Aberdeen Back where it all began

• Thread starter Thread starter Mr_Grieves
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 595
  • Views Views 176K
How do you get over the home grown requirement in Europe with so many foreign signings ?

March

Short month with the international break but no change to the established order.

Fixtures

Scottish Cup Q/F
Aberdeen 2-0 Hibs
View attachment 107188
Goals in either half from the Frizzell & Klein strike force

Aberdeen 4-0 Celtic
View attachment 107187
Serge Gnabry almost played a full game of football but like most comebacks he went off injured after doing the damage. He's putting our physio's kids through collage

Hibs 1-3 Aberdeen
View attachment 107186
Shared the glory with Klein last time but with the Aussie striker already off on International duty Frizzell did all the work himself

SPFL Table
View attachment 107185
Title will be in town by early April. Despite Celtic's efforts to loose the title asap. Celtic themselves look set for 2nd while the fight for 5th stays between Rangers, Hibs and Falkirk. Hearts have done enough for 6th. The bottom 4 finally get some separation as Inverness pull away from Raith and Ross County while Morton fall 4 points behind them at the bottom.

Scotland
March Fixtures

Squad
All injured players from November are back

World Cup Qualifyer Match 1
Russia 5-2 Scotland
View attachment 107112
This was the worst half of football the Scottish nation has possibly ever been treated too. Back at Aberdeen were used to being 5 goals ahead at half time but not 5 goals behind! Griffiths restored some form of dignity with 2nd half goals but were in a hole right off the bat in this campaign

World Cup Qualifyer Match 2
Scotland 2-2 Switzerland
View attachment 107111
Just when it couldnt be worse we drop points at home after leading 2-0. We even had 30 minutes to get the win but never really looked like doing so.

Table
View attachment 107110
This is maybe looking much harder than i anticipated. Were 4th of the teams that have a shot of winning the group and already well 5 or 3 points behind the other teams.

April

Fixtures

Aberdeen 4-0 Dundee
View attachment 107109
This result secured a third in a row and easier title so far with no European action to interfere

Falkirk 0-3 Aberdeen
View attachment 107108
Time has come to start giving youth players and the back up players a shot. Frizzell and Klein went off injured to make sure i'll be even more cautious while trying to remain unbeaten

Scottish Cup S/F
Rangers 2-3 Aberdeen
View attachment 107107
We threw away a 2 goal first half lead as Jamie Walker & Peter Grant forced extra time. Serge Gnabry was sent off as all the momentum moved to Rangers until captain Ryan Jack struck a priceless winning goal with only 3 minutes of extra time to go to put us in another Cup Final

Aberdeen 2-1 Rangers
View attachment 107106
Once again we were two goals clear at half time and Rangers pulled one back and it all felt like dejavu. Thankfully neither team scored again and we won our final game against Rangers this season.

SPFL Table
View attachment 107105
We race towards a points record, Playing the youth may put a stop to that. Falkirk look to have fallen out of the race for 3rd but still an amazing season. Raith Rovers are the form team of the league and will probably secure a spot in the league next year. Inverness are only 4 points clear of Ross County while Morton need snookers to survive now 5 points off 11th placed County

May

Fixtures

Hibs 0-0 Aberdeen
View attachment 107011

Celtic 1-1 Aberdeen
View attachment 107011
Klein and Griffiths lead there teams to a point as for the second game in a row a player is sent off near the end to almost cost us the unbeaten run

Hearts 0-2 Aberdeen
View attachment 107010
A preview of the Scottish Cup final although we'll have a far stronger team on that day

Aberdeen 1-0 Falkirk
View attachment 107009
Was there any other way to end the season than Klein scoring the winning goal?

SPFL final table
View attachment 107008
Aberdeen finish 1 point off Celtic's all time record. Ross County had an abysmal run in the bottom 6 and go down. Morton fight to force a play off

Just wanted to say I've been a silent reader full way through (catch up on lunch breaks) but thought I'd post a message of congrats after doing 2 seasons unbeaten in the league, truly incredible.

Hope you keep this save going, would love to see you win Champions League.

I love that lopsided Top Goalscorer tally :P Congrats on another great season - domestically anyway, hopefully next season you will do better in Europe too

Just wanted to say I've been a silent reader full way through (catch up on lunch breaks) but thought I'd post a message of congrats after doing 2 seasons unbeaten in the league, truly incredible.

