A Thorn in the Side - A York City Story

Are you using Kurt Willoughby at all?
Just finished my first season with York and he scored 49 goals across 50 games
Nah he played 2nd fiddle to Beck for me

Season 2 Preseason

Transfers

So as mentioned at the end of last season we let go the majority of the playing squad with just holding onto 6 players so we had to go out and build a new squad that would be capable of putting up a fight in this division so the majority of the players that I've brought in are young. This doesn't mean they lack experience though as a lot of them have dropped down the leagues from the premiership to try and build their reputations back up to get back to the top.

OxULjE4.png

So far we have signed 12 players but we're still in the market for more as we build out the squad.

Preseason

8Af2vcO.png

We had a pretty small preseason as we spent most of it trying to sign people so didn't want to play too many games until had had a squad capable of playing them but we put in some good performances when we did play and it makes me confident for going forward.

Expectations

CAzE97q.png

Well the board doesn't expect much from us at all in the league and I fully expect to be fighting it our at the other end of the table. I feel we can also easily meet the expectations in the cups. I will of course be looking to win the FA Trophy .

The Start

83LoTco.png

Not a too difficult start and I feel we should be able to perform well. During all of this we will have the added distraction of continuing to build out the first team squad though​

The Start

Transfers

hhttDFt.png

We bring in a final 5 players over the course of the month to take our total to 17 new signings as we have completely reshaped the squad and try and build for a brighter future.

York City v Woking

VKAjpiC.png

Our first game and boy was it difficult as we sneak the win thanks to a final minute penalty.

Ebbsfleet United v York City

zqA7ZxC.png

We're not getting everything out own way this season as we drop points in only our 2nd game

York City v King's Lynn Town

3NdGwdp.png

An early goal is the difference here as we get back to winning ways

Eastleigh v York City

T9NCz5z.png

After conceding straight after half time I thought our tea was out but we fought back well to get the 3 points thanks to Storey

York City v Borham Wood

82jKOWE.png

Our most convincing performance yet as Dom Telford comes into the team and gets a debut brace to introduce himself to the fans.

Wealdstone v York City

1sqaMJH.png

What an end to the game as Telford gets a two minute double as we locked to be heading for a loss.

York City v Bromley

jZ4c5KL.png

A much better performance to end the month as we are really starting to look like we belong here.

League

wZHS2ed.png

We have a 1 point lead but we are looking good in this league as we have put a strong team together and will be looking to get promoted at the end of the season

September

keyCijM.png

Some big games this month where we will get some proper tests to see where we really are.​

September

Barnet v York City

reNEDby.png

We do enough to scrape by here. I still worry about our striker but its difficult to get a decent one in these levels.

York City v Aldershot Town

sigIOmU.png

The same again here as we get the goal through a set piece with Mason popping up on the outside of the box to drill it home.

Chesterfield v York City

MLptAPS.png

It was all looking good until the equaliser but we'll make do as its still a point on the board.

York City v Wrexham

2ekG2ZV.png

A big game against the now famous Wrexham and Storey tore them to pieces from the wing with an excellent brace as he is quickly becoming the first name on the team sheet.

Torquay United v York City

ztLWP8A.png

The score line really doesn't show how comfortable a game this was but we walk away with the 3 points but its great to see Storey getting on the score sheet for his 4th goal of the month

League

PU7DL6X.png

A 2 point lead and it just shows how close it going to be this season as only 2 teams will be going up.

October

A busy month with 7 games with us coming up against Yoevil in the final game of the month which could be vital come the end of the season.

TVCNgQ0.png

Last edited:
October

York City v Oldham Athletic

KnAiNby.png

Our best performance of the season so far as we put in a great all round performance against Oldham.

Notts County v York City

DSmjo8Q.png

Nothing like a last minute winner in your favour to get the blood pumping

York City v Halifax Town

nLPpbSV.png

I thought we might get into some trouble after the sending off but Storey just keeps on scoring as he comes to our rescue with both goals.

FA Cup 4th Qualifying Round
FC United v York City

haMn67n.png

I rotated some of the quad here to give some players a break since we were playing non-league opposition and it nearly back fired as we only managed a 1-0 win. The important thing is that we managed to make it into the FA Cup though.

Maidenhead United v York City

jZSKkEU.png

A poor result here but we just couldn't get a footing in the game after their quick reply but we still get the draw.

