt his transfer request helped negotiations, otherwise we may have been quoted closer to £10 million for his services. Don’t forget he’s still just 21, so is open to even more improvement!”
Turning the interview towards the coming campaign, Zvunka confirmed that he had settled on a ‘Plan A’ going forward.
“I have settled on a formation, and on specific roles for the 11 players on the field, with the help of my assistant. I have always been a believer in exciting attacking football, and will continue to try and entertain the fans. We will start the season with an attacking 4-2-3-1 setup, with plenty of freedom for the guys going forward and responsibility given to those at the back. Possession is key in this league, and this formation should see us control the majority of games given the talent pool available to pick from.”
If past history is a good indicator of the future, De Club van Zuid fans should prepare for plenty of goals – last season, Thierry Zvunka’s Kilmarnock side played 38 league matches, with 125 goals being scored in the process, an incredible 3.3 goals per game ratio! Expectations are high, with nothing less than European qualification an option; Zvunka and his backroom staff are quietly confident of achieving more, however, and upsetting the applecart somewhat…it promises to be the most exciting campaign that Rotterdam has seen for many years.

Can I change my rating then? I agree, my opinion on the subject shouldn't really affect the rating.

can i say i LOVE the fact your young keeper signed on loan for Rochdale <3

Can I change my rating then? I agree, my opinion on the subject shouldn't really affect the rating.

I've no idea in all honesty - maybe if you look at the top right hand side of the thread, where the "rate this thread" option is? I'm unsure whether it can be changed mind you...cheers for coming back and replying though!

can i say i LOVE the fact your young keeper signed on loan for Rochdale <3

He did quite well too, keeping 10 clean sheets that season! :)

Another update to add...

35c06et.jpg

Crunch time approaching in World Cup qualifiers

33k9o5v.jpg

Kazakhstan 0-3 Belgium, Serbia 3-1 Belgium

After an impressive friendly win away to FYR Macedonia, Belgium geared up for the toughest international double-header yet in 2014 qualifying; with both games away from home, it was imperative for Thierry Zvunka’s Red Devils to take at least 3 points back to Brussels. The first match, against minnows Kazakhstan, was widely expected to end in a comfortable victory; the second, however, provided the fans with endless worry…a trip to Serbia. In the end, the side returned with the minimum 3 point requirement to stay in the running for automatic qualification, but a loss to Serbia leaves the Belgians requiring a result against Sweden in the next fixture. The disappointment felt after the loss was made even worse by the fact that many ‘big’ players seemed to disappear under the weight of pressure and expectation, a worrying sign.

Zvunka sent out a weakened side to face the Kazakhs, with only Nicolas Lombaerts and Moussa Dembélé starting the match while expecting to start the following game. In the end, it was always comfortable for Belgium, after playmaker Dembélé ghosted through to score the opener in 23 minutes. With the lead and the vast majority of the ball, there was no hope for the opposing Kazaks in terms of equalising. In the second half, winger Geoffrey Mujangi Bia and right full-back Sepp de Roover scored their first international goals as the Red Devils sealed three points with a potentially valuable goal difference.

In Belgrade, the tactics were much more defensive – creative freedom seemed to be severely limited, with only fleeting counter attacks breaking the flow of Serbian pressure. Manchester United’s Nemanja Vidic finally broke the deadlock with 41 minutes on the clock, heading in from a set-piece – once again, the Belgian defence proving incapable of marking up properly at a dead ball situation and being punished for it. However, Eden Hazard levelled it up on the stroke of half time, after a quick counter sent Moussa Dembélé free down the left, and his inch-perfect cross was met by the oncoming midfielder. After the break, it was Serbia who took control once more, with Zigic making the most of his 6’8 frame to nod in a cross at the back post, and then Neven Subotic clinching a priceless win for the Serbs while the Red Devils threw caution to the wind in desperation.

Romelu Lukaku, seen as the talisman for this Belgian generation, once again failed to deliver on the international stage with another abject performance in a big match. If the rumour mill is to be believed, he may be a high-profile casualty of the poor display by being left out of the crucial next match at home to Sweden. Thomas Vermaelen has also been taking stick as a result of his error allowing Vidic a free header to open the scoring, but he is surely too vital to leave on the sidelines…

Overall, a report card of expectance and acceptance, but ‘must do better!’ in the future expectations column!

530bps.jpg

Romelu Lukaku still flatters to deceive in a Belgian shirt

Last edited:
I know it seemed like I was being an arsehole, but I just honestly wanted to know lol. I've given it 5stars mate :)

I know it seemed like I was being an arsehole, but I just honestly wanted to know lol. I've given it 5stars mate :)

Writing is a difficult skill and these stories are a good way for people to practise and get some feedback from a wider audience (instead of say, their parents or friends.) I'm a 'grown man' and enjoy reading this type of story -- not because it's based on FM or indeed football, but because it's good to see how peoples writing develops over the course of time.

