Aberdeen Back where it all began

• Thread starter Thread starter Mr_Grieves
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 595
  • Views Views 176K

Euro 2020 Finals Draw
This could be a interesting group. Germany should win the group but there's little between Scotland and Austria while Greece historically become a much better team at the Euro's.

View attachment 109693

On a side note i did not pay enough attention to how qualifying works and it makes no sense here. Denmark on 11 points made the play offs but Lithuania on 15 did not. Sadly i didnt keep any pictures of the final qualifying tables so i guess we'll go through this again in 4 years time.

May

We were 10 minutes away a Munich Cup final

Fixtures

Champions League S/F 1st Leg
Aberdeen 0-1 Atletico Madrid
View attachment 109692
Class showed and Aberdeen really struggled to ever get out of the box, Suspension to the entire left wing Granger & De Preville did not help

Hibs 2-3 Aberdeen
View attachment 109691
A tough stretch of games but we had to rotate the players a bit and despite this we rushed into a 2 goal lead. Zak Rudden got a goal before half time that made the game interesting. for a while till Jack secured the game.

Celtic 1-1 Aberdeen
View attachment 109690
The weakest team i think we've ever put out against Celtic but this is different times and Paul Hartley is starting to see teh size of the job he has on his hands. To be fair to them they did lead the game at half time but back up striker fresh from signing a new deal Alex Ronningen kept the unbeaten dream alive

Champions League S/F 2nd Leg
Atletico Madrid 2-2 Aberdeen
Agg Atletico 3-2 Aberdeen
View attachment 109689
What a thrilling event this was considering Madrid had it in the bag from the first leg then the opening goal from Iheanacho should have settled the nerves. Amazingly Klein first gave us hope on the half time whistle pulling one back but the true moment of magic when we took the lead on the night and in the tie thanks to Madrid's center back Diego Godin. We were just starting to dream of a improbable final when Spanish striker Paco Alcacer saved Atletico from become another notch on the bed post and ended a great European dream. Reaching the Semi finals, despite being lucky with the draw i had a last 16 at best for our expectations but this run could change the clubs future. Klein and Ronnining have already signed new deals how many more can we tie up and stop being a selling club right in time for Brexit.

Aberdeen 3-1 Hearts
View attachment 109688
Pressure was off after finishing the Champions League run and this was the champions playing at there best. Diks & Macauley from the right wing and the ever reliable Garcia with the third

Dundee 0-0 Aberdeen
View attachment 109687
Only 2 games from the unbeaten season this was not what my heart needed. Dundee only had a few chances but anytime the screen turned blue i shat myself. I'll never be more grateful to Ali Msakni for keeping a clean sheet.

Aberdeen 3-0 Rangers
View attachment 109686
One final test and Rangers had the chance to stop us but in the end scored 2 of our goals with a De Preville strike to secure an amazing legacy that will be tough to ever repeat.

Final SPFL Table
View attachment 109685
Aberdeen finish unbeaten but fall 1 point short of the all time record set by Celtic in 2002. Gap stayed at around 30 points for quite a while so maybe this will be much closer next season? Hibs just managed to beat Rangers to 2nd and i think that mean the SPL has 2 Champions League spots and neither will go to a old firm side. there was no change apart from the bottom two. St Mirren beat Dunfermline on the final day to jump 1 point above them and relegate Dunfermline giving St Mirren a chance in the play off. Could you imagine a team looking 29 games but staying in the top flight!

Scottish Cup Final 2019/20

Aberdeen vs Hibs

View attachment 109592View attachment 109591
A repeat of last years final where we wont 3-0. Also on the line as well as retaining our title is the domestic treble and with that a first even unbeaten domestic campaign

Formations
View attachment 109590
Neil Lennon's Christmas tree formation has turned them into the 2nd best team in the country

Match
Aberdeen 5-0 Hibs
View attachment 109589
A perfect way to end a dominant season. Klein scored twice in the first half as did Frizzell and even one of Hibs defenders got in on the act and we were 4 clear by half time. We got another from Rey in the 90th minute.

Domestic Season Record
P47 W41 D6 L0

Unreal going the whole domestic season unbeaten!! Imagine if St Mirren stay up after losing 29 ganes??????