York City v Fylde

c52SP5e.png

I expected a bit of an easier game here but Fylde showed that they have strengthened as well even if they still are a good bit behind us.

Yeovil Town v York City

BjGgI5Y.png

A drab match as neither of us were able to get any real chances for a boring game for the top 2 teams in the league

League

2COvr41.png

The gap remains the same but we now also have Stockport County hot on our heels as well.

November

JJZx3O8.png

We've got the first round of the FA Cup against Woking who we have beaten already this season. We also have a game against Stockport to look forward to.

Coaching Badges

lGocmVi.png

After a couple of months from passing my last badge the club has now agreed to pay for my next badge which can only help the club move forward.​

November

FA Cup 1st Round
Woking v York City

desEtCK.png

A much tougher game than I expected and I was left worried but we left it late and progress to the 2nd round.

York City v Dag & Red

ddai5IP.png

A great final 10 minutes for the fans and an even better one for us as we get the 2nd as a quick reply

York City v Welling United

E3zsiu7.png

A much better game from us as we finally get a decent result as Storey gets his 4th goal in 3 games for us.

Stockport County v York City

FwiWDrI.png

A boring game and it just shows that we're no better than the team closely chasing us

York City v Southend

7ssUKEJ.png

We made hard work of this game but we can always rely on Storey to get a winner even if tis coming from the penalty spot.

Hartlepool v York City

QkEg7Jw.png

We were very lucky to get something from this game as we were terrible in front of goal and I couldn't of complained if we'd lost this.

League

DJD71vf.png

Well we've dropped to 2nd on goal difference but thankfully still a long way to go this season so hopefully we can get top spot back.

December

Y0O5jAu.png

Bring on the FA Cup 2nd round. We will be throwing everything at the 2 cup competitions and hoping our league form doesn't suffer.

Facilities

g71Y0W5.png

The board has decided to splash the cash a bit and upgrade the youth facilities for us which can only pay dividends in the future of the club​

December

FA Cup 2nd Round
York City v Cambridge United

Ux1ugDP.png

We really took the game here to Cambridge and it looked like we were going to be taking it to a replay but Potts came on as a sub and grabbed the winner to ensure we're still in the FA Cup in the New Year

Woking v York City

zDpT3il.png

Woking always make it difficult for us and they did it again as we leave it late again to get the 3 points.

York City v Ebbsfleet United

ceqNkk7.png

A good win for us even if the final 15 minutes was nervy with us worrying that we could concede again.

FA Trophy 3rd Round
Leamington v York City

NOh2K05.png

We rotated the squad a bit here as playing lower league opposition and it paid off as we ran out 3-0 winners and progress to the next round. The only downside to this game is that Telford got injured and will now miss the next 6 weeks

York City v Eastleigh

LfFy0ym.png

What a first half as we went in 3 up but sadly the 2nd half we weren't able to get anymore but it looks like we won't be missing Telford.

League

A7QtG4T.png

We still find ourselves in 2nd spot but we're only a point behind and have a game in hand

January

cAiK7XF.png

Bring on the FA Cup as we play against Port Vale and have every chance of being able to beat them. Its going to be a busy month though as we have 7 games.

Youth Preview

RTbpCf7.png

Nothing to really write about here but we have a chance of getting a decent striker through it seems​

January

Boreham Wood v York City

PRN4e7f.png

It was looking very likely that this was going to be a draw but we got a huge boost thanks to an injury time winner.

FA Cup 3rd Round
Port Vale v York City

pvrBx1q.png

What a ten minute spell from the two teams as we fall behind thanks to a penalty and then Dalling gets a quick fire double to send us into the 4th Round

York City v Wealdstone

i8uZs8Y.png

A great all round performance from the team here and Dalling is clearly showing that he's more than capable playing upfront while Telford is out injured.

FA Trophy 4th Round
Aldershot Town v York City

9g9lmM3.png

A great first half was enough to get us the victory here to progress but it was a nervy end to the game as our keeper put in a MOTM performance to keep Aldershot at bay.

Bromley v York City

vmu0smN.png

We taste defeat for the first time this season and it was a bitter pill to swallow as we conceded with the final kick of the ball.

Aldershot Town v York City

WTm1BTR.png

We deserved this loss as we just didn't perform at all and we were lucky to get on the score sheet at all thanks to a deflected shot.

York City v Barnet

5qRE7gT.png

Our defence has been poor for the last few games when it gets late into the game as we drop points for the third game in a row here but we at least manage to grab a point this time.

