"A Hardman Winger?" The Career of Thierry Zvunka

Status
Not open for further replies.
xof8s2.jpg

2011/12 Season – The “Halfway House” roundup

2ahnio.jpg

Wednesday 1st February 2012

With the January transfer window having slammed shut, we are now past the mid-way point of the 2011/12 season. So far, it couldn’t have gone more to plan for Killie, sitting comfortably at the top of the First Division, winning the Challenge Cup and playing at the national stadium in a League Cup semi-final. Given the success that he has already brought to Rugby Park, the only blot on our mid-term report card is that gaffer Thierry Zvunka seems to be getting linked with every job going! Among the latest clubs to take an interest are reportedly Portsmouth, Olympique de Marseille and even Rangers in case of Walter Smith departing the managerial scene in June.

Speaking of the manager, he has now lost his incredible unbeaten record in football management, which lasted an impressive 53 games before the 2-1 loss to Rangers at Hampden. Now that injuries are beginning to bite for the first time, and the youth players are filling the gaps, we may see a few more as we enter the final push – importantly, as he aimed to before the season began in earnest, Thierry has given us plenty of points in hand to help us through.

We made only one first team addition of note in the transfer window, with young Turkish defender Ismail Ercan arriving on loan from Manchester United until the end of the season. Brought in to provide cover, let’s hope he can have as much of an impact as Engin Bekdemir, his fellow ‘young turk’! Leaving the club was young striker Daniel McKay, joining Dagenham & Redbridge on a free after Zvunka deemed him as surplus to requirements.

Once again, the youth section of the playing squad has been strengthened. Listed below are the incoming youngsters, their positions and the clubs that they have joined from:

Timo Horn (GK, Köln)
Henry O’Connor (DL, Drogheda United)
Jon Larrainzar (DC, Castellón)
Philipp Klement (MC, Kaiserslautern)
John Marsden (ST, Celtic)

Given that several members of the youth setup have made the step up to the first team so far this season, including Reyza Soudant and Toni Vastic, these new recruits will be hoping to push on to the next stage of their careers at Rugby Park. Let’s hope that they make the grade!

In other transfer news, Gavin Skelton, Mehdi Taouil and Mark Burchill have signed bosman deals to leave the club at the end of the season. Thierry Zvunka decided not to renew their contracts, and they have all agreed moves that will be concluded during June. I am sure that all Killie fans will thank the guys for their efforts during their time at the club, and will enjoy watching them continue to help the squad clinch the title and promotion.

As Things Stand…
  • We lead the league by 15 points, with 11 games left to go
  • We have won the Challenge Cup
  • We reached the semi-final of the League Cup, losing out to Rangers
  • We are in the Scottish Cup 5th round, where we face Dunfermline
  • We (for the moment) still have Thierry Zvunka as manager
Onwards and Upwards!

1z4jv4y.jpg

Kilmarnock win Scottish First Division

25f2j4g.jpg

Kilmarnock 2-1 Greenock Morton - Saturday 31st March 2012

Kilmarnock have today clinched the league title with 4 games to spare by defeating Greenock Morton at Rugby Park. Having led the way since day one, this confirmation of the club’s return to the SPL has delighted both the fans and the board. The manager, Thierry Zvunka, has now led the side to two trophies this season.

Favourites from the outset, Kilmarnock have dominated the division with their unique brand of attacking football, routinely controlling over two-thirds of possession in matches and scoring some spectacular goals along the way. This game, however, will not be remembered as a classic. Having drawn their previous two matches without scoring, Killie desperately needed to get back on the goal trail, and young playmaker Engin Bekdemir obliged with a powerful poachers effort in the 17th minute. The first half drew to a close without any other incident of note, but Morton came out fighting after half time, finally equalising in 64 minutes after an error by stand-in keeper Eloy Room. Killie were not to be prevented from getting their hands on the trophy, however, as target man Sergio van Dijk slammed in the winner with 85 minutes on the clock. The final whistle brought scenes of delirious celebration from the 4964 fans in attendance as Zvunka’s side returned to the top flight.

Interviewed after the game, Thierry Zvunka was naturally delighted with his players. “I arrived in the summer aiming to win the league title first and foremost, and I am pleased that we have done it today. The boys have done me proud, putting in 100% commitment and being rewarded with 2 trophies in the cabinet.” As for the future, Zvunka would only look towards the next few weeks. “We have a Scottish Cup semi-final to prepare for at Celtic Park, so that is now our main target. As far as league games go, we will be blooding the youngsters in an effort to give them experience while keeping the main lads fresh. We ran Rangers close in the League Cup, so there is no reason why we can’t give Celtic a game.”

When questioned on his future after the season concludes, Zvunka refused to be drawn. “Look, I just want to enjoy this moment, and not talk about speculation. I’m fully committed to this club, and that’s all that matters right now. I’ll be preparing for the SPL unless something concrete actually happens, and it hasn’t so far. That’s all you’re getting!”