Hope you keep this save going, would love to see you win Champions League.

Thanks. Thats how i first got into using this site almost 10 years ago! Winning the Champions League is the ultimate target. Hopefully next year we'll be back in the knockout phase at least

I love that lopsided Top Goalscorer tally :P Congrats on another great season - domestically anyway, hopefully next season you will do better in Europe too

54 league goals :O

It was good but he'll be back next year to take on the best season's ever. Last years 54 goals would only be enough for 8th on the all time league scorer's list
View attachment 106938

And there's a lot of work before he joins the 27 players with more than 500 career goals
View attachment 106937

Scottish Cup Final 2021

View attachment 106778

Hearts Vs Aberdeen
View attachment 106777 View attachment 106776

Line ups
View attachment 106775

I wonder who inspired Hearts formation?

Hearts 0-3 Aberdeen AET
View attachment 106774
We seen one of the most boring first 90 minutes in this or any save. Both sides had chances but it felt more like a warm up than a cup final. Extra time belonged to Aberdeen however Klein scored two more goals to add to his record total and a 3rd Borja Garcia goal secured the treble treble and second unbeaten Scottish season

Domestic Season Record
P47 W41 D6 L0

Past Two seasons unbeaten
P94 W82 D12 L0

Yep the last 2 seasons have been identical. amazing stuff

Scotland
June Fixtures

Squad

World Cup Qualifier match 3
Kosovo 2-1 Scotland
View attachment 106694
Our nightmare start shows no signs of improvement as the newest team in the European qualifying stages. Kosovo hd a 2 goal lead before a second half goal from Griffiths gave us hope but no points.

World Cup Qualifier match 4
Estonia 1-4 Scotland
View attachment 106692
We finally get our first win. against the basement dwellers. Griffiths got his hatrick and is now on 55 goals for Scotland. Now in his 30's we need to find his long term replacement

Table
View attachment 106691
Were almost at the half way stage and were 5 points from the top 3. Next seasons defense will have to up there game several levels to make the 2022 world cup.

Darren Fletcher retires
View attachment 106690

End of Season 2020/21

Scotland

Last season i said our record of 32 wins would be nearly impossible to match. Well so much for that. Still not hit Celtic record points haul so that plus Hearts 132 goals in one season, our best is 125 and finally Celtic's 25 wins in a a row are the three records we will have our sights on for next season while keeping our amazing unbeaten run going. Were now at 78 SPL matches and 97 games overall in all Scottish football competitions without defeat. The 78 league run is the second best in European history behind Steaua Bucuresti's 106 game unbeaten run from 1986-1989 although we dont have a commie government controlling our players. Paul Hartley can consider his first full season at Celtic a success as he matched Brendon Rodgers best season total points with a weaker squad. Rangers, Falkirk and Hibs had there private battle over the Europa League places. Hearts were the final team in the top 6 and had a great end of a season. Dundee were not good enough for the top 6 but too good for bottom 6. Partick were also stuck in no mans land but tied with Raith who finished the season on fire pulling well clear of the other bottom sides. Inverness tied with Morton on 29 points but Morton's significantly worse goal difference had them in the play off spots which proved to be vital as Motherwell thrashed them in the final. while Ross County went right back to the Championships.

View attachment 106588

Hamilton are another team returning to the SPL winning the championship comfortably leaving behind Dundee Utd, Kilmarnock & St Johnstone but not Dunfermline who suffer back to back relegations. Berwick avoided following them thanks in large part to the league's top scorer Bob McHugh. Forfar won League 1 and are the only team coming up from there this season while Queens Park and Hampden return to League 2 finishing 1 point clear of bottom spot and then won there play off game to survive. The most dramatic league by a long way this term was League 2. The two remaining promoted sides Hawick & Brora fought out a season long battle for the title with Hawick taking the trophy home. Elgin City fell out of the league loosing to Vale of Leithen

