Aberdeen Back where it all began

• Thread starter Thread starter Mr_Grieves
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 595
  • Views Views 176K
Decent start domestically not so great in europe bud.
Do you use OI like me (close down strikers, weak foot wide/wing backs) or juat leave to the assistant ?

Iam playing a deep defensive line, short passing and into space , sometimes closing down, higher tempo and with low crossing, My players are praising the playing style considering its Scotland lol.

Last edited:
Still playing but haven't found the time or motivation to do another story

The writing part of the story takes so long. Every year i start with great ambitions but quickly revert back to shorter match reports and less updates just because it takes so long

Do you use OI like me (close down strikers, weak foot wide/wing backs) or juat leave to the assistant ?

I get the assistant to d oit automatically but check through certain positions myself, Then play the first 15 mins and see where there passes are coming rom then try and get those influential players out the game

Scotland
October Fixtures

Squad
View attachment 108377
Snoodgrass is back to complete the 23 man squad

Friendly
Spain 6-0 Scotland
View attachment 108376
Last time McGhee takes charge of a game for me

European League Match 3
Russia 1-3 Scotland
View attachment 108375
3rd win in a row in the group and amazingly were promoted to the A League. Feels more like Pro Evo by the minute.

Top spot secured

October

Fixtures

Hibs 1-2 Aberdeen
View attachment 107968
Hibs come back kid Jason Cummings almost rescued Hibs a point but our star striker Klein was as usual the difference

Aberdeen 1-1 Celtic
View attachment 107967
Celtic showed there title credentials by taking the lead at Pittodrie from midfielder Kainz. to keep the unbeaten run going we needed a unfamiliar player, Ben Gibson to equalize and keep us top of the table.

Champions League Match 3
Aberdeen 1-1 Man Utd
View attachment 107966
We simply had to get a result from this match and for a few moments it looked like Borja Garcia was giving us even more as we took the lead. Minutes later Mkhitaryan pulled United level and that how it ended a point that helps us more than them

Betfred Cup S/F
Aberdeen 3-0 Dundee
View attachment 107965
We've made it to another final a 5th on the trot.

Aberdeen 4-0 Dundee
View attachment 107964
Only 3 days have passed and this time around Klein had his usual devastating effect with 3 goals in 27 minutes. Newbie Isaac Pereira added a 4th

Falkirk 0-5 Aberdeen
View attachment 107963
Rested a few players hopefully thats enough to get the back up players off my back.

SPFL Table
View attachment 107962
The gap at the top in 5 points so nice and competitive. Rangers and Hibs are showing signs of life behind them and Falkirk and Hearts looking good for top 6.

Champions League
View attachment 107961
We finally have a point on the board. Napoli and Lech draw as well which is good for our Champions League ambitions but not for Europa League.

Nice one.

There doesn#t seem to be a one size fits all anymore now is there?

I usually try and base it around a 4-2-3-1, never used to have a AMC till i seen the success Klippy was having with so i'll almost always have that tactic as a start but then as you say it has to be played with to counter what the opposition will do. Not done as much reading on the site this year but i've not seen the word plug and play mentioned.

November

Champions League disaster means that even a unbeaten season and both cups would be a disappointing season. We may even need a clear out in January to get the ball rolling for next season.

Tommy Wright is the first victim of the season
View attachment 107714

Fixtures

Champions League Match 4
Man Utd 3-0 Aberdeen
View attachment 107718
Not a surprise to go to Old Trafford and loose but in the fashion we lost was sad. This wasnt in the points target quota. Its all down to the next match at home to Napoli

Inverness 1-3 Aberdeen
View attachment 107717
Klein hattricks are becoming more common than him scoring 1

Hearts 0-1 Aberdeen
View attachment 107716
With two massive fixtures ahead i had to rest players at Tynecastle.

Champions League Match 5
Aberdeen 1-3 Napoli
View attachment 107715
We put in our strongest side and cant blame loosing Garcia to injury as we were beaten before that happened. All this means were totally out of Europe before we even reach December. For shame!

SPFL Table
View attachment 107713
Results go our way to move 10 points clear of the old firm, Falkirk & Hibs. The other end is also quite interesting but the real story is Klein's 26 goals, Feels like the 1997/98 Negri season

Champions League
View attachment 107712
I'm pretty sure in my last Aberdeen save we took a step back in Europe after our first good season but nothing as drastic as this. One point from 5 games is a unmitigated disaster. Maybe Lech are better than we gave them credit for but we were surly far worse.

Betfed Cup Final 2020

View attachment 1100856

Aberdeen vs Celtic

View attachment 107665 View attachment 107664

Formations
View attachment 107663
Paul Hartley sticks to his formation that served him so well for Dundee over the years. Better players and a better formation should make this the toughest Betfred final we've had

Match
Aberdeen 2-1 Celtic
View attachment 107660
My man for Scotland Leigh Griffiths did me no favors with a goal right from kick off to give Celtic the lead. For once it wasnt Matty Klein but our two new wingers first Serge Gnabry scored before getting his latest 2 month injury, then Isaac Pereira late in the second half grabbed what proved to be the winning goal

Last edited:

December

League run of unbeaten games goes past 60 matches. Klein has already broken Rooneys goals in a season record and the man of the match awards in a season. He has also won player of the month EVERY month

Fixtures

Aberdeen 5-0 Raith
View attachment 107607
5 different scorers for a change to the usual Klein show

Aberdeen 3-0 Partick
View attachment 107606
Wingers day at Pittodrie

Champions League Match 6
Lech 0-2 Aberdeen
View attachment 107605
Of course the u19s beat them when the first team couldnt

Ross County 0-4 Aberdeen
View attachment 107604
Henriken was forced into a more attacking role and he thrived in it, perhaps saving his place in the squad

Aberdeen 5-1 Morton
View attachment 107603
There squad looks quite good. Im sure they will be pretty good once they get a stable squad

Celtic 0-2 Aberdeen
View attachment 107602
Celtic had everything in there hands. match at Parkhead, run of close game with Aberdeen and we were down to 10 men after Roca got sent off for a two footed tackle. Within 10 minutes however Granger and Klein my two best regens had scored and handed us another big win.