Killie fans are hailing Ergin Bekdemir as the main reason behind their success this season – the young playmaker on loan from Manchester City has made 25 appearances during the campaign, chipping in with 7 goals and 16 assists. The young Turk has already thanked the fans for making his loan spell so enjoyable, and with City reportedly willing to offload him fans are hoping he could yet remain at Rugby Park. For now, they will be more concerned with their Sunday morning hangovers!

j8i5fp.jpg

The Killie players celebrate van Dijk’s late title-clinching strike

xof8s2.jpg

Killie young‘stars’ round off 2011/12 season in style

2eoz4sy.jpg

A packed Rugby Park on the final day

In an encouraging finish to the season, Kilmarnock have won their last 2 league games with team selections full of youth prospects. After losing to Celtic in the Scottish Cup semi-final, Thierry Zvunka decided to give our brightest young talents a chance to shine alongside the experienced campaigners, and they grabbed the opportunity impressively. In our penultimate match, away to Dumbarton, the Killie young guns dominated the game to take a comfortable 3-1 victory (conceding in injury time). The three goal were all scored by incoming youth players – wingers Yusuf Ünal and Billy Knott on their senior debuts, along with striker Toni Vastic. To round off the season, Queen of the South were swept aside 1-0, with loanee Rocky Lekaj scoring the final goal of the campaign.

It has been a satisfying campaign with plenty to offer encouragement, such as the aforementioned young players developing well in the reserve and youth teams, as well as the first team performing brilliantly in all competitions (losing only three matches all season, two to either half of the Old Firm). Now, the time has come to build a squad capable of coping at SPL level, and Thierry Zvunka has already started the process of scouting potential signings.

The end of season awards brought double joy for the club, as Thierry Zvunka and Engin Bekdemir collected the First Division Manager and Player of the Year awards. It was expected that the pair would take the prizes, and they are a fitting reward for their respective outstanding campaigns. As is the way of the football world, the gaffer is continually being linked with top jobs around Europe as a result of his success, and perhaps our greatest challenge in the close season will be holding on to his services – KillieMAD understands that a new contract is in the pipeline, given that Zvunka’s deal expires at the end of next season.

With two trophies won and a new vibrancy around the club as a whole, the 2011/12 season will go down in the history books as a very positive step in the esteemed history of Kilmarnock Football Club.

9jnj4p.jpg
erwk5j.jpg
9jnj4p.jpg

Going well so far mate.Are you going to take a bigger job if it comes up or just develop the team here?

Going well so far mate.Are you going to take a bigger job if it comes up or just develop the team here?

To be honest, I'm just taking things as they come. If a good job offer comes along, I'll have to consider it - unfortunately, it seems that Killie's debt is going to be severely limiting to money available. For now, I'll keep the suspense growing...after all, I'm playing "in character", who knows what will happen! :D

35c06et.jpg

Belgium make surprise appointment

2uhl185.jpg

15th June 2012

The Royal Belgian Football Association (KBVB) have chosen Thierry Zvunka as their new national team manager. Zvunka, who is currently in charge of Scottish club side Kilmarnock, will attempt to balance the workload of the two jobs, which has caused some slight concern in the Belgian fanbase. However, the general reaction to the new man has been overwhelmingly good, with most seeing Zvunka as the ideal man for the job. The young Scots-Frenchman was unveiled earlier today at a packed press conference.

“We are delighted to announce that Thierry Zvunka will become our new senior head coach with immediate effect,” started KBVB chairman François de Keersmaecker. He went on to discuss the reasons for the FA’s decision, continuing, “Thierry has a proven track record working with talented young players at international level, through his success with the French U21 side. Given that we have a great generation of new young talent emerging, we are confident that they will benefit from the guidance and positive influence that Thierry provides. Furthermore, he has proven his ability to develop young players at club level this season, and we hope to see our brightest prospects develop to the fullness of their potential under this new regime.”

As for the man himself, Thierry Zvunka was clearly delighted to have taken his first senior job in international management. “It is an honour to have been appointed by the KVBV as the head coach of Belgium,” he said with a smile. “I believe that this nation has a bright future at this level, and will be aiming to qualify for the World Cup in 2014 – given the group that we have been dealt, it seems as if we have a great chance. While our opponents will be given the greatest of respect, I believe that we should at least take a playoff spot from the group.”

On balancing his club and national jobs, Zvunka tried to allay any fears. “I left my position as France U21 manager after re-evaluating my career direction, not as a result of being unable to cope with two jobs. I had previously stated that I would stay on to lead out the side at London 2012, but it seems that the FFF had a change of heart without telling me, and were giving that role to another coach. It was at this realisation that I decided to vacate the position.”

After an impressively confident unveiling, the Belgian nation is expecting great things from their new football figurehead - as a man who has yet to experience any real failure in his career so far, they can be assured that Thierry Zvunka will give thier nation the best possible chance of relative success at international level.

The World Cup 2014 qualifying group can be found below!

xof8s2.jpg

2ahnio.jpg

Kilmarnock “all set” to start 2012/13 campaign

Pre-season has finally come to a close, and we can now look forward to the start of another season of top-flight football. It has been a turbulent summer, with the club’s perilous financial state being revealed by the chairman, and some high profile departures from Rugby Park. However, with the number of season ticket holders rising by over 800 to around 3500, and Thierry Zvunka remaining in charge for the time being, there is cause for optimism. Details of all the club’s friendly matches can be found below, including impressive showings against strong sides representing Everton and Arsenal.