View attachment 106587

Big League review
View attachment 106586
View attachment 106585

Atletico once again win a tight La Liga a point clear of Barcelona gaining revenge for getting put out of the Champions league by them again. Real Madrid were 4 points back while Real Socidad shocked the league by taking the Champions League spot while Villarreal miss out of Europe.
Man City won one of the closes Premiership's in a while with Tottenham one point behind and Arsenal only 3 off the title. familiar teams taking the European spots while Chelsea take there first FA Cup trophy in the save.
Juventus are back on top in Italy in a thrilling 4 way fight with Roma, Inter and defending champions Napoli missing out on the Champions league
Bayern won the Bundasliga by 13 points, Usual suspects Dortmund & Leverkusen are joined by the ever improving Hoffenheim in the Champions League while Stuttgart are the biggest team in Europe to be relegated so far.
Monaco fell 2 points short of last years total but still outscored even Aberdeen with 105 points with a comfortable gap to PSG who were even further clear of Lyon. PSG did win there 6th French cup in 7 seasons to save face

No Early Summer Manager changes

Aberdeen 2019/20
View attachment 106584
At this stage it may be time to say bye to Ryan Jack as a starting player while Ali Msakni also has a questionable season. Chambers had a great first season while Frizzell secured his place as the second striker in the team while Klein is nothing short of a monster

Aberdeen Fans player awards
View attachment 106583
Klein romps to the player of the year but im shocked that under 70% of fans voted for him despite all his scoring records

View attachment 106581
View attachment 106579
So here's the artwork behind what had to be by far my greatest single season performer from a striker. 54 league goals and 60 in totals. Unbeatable records.

Aberdeen Finances
Final Balance £39,7M -£3m

Our first Loss of money over a season. Most of that is down to the £18m of Champions league money we missed out on as well as ticket money from those games. Higher spending on wages will be addressed this summer.

Other Competitions

Champions League
Tottenham 1-0 Barcelona
View attachment 106577
Harry Kane thought it was 1999 with a stoppage time winner

Europa League
Schalke 1-3 Man City
View attachment 106576
Its a double for Man City, Sacking Pep is the best thing they ever did.

Scottish Teams in Europe
Aberdeen - Champions League Group Phase
Celtic - Europa League Group Phase
Hearts - Europa League Group Phase
Rangers - Europa League Group Phase
Hibs - Europa League Play Off

European Rankings
View attachment 106571
Aberdeen move up 1 spot despite a champions league horror show. Celtic & Rangers in the top 100

Awards

SPL Player of the year
Matthias Klein
View attachment 106575
A Aberdeen attackers benifit. All under 24 too.

SPL Young Player of the year
Isaac Pereira
View attachment 106574
3rd in the overall player of the year the 20 year old have been a revelation and will have pole position for holding onto the stating spot next year.

SPL Top Scorer
Matthias Klein - 54
View attachment 106573
Klein wins with a insane 54 goal haul, more than his last 2 winning total combined! A former Aberdeen striker Scott Wright finished 2nd. Maybe i shouldnt have let him got for free!

Scottish team of the year
View attachment 106572
Only 8 Dons players. This is because they used Frizzell as a right winger. Which he was until this season rather than a striker possibly costing us 2 spots. Joe Dodoo got on the left wing as i couldnt keep one fit but that will be different next season Trust me! Then Musonda at Celtic was far better than Ryan Jack in the midifield. Strangly it was back up player Henriksen not starter Roca that got in the team of the year.

Pre Season 2021/22

A summer that can only get 10/10 when it comes to keeping players, buying players and sorting out contracts. On the flip side we had to gamble on stocking our side up with a stacked first team, lots on loan and a overflowing under 20s including a few players without work permits.

A very strange summer with far more players leaving than joining. The EU ban is causing chaos to my transfer plans but we picked up a stunning French midfielder on a free and possibly the best regen DR in the save at almost double the record fee for a Scottish team.

Manager Changes
Cesare Prandelli - Seville
Igor Denisov - Spartak Moscow
Liam Fox - St Mirren
Laurent Blanc - Anderlecht
Fernando Hierro - Napoli

Season Targets
SPL - Winners
Scottish Cup - Win
League Cup - Win
Champions League - Last 16

We've cut back our spending and will spend less time trying to find a set starting 11 s we'll have a settled side going into the Champions League games.

Pre season friendly's
View attachment 106409
Amazingly we beat Wolfsburg, Arsenal and Barcelona but lost to French 2nd Division side Red Star FC! The final game against Barcelona saw me loose Scotland star CB Callum Dickson for 6 months & our new record signing for 2 months! Wantaway midfielder Fernando Rey was the stand out player in pre season.

