Onwards and upwards mate. As said above, solid foundations built and a good platform to really push Celtic, as long as you keep hold of the main bulk of your squad you should only need a couple of quality additions to put on a real challenge next season.

What's your priority? Breaking Celtic's dominance or a good European run?

More likely to be Dundee Utd and Hibs. The Dundee researcher is in charge of all the Scottish ones and he always makes Dundee Utd OP.

More likely to be Dundee Utd and Hibs. The Dundee researcher is in charge of all the Scottish ones and he always makes Dundee Utd OP.

No Falkirk wasn't a guess lol look at his pictures they beat Motherwell in the playoff!

Onwards and upwards mate. As said above, solid foundations built and a good platform to really push Celtic, as long as you keep hold of the main bulk of your squad you should only need a couple of quality additions to put on a real challenge next season.

What's your priority? Breaking Celtic's dominance or a good European run?

Beating Celtic is far more realistic. But just now all my July/August focus goes on getting the the group phase of the Europa league then for the most part i'll try and get the best results in the SPL with the Europa League a bonus, especially with last seasons group

I never knew this. Makes a lot of sense as i wondered how a teenage John Soutar turned out amazing in past saves despite not showing anything special when i seen him. They also seemed to be overflowing with the best of Scotland regens in previous saves.

Pre Season review 2017/18

Summers spending has not gone to plan. Overspent for a u21 defender, Made a huge upgrade at center back, our weakest spot then added two free players to replace players leaving. No sign of a revolution yet as 70% of the players i targeted would not even talk to me, 20% rejected the Dons for bigger teams the final 10% all of 3 players only Killie's Adam Frizzel is ready for the first team in a limited roll at best. We'll see how far we get through August we can go before i widen my player search.

My biggest debate with the board is they wont let me add to our 3 coaches. Even the plea of how much we need this to keep up with our opponents. I did have to make one coaching change in the summer. Paul Sheerin got offered and accepted the job as Alloa manager leaving my u20's without a manager. You'll notice i like to use faces familiar with the team for my backroom staff whenever possible so here's my first fledgling
Zander Diamond U20's Manager
View attachment 115774

Did not realise how much work the training and youth facilities needed till i seen this on FMinside.net

Pre Season prices
View attachment 115773
Slight changes from last year. Celtic are out to 3 we're now 2nd favorites into 5,50. The bookies think Hibs are coming right back into the SPL and into the top 6. If Falkirkyabass is feeling fruity he can get his team at 1000/1 tied with Hamilton & Inverness CT for bottom spot.

Season Targets
SPL - Top 2, over 75 points, less than 9 wins
Scottish Cup - Win
League Cup - Back up players till later stages
Europa League - Group phase

No change from last year really. Improvement in the league is explained and expected. Once again for the money if nothing else we have got to reach the Group phase of the Europa League

Fixtures
Old firm games are usually the ones we look out for and are nicely spaced out. Sadly it looks like our first two trips to Glasgow will potentially be right after Europa league games.

Pre season friendly's
View attachment 115773
The aim of this summer was to bring in the money. Europa league qualifiers were warm up enough. Draws with Lens & Leverkusen were good results. Defeat to Norwich & only shutting out Coleraine is a worry.

Europa Results
View attachment 115772
The IFK Mariehamn result looked like a slow start as we got warmed up and were still missing a few players. Worrying moments where we had to score a late goal to win at Pittodire are long forgotten thanks to convincing results against Slovenian team NK Olimpia and a very impressive thrashing of Portuguese side Vit Guimaraes puts us into the play off against FK Qarabag who reached the group phase of the Europa League last year and were even worst than us getting only 1 point at Tyncastle of all places.

Aberdeen Transfers
View attachment 115771
I look on is disbelief at the time i've spent to make 6 transfers!