Pre-Season Friendly
Kilmarnock 1-1 Everton
Sammon (34) – Cahill (53)
Att: 8861

Pre-Season Friendly
Bournemouth 2-0 Kilmarnock XI
Pitman (46, 90+3)
Att: 1798

Tour of France
Dornes Neuville Olympique 0-2 Kilmarnock
Trialist (34), Bokila (40)
Att: 414

Tour of France
Groupe Sportif Consolat 1-3 Kilmarnock XI
Vila (og 17) – Vila (pen 25), Abiodun (45+1), Fabre (og 77)
Att: 371

Tour of France
Montpellier Hérault SC 1-1 Kilmarnock
Yatabaré (48) – Matip (6.)
Att: 1617

Pre-Season Friendly
SAFFC 0-1 Kilmarnock XI
Bonevacia (16)
Att: 1264

Pre-Season Friendly
Kilmarnock 1-2 Arsenal
Bouderbal (50) – Bendtner (4), Barnetta (10)
Att: 11974

As far as transfer news goes, Thierry Zvunka revealed to KillieMAD during the summer that his wage budget would not receive any increase, despite promotion, due to the club’s financial problems. This has made bringing quality players to Rugby Park increasingly difficult for the gaffer, but he has been able to put together a squad of 23 players. Encouragingly, three of these players have stepped up from the youth setup: tall centre-back Jon Larrainzar and anchorman Roly Bonevacia will be fully-fledged squad members, while combative striker Toni Vastic is expected to contribute if injuries affect the frontmen. Some of Killie’s other young prospects have been farmed out on loan to clubs in the First and Second Division to gain valuable first-team experience.

Transfers In (1st Team Squad)

GK Paul Gallagher (St Mirren, free)
DC Francesco Bini (Perugia, loan)
DMC Marvin Matip (Köln, free)
MC Jonathan Vila (Valenciennes, loan)
MC Richard Haklander (FC Omniworld, free)
AML Rafik Bouderbal (FC Lorient, free)
AMR Jeremy Bokila (Vitesse, free)
ST Nikola Saric (Liverpool, free)

Transfers Out

GK Eloy Room (Sunderland, loan)
GK Timo Horn (Beith, loan)
DL Garry Hay (retired)
DC Steven Old (free)
DMC Steven Fowler (free)
DMC Jordan Mutch (Livingston, loan)
MC Liam Kelly (free)
AML Jordan Lowdon (Coventry, 40k)
AML Cedric (Clyde, loan)
AMR Rory McKenzie (free)
AMR Billy Knott (Queen of the South, loan)
AMC Ravel Morrison (Stirling Albion, loan)
AMC Reyza Soudant (Falkirk, loan)
ST John Marsden (Accrington, loan)

Once again, we have added to our youth system during the close season. However, with Thierry Zvunka finding his budgets constrained, we have only been able to sign three prospects. While this is frustrating for the backroom team, they have been selective in choosing the three best youngsters available. The scouting staff were particularly excited by Owen, who they believe could become a top SPL midfielder in the near future. The trio are:

GK Sean McDermott (Arsenal)
DMC Simon Owen (Liverpool)
DMC Trevor Bradshaw (Bolton)

As with last season, most transfer business was concluded before a ball was kicked in anger, with only the loans of Vila and Bini going through after our initial two friendly matches. Despite the struggle faced in improving the squad for the upcoming top-flight campaign, maintaining the core of an already buoyant dressing room should stand the club in good stead.

346vlnb.jpg

Paul Gallagher, Marvin Matip and Jeremy Bokila – potentially vital additions

“This has been a really tough period,” Zvunka tells KillieMAD. “Ever since clinching the First Division title, everyone has been on a high around the club, but the chairman brought my elation into check when he revealed my budget constraints for the coming campaign! Unfortunately, the financial hit of missing SPL football for a year, even though we got to two cup semi-finals, has affected the funds available to me. As a result, I couldn’t bring in some guys that I had shortlisted, who would have taken the squad to another level.”

Does that mean his additions this summer are second-rate? “Not at all! All of the new arrivals will be absolutely key this season. For example, Paul Gallagher provides some much needed top flight experience, and will help our young keepers to develop, while Marvin (Matip) will be key in protecting our young defensive line and Jeremy (Bokila) will be relied upon to create chances as well as put them away. I am pleased overall with the business that I have been able to do, but a bigger budget would have allowed me to turn the squad into a top 6 side rather than a bottom 6 side. That’s the frustration.”

And therein lies the concern for Killie followers. If Thierry has too many frustrations at Rugby Park, he will most likely look to move on – and as we have seen in the past year, there will be no shortage of potential suitors for his talents, and now we have the added complication of his international duties. While it is of paramount importance that the club returns to a solid financial footing, we must do all we can to keep ‘Le Gaffer’. At the end of the day, our debts are substantial, but in Thierry Zvunka we have a priceless asset. With Zvunka, we most probably stay up…without, we went down, and may do so again.

The time has come, the first game of the season is upon us. Bring on Celtic!

Kilmarnock manager Thierry Zvunka was speaking to supporter spokesperson Hugh Gibson.

Last edited:
np1253.jpg

Killie spring surprise on opening weekend
by Chick Young - 19th August 2012

352hgmg.jpg

The new SPL season finally got underway this weekend, with plenty of excitement for the returning fans and pundits to chew over. Undoubtedly the biggest talking point of the weekend came from Rugby Park, where an inspired Kilmarnock side took all 3 points against reigning champions Celtic. The win was deserved for Thierry Zvunka’s side, who controlled the game over their more esteemed opponents by retaining possession well and closing down with boundless energy. After fans had approached this campaign with distinct pessimism, it now seems that most are confident of Kilmarnock having a successful season – on the other hand, some Celtic fans are already concerned about their chances of retaining the title.