Pre Season Prices
View attachment 106408
Looks like its the top 4 then the rest. Hearts end of season form last year reflects in there middle of the road on there own price. Motherwell, Hamilton and Raith are favorites for relegation

Transfers
Transfer records for a single deal and total sales are smashed but it came at a cost as several key players move on

Aberdeen Transfers
View attachment 106407

Axel Hock - DR
View attachment 106406
Our only major signing of the summer He's been on my "unrealistic" short list for years and when his team Mainz were relegated a realistic fee of £21.5m was the buy out clause but the expected offers from Bayern and the like never came and we had a unchallenged run at him. Thankfully the usual twats at the work permit office must of had a day off as we add a 3rd career player to our defense. IF We can convince him to stay long term at the end of his contract in 2026! Buy out fee is £60m

Thierry Richard - MC
View attachment 106405
Our only other 1st team signing in the window so far come from France on a free transfer. Had a promising start in his mid teens but never developed with Caen in the French 2nd division. Hoping to get his chance at Pittodrie

3 More players joining our a ever weakening u20 team
View attachment 106404View attachment 106403View attachment 106402

Out
5 regular starters from last seasons team move on. Last years record transfer Calum Chambers goes back to England with Southampton with our £11.25m immediately returned with another £4m to come over the next two years. His right wing man Isaac Pereira had £8m buy out clause that he was unwilling to negotiate so he moved on to Napoli. For £1m less the man that i expected to change the teams fortunes around Serge Gnabry went back home to Arsenal with £7m almost covering his medical bills. Most controversial move of the summer was long term captain Ryan Jack. He had a awful season compared to the rest of the squad and felt like he had not grown with the squad and its time to give others a chance. Jack can at least say he's now in the top 10 for overall Aberdeen appearances with 399 and still has a good few years to go down south and prove himself. Former starting player Christoher Jullien. He had sank to the depths of being a squad player so £4,5m cheque from Sunderland was enough to turn my head. Final major player on the move was Oussama Tannane. Never broke into a starting spot and with other wingers coming back from loans another £4m total return was not to be sniffed at. Two youth player's i couldnt get into the first team and was not willing to sign contract extensions were Karl Sveinsson & Miroslav Hora. One went to Dundee the other went to Real Madrid.....

World Transfers
View attachment 106401
View attachment 106400

This summer has been mental. The oil rich teams have spent huge sums while Man Utd spent £30m on Lewis Cook and another £30m on Wayne Walker who my Aberdeen players ran rings round 2 seasons ago when he was at Celtic on loan.

SPL Transfers
View attachment 106399
Take out Aberdeen and it a poor summer for the SPL with Celtic loosing a few key players. Hibs make less profile additions but the best of the youngsters that moved south Alen Brtan, Jack Munro and Joe Page all join there champions League challenge. Rangers biggest addition was 33 year old Adam Lallana.

SquadView attachment 106398
View attachment 106397
The starting team looks to have improved from the rest of the squad. Only the center of the midfield is up for questions. Ross Macauley will also be on a short leash as with him and Adam Smith the worry for this is this could be too soon?

Youth team
View attachment 106396
This is the weakest u20s team i've had since the first season thanks to Brexit

Starting 11
View attachment 106393
I've kept changes to a minimum. Hock was bought in as a once in a save addition. Smith gets the first shot at replacing Ryan Jack in the midfield while our star play Lozano finally has a work permit and is joined on the wing by u20 star Ross Maccauley who's name i never spell right

Great work as always. Another fine read. After 4 seasons all thats left to do in the save is win a european trophy

August

5 games, 5 wins all comfortable including thrashing Rangers on flag day

Fixtures

Aberdeen 4-0 Rangers
View attachment 106210
A quiet first half where Rangers held there own and knocked back our advances. The second half seen us return to last years form. 2 of the players returning from loans Lozano and 3rd choice right back Stephen got goals. Back up striker Lars Skutelis & Adam Fizzell got the other goals as we get the season off to a perfect start.

Betfred Cup 2nd Round
Aberdeen 6-1 Hamilton
View attachment 106209
With only two regular starters this had the potential to be a disaster against a fellow SPL team but the youngsters show our u19s are still a team with quality running through it especially since half of the goals from the u20s.