Aberdeen 1-1 Hibs
View attachment 107601
Our closest rivals gave us a scare almost taking advantage of Klein's worst performance of the season. but after a tense second half we held on for a point,

Aberdeen 2-1 Falkirk
View attachment 107600
Two early goals looked to have us on the way to another big win but Falkirk did not forget there status of our bogie team

Dundee 0-4 Aberdeen
View attachment 107598
The Dens park side are really missing Hartley who's proving his worth at Celtic as much as it shows with Dundee

SPFL Table
View attachment 107596
The gap of 16 points is looking like its too much for the rest now after us the top 6 looks like a great fight while the bottom looks more competitive than ever. Klein's stats are off the charts

Champions League
View attachment 107595
Disgust is the only word i can give for finishing behind Lech.

In the Europa League Hearts did great to finish ahead of Udinese but only 3rd, Rangers were never expected to get through there group but finishing behind Krasnodar was a nasty shock, Celtic managed 3rd place but should be better than Rapid Wien!

January

Klein is already taking records and its only January
View attachment 107537
View attachment 107536

Fixtures

Aberdeen 4-0 Rangers
View attachment 107535
Nothing beats rushing into a 3 goal lead in the first half hour to Rangers

Aberdeen 4-0 Inverness
View attachment 107534
Even better result with 4 goal in the first 38 minutes, Still not better than beating Rangers

Scottish Cup 4th Round
Aberdeen 3-1 Forfar
View attachment 107533
Only 2 starting players in the squad and the main one Herniksen got two goals that made the difference

Aberdeen 4-0 Hearts
View attachment 107532
This was the reverse with 3 goals in the last 15 minutes rather than all fire at the start

Rangers 1-1 Aberdeen
View attachment 107531
****** Rangers! We were 2 minutes away from our 23rd win of the season but after all the abuse i was giving Rangers i guess this is a bit of karma. On the flip side our League unbeaten run is up to 65 games.

SPFL Table
View attachment 107530
Lead at the top is 16 points from Celtic. Rangers are chased by Falkirk & Hibs while Hearts are doing there best to throw away a top 6 spot. Fantastic 4 way fight at the bottom. Annoying also on the scoring chart to see a former U20 player Scott Wright with 10 goals after being given away by me.

Transfer Window

Aberdeen
View attachment 107528
View attachment 107527
We sign Brazilian wing back Mario Landi on a free , Always pays to go through the Brazilian and Argentine released players to find some gem's. Sadly i miss out on many of these players due to work permit and now have this problem with European's However we overcame this to pick up Zoran Rakic from Partizan

Out
A Club legend Adam Rooney was moved on after failing to make a appearance this season and hardly any last year. Still he played a huge roll in the early days and we wont forget. The other was set to play a huge roll. Vojtech Franc was slowly starting to get more appearances but became the first player to demand Champions League success which is obviously not happening any time soon so rather than keeping a back up player on a false promise Livepool's £12m will make up for the European money were missing out on.

Rooney's Record
View attachment 107526
207 games 124 Goals

World Transfers
View attachment 107525
View attachment 107523

Quiet window to begin but PSG as usual had to make a difference

SPL transfers
View attachment 107521
Abysmal window for Hearts. They loose there main youth prospect Graham McCann and there stand out player in the save Jamie Walker. They did replace them with Inverness's best 2 players Lewis Vaughan and Liam Polworth as well as John Souttar and Rangers back up Ali Crawford. The other Major transfer out of the SPL was Jai Quitongo after spending almost 2 years on the transfer list he finally got his big move. Celtic beef up there squad while selling off a few back up players.

February

After a month out of his home Klien wrestle's back player of the month

Fixtures

Raith 2-2 Aberdeen
View attachment 107432
Dominated the game but was a dodgy dodgy performance. Back to back games where the squad seemed tired. Jack was awful!

Partick 0-4 Aberdeen
View attachment 107431
Two goals in each half for hopefully a back to form victory

Scottish Cup 5th Round
Aberdeen 3-0 Celtic
View attachment 107430
Celtic's new signings made little difference to the gap between us at this stage

Morton 0-6 Aberdeen
View attachment 107429
Kids this is why you dont gamble. Some ill informed person, like me will tell you they have money and made some good signings and they could do well right away. Then this happens

Aberdeen 5-1 Ross County
View attachment 107428
Klein got back to back hatricks to prove he like us is back to form

SPFL Table
View attachment 107427
Will we get record points? that and staying unbeaten is our target. Celtic are pulling clear to secure 2nd and the battle for 3rd is at deadlock. Hearts are all but safe for top 6, Battle at the bottom still locked between 4 teams

A few of them changed manager recently. Jim Duffy's back at Dundee too
View attachment 107426

Youth intake
View attachment 107425View attachment 107424
My name sake Alex Donald is a generational player apparently

Back