Zvunka was naturally overjoyed after the match, having outwitted Tony Mowbray in the tactical stakes. “I am delighted with the game today, not just the result but also the overall performance was superb,” he remarked. “Given that we had three guys in the team with five first-team appearances between them, I am so proud of the way my boys went about their business. Not once did we look under the cosh, I would almost say that we held on comfortably.”

Mowbray was less than happy, keeping his players locked in the dressing room and refusing to talk to the press after the game. It is only the first weekend of the season, however, and if there is a time to lose a game like this it is probably as good a time as any, allowing changes to be made.

In other news from Rugby Park, Kilmarnock have made two new signings, which rounds off their business in the transfer window. Experienced ex-Celtic and Middlesborough midfielder Barry Robson joins on a two year deal, while youth goalkeeper Ivan Zlomislic arrives from German club Hannover. As a result, fellow young keeper Sean McDermott has been allowed to join Rochdale on loan until the end of the season in search of some first-team football.

2njwz8x.jpg

Jamie Hamill celebrates his crucial strike

very very good mate, could not stop reading, please update soon

Agree, my favourite read on this site.

Thanks for the comments guys, much appreciated! Got another update, with a further one to (hopefully!) come later tonight.

35c06et.jpg

Belgium start Brazil 2014 qualifying campaign with vital win

33k9o5v.jpg

Austria 0-1 Belgium - Wednesday 12th September 2012

The Belgian national side began their qualifying campaign for the 2014 FIFA World Cup with an important away win in Austria this evening. In the end, a single goal separated the two evenly-matched sides over 90 minutes, which Tom De Mul blasted in from close range just after half-time. Belgium deserved their win overall, and will be delighted to have taken 3 points away from a difficult away fixture.

After the debate over how Thierry Zvunka would set up his side in his first match as manager, the ‘Red Devils’ lined up in a 4-2-3-1 formation, with an emphasis on closing down and keeping possession. This shape allowed the likes of Eden Hazard to enjoy extra freedom in attack, but limited the effectiveness of Marouane Fellaini sitting in front of the back 4. Given that the Austrians were limited to shots from long range, while Belgium could have scored more, Zvunka was justified in his approach to the game.

Afterwards, the manager was keen not to get carried away. “We gained a hard-fought and well deserved win today, but our performance still left plenty of room for improvement,” he began. “Austria were unlucky not to get in one-on-one a couple of times, as our centre-halves were far too static for my liking. Also, I feel that Romelu Lukaku isn’t being used as effectively as he could be up front, so I will be looking to make some slight adjustments.” On the subject of Fellaini, Zvunka seemed defiant – “I have heard criticism of the limits I imposed on Merouane this evening, but for me it worked perfectly…he won man of the match for a reason, and we got 3 points, so why the negativity?”

A promising start for the national side has been met with optimism in the football community, and hopefully the team can push on from here. The next fixture for Thierry Zvunka and co comes in the second week of October, just a month from now, where the Red Devils face a vital home double-header against Kazakhstan and Serbia. If we can take anything from the latter (with the greatest of respect to the former), our challenge is well and truly on!

w8p445.jpg

Tom De Mul, scorer of the Belgian winner

35c06et.jpg

Red Devils go marching on
Belgium 4-1 Kazakhstan, Belgium 3-1 Serbia

2uhl185.jpg

Wednesday 17th October 2012

Belgium have cemented their perfect start to World Cup 2014 qualifying with successive wins in October’s vital home double-header. A routine and accomplished performance against minnows Kazakhstan was followed by tonight’s impressive victory over group favourites Serbia. The ‘Red Devils’ endured an early onslaught, losing a goal in the 8th minute, before taking control of proceedings to the delight of a packed Stade Roi Baudouin.

Thierry Zvunka set about the two matches with an unusual approach, making 10 changes between the games. Against the Kazakhs, he decided to field a weakened team in the hope of keeping the Belgian first eleven fit, and the controversial approach eventually paid dividends. The first game saw fringe players Tom de Sutter and Rees Mertens grab their first international goals, as well as others taking their chance to impress the gaffer. However, things were to get even better in the second game, with the ‘elite XI’ showing fantastic mental strength to bounce back against a very strong Serbian side. Particularly impressive were Merouane Fellaini and Romelu Lukaku, whom Thierry Zvunka was looking to fit better into his 4-2-3-1 system, as well as rising star Eden Hazard. The only blemish came from Jelle van Damme’s sending off late on for two bookable offences, showing a lack of discipline when the game was already won.

Speaking to Het Laatste Nieuws, Zvunka was content with the outcome a double-header that he had previously billed “vital” to our qualification hopes. “Well, we got 6 points, didn’t we? Of course I’m satisfied! I’m assuming that won’t be the end of your questions, though,” he told our reporter. He was of course correct – it wasn’t the end of our interview! When asked about his selection policy over the two matches, Zvunka seemed unflustered by any criticism. “Look, I made a rod for my own back by keeping the best-suited eleven for the Serbia match out of our initial game. Any criticism of my choices would have been understandable if we hadn’t taken maximum points, but we did and with some style, so I really don’t see the problem.”

With the tweaks to his tactical setup seemingly paying dividends, the manager was naturally content with his decisions. “It was good to see (Romelu) Lukaku having the major influence on the Serbia game I wanted, grabbing 2 great goals – using the big man as a holding target man seems to suit the team down to the ground. Merouane (Fellaini) also influenced the game, as I gave him a little more freedom to support counter-attacks. Fair play to the lad, he chipped in with a good headed goal.” Finally, on the sending off of van Damme, Zvunka refused to be drawn, saying, “…Jelle made a silly foul, and I’m sure he’ll learn from it. As an experienced head, he should be setting the example, not breaking it.”