King's Lynn Town v York City

i2yh7TD.png

What a minute the 17th was as our Paddy Mclaughlin comes back to haunt us before we score straight from the kick off for the equaliser. It was good to get back to winning ways though after the last 3 games.

League

A2Fcztu.png

Well we have managed to get top spot back but Stockport still have a game in hand and will jump above us again if they win it.

February

3gsxGMd.png

Cardiff is going to be the big test so I'm glad we can get them out the way first before trying to make sure we have top spot in the league​

Last edited:
February

FA Cup 4th Round
York City v Cardiff City

Z53hgrj.png

What a result as we beat the team sitting bottom of the Premiership, their confidence is pretty low and we took full advantage of it and progress to the next round.

York City v Chesterfield

gojlPDN.png

Our best performance for a while as we keep a clean sheet and even manage a few goals.

FA Trophy 5th Round
York City v King's Lynn Town

XdwWlg6.png

We just can't stop beating King's Lynn Town as we put in another strong performance to get into the next round.

Wrexham v York City

AHuVb2X.png

We were really made to work after the opening goal to keep Wrexham out but we held on for 70 minutes to ****** 3 points.

Oldham Athletic v York City

73KA8CK.png

We did well to pull it back within 15 minutes and then grab the 2nd. Telford isn't banging the goals in but they are trickling and they are usually important.

York City v Torquay United

yQpjddZ.png

We conceded quickly at the start but we kept fighting and got a quick fire double in the 2nd half to take a commanding lead and secure the 3 points.

League

HTNKaCk.png

We'll we've held onto top spot and now have a point advantage, we just need to make it count now

March

rF8fJgy.png

We've been lucky in the FA Cup draw again but its going to be a busy month again with the number of games we've got to play.

Coaching Badges

G3N3EeO.png

I've been granted another coaching course to continue my education. Keep going at this rate then we will be finished in no time.​

March

FA Cup 5th Round
Oxford United v York City

5C8sbrU.png

What a game as our defence was immense as we held on and the sending off in extra time was the difference as we were able to make the difference and get the goal to see us into the quarter final somehow.

York City v Notts County

84GYzVQ.png

Brought straight back down to earth here as Notts County were able to take full advantage of our tired legs.

Halifax Town v York City

8x33RND.png

Storey has been great this season and is somehow our top scorer and he's managed it all from the right wing which is amazing.

FA Trophy Quarter Final
York City v Bromley

mejT4rQ.png

A first half goal is enough to squeeze by Bromley to make it into the semi final of the FA Trophy.

FA Cup Quarter Final
York City v Wolves

GbqoTzv.png

A ridiculous game where Wolves just weren't able to take their chances as our keeper just kept getting his hands to the ball and we were able to score one of our two shots in the whole game to make the semi final. The money from this game alone is enough to see us through next season.

Fylde v York City

LvEvxkA.png

Still on a high from beating Wolves we were able to put together a 2nd half fightback to get a big 3 points.

York City v Yeovil Town

YhKD04R.png

A lot of games in a short period of time has taken its effect on our players as they were dead on their feet out there.

League

L6D8TSZ.png

Its all coming down to the final month and the league has to be the priority to make sure we get promoted

April

ro0Zlo2.png

Its going to be a mental month as we have a lot of games in a short period of time again

Youth Upgrade

PGGrjCZ.png

With the money from the Wolves game the board has decided to invest in our youth as they have decided to upgrade our youth level​

Last edited:
that FA Cup run is ridiculous! Stockport then Liverpool in the space of 5 days is gonna be interesting!

April

FA Trophy Semi Final 1st Leg
York City v Eastleigh

Hxacras.png

It wasn't pretty but we did enough to take a lead into the 2nd leg

Dag & Red v York City

xAOYZHk.png

A disappointing result here as we should of held on but sadly a goal in the final minutes is enough for us to only walk away with a point

Southend v York City

zVRo53e.png

Another game we should of been able to see out but our fitness is really starting to drop in the final half hour with how quickly games are coming now.

FA Trophy Semi Final 2nd Leg
Eastleigh v York City

7OZLmsz.png

We weren't able to really take advantage of the extra man in normal time but thankfully we get the winning goal to send us into our first final.

York City v Stockport County

quoR3tO.png

This was a must win game for us to try and open a gap at the top of the table and Telford delivered with the only goal of the game.