End Of Season 2019/20 Review

Scotland
View attachment 109433
After two frustrating seasons struggling to win the title this is one of the most dominant league wins i've had in football manager. 32 wins and no defeats will be a record that will be nearly impossible to match. Team of the year comfortably goes to Hibs who held of a late Rangers charge to finish 2nd and get into the Champions League qualifiers. They will have to make more signings in the summer but have a pretty decent squad as it stands. Rangers back in 3rd place were the best of the Old Firm finishing just behind Hibs in 3rd having there best season since they won the league. Hearts were 4th coming late into the race for 2nd spot but ran out of gas in the last few games. Celtic were by a long way the disappointment of the season. 5th place is beyond any form of disaster the Parkhead board could have dreamed up. Rodgers had to go. Either side of our title fight last year they finished 3rd and were only 6th when he was removed. Big job for former Dundee boss Paul Hartley who's side have always pushed above there weight, ever finishing below a team with a smaller budget and once again finishing in the top half. Partick were on the verge of another top 6 finish and can have no shame with 7th ahead of Inverness CT, Falkirk & Raith who all spent the season in no mans land non looking like challenging the top 6 but miles clear of the bottom 2. St Mirren beat Dunfermline after the split to get a second chance at survival which they lost to Ross County.

View attachment 109453

Championship winner Greenock Morton funded by a tycoon are back in the top flight for the first time since 1988. There last 2 campaigns in the Scottish top flight seen them conceded 100 goals in both campaigns. Ross County join them after firstly finishing tied on 60 point with Morton but with a worse goal difference. Forfar went down but Livingston survived a playoff. The mighty Berwick Rangers made the big step to the Championship while Cowdenbeath were the only side going to League 2 where they will swap with Stranraer. Morton drop out of the league after conceding a 90th minute equalizer then loosing a penalty shoot out.

Aberdeen are now the top ranked team in Scotland
View attachment 109452

Big 4 league review
View attachment 109451
Atletico Madrid win a vintage La Liga season after a season long fight with Barcelona. Real Madrid and Atletic Bilbao reach the champions league while usual suspects Sevilla. Villarreal and Malaga are in the Europa league. Valencia in 9th were let down team of the year.
In England the past winners curse strikes again with Tottenham doing the double just beating Man Utd to both the League and FA Cup. Liverpool & Man Citys manager swap did nothing to help either of them as another season of Europa league football awaits both.
Identical top 4 the only change was Napoli running away with a dominant title win 10 points clear at the top.
I missed the German league again having said that it changed to the playoffs on the day the other leagues finished. Anyway back to point. Your getting a picture this year due to the results. Leverkusen had a hug lead going into the final month led by former Celtic striker Moussa Dembele but Bayern almost caught them up but thankfully they held on so that every major league had had different winners. Could argue France Ligue 1 but not so fast! Monaco had the best season in any major league possibly ever! as they and SPG's record made a mockery of my SPL title. Eden Hazards former team Lille finished bottom
View attachment 109449
View attachment 109448

Early Summer Manager Change
Martin Canning - Dundee

Aberdeen 2019/20
View attachment 109447
The wingers were the key. All except Frizzell led the team in Ave Ratings but then again De Preville and Diks are the two best players along with Klein and Garcia up top. Gibson came in and made our defense instantly better. Great bit of business for £3m

Aberdeen Fans player if the year
View attachment 109446
Our first ever repeat winner since all previous players were sold. I said last year
"I have no plans to sell Klein. He's contracted till 2023 with no buy out clause and he wont get a new contract without signing one without a no buy out clause! Only way he'll leave is if Mr Milne forces a move through"
All good as Klein recently signed a new deal till 2025 with no get out clauses.

Aberdeen Finances
Final balance £42.7m +£24m
View attachment 109444

Huge profit from the Champions League as you would expect as usual the deductions from the tax man and shareholders didnt hold us up.

Other Competitions

Champions League
Paris SG 2-0 Atl Madrid
View attachment 109442
Moneybags FC retain the title. Its going to take a miracle to overcome these French sides.

Europa League
Real Madrid 2-0 Chelesa
View attachment 109441
What a line up for the Europa League.

Scottish teams in Europe 2019/20
Aberdeen - Champions League S/F
Celtic - Champions League Group Phase
Rangers - Europa League group phase
Dundee - Europa League Play off
Partick Thistle - Europa League 3rd qualifiers

European Rankings
View attachment 109440
Aberdeen continue to climb, Now 34th in Europa after last seasons amazing run. Celtic are 57th and Rangers almost make it into the top 100 at 104th

Awards

SPL Player of the year
Nicholas De Preville
View attachment 109438
Just sneaked past last years winner Matthias Klein and new attacker Borja Garcia. Two of these are 29 and will be in there 30's next year.

SPL Young Player of the year
Alan Granger
View attachment 109437
The kids a monster. Still only 18 and he's already played over 100 games for Aberdeen. I think we have ourselves a career save player.