And with that, Thierry Zvunka swept out of the press conference to a round of applause from the assembled journalists. There is a genuine feeling of optimism and goodwill as far as the national team goes, we can only hope that the manager can make it last. We’ve had too many false dawns and ‘golden generations’, it’s time that this proud country returned to the major tournaments – we’ve made a great start on this new journey, and finally things are looking up.

ubot1.jpg

Belgian fans had plenty to celebrate over the double-header

np1253.jpg

Killie’s fairytale start to new season continues
Scottish League Cup QF: Kilmarnock 2-0 St Mirren

23ww8p1.jpg

Roly Bonevacia – off the mark

Kilmarnock are once again on the road to the national stadium, Hampden, after securing a League Cup semi-final berth for the second successive season. It caps off a fantastic start to the 2011/12 season, with the club unbelievably top of the Scottish Premier League! The two goals that sent the Ayrshire side through came from two of the club’s talented young starlets, striker Nikola Saric and holding midfielder Roly Bonevacia.

In truth, St Mirren weren’t expected to put up much of a fight at Rugby Park, which Thierry Zvunka’s side are steadily turning into a fortress. The Paisley side couldn’t prove the doubters wrong, as once again Killie’s possession football kept them in control of the match from first till last. Saric, who has been getting a run of games after Conor Sammon was ruled out for 2 months with a groin injury, caused the opposition defence all sorts of problems with his pace and dribbling ability, setting up the first goal and completing the victory with a marvellous solo effort. In the end, the energetic young legs brought in by Zvunka for this midweek game took advantage of a side in poor form, having lost their last 4 games.

After the match, Killie manager Thierry Zvunka spoke to (disappointed St Mirren fan!) reporter Chick Young:
Q: Thierry, you’re going to Hampden again, can your side win the League Cup this season?

A: Of course we can Chick, successive semi-final appearances don’t happen by accident! Our problem last time round was coming up against Celtic…now, with both halves of the Old Firm out of the competition, any of the 4 remaining teams could do it.

Q: What did you make of young Saric tonight?

A: He played brilliantly – these young boys have no fear, and every time I pitch them into the side they don’t let me down. Roly (Bonevacia) and Jon (Larrainzar) were just as good, I am so proud of the youth players breaking through.

Q: You’ve enjoyed an unbelieveable start to the season – what do you put it down to?

A: Adding experience to our young squad, as well as good old fashioned hard work and determination. Barry Robson has been sensational since he joined, acting as a calming influence in possession and a dogged tackler without. The likes of (Jeremy) Bokila and (Rafik) Bouderbal have come in, given 110% and got involved in more than just the first team, tutoring the young boys. That’s the kind of togetherness which binds us together.

Q: Lastly, before you go and celebrate with the fans – Oliver Norwood is SPL Player of the Month, and you’ve taken Manager of the Month, how do you feel about that?

A: Delighted, obviously! Oliver deserves the award, he’s been given greater responsibilities in creating chances this campaign, and has stepped up in a big way. He’s maturing with every game, and it’s been a joy to oversee his development. As for me, well…(chuckles) it’s another door stop for the house, isn’t it? Nah, it’s always nice to be recognised, but there’s a long way to go this season, and the hard work starts here!

Given some analysts were predicting an immediate return to the First Division for Killie, their fine start to the season has caught many off guard. The general consensus now, however, is that with tough games and fixture congestion approaching we will see them slide down the table to a comfortable mid-table position – mind you, if you had offered any Kilmarnock fan that at the start of the campaign, they would have bitten your hand off for it! It will be intriguing to see how their year develops…and how long manager Thierry Zvunka stays with the financially struggling club.

fxgz92.jpg

St Mirren players were left dejected at the final whistle

Sorry for the lack of updates folks, been unable to play on much due to other commitments. Back in the zone tonight though, and back into the rumour mill...

34rhz6h.jpg

EXCLUSIVE: Zvunka understood to be ‘considering options’

2ahnio.jpg

Monday 12th November 2012

Sky Sports News can exclusively reveal that Thierry Zvunka is giving serious consideration to leaving his post as Kilmarnock manager at the end of the current campaign. The talented young Scots-Frenchman, who has been continuously linked with positions all over Europe as a result of his work at Rugby Park, looks set to continue his career elsewhere with no lack of potential suitors for his talents.

A high-ranking Rugby Park official told SSN, “Thierry has, despite his statements in the media, been extremely annoyed by Budget cuts imposed by the chairman – despite turning in a profit last season and achieving promotion back to the top flight. As a man who relies on the youth system, he feels that this has undermined all his hard and ultimately successful work so far, and feels that he has no option but to look at other possibilities come the end of the season.”

Kilmarnock's fans will no doubt be unnerved by these revelations, fearing that their club will lose by far it's greatest and most valuable asset for no compensation in a matter of months. With several high-profile chairmen around the continent considering whether to offer their current bosses contract extensions, Zvunka will no doubt be a potential replacement at many top club sides. If he does decide to vacate his Rugby Park role, he will have the Belgian national team to concentrate his energies on until the right job comes along - there is no doubt that this has the potential to be one of the big summer transfer stories come June, and we'll be keeping you right up to date here on Sky Sports News.