In

Eric Mathoho DC
View attachment 115770
Here is our marque signing that is set to cause a riot. South African international and winner of this seasons African Champions League with Kaizer Chiefs. Our center backs were a disaster last year and a dream combination of speed, strength and any key defensive stats. If he doesnt tidy up our defense them i need some serious tactical adjustments.

Emir Dilaver DR
View attachment 115769
The loss of fans player of the year Shay Logan may have led to me being decapitated. The real life me would be disgusted but in football manager you can not say no to £1m for a 29 year old in the last year of his contract. So as you can probably tell from how this starts here we have a replacement player. Nothing more nothing less. best DR on a free i could find. We'll see how he starts the season as there is still 4 weeks to buy a better right back if required.

Jordan Archer GK
View attachment 115768
Earned his first Scotland cap at the end of last year and i seen enough there to figure he was a upgrade on Joe Lewis as our No1. The sole worrying thing from here was he only kept 7 clean sheets in League 1 so like Dilaver at right back his first few games will be huge for his future at Pittodrie

Adam Frizzell AM
View attachment 115767
The stand out U20 Scottish player in the game already has 32 SPL appearances under his belt for Kilmarnock as they got relegated last season. His first team chances will be far less at Pittodrie but in a backwards way i think it could help his development spending some time with the u20s

Alen Brtan DC
View attachment 115766
A real case of blood rushing to the head on this one as total fee's will see this be the clubs biggest transfer ever (£1.1m) although in the long term in could turn out to be a bargain. Croatia is probably my favorite hunting ground and his early progression and 2 summer U21 caps. He and Callum Dickson both have 4* potential and can use the u20's to develop a partnership.

Ian O'Brien MR
View attachment 115765
The best willing and able youngster from the SPL teams. Hamilton have a strong history of pulling magic out of there youth system. Will need a lot of training to become a first team player but worth it for £170k

Out
As of now we have made a £1.4m profit on transfer fee's so let see how this happened. First man out was Diego Seoane £650k. A back up wing back and with Scott McKenna returning to claim a back up spot in the team any cash for 29 year old back up is welcome. I've already discussed Shay Logan so little more to say than Derby gae up £1.5m and i can not wish Shay anything but luck in the English Premiership. The next transfer took me by surprise. Christian Antoniazzi left our u20's team to join AC Milan. Ok he looks like he could do a job for Aberdeen but with every major Italian side bidding we ended up falling out so i decided to offer him to clubs before he put in a transfer request and became worthless. 10% of his next fee will belong to me. With the influx of defenders there was no space in the squad for Ash Taylor who joins Hearts for £375k. It came down to him or Consie which is not really a question at all is it! Final player leaving is striker Jayden Stockley. We moved away from 2 strikers as the season went on last year so i took £110k from Birmingham as he fell down to 4th on the depth chart. Youth striker Lawrence Shankland was released to Dundee United, Joe Lewis may have been the Scottish GK of the year but has yet to find a club for this season while Neil Alexader retired

Squad
View attachment 115763
Two 4* players and only two players in our best eleven that are 3* or less. Slow but sure progress.

Youth team make giant steps, Giant expensive steps.
View attachment 115762

Starting 11
View attachment 115761
4 Changes from last season and to the shock of nobody its all defensive signings to try and plug the gaps that cost us two trophy's at the end of last season.

Good luck for the new season mate. Be good to see the ugly sisters dethroned so I'm rooting for you. If there's one thing I've learned over the years tho mate it's never, ever bet on Falkirk.

Good luck for the new season mate. Be good to see the ugly sisters dethroned so I'm rooting for you. If there's one thing I've learned over the years tho mate it's never, ever bet on Falkirk.

No safe bet with the bairns since Lee Miller was top goalscorer and that was not yesterday

August

One man's revolt leads to a Aberdeen revolution
View attachment 115521

Fixtures

Aberdeen 1-0 Partick Thistle
View attachment 115519
3 new starts and only 4 players that started last year open week 1 this season. Without Rooney up top our finishing was not up to scratch. Thankfully Jonny Hayes got our season off to a winning start.