I can also learn from reading other stories, so it's all good in my opinion :)

No problems mate, I didn't take it as an arsey comment - I appreciate that not everyone likes the stories, but in all honesty I'm doing this primarily because I enjoy writing (as sad as that sounds!) - oh, and cheers for the support Carine. If you like trying to get inspiration from articles, hopefully this one can provide some ideas...I've put a lot into this one.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2rr6tzr.jpg

Rotterdam’s favourite daily newspaper

The story behind the ‘rising star’ of football management: just who is Thierry Zvunka?
AD meets the young and exciting new Feyenoord boss

Another season, another managerial merry-go-round in the football world. By their very nature, transfers are tough to predict at the best of times, especially those of staff; perhaps the biggest surprise of recent times came after the conclusion of the 2012/13 Eredivisie season, with the announcement that Thierry Zvunka would take the De Kuip hotseat after a disappointing season for De Club van Zuid. Many people, both fans and pundits, didn’t know quite what to make of the appointment, as while the Scots-Frenchman’s rise has been impressive enough he is distinctly unproven at the highest level. What he does bring, however, is something that the loyal hourdes of Feyenoord fans have been craving for years…excitement, and by the barrel load! Overall, reaction tended to be cautious optimism with his arrival, but we at Algemeen Dagblad weren’t yet satisfied – it was time to find out just who this Thierry Zvunka really was. We met the new man in charge as the new campaign kicked into life, to get some background on the young gaffer touted as the next Arsène Wenger…

As a player, Zvunka never hit the heights. He spent a journeyman career touring the lower leagues of Scotland and France, with such clubs as Irvine Meadow, Pollok, Louhans-Cuiseaux, Toulouse Fontaines and latterly his boyhood team Clyde. Playing primarily as a left winger, he was unusual in that he was renowned for his tough tackling ability as well as his passing and trickery! During the final few years of his career, Thierry began to plan ahead towards a career in the game after hanging up his boots, sitting his coaching badges through the world-renowned SFA coaching system. He looks back on those days fondly, and it seems that they helped to form his footballing philosophy as a manager today.
“I lived and breathed football in those days, and still do, albeit in a different way. My curse was that I was a fussy player, in that I tried too hard and demanded too much of myself – when I didn’t get man of the match, my confidence took a bashing. Looking back, it seems petty, but that competitive streak has got me to where I am today. The whole reason behind my ambition to enter the world of management came with the realisation that I wasn’t good enough as a player to reach the top level, and my determination to get there by any means drove me on. What playing at those levels teaches you, however, is invaluable – I learnt humility, to appreciate each and every fan, and the importance of team spirit and unity. These things are all too often forgotten at the top of this sport in the modern game, but I will never neglect them.”
Starting his second career in the summer of 2009, just four years ago, Zvunka was surprisingly given the head coach position of France’s Under 21 side. The FFF’s appointment proved to be inspired, despite the doubters, as the untried young gun lead his talented youth players to win after win, culminating in being crowned European Championship winners. This spell would prove to be key in forming his managerial style, with youth becoming a key focus of his overall focus at club level.
“I was lucky enough to meet Raymond Domenech while touring around France watching the likes of Marseille and Lyon training, trying to absorb as much knowledge as possible. Our personalities clicked, and despite all my pre-conceptions of the man he was a gentleman. After chatting about my beliefs and plans for the future, he asked me to join the national team squad for their next friendly. In the end, he thankfully saw something in me, and had the faith to recommend me for the role – I’ll forever be indebted to the man for giving me my start in this career.”