SPL Top Scorer
Matthias Klein - 25
View attachment 109436
Almost identical record to last season but this time the chasing pack was so close. Joe Dodoo had a break through season and Lewis Vaughan at Inverness. Will they both stay at there clubs for next season and will Leigh Griffiths return to the top 3 in his 30th year?

Scottish team of the year
View attachment 109435
Ozturk continued his form of having a better season every year, Dodoo's second place in the scoring charts helped him join Scotland's new midfield hope John McGinn

Out of the EU
View attachment 109434
Hot topic of today Its now confirmed. We've not managed to do any deals or the last while but i just noticed the Bosman rule has also been scrapped. Never heard of that before! Anyone want to fill me in?

Fantastic work mate, took me about 17 seasons to get Hibs into the semi-finals of the Champions League! Good to see us doing so well on your save, seeing Lee Wallace in the line up for the cup final you won 5-0 made me vomit mind!

Fantastic work mate, took me about 17 seasons to get Hibs into the semi-finals of the Champions League! Good to see us doing so well on your save, seeing Lee Wallace in the line up for the cup final you won 5-0 made me vomit mind!

What was worse 5-0 or Lee Wallace

Scotland Euro 2020

View attachment 109322

The Squad
View attachment 109325
I've tried to make the squad more youthful so dont look at Darren Fletcher and laugh! John McGinn is not guaranteed to keep that MC place. Jack may nick it from him and Gauld was unlucky to miss the pick.

Warm Up Games

Scotland 3-0 Georgia
View attachment 109324

Scotland 2-1 Italy
View attachment 109323
Result looks great but Dickson & Cairney, both starting players were injured and will miss the tournament

European Championships

Group B

Germany 0-5 Scotland
View attachment 109148
What a legandery half of football. Can't quite put it into words mainly that i cant explain what happened or how. Was pretty happy with it being 0-0 at half time. then in the second half Germany got some Brazil 2014 treatment Ryan Christie and Griffiths got a goal each before Christie got sent off. We went all out defense and struck Germany on the counter with Griffiths second. Germany went all out attack and amazingly we struck another 2 goals to cap a the most amazing night in Scottish football history

Scotland 3-0 Greece
View attachment 109147
Still on a high from the Germany game we did a "Aberdeen" and knocked Greece out with 3 quick goals past Greece.

Austria 0-3 Scotland
View attachment 109145
Both sides were through going into this so all that was at stake was top spot. Were without 3 of our 4 Center midfielders but had Ryan Christie back, well for 45 minutes before he got sent off for the 2nd time in 3 games possibly ending his international career and putting his Aberdeen future in jeopardy. That aside we put on an amazing performance first goals for Alex Davey and Barry Bannan as we win to make it 3 wins out of 3 and finish with a score of 11-0

Final Table
View attachment 109144
Only the top 2 teams go through. Russia were the only other major nation to miss out. Much smaller nations like Kosovo, Georgia and Albania all make the last 16

Last 16 Draw
Ukraine vs Scotland
View attachment 109143
So the last 16 is set. Feel sorry for Belgium and Italy drawing each other. But not so much since we'll play them in the Quarter Finals if we make it.

European Championships

View attachment 109140

Last 16

Ukraine vs Scotland
View attachment 109142 View attachment 109141

Ukraine 2-2 Scotland
Pens Ukraine 4-2 Scotland
View attachment 109139
After our wonders in the group phase this performance shocked me a little. We were totally out played by Ukraine. They got there deserved lead through Petryak. Matt Ritchie was not ready to go home and forced Extra time with a late equalizer. One man who was ready to go home was 36 year old Darren Fletcher who to be fair was up way past his bed time got sent off 4 minutes into extra time. This didnt stop Oliver Burke punching his mark on the squad with a wonder goal to put us in front. Ukraine would have felt robbed had they not at least forced penaltys in which the lottery swung the other teams way this time. Despite meeting the FA's targets i feel this is a bit of a disappointment

All Results
View attachment 109138
Kosovo's heroics take them to at least the Semi Finals no other major shocks.

Pre Season 2020/21

A summer that can only get 10/10 when it comes to keeping players, buying players and sorting out contracts. On the flip side we had to gamble on stocking our side up with a stacked first team, lots on loan and a overflowing under 20s including a few players without work permits.

Manager Changes
Brendan Rodgers - Valencia
Didier Deschamps - Bilbao
Pep Guardiola - Arsenal
Jochin Low - Switzerland
Iwan Stewart - Wales
Luciano Spalletti - Belgium
Arsene Wenger - France
Rafa Benitez - Germany
Roberto Mancini - Italy
Age Hareide - Ireland
Martin O'Neil - N Ireland

Euro 2020
View attachment 109045
Not so bad getting beaten by Ukraine after all. They got all the way to the final and are runners up despite never winning a game in 90 minutes! Sound familiar

View attachment 109044
A Scottish Player made the starting 11 in the Euro's dream team. Safe to say thats Center backs sorted for the next decade

Season Targets
SPL - Winners
Scottish Cup - Win
League Cup - Win
Champions League - Last 16

With the huge wages were paying from now we have to at least get to the last 16 of the Champions League.