Betfred Cup 2nd Round
Dunfermline 2-4 Aberdeen
View attachment 115518
I felt that after our poor finishing against Partick i left the first team out to try and get there moral up for the coming games.

Hibs 1-2 Aberdeen
View attachment 115517
Again we didnt look like our normal selves putting chance after chance wide. Niall McGinn tok both of his chances and that was the difference today. Hibs look strong enough to stay up having kept Cummings and John McGinn over the summer.

Europa League play off 1st Leg
Aberdeen 1-1 Qarabag
View attachment 115516
I just knew that eventually we were going to pay for missing so many chances and in our biggest game of the year financially it happened. We no have to go to Azerbaijan and win thank to letting in a goal in the final 2 minutes of the game

Aberdeen 5-1 Rangers
View attachment 115515
Just like last season our first game at home to Rangers turned into a blood bath, For them at least. Forced into starting u20 striker Klein due to a knock to Storey and Rooney not quite fit in time payed of in the 10th minute as we took the lead, Niall McGinn soon made it 2 and Diego Poyet had us 3 goals ahead right on half time. Vico & a second McGinn goal had us 5-0 up before Waghrn grabbed a consolation for the former league leaders.

Europa League play off 2nd leg
Qarabag 0-2 Aberdeen
View attachment 115514
Just when we needed to follow up the Rangers game with a solid professional performance the team didnt let us down after a edgy first leg where we shot ourselves in the foot this time round was a far better performance and we were more than worth our spot int he group phase

Dundee 1-2 Aberdeen
View attachment 115513
Last season unraveled over a few trips to Dens park but we just managed to leave them in the past here with a 89th minute winner and last club goal from Jonny Hayes secured the 3 points. Dundee showed enough here to suggest they will cause us problems once again as the season goes on.

Table
View attachment 115512
4 from 4 and a perfect start . Hard to see this go on with all the changes your about to read bellow. Rangers won there other 3 games. Lamberts made a stonking start. Celtic are another team mid rebuilding but still made the Champions League group phase but lost at home to Hearts and stumbled to a draw at Hamilton.

Europa League Draw
View attachment 115511
Last season we got a glamour group where we had no chance to qualify and little chance of winning a game. As the top 3 teams were drawn from each group we got a similar situations 2 or 3 groups we would like to avoid and one "group of death" And yet again we got the latter.

Transfer deadline day

World Transfers
View attachment 115504
Most big moves go through Man City. Youri Tielemans chooses Real Madrid for his big move.

SPL Transfers
View attachment 115503
Celtic lost key defender Sviatchenko but used the money to bring in Yassin Ayoub & Raphael Holzhauser as holding midfielders.

This must go down as the craziest day in the clubs history. The plot begins a few days earlier just as i was preparing to fly out on Scotland duty West Brom put in a offer for Graeme Shinnie which i rejected having already lost Shay Logan. Shinnie was not impressed and demanded a move claiming he would rather rot on the bench and see out his contract than play for me again forcing me to put him up for sale.

View attachment 115520

View attachment 115510
This opened the flood gates and the players voted with there feet. Jonny Hayes & Vadim Demidov rejected a new contract the following day meaning they would have to move on now or let go on a free next summer. Demidov did the job he was brought in for and to get £325k back for him is good. Graeme the Snake Shinnie is off to the Championship with QPR in a deal for £1.4m. First of my heartbreaking moves was Andy Considine. Last summer he broke into the top 10 all time club appearances and would have reached 7th maybe even 6th but with all the youngsters joining the club looking for first team action its in the teams interest to move him on after 381 games. Jonny Hayes was the other player i wanted to keep. He may have just hit 30 but i had no plans to move him on and even offered him a new deal that he rejected forcing a move. £2.2m from Crystal Palace is nice but with poor squad depth i'll have to reinvest the money on first team players

In

Callum Paterson DR
View attachment 115509
One of the weakest position in my squad, One of rivals Hearts best players, Proven on the international level for me. This should be my first long term player in my defense and for £2m im pretty happy with that deal long term.