FA Cup Semi Final
Liverpool v York City

PxxmwEb.png

Well we knew this game was going to be difficult and Liverpool just didn't give us a chance as they ran us riot. The money we have earned from the cup run though will see the club through some difficult times over the next season or two.

Welling United v York City

5WaTcPC.png

It was tough that we conceded in the 1st minute but we got a goal just before half time but then weren't able to take advantage in the second half and get another draw this month.

York City v Hartlepool

i30WAKy.png

It all came down to the final game of the season and we knew as long as we avoided a loss then the title was ours and we wouldn't need to rely on other results and we left it right until the end of the game but we got the important equaliser and we go up to League 1 as champions.

FA Trophy Final
Yeovil Town v York City

Nr6oogx.png

You'd think by winning by an own goal I'd be disappointed that we couldn't do it on our own but who really cares as we win a cup to add to our trophy cabinet.

League

WJq4tKg.png

Despite winning only 1 of our final 6 games of the season we still managed to get top spot thanks to other results going our way. Got to make the big step up now for next season

Budget

hWWbHC2.png

Thanks to our cup run we have a decent transfer budget and again our wage budget has increased by a further £10,000.

Youth Facilities

MMUoTq7.png

Again with the FA Cup money the board were happy to invest in our youth facilities as they are pretty awful at the moment which is shown in our latest youth intake.

Cl7Sd1C.png

That cup run was insane!!

Getting over a million to spend in League Two should easily be enough for you to build another title challenging squad! Three back to back promotions would be an awesome achievement!

That cup run was insane!!

Getting over a million to spend in League Two should easily be enough for you to build another title challenging squad! Three back to back promotions would be an awesome achievement!

Just wait to see what's been spent of it as well

Season 3 Preseason

Transfers Out

Well this season we didn't have the added complication of releasing all the playing staff as we definitely had a team we were able to build on that could compete in League 2. We did have a few issues though with 3 release clauses being met for key players but since they were all brought in on free transfers we made a 100% profit on all of them bringing in some more good money for the club.

ThEd0GC.png

To make £700k at this level from transfers is season changing in its on never mind on top of the budget we already had with 75% of sales being added.

Transfers In

Over the course of the transfer window we brought in another 10 players which should add to the quality and depth at the cub and again can hopefully sell for a profit down the line to help us keep improving. The big thing for me is that 3 seasons in I have signed the first player under my reign that has a transfer fee. Its only £52k but its a model I want to continue as long as possible so we can reinvest the cash elsewhere in the club.

PvLQLrD.png

Once I start buying regens then I'll start to go through the players individually but my biggest signing has to be Jonathon Leko on a free transfer as he has been a regular in the Championship before dropping down to join us in League 2, he even has Premier League experience from when he first broke onto the scene in 2015.

Preseason

jlQcWTU.png

A fairly strong preseason which was good as we brought in a lot of new players which had to get use to the training and how we want to play for the season aheead.

Expectations

sMn4Cz0.png

Thankfully the board don't expect another crazy cup run and it looks like as long as we win our first game in it then we should be fine. As for the league I expect to be in the top half of the table come the end of it.

The Start

jJW8fgv.png

I would of preferred a home game to start and somebody a bit easier than Salford but we'll go there and give it our best shot.

Coaching Badge

JfUiLEM.png

I continue my education and it will be next summer before I can go for the final one.​

August

Salford v York City

18nDuPw.png

What a start to our season as we take a big scalp in beating Salford easily and Garrick even got a debut goal as well to get us a big 3 points.

Caraboa Cup 1st Round
York City v Sheffield Wednesday

JTbRI2e.png

I went into this game expecting to lose but we took a big scalp again to move into the 2nd round.

York City v Exeter City

gZ03e4z.png

What a game. The end to the first half was spectacular with 2 very late goals in extra time. I was a wee bit worried they might peg us back but we hold on for the 3 points.

Accrington Stanley v York City

YsKeo1W.png

We get our third win on the bounce here and its our first clean sheet as well to show that our defence is up to it his season.

Caraboa Cup 2nd Round
York City v Leicester

40OIJhw.png

Well I've not got a clue on how we managed this but we deserved the win after being 2-0 up and then throwing it away but we rally right at the last minute to find the winner to get into the 3rd round

League

Na1mYDG.png

Well we are at the end of the table that I want and it shows we will not be in the relegation dog fight. Could another promotion be on the cards.