“I loved being in charge of the boys. The success we achieved together, and the progress of each and every young talent as time went by, brought home the importance of developing youth players to me. I mean, some of my regular players improved and impressed so much that they landed moves to the likes of (Real) Madrid and Arsenal. Naturally, being a competitive sort, the fact that we were winning most of the time helped…I may well be the only unbeaten head coach of the U21 side ever! The other thing that I developed during my time in charge was my football philosophy; I always intended to be a manager that encouraged neat and tidy passing football, and this went on to become a now core belief in the virtues of possession-based attacking play.”
After success at youth international level, Thierry was keen to make his first foray into the world of club management. He finally settled on Scottish side Kilmarnock, taking over two years ago in the summer of 2011. As a club that was in severe financial difficulty and had just been demoted from the top flight, the Ayrshire side were an extremely tough ask for a debutant gaffer. Undaunted, Zvunka saw potential in a good youth system, and loyal long-suffering fans who craved for some better entertainment. He made his mark in style, winning the league and the challenge cup (for non-SPL sides) as well as reaching the semi-finals of both national cups in his first season.
“It wasn’t the easiest first job, looking back! I had turned down a few offers, as I was waiting for a challenge that really grabbed me – then Killie approached me. Here was a club that had potential, that had been through some tough times of late but hadn’t yet fallen too far to bounce back. I couldn’t turn them down. The first season couldn’t have gone better; in the end, the league couldn’t cope with the style of football, coupled with the youthful energy and passion, that my team produced every week. The only negative came from the finances, given that the debt remained hanging over the club like a noose…SPL survival was the only option going forward.”
…and he delivered, in fine style. An upgraded Killie squad shocked the more established order from the start, defeating champions Celtic in the opener, before settling in a comfortable mid-table position and reaching a national cup final. Despite losing said final on penalties, Zvunka maintains that he learned his most valuable lesson to date that night. Perhaps the most impressive aspect of the 2012/13 campaign was Thierry’s emerging talent in spotting potential; his marquee youth signings, Jon Larrainzar and Henry O’Connor, arrived in Ayrshire for a combined total of £18,000. A year on, they have both moved on, and added a cumulative £4 million to the strained Killie coffers!
“I was so proud of my squad last season. We had by far the smallest budget in the league, and struggled to strengthen other than through free transfers and progressing the youth players, but we achieved survival comfortably. Not only that, but we did it while playing some really exciting stuff. Mind you, the biggest lesson that I learned last season came with a defeat, in the League Cup final. As someone who had been lucky enough to avoid the experience of defeat too often, it hit me too hard…I reacted immaturely, and it affected the squad in the weeks after as we went on a poor run. That night, I learnt that my competitiveness is an asset, but only if controlled in the right manner; showing more class in the aftermath would have been much more beneficial. In the end, I’ve learnt from my mistake, so it was a valuable lesson to learn so early in my managerial career.”
35cre4g.jpg

Zvunka achieved unparallelled results at Kilmarnock - can he bring similar levels of success to De Kuip?

Having left the French U21’s during his tenure at Rugby Park, Zvunka re-emerged on the international scene during the last campaign, this time stepping up to be in charge of a senior national team in Belgium. As we go to print, it is a case of so far so good for the Red Devils under his command, sitting atop group 8 of World Cup 2014 qualifying with just two games remaining. For a side that was merely expected to challenge for the playoff spot, this constitutes a spectacular success.
“One of my major ambitions was to take over a senior national team, so when Belgium came calling I couldn’t say no. With the squad still being reasonably young, and very talented, it has been too long since the country last graced a major tournament. Now, we’re withing touching distance of Brazil…the upcoming game with Sweden will be almost a winner-takes-all group decider, given that they then face Serbia in the final group game. I’ve taken the same mentality to the Red Devils, albeit having been forced to reign in slightly. Obviously, there is no-where to hide at international level, so I’ve given more support to the defence than I would at club level. It seems to be working so far, and long may it continue!”
So, now for the burning issue of today – De Club van Zuid, Feyenoord of Rotterdam. What can we expect for the future of our once-dominant club? Expectations remain as high as ever, will Thierry be able to cope with the first real expectations of his blossoming career? A quietly self-confident figure, who has a real presence in our interview room, he seems to have no worries; instead, it seems that all Zvunka can speak of are his plans for a brighter future, with no hint of doubt in their imminent arrival.
“When the offer came from the club, there was no way I could turn it down. I considered the job for all of 5 seconds, before accepting immediately down the phoneline! Feyenoord is still a massive club, no matter what anyone says; the facilities, from the expanding stadium to the training facilities, are world-class; the fans are ever-loyal and really get behind the players; guys from all over Europe would do anything to play at De Kuip, I hardly need to sell the club to any potential recruits.”

“However, this is not to say that we cannot improve – I’m aiming to build this club into the powerhouse of Dutch football once more, and we’re talking in the near future here. If we make the right moves, in terms of adding youth talent and developing our own young lads, the net result will be more talent and/or more money to improve the squad. Given that I believe my squad is good enough to challenge for the Eredivisie as it is, things are looking bright for the future of this great organisation.”
As we draw our meeting to a close, Algemeen Dagblad cannot help but be swept up in Thierry Zvunka's enthusiasm, and his grand plans and expectations for the future. Given that this represents his first truly big challenge in club management, it seems surprising that the fanbase are so confident of success with the Scots-Frenchman at the helm…on the other hand, it seems that we have also been caught up in the hype! Whatever the 2013/14 season brings, it promises to be an exciting time one way or the other with such a character at the helm of Rotterdam's finest.

Last edited:
Excellent update m8 -- like reading a real article in World Soccer Magazine, lol :) The good thing is, it 'feels' real, which I suppose is the best compliment I can make?

Excellent update m8 -- like reading a real article in World Soccer Magazine, lol :) The good thing is, it 'feels' real, which I suppose is the best compliment I can make?

That'll do for me haha! Cheers mate, much appreciated. :)

Beyond me why you only have 2 pages worth mate, great story, great writing. I undertand how much you put into this, but trust me, your result is superb. Smashing story and good luck with the new team :)

Status
Not open for further replies.