Raith 1-5 Aberdeen
View attachment 106208
Klein finally got his first goal of the season but was quickly cancelled out by there worst player Ricki Lamie. Borja got us back in front before the break and the scoring went mad once Raith went down to 10 men.

Aberdeen 2-0 Inverness CT
View attachment 106207
Klein got both goals

Aberdeen 3-1 Hearts
View attachment 106206
Hearts were the only other team to top the table at all this season as they scored the first SPL goal of the season. They showed no threat of doing so again as Klein got 2 and right back Landi pulled another one back

SPFL Table
View attachment 106205
Top 3 already look like they will soon run clear of the rest. Rangers start was abysmal as they only got there first win against winless side Motherwell

Champions League Draw
Group of Death
View attachment 106204
It couldnt have been much worse. There's a real chance we'll end up bottom again.

August Transfer Window

Aberdeen
View attachment 106203View attachment 106202View attachment 106201
Three u20s Join

World Transfers
View attachment 106199

SPL Transfers
View attachment 106198
Celtic have mini clear our and bring in youths and loans to plug the gaps, Hibs too loaned 3 more players as well as buying Rangers best wing back. Rangers buy Hamilton and Hearts back up players....

Scotland
September Fixtures

Squad
View attachment 106057
A few changes. Hibs wonder kid Ben Mcllroy is apparently the best in Scotland so he'll take over from Fletcher. Both my center back Hanley & Dickson are out injured

World Cup Qualifier Match
Scotland 6-1 Liechtenstein
View attachment 106056
This was nothing but a warm up fo the Russia match

World Cup Qualifier Match
Scotland 3-0 Russia
View attachment 106055
This game was win or bust for our qualifying chances and thanks to the big win with 3 second half goals were right back in the playoff battle

Table
View attachment 106054
That massive result combined with Estonia beating Kosovo has us right in the mix for that playoff spot. Snookers required to catch Switzerland in top spot.

September

Aberdeen are unbeaten in all competition taking there domestic form into a solid start in Europe

Fixtures

Falkirk 0-2 Aberdeen
View attachment 105942
Incredibly dirty game. Didnt realise the relations were so bad

Champions League Match 1
PSV 0-5 Aberdeen
View attachment 105941
An amazing start to the campaign that puts us firmly in pole position for 3rd place. Klein's hattrick is his announcement that this year he wants the Champions league golden boot as well

Celtic 1-1 Aberdeen
View attachment 105940
We drop points for the first time this season with all the action going down in the first 6 minutes

Betfair Cup Q/F
Aberdeen 3-0 QOTS
View attachment 105939
with only 3 regular starters we win convincingly against lower league opposition

Aberdeen 4-1 Dundee
View attachment 105938
Klein's two early goals were almost nulled by a Dundee fightback that lasted till early in the 2nd half

Champions League Match 2
Aberdeen 1-1 Juventus
View attachment 105937
We outplayed the Italian giants for most of the game but have to share the points once Klein pulled us level after Juventus hit us with a suckerpunch in the half hour

SPFL Table
View attachment 105936
Aberdeen lead the way but to the shock of us all Partick are in 2nd spot ahead of Celtic and Hibs. Rangers still looking to find some form in 7th only just got there 2nd win. Very bleak start for Motherwell & Falkirk who are still yet to win.

Champions League
View attachment 105935
We came very close to getting 6 points out of 6 but still i cant complain abut 4 points heading into our double header with Arsenal which will decide if were fighting for top 2 or 3rd place.

Scotland
October Fixtures

Squad
Same problems as last month. Both starting CB's are out

European Championships Qualifier Match
Switzerland 2-1 Scotland
View attachment 105902
The Swiss are a better team and won out in a tight game that leaves us having to win our last 3 games just to make the playoffs

European Championships Qualifier Match
Scotland 3-1 Kosovo
View attachment 105900
We HAD to win this game and despite a scare from Kosovo in the second half we won out, And the Swiss beat Russia to close the gap.

Table
View attachment 105896
We still need Russia to mess up one of there final games to get us into the 2022 world cup

Been keeping up to date with this in the background as I had forgot my login details. Brilliant read so far and well done on your achievements with Aberdeen.

Back