Pre season friendly's
View attachment 109043
We thrashed everyone we faced except West Ham who we beat in our final game.

Pre Season Prices
View attachment 109042
In a role reversal Aberdeen are now favorites. Only 3s despite having all 11 spots in the media dream 11! We spent a lot to make this happen and Celtic brought in a profit on transfers a familiar Aberdeen story of yesterdays.

Fixtures
View attachment 109041
Rangers in the 2nd game of the season and Celtic games during fixture congested times of the year. SPL's blind fixture team strike again.

Transfers
Transfer records smashed on the way to signing several quality players

Aberdeen Transfers
View attachment 109040

Calum Chambers DR
View attachment 109039
Welcome the new transfer record holder, The third defender in a row to take that title. I was in a hole when it came to getting a right back so to find Chambers on the transfer list was a god send but i feel like i've taken a massive risk and gone a tad unrealistic in spending such levels of money. Then remember if you were offered a starting spot on a team that almost reached the Champions League final or a spot rotting in a teams u23s which would you choose

Serge Gnabry ML
View attachment 109038
This summer is quickly becoming the 2012 Arsenal youth team! Gnabry has to be the best player to appear on a free in the summer where there has been some amazing players available. His wages are astronomical but if worst comes to worst we'll make a huge profit off him. He'll start on the left wing from day 1

Isaac Pereira MR
View attachment 109015
The summer moves may seem harsh of Frizzell but he was my clear weak link up top last year so grabbing this Portugese prospect who is ready to start now and can surly improve even more.

Oussama Tannane AM
View attachment 109012
Meet Isaac's insurance policy. Can play in any of the front 4 positions and will be depth till a good offer comes in. Basically the Kenny McLean role

Markus Henriksen MC
View attachment 109010
This guys name will be a disaster to remember. Dons fans will notice its very similar to a former player that also played in the midfield

Steven Bergwijn ML
View attachment 109007
The first sad story of the season. Bergwijn was first approached before i signed Gnabry but lucky for him Sporting Lisbon has taken him on loan for a year

Hirvin Lozano ML
View attachment 109005
On a usual summer this would be the deal of the year and i must say im astounded that this world class player agreed to sign for Aberdeen. But and this is a huge but, he has no work permit. I Knew there would be no danger of him getting a loan move so see minimal risk of paying him £35k a year to go on loan till we get a work permit sorted.

Darren Randolph was brought in as we are far to big a team not to have a decent back up keeper these days and 3 other youths sign up. Khumalo leaves on loan as he's without a work permit
View attachment 108997View attachment 108996View attachment 108994View attachment 108992

Out
Our first summer without a profit on transfers but we still moved on a few players. Glenn Stevens demanded a move after i broke some promise to him, no idea what it was but west ham offered £3.8m for a player that showed almost no development and a bad attitude. The next offer shocked me even more. Kenny McLean has hardly kicked a ball in anger since his major injury last summer and there was a £3m offer from Nottingham Forrest for a player i was wanting too sell in the summer anyway. Squad players Cammy Smith and Joel Larsson moved on for a total of £300k. Dundee seem to like the look of our u19 team after loaning 3 of them for the season.

World Transfers
View attachment 109036
View attachment 109034
Seen the June transfers and was all ready to comment on the French sides then July reminded us that Real Madrid, Man City and Bayern did not get poor, Just quiet. Dont quite get the £84m signing of Oussmane Dembele after only providing 17 goals and 15 assist from 4 seasons in Madrid

SPL Transfers
View attachment 109031
Not for the first time Jason Cummings is the main non Aberdeen move as he returns to Hibs who also splash cash on Idriss Saadi and Sam Johnson. Celtic were all about the sales this summer with there only purchase being a 31 year old defender from Lugo, Rangers spent £3m having there best summer so far. Morton offered me £3m for a player but only spent a total of £600k!

Squad
View attachment 109028
View attachment 109026
There's going to be a lot to fight for this year. Without doubt next year will be a selling summer with all the additions this year with the dangers of Brexit encouraged me to overfill the squad. Do doubting were better at all levels thanks to the summers additions.

Youth team
View attachment 109022
Progression again with very few players moving to the senior squad. had to miss out the loaned players so you can see who's actually in this squad.