Petar Zanev DL
View attachment 115508
On the other end of the scale is Petar Zanex. I've never herd of him in real life or seen him in the game but his stats and price are incredible for a old man. If my u20s develop then his 2 years at the club will be perfect while they develop into first team players.

Bogdan Mitrea DC
View attachment 115507
After loosing all 3 back up DC's Bogdan was the best player interested in joining us on a free contract. Will probably only be back up but will get his share of chances with our Europa League games.

Sandro MC
View attachment 115506
Remember this guy!!! His career totally went to die at QPR and now at 28 this is possibly his last chance hence why despite 17 Brazilian caps he's reduced to playing at Aberdeen haha. Also he's injured for another month so no wonders right away.

Hernani MR
View attachment 115505
Left with the impossible challenge of replacing Jonny Hayes. He became a Portugese journeyman having played for 4 different teams and moved teams 6 times having only just turned 26 can he lay some roots down at Pittodrie

Gutted for you that half of your first teamers last year wanted out, looking forward to seeing how the newbies do especially Sandro. Bogdan stats look decent for a freebie but determination of 2 could be worrying altho guess he's just a backup after all

Gutted for you that half of your first teamers last year wanted out, looking forward to seeing how the newbies do especially Sandro. Bogdan stats look decent for a freebie but determination of 2 could be worrying altho guess he's just a backup after all

It was down to him or a 34 year old Kari Anerson. Thats how desperate i got into the evening of deadline day

Scotland
September Fixtures

Squad
View attachment 115470
Craig Gordon is back in the squad but with no football in over 6 months he probably wont push David Marshall out of the no1 spot. Ollie Burke's chances of forcing himself into the right wing will have to wait as he is out of both games injured. Lots of players 1 game away from a ban so we'll have to be careful and use subs in the right places to protect our players. Callum Paterson's signing means we have 3 Dons in the squad.

World Cup Qualifier
Lithuania 1-2 Scotland
View attachment 115469
Doesnt this just reek of the kind of game Scotland love to loose? Maybe were saving it till Malta but we were in a strong spot once Leigh Griffiths opened the scoring only for Sporting Lisbon striker Spalvis equalized just before the break. It was however only 2 minutes of stress as Grant Hanley immediately put us back in front before the half time oranges. Second half was quiet. Didnt plan to shut down the game but glad we scared ourselves into it and got the required result

World Cup Qualifier
Scotland 5-2 Slovakia
View attachment 115468
Its hard to think of the last time a Sell out was treated to such a grate game & result. Before kick off we were delt a blow with star player Darren Fletcher banned and we almost made an abysmal start but thankfully Slovakia's goal from the kick off was disallowed. In turn we got the first actual goal from Matt Ritchie in the 15th minute and as soon i began thinking of tactial changes to shut the door a bit Ross McCormack made it 2-0. Leigh Griffiths had the stadium bouncing with a 3rd right after the break and i considered that game over and shut up shop. Adam Nemec had other ideas and 7 minutes later it was back to 3-2 and all we could think was he we go again! but NO! this is a different Scotland, different team spirit and our fresh substitute right back Ikechi Anya burst forward and it was 4-2. Leigh Griffiths ended the game with his second and our fifth at the end.

Table
View attachment 115467
Match day 8 was great for us. Slovakia were officially out of the race for 2nd, Lithuania need 2 wins and a 16 goal swing as well as ourselves and Slovenia loosing both games, And were now the group is guaranteed to have a team in the play offs. In other words its down to Scotland and Slovenia and the latter just lost in Lithuania. Our final two games go like this

Wk 9
Malta vs Scotland
Slovenia vs England

Wk 10
Scotland vs England
Slovenia vs Slovakia

Slovenia's trip to Wembly could see the top 2 decided going into the last game if England do us a favor.

