Welcome to FM Base
Want access to our Standard Logo Megapack and P20 kit packs? You know what to do!
Register

A Thorn in the Side - A York City Story

leckuno

Jan 26, 2017
Season 2 Preseason

Transfers

So as mentioned at the end of last season we let go the majority of the playing squad with just holding onto 6 players so we had to go out and build a new squad that would be capable of putting up a fight in this division so the majority of the players that I've brought in are young. This doesn't mean they lack experience though as a lot of them have dropped down the leagues from the premiership to try and build their reputations back up to get back to the top.

So far we have signed 12 players but we're still in the market for more as we build out the squad.

Preseason

We had a pretty small preseason as we spent most of it trying to sign people so didn't want to play too many games until had had a squad capable of playing them but we put in some good performances when we did play and it makes me confident for going forward.

Expectations

Well the board doesn't expect much from us at all in the league and I fully expect to be fighting it our at the other end of the table. I feel we can also easily meet the expectations in the cups. I will of course be looking to win the FA Trophy .

The Start

Not a too difficult start and I feel we should be able to perform well. During all of this we will have the added distraction of continuing to build out the first team squad though​

leckuno

Jan 26, 2017
The Start

Transfers

We bring in a final 5 players over the course of the month to take our total to 17 new signings as we have completely reshaped the squad and try and build for a brighter future.

York City v Woking

Our first game and boy was it difficult as we sneak the win thanks to a final minute penalty.

Ebbsfleet United v York City

We're not getting everything out own way this season as we drop points in only our 2nd game

York City v King's Lynn Town

An early goal is the difference here as we get back to winning ways

Eastleigh v York City

After conceding straight after half time I thought our tea was out but we fought back well to get the 3 points thanks to Storey

York City v Borham Wood

Our most convincing performance yet as Dom Telford comes into the team and gets a debut brace to introduce himself to the fans.

Wealdstone v York City

What an end to the game as Telford gets a two minute double as we locked to be heading for a loss.

York City v Bromley

A much better performance to end the month as we are really starting to look like we belong here.

League

We have a 1 point lead but we are looking good in this league as we have put a strong team together and will be looking to get promoted at the end of the season

September

Some big games this month where we will get some proper tests to see where we really are.​

leckuno

Jan 26, 2017
September

Barnet v York City

We do enough to scrape by here. I still worry about our striker but its difficult to get a decent one in these levels.

York City v Aldershot Town

The same again here as we get the goal through a set piece with Mason popping up on the outside of the box to drill it home.

Chesterfield v York City

It was all looking good until the equaliser but we'll make do as its still a point on the board.

York City v Wrexham

A big game against the now famous Wrexham and Storey tore them to pieces from the wing with an excellent brace as he is quickly becoming the first name on the team sheet.

Torquay United v York City

The score line really doesn't show how comfortable a game this was but we walk away with the 3 points but its great to see Storey getting on the score sheet for his 4th goal of the month

League

A 2 point lead and it just shows how close it going to be this season as only 2 teams will be going up.

October

A busy month with 7 games with us coming up against Yoevil in the final game of the month which could be vital come the end of the season.

Last edited:

leckuno

Jan 26, 2017
October

York City v Oldham Athletic

Our best performance of the season so far as we put in a great all round performance against Oldham.

Notts County v York City

Nothing like a last minute winner in your favour to get the blood pumping

York City v Halifax Town

I thought we might get into some trouble after the sending off but Storey just keeps on scoring as he comes to our rescue with both goals.

FA Cup 4th Qualifying Round
FC United v York City

I rotated some of the quad here to give some players a break since we were playing non-league opposition and it nearly back fired as we only managed a 1-0 win. The important thing is that we managed to make it into the FA Cup though.

Maidenhead United v York City

A poor result here but we just couldn't get a footing in the game after their quick reply but we still get the draw.

York City v Fylde

I expected a bit of an easier game here but Fylde showed that they have strengthened as well even if they still are a good bit behind us.

Yeovil Town v York City

A drab match as neither of us were able to get any real chances for a boring game for the top 2 teams in the league

League

The gap remains the same but we now also have Stockport County hot on our heels as well.

November

We've got the first round of the FA Cup against Woking who we have beaten already this season. We also have a game against Stockport to look forward to.

Coaching Badges

After a couple of months from passing my last badge the club has now agreed to pay for my next badge which can only help the club move forward.​

leckuno

Jan 26, 2017
November

FA Cup 1st Round
Woking v York City

A much tougher game than I expected and I was left worried but we left it late and progress to the 2nd round.

York City v Dag & Red

A great final 10 minutes for the fans and an even better one for us as we get the 2nd as a quick reply

York City v Welling United

A much better game from us as we finally get a decent result as Storey gets his 4th goal in 3 games for us.

Stockport County v York City

A boring game and it just shows that we're no better than the team closely chasing us

York City v Southend

We made hard work of this game but we can always rely on Storey to get a winner even if tis coming from the penalty spot.

Hartlepool v York City

We were very lucky to get something from this game as we were terrible in front of goal and I couldn't of complained if we'd lost this.

League

Well we've dropped to 2nd on goal difference but thankfully still a long way to go this season so hopefully we can get top spot back.

December

Bring on the FA Cup 2nd round. We will be throwing everything at the 2 cup competitions and hoping our league form doesn't suffer.

Facilities

The board has decided to splash the cash a bit and upgrade the youth facilities for us which can only pay dividends in the future of the club​

leckuno

Jan 26, 2017
December

FA Cup 2nd Round
York City v Cambridge United

We really took the game here to Cambridge and it looked like we were going to be taking it to a replay but Potts came on as a sub and grabbed the winner to ensure we're still in the FA Cup in the New Year

Woking v York City

Woking always make it difficult for us and they did it again as we leave it late again to get the 3 points.

York City v Ebbsfleet United

A good win for us even if the final 15 minutes was nervy with us worrying that we could concede again.

FA Trophy 3rd Round
Leamington v York City

We rotated the squad a bit here as playing lower league opposition and it paid off as we ran out 3-0 winners and progress to the next round. The only downside to this game is that Telford got injured and will now miss the next 6 weeks

York City v Eastleigh

What a first half as we went in 3 up but sadly the 2nd half we weren't able to get anymore but it looks like we won't be missing Telford.

League

We still find ourselves in 2nd spot but we're only a point behind and have a game in hand

January

Bring on the FA Cup as we play against Port Vale and have every chance of being able to beat them. Its going to be a busy month though as we have 7 games.

Youth Preview

Nothing to really write about here but we have a chance of getting a decent striker through it seems​