September

0RLliLO.png

We continue in the league with winnable games this month. We also have a decent game against Middlesbrough to play which we have to have every hope for after the last round.​

September

York City v Stevenage

3sRsQhc.png

A tough game here but an early goal is enough to continue our winning streak

Papa John's Trophy
York City v Tranmere

BbVK92L.png

Our wingers seem to be our main source of goals again this season but it does show how strong we are there.

Barrow v York City

fXV0djW.png

A much better 2nd half here and a great 6 minutes for us to find 2 quick goals.

York City v Sutton United

R9j1JZQ.png

It really was a tale of two halves here as we raced to a 4-0 lead at half time but then the result looked in doubt by the end of it as we nearly managed to throw it away.

York City v Harrogate Town

ZAtb6JI.png

I missed out on a new striker in the summer but Dom Telford is showing that he can still do it in league football.

Caraboa Cup 3rd Round
York City v Middlesbrough

67loIao.png

We are getting another cup run on the go here but sadly there isn't prize money but its a great win and shows just how good our squad is this season.

Doncaster v York City

wO41zJY.png

This was a disappointing result as we drop points for the first time this season but we did manage to pull it back to get a point.

League

rI0jj6u.png

We've got a nice 5 point lead at the top of the table and hopefully that will continue to grow now.

October

BqJEttQ.png

A big month with 8 games to get through so rotation is going to be key this month to get through them all.

Transfers

We made another signing and its one I've been after for a while now but never been able to tie him down or even get him in on trial but we can announce Welsh international Matt Smith who was released by Man City at the end of the last season.

gCVQhR5.png

Contract

I have also extended my contract for another 2 years as well

PJUg90k.png

October

AFC Wimbledon v York City

URfCwtN.png

Or wingers again showing how important they are to us with the goal threat they provide for the club.

Papa Johns Trophy
York City v Manchester City U23's

XrKdZZp.png

We are lucky that Man City's promising youngsters are out on loan so we were able to take advantage of it to secure qualification from the group after 2 games

York City v Port Vale

VWsf1bq.png

A great all round performance from the team as we run out well deserved winners across the 2 halves.

York City v Cheltenham

2D9AIWT.png

Our toughest game for a while and it was a nervy final 10 minutes as we got put on the back foot but we held on for the 3 points.

Newport County v York City

y3UUJZl.png

A pretty boring game where neither team were able to get into the game but at least its still a point.

Crewe v York City

2EHfIwa.png

We get back to winning ways and its our two main players that get on the score sheet with Telford. I can see it being a struggle to hold onto them for long.

Caraboa Cup 4th Round
York City v Wycombe

JktwuB5.png

A good result in the cup here where our wingers let other players get in on the scoring for a change.

League

pqndYYH.png

We grow our lead at the top of the table and its looking good that we'll be getting another promotion come the end of the season.

November

DLVGMwx.png

Another busy month ahead with 7 games but we also start our journey in the FA Cup again. How far can we go this season.​

November

York City v Walsall

cBEkCEo.png

Leko gets us off to a very fast start but and make it a lot more comfortable with the second but it was still a nervy end to the game after their goal.

Tranmere v York City

The game looked to be going to a draw and then everything changed in the final 13 minutes as we took it up a gear and managed a well worked 4 goals.

FA Cup 1st Round
York City v Forest Green

NAD8NbJ.png

Sadly Forest Green didn't stand a chance as we raced to a 3-0 lead in the opening 17 minutes and after that the place in the 2nd round was ours.

Papa Johns Trophy
Doncaster v York City

OJzfNOP.png

We seem to be very good at scoring quick fire doubles at the moment as we win the final group game to go through with a 100% record

Morecambe v York City

aP3jJBf.png

This was hard to take as we conceded with one of the final kicks of the ball to throw 2 points away.

York City v Colchester

RIfnKVB.png

We're only half way through the season and Telford is nearly at his total from last season. He has really stepped up to lead the line for us.

York City v Bradford City

SDzoqfJ.png

Another routine win for us but it does see Matt Smith score his first goal for the club curling in a lovely free kick for us.

League

XpIWbgp.png

We maintain our 8 point lead at the top of the table and we still look better to fill one of the automatic promotion spaces.

December

Animx07.png

9 games this month which is crazy but this will continue on our way up the leagues sadly so got to get use to it​