Last edited:

September

First league defeat is quickly forgotten with clubs best result in over 20 years

Fixtures

Aberdeen 2-0 Ross County
View attachment 115379
Excitement was in the air for the big debut fest at Pittodrie. Over 20,000 fans came out for the Ross County game and would be going home happy after Myles Storey, filling in for injured Niall McGinn got his first of the season. Chance after chance was missed before Hernani got his name on the score sheet on his debut. Not a bad way to announce yourself to your new fans.

Pre match trash from the Spanish manager
View attachment 115368

Europa League Match 1
St Etienne 4-1 Aberdeen
View attachment 115378
This was a very upsetting result. I was not expecting a win but after being ridiculed by there boss Michel and taking the lead thanks to young brother Pogba scoring a O'G it looked like we were on our way towards shutting him up. Sadly the French side ran over us in the 2nd half waltzing to the first 3 points of the group.

Michel changes his mind
View attachment 115369

St Johnstone 1-1 Aberdeen
View attachment 115377
This smells like our dodgy patch for the season. St Johnstone had two shots on goal, both in the first 15 minutes. It took over 60 minutes for us to pull level and then never looked like getting a 2nd

Befred Cup Q/F
Dundee 0-3 Aberdeen
View attachment 115376
This is more like it. Thought with the form and big games coming up i had to rotate players in the next two games for Roma & Hearts at the end of the month. It was a regular player, at the moment Storey who gave us the lead and Norweigan midfielder Lundermo still fighting for a place in the midfield with Sandro's arrival imminent. Poyet put the icing on the cake with 10 minutes to go and put us in the Semi Finals

We could have got Raith in the Semi Finals but oh no we didnt!
View attachment 115375

Hamilton 3-1 Aberdeen
View attachment 115374
Youth came through against Dundee but this was a step to far it appears. But lets look at the positives. I got to give them a good dressing down which will inspire them to avoid the same leaky performance against Roma

Europa League Match 2
Aberdeen 3-1 Roma
View attachment 115373
So here is our best result in the save so far. Wouldnt go as far as say we dominated but we did outperform the Italian in every area of the pitch, Won the second balls, made them uncomfortable at every area. We broke down the Italian after only 15 minutes through Adam Rooney. Only a few minutes later and still suffering the shock of going behind we put them 2 behind with Hernani returning from injury for his 2nd goal in his 2nd start for Aberdeen. El Shaarawy looked to have get Roma back in the game with 2 minutes before the break but anyone who's been at Pittodrie will tell you how loud the home crowd get at moment like this. When the team needs a boost the 12th man is right behind them and it worked here as Kenny McLean made it 3-1 going into Half time. Far less exciting 2nd half. Catenaccio vs Catenaccio produced as expected a red card for Poyet but was never made to thrill not that we wanted or needed such thing and were delighted to get this massive result for the club. Extra £300k in the coffers for the win not to mention hope in the group and a new level of expectation back in the Scottish game

Aberdeen 5-0 Hearts
View attachment 115372
Can the high of a Roma win last 8 months? It sure pushed us to this win against Hearts. Myles Storey must have seen Niall McGinn return to training and chose this week as his coming out party, Rare any of my guys score a hattrick never win a Inside forward. One of the goals came from youngster Adam Frizzell who added his first Aberdeen goal to his first Aberdeen assist and Rooney made it 5 as we head off to international duty

SPFL Table
View attachment 115371
We may have dropped points twice but still sit 3 points and 7 goals clear at the top of the SPL. This really puts our droped points in perspective. I should not have overlooked Hamilton up in 3rd place and should be very upset that we lost points to bottom placed St Johnstone. First match after the break however is a trip to Parkhead to see where we really stand.

Europa League
View attachment 115370
Everyone's tied on 3 points so not sure where we really stand just now. We'll just have to take it one game at a time. Having said that we should have a much clearer picture after our double header with CSKA.

Great result over Roma! has paul lambert taken over Rangers yet ? seems to always happen in my saves lol.