---------- Post added at 01:28 AM ---------- Previous post was yesterday at 10:58 PM ----------

1z4jv4y.jpg

2944cjr.jpg

BREAKING NEWS: Aberdeen target Zvunka
Sunday 9th December 2012

It has emerged that Aberdeen chairman Stuart Milne has chosen to focus on Kilmarnock manager Thierry Zvunka as the next possible gaffer at Pittodrie. After the sacking of Mark McGhee, following a string of poor results that has left the Dons in the lower reaches of the SPL, the board felt that it could not stand back and watch any longer. Now, given the recent reports into Zvunka’s increasing disillusionment with life at financially-striken Killie, he may well jump at the chance to take over at the former powerhouse of Scottish football. What has now developed is a bitter tug-of-war over his services, with both club's chairmen eager to secure their man.

Kilmarnock are in good shape in the SPL this season, as despite having the lowest budget in the league they sit comfortably above Aberdeen in the table, and well clear of trouble. Zvunka’s men have been on a poor run of form as a result of injuries and fixture congestion, but turned the tide at the weekend with a comprehensive 2-1 win over St Mirren. The Dons are in no imminent danger due to the desperately poor form of both Hamilton and St Johnstone, but by contrast the fans expect much more from their once-great club than languishing in the bottom six. Some may see the potential move as a sidestep for Zvunka, so just what have Aberdeen got in their favour?

Thierry Zvunka is passionate about youth, and bringing talented youngsters through the club and into the first team proper – in the past few years, the Dons have shown that their youth setup is amongst the best Scotland has to offer, bringing through the likes of Fraser Fyvie, Chris Maguire and Zander Diamond. In addition, Stuart Milne would offer a substantially better wage budget to Zvunka, allowing him more freedom to sculpt and mould his respective squads in the north-east. However, would jumping ship from a work in progress to a club lower in the league table be a wise move for the talented young manager?

Sources close to both clubs claim that an offer is already on the table - all that remains is for Thierry Zvunka to make his decision, a potentially huge moment in his blossoming management career.

2cipsx.jpg

Zvunka rejects Aberdeen – sees road to greater things?

vz9661.jpg

Thierry Zvunka will not succeed Mark McGhee (pic) at Pittodrie

One of the most interesting talking points of the Scottish football season so far came this month, with the news that Aberdeen had approached Kilmarnock manager Thierry Zvunka with the aim of making him their replacement for the sacked Mark McGhee; chairman Stewart Milne offered the talented young manager a wage budget over five times as large as his current constraints at Rugby Park, in addition to a transfer kitty of around £750,000…however, it was promptly turned down by the Scots-Frenchman. The question for all football journalists in the aftermath is quite simply, why?

It is common gossip now that Zvunka is becoming disillusioned with life at the Ayrshire club, given a pitiful budget by SPL standards this season. In addition, his main passion of youth development is being threatened by a lack of available funds – despite these problems, Killie have made it to the semi-final of the League Cup for the second year running, as well as sitting comfortably in SPL mid-table mediocrity. With Aberdeen also sitting well above the relegation dogfight, and seemingly offering a much more attractive proposition, why did Scottish football’s rising star turn down the move?

At FourFourTwo, we like to think that we’re on the ball with these things. Having conversed with all our informants and analysts, we have come to the conclusion that Thierry Zvunka is indeed lokking to leave Kilmarnock, and sooner rather than later. However, it seems that he will not rush into another club job (remembering that he is already Belgium head coach at international level) even if substantial funding is in place – it is clear that the gaffer sees a road to greater things than the SPL, and given his French roots it may well be that he is keeping tabs on the Ligue Un in terms of his next move. Naturally, the lure of English and Spanish football could also prove strong, but we expect to see Thierry move to his other homeland in the not-too-distant future. Are we going to be proven right? Time will tell…

Gordon Rennie

1z4jv4y.jpg

Kilmarnock pip Hearts to reach League Cup final
Wednesday 30th January 2013

25pn8eo.jpg

The victorious Killie players greet the final whistle with delight

In an entertaining second League Cup semi-final at Hampden this evening, Kilmarnock sprung a surprise by knocking favourites Hearts out of the competition with an impressive 2-1 win. Confounding the doubters, who claimed that the national stadium’s big pitch would adversely affect the Ayrshire side, Thierry Zvunka’s charges rallied from a goal down to control the semi and clinch a deserved berth in the League Cup final. Dundee United will be their opponents, with the final to be contested on Sunday 17th March.

The game started at a scorching pace, with both sides having great chances to get on the scoreboard early on. Kilmarnock thought that they had broken the deadlock after 12 minutes, after a brilliant passing move put Rafik Bouderbal through one-on-one with the keeper, but his placed finish was in vain as the offside flag had risen. In the end, Hearts took the lead against the run on play when Rémy Cabella slotted home past stand-in keeper Gallagher after a lapse in concentration from the defensive line.

Thierry Zvunka clearly felt the need to make changes at half-time, bringing on winger Jeremy Bokila for holding midfielder Barry Robson in an effort to exert more pressure on the Hearts backline, and it soon paid dividends; first, Rafik Bouderbal managed to cement his name on the scoreboard, before fellow creative influence Abiodun turned the game on it’s head within 15 minutes of the restart. Far from being content with the lead, Zvunka instructed his side to continue in their attacking vein, and as a result kept Hearts pinned down until late on. The final whistle was greeted by cheers from the Killie faithful as well as their players on the field, while Zvunka and his assistant John Morling celebrated by popping champagne and spraying the fans!