Starting 11
View attachment 109019
4 new signing are all set to start right away but over the year the old guard will get there chances if things go wrong.

August

Perfect start in the league, Tough draw in Europe, lots of youths leave on loan

Fixtures

Aberdeen 4-0 Inverness CT
View attachment 108787
Klein was clearly upset that he didnt retain his player of the year award and made a early statement that he wants it back

Betfred Cup 2nd Round
Falkirk 0-4 Aberdeen
View attachment 108786
Scary that this was the back up team

Rangers 1-3 Aberdeen
View attachment 108785
Rangers worried us with a goal right from kick off however Klein once again scored a hatrick

Aberdeen 4-0 Hearts
View attachment 108784
The form team at the end of last year were destroyed

Partick 0-2 Aberdeen
View attachment 108783
Closest thing to a contest we've had but still no danger of dropping points.

SPFL Table
View attachment 108782
4 games and 4 wins. Klein looks like a monster this year and the Old Firm look to be back to some sort of normality

Champions League Draw
View attachment 108781
Not such a easy draw this time. Man Utd are the top team in England once again. Napoli got over 90 points in Serie A but if worst comes to worst Lech wont keep us from the Europa League.

Celtic get a easy Europa League group with Inter being the only class team, Hearts have a Champions League quality group with Marsille, Udinese and Schalke, Struggling Rangers will face Juventus and Red Bull Leipzig, Hibs went out at the Playoff Stage

August Transfer Window
View attachment 108780

Aberdeen
Squad was too big to buy anyone else but we've loaned out 3 players and sold our only player with a realistic buy out clause. Alex Ronnining our back up striker would not sign a new deal without buy out clause which has worked in one way as when he signed the offers for him were less than £5m and i should not complain about league record sum being payed for one of my players who happens to be a back up.

World Transfers
View attachment 108779
Noting stand out despite some huge fee's

SPL Transfers

Rangers reinvest money from over rated win back Taverneir and Morton open the cheque book i had been talking about.

Finally caught up on this, outstanding work as usual. I still remember your "Saving the Scottish Game" story, one of the best I've ever read and one of the stories that inspired me to write my own a while back. Keep up the good work!

Finally caught up on this, outstanding work as usual. I still remember your "Saving the Scottish Game" story, one of the best I've ever read and one of the stories that inspired me to write my own a while back. Keep up the good work!

Thank man that means a lot. We do miss your Soton story's every year! You still playing?

Scotland
September Fixtures

I guess it has a lot to do with our group stage performance but were up to 9th in the world rankings
View attachment 108705

European League Draw
View attachment 108706
Much harder draw this time after both these teams made it to the Euro's. If we win this then were into the Divison B. Only 4 game so we'll have 2 friendlys against Spain and Jamaica to fill in the time

Squad
View attachment 108704
Dickson, McGinn and Fraser are now starter. Cooper & Davey will have there chances to take a starting spot

European League Match 1
Scotland 3-0 Russia
View attachment 108702
The Russians didnt even manage a shot on target

European League Match 2
Albania 2-5 Scotland
View attachment 108701
My 50th game as Scotland boss and a Leigh Griffiths master class seen him take his tally in that time to 44 goals. Albania's two goals came at the end long after the game was over.

Table
View attachment 108699
6 Points clear at the top. Great start

Unlucky in Euro2020 to go out by penalties! But a strong start to league form once again

September

We have our most destructive month ever in the SPL, 21 goals from 3 games. squeaked through in the Cup but the Champions League had been a disaster

Fixtures

Raith 1-5 Aberdeen
View attachment 108614
Klein leads us to victory with another Hattrick

Champions League Match 1
Napoli 3-1 Aberdeen
View attachment 108613
frustrating trip to Naples. De Preville had drawn us level at half time but two Napoli goals in a minute gave Napoli the first 3 points of the group

Aberdeen 8-0 Ross County
View attachment 108612
The second time in the league we break the goals per game record

Betfred Cup Q/F
Rangers 0-1 Aberdeen
View attachment 108610
A tight game where the over riding skill of Gnabry was the difference

Morton 1-8 Aberdeen
View attachment 108609
For the second time in a month we break the SPL goals a game record with some help from Morton for the 9th goal.

Champions League Match 2
Aberdeen 0-1 Lech
View attachment 108608
This is as angry as i should get with a computer game. Champions League qualification already looks ruined and without beating Lech in our final game we might be out of Europe!

SPFL Table
View attachment 108607
Celtic are back and the only side in our league! Falkirk take Dundee's place in the top 6, Partick make an abysmal start.

Champions League
View attachment 108606
Its as Grim as you could imagine

Back