After the Kille players and staff had calmed down, Chick Young interviewed Morling and young left-back Henry O’Connor:
Q: Well guys, you’re in the final – how do you feel?

A: (Morling) Brilliant Chick, it’s just what the players and fans deserve for the effort everyone has put in over the last year and a half. It’s a minor miracle that we are where we are now, and it’s genuinely a team effort that has got us to this point – I’m sure Thierry will tell you the same!

Q: And Henry, are you excited about the prospect of your first major cup final?

A: (O’Connor) I can’t wait! The boys all worked hard, played well and we got the result we deserved today. Days like today are what being a footballer is all about, and I’m loving every minute of it.

Q: What do you put the turnaround after half-time down to?

A: (O’Connor) The gaffer, definitely. He changed the formation and really gee’d us up, we couldn’t wait to get back out there and play. It didn’t feel like we were losing after he spoke, we all felt determined to grab the game back and take our place in the final…and we did it in the end.

A: (Morling) The changes made at the break were all down to Thierry – I must confess, I felt that we should have kept things as they were, given that we were controlling the ball more often than not. I’m over the moon to have been proven wrong mind you!

Q: So, it’s Dundee United in the final. Confident?

A: (O’Connor) Yeah, we’ll give them the respect they deserve, but it’s a one-off game and we’ve got a great chance. Fingers crossed that we can keep the boys fit before it, and at the end of the day whatever eleven the gaffer sends out we’ll give it everything we’ve got. I hope we can win it for the fans, they’ve been first class.
If the rumours are true, and Thierry Zvunka is to leave Kilmarnock at the end of the season, there would be no better way to sign off than clinching a national cup as well as ensuring SPL survival. Can they do it? On the evidence of today’s performance, they have every chance of taking the trophy in under two months' time.

33eo6rc.jpg

…just a quick question, is anyone still following this? Please feel free to post comments/advice if you are! There will be another “Halfway House” mid-season update to add tomorrow, including a personal transfer success story. :)

kc12td.jpg

2012/13 Season – The “Halfway House” roundup

2ahnio.jpg

Friday 1st February 2013

In contrast to this time last year, the January transfer window has seen very little movement in and out of Rugby Park. Thierry Zvunka, restricted by stringent budgets, has made no new additions to the club – however, the squad has been freshened by the return of the young players that had been out on loan for the first half of the season. Towards the end of the window, it also seemed that very little would be occurring in outgoing transfers as well, with only winger Graeme Owens leaving to join Rochdale on a free transfer. However, just before the League Cup semi-final against Hearts young centre-back Jon Larrainzar was targeted by Sheffield Wednesday and Las Palmas – with the chairman accepting both bids of over a million pounds, the young Spaniard chose to return to the land of his birth.

Jon Larrainzar is a prime example of how Thierry Zvunka likes to manage; picked up just 18 months ago for a nominal fee around £18,000, Jon spent last season developing in the youth and reserve set-ups at Rugby Park. This season, he stepped up into the first team and grabbed a regular spot in the heart of the defence, and after just 21 league appearances for the club has moved on to greater things for a fee of £1.4 million (plus a sell-on clause). It is proof, if any were needed, that Zvunka is emerging as one of the most talented gaffers in European football, very much in the mould of an Arsène Wenger. Now, with Jon and Graeme having left the club, two more talented young players in Simon Owen and Billy Knott will be given the chance to step up and grab a regular first-team spot in the weeks and months to come.

There was another youngster attracting attention from larger clubs around the continent – left-back Henry O’Connor has broken through this season in much the same vein as Larrainzar did, and has even gained international recognition with the Republic of Ireland. With the club looking for at least £2 million for the talented full back, who was picked up on a free transfer from Bohemians just a year ago, there has been reported interest from Celtic and Liverpool amongst others. The club didn’t receive any concrete bids for his services, but it seems that O’Connor is destined to become another success story for Zvunka’s youth development policy.

In other transfer news, influential winger Jeremy Bokila will leave the club to join Dundee United at the end of the season for a fee of £150,000, while backup centre half Ryan O’Leary has signed a bosman agreement with Falkirk to get more first-team opportunities. We have no doubt that they will continue to give their all for the remainder of the campaign, and Bokila in particular will move on with our fondest wishes after his superb impact so far this season.

As far as performances go, we have seen Killie recover well from quite a slump. A fantastic start to the campaign saw the club sit proudly atop the SPL, but injuries and fixture congestion resulted in 6 games taking place in the space of 3 weeks, affecting the club’s momentum. Having said that, we are still in with a great chance of sneaking into the top 6, and are comfortably clear of the bottom 4 teams in the league. Perhaps the most noticeable match of recent times came with the visit of Aberdeen, who Zvunka has rejected just a week previously – Killie dominated the game, grabbed the 3 points and seemed to vindicate the gaffer’s decision to the delight of the home fans.

The rumours concerning Thierry refuse to go away, however. It seems to be common knowledge now that he intends to leave at the end of the season if the chairman does not loosen the purse strings, and that isn’t likely to happen anytime soon. We live in hope of retaining the Scots-Frenchman, but with his stock rising and frustration growing alongside it surely won’t be long before he is tempted away. If we can get some decent compensation money, it won’t make up for his loss but it will help to balance the accounts for the next incumbent of the dugout. As with Larrainzar, he will leave with nothing but the best wishes of the fans should he move on to bigger and better things, having improved this club no end since taking over.

Onwards and Upwards!

Screenies of Jon Larrainzar, Henry O'Connor and the fixtures so far below!

1z4jv4y.jpg

Scottish League Cup final preview
Kilmarnock v Dundee United

71427k.jpg

Hampden awaits another cup final, but who will come out on top?

It is a rare occurrence that cup finals held in Scotland do not feature at least one half of the Old Firm. This year sees the League Cup final being contested by two mid-table SPL sides in Kilmarnock and Dundee United, and may well represent both club’s best chance of national silverware for some time to come. The sides met at Rugby Park just 4 days ago in a dress-rehearsal, with a strong United side eventually overcoming a weakened Killie 2-1; given that both managers had this final in mind, their selections were heavily altered in preparation, and now we are all set for the main event.

Over 40,000 fans will watch on as favourites Dundee United attempt to overcome their losing record in League Cup finals, having been defeated more often than taking the prize. Having overcome ICT, Dunfermline and St Johnstone, the Tayside outfit have had a relatively easy passage to this stage – Kilmarnock will provide a much sterner test. If the Terrors are to get their hands on the trophy, pacy frontman David Goodwillie could be the key man, given Killie’s injury problems in the heart of their defence. Expect Prince Buaben and Danny Swanson to be the major driving forces in the tangerine engine room, given manager Gary McAllister’s emphasis on passing football.

As for underdogs Killie, Thierry Zvunka’s side have proven their mettle all season, reinforcing their credentials a matter of weeks ago by overcoming Celtic in the 5th round of the Scottish Cup, only to be narrowly defeated by Rangers in the following round. Unlike their opponents, Killie come into this game with major selection headaches; first team players including Henry O’Connor, Marvin Matip and Barry Robson are unavailable through injury, while creative midfielder Richard Haklander is suspended. However, getting past Ross County, St Mirren, Hearts and Motherwell shows that they cannot be underestimated. For the Ayrshire side to have any chance, Oliver Norwood must perform well in the middle of the park, linking play and creating chances, while young defender Simon Owen must rise to the challenge of playing in such a big game early in his professional career.

Either side could realistically win the trophy, but as always it will come down to who performs on the day. McAllister and Zvunka are sure to relish the tactical battle, but which set of players will turn their words and actions into an advantage? It promises to be a captivating encounter, and should be an extremely enjoyable watch for the neutral.

33eo6rc.jpg

---------- Post added at 04:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:16 AM ----------

1z4jv4y.jpg

Kilmarnock pay the penalty as United win League Cup
Kilmarnock 2-2 Dundee United (0-3 on penalties)

a25f0z.jpg

Dundee United kept their nerve to sink the hopes of several thousand Killie fans

In a pulsating encounter this evening, Dundee United grabbed the first major silverware of the Scottish football season with a hard-fought win over Kilmarnock, holding their nerve to clinch the League Cup in a penalty shootout after 120 minutes of play could not separate the sides. It looked like the Ayrshire side had done enough in normal time to spring a surprise victory, despite going down to 10 men, but United grabbed a 90th minute equaliser to keep the tie alive, and in the end were well worth their victory.

It was the tangerines who started much the stronger, controlling the ball for the vast majority of the first half hour, and being rewarded with the game’s opening goal. Some neat interplay drew out the Killie defence, allowing Prince Buaben to slot a through ball into David Goodwillie’s path, and he made no mistake with a clinical finish past helpless goalkeeper Paul Gallagher. This turn of events clearly rattled Kilmarnock manager Thierry Zvunka, who immediately changed from his favoured 4-1-4-1 formation to a more conventional 4-4-1-1, and substituting defensive midfielder Jamie Adams for United-bound winger Jeremy Bokila in the process. The tactical changes turned the game on it’s head, with Rafik Bouderbal in the hole behind the striker running the show. Within 10 minutes, Bouderbal and frontman Nikola Saric had both converted chances to put Killie into the lead. At half-time, it was clear that Dundee United needed help…and it would arrive in an unexpected (and somewhat ironic) guise!

Kilmarnock began the second half as they had finished the first, controlling the game and seemingly on the way to a comfortable victory. Saric had another strike ruled out for offside, before the big talking point of the match arrived; after a Killie corner came to nothing, the ball broke back to Oliver Norwood on the wing, who crossed for Francesco Bini to convert the clinching goal…only for the referee to deem that the centre-back had fouled United keeper Mark Bunn. The whole Kilmarnock squad were enraged, and Jeremy Bokila took his arguments a little too far, receiving his marching orders against his future employers come the end of the season. With 20 minutes left of play, Zvunka’s men defended valiantly, only for Johnny Russell to pop up with the last chance of the game and send the tie into extra-time.

The 30 minutes of extra-time came and went with no clear cut chances at either end, and we proceeded to the drama of penalties. The Kilmarnock players, by this point exhausted and mentally drained, succumbed to the pressure, with all 4 takers missing their respective kicks. The more experienced Dundee United line-up kept their cool and eased to victory in a manner that was hard on their opponents.

In the end, it was a great advert for Scottish football, and either team would have deserved the win for different reasons: Killie for battling valiantly with just 10 men, and fighting back magnificently in the first place, while United for taking their last chance to stay in the game deserve much credit. Gary McAllister has his first silverware as a manager safely in the cabinet, while Thierry Zvunka has experienced a final loss for the first time – no doubt his time will come again in the near future.

33eo6rc.jpg

Last edited:
Superb update mate. :)

Really enjoying this. :)

thanks for updating mate, again keep up the good work, a big european powerhouse awaits

Status
Not open for further replies.