Aberdeen Back where it all began

• Thread starter Thread starter Mr_Grieves
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 595
  • Views Views 176K

September

Good start in Europe, Awful result against Celtic, Still unbeaten in the Betfred cup

Fixtures

Aberdeen 2-0 Dundee
View attachment 113102
The first game of your youth takeover and its a very positive start. Two second half goals from Nick De Preville was enough to see off Dundee who brought over 2,000 fans up the road with them in a very impressive performance.

Aberdeen 2-0 Hearts
View attachment 113101
De Preville kept up his scoring run with the first goal in what was our 5th game in a row that was on the TV. Adam Frizell made sure of the points before the break as our minds moved to European adventures.

Europa League Match 1
Aberdeen 4-0 Braga
View attachment 113100
A sad night for the Portugese team trying to get back to there glory days of the 2000's. This would not be the day as a Ryan Jack double in 3 minutes before De Preville kept up his habit of scoring and scoring often. It went quiet from then on as Braga probably began thinking about getting home an we moved onto the Celtic game but not before defender Christopher Jullien got his first Aberdeen goal.

Celtic 4-1 Aberdeen
View attachment 113099
What happened here? I hope this is not going to be a vicious cycle of Aberdeen and Celtic trashing each other in alternate years. The match was pretty close as a contest till we had to go attacking in the final half hour where Ayoub & Scott Brown made this look even worse than it was.

Betfred Cup Q/F
Aberdeen 2-0 Hamilton
View attachment 113098
We did not have long to dwell on the Celtic pumping and nor did we waste any time doing so. Lundemo and Klein had the match in control as early as the 17th minute but the joy was not to last as Klien broke his arm and is set to miss the next two months

Inverness CT 1-4 Aberdeen
View attachment 113097
We end the month on a high by thrash our bogie team. Both strikers Rooney & Ronningen scored in the absence of Klein with star midfielders McLean & De Preville also getting in on the show

SPFL Table
View attachment 113096
Unbeaten Celtic mean business and are now 4 points clear at the top. Dundee the only other regular top 6 team up there just now with Hearts tied bottom and champions Rangers in 9th already 11 points off top spot.

Europa League
View attachment 113095
Ourselves and Bilbao get going with big wins to top the table.

Scotland
September & October Fixtures

I forgot to update this last month so your getting two for one

Squad
Ross McCormack is gone. Another long term injury will be the end of him. Ryan Fraser will challenge Robert Snodgrass for the starting spot on the left, Liam Cooper takes over from Berra at CB and having never called up Naismith in my first two years he looks set to start in McCormacks place

European League Div C Match 1
N Ireland 1-5 Scotland
View attachment 113062
Not often you see such a demolition in a home international. Leigh Griffiths picked up where he left off with the first goal as Snodgrass set bout keeping his place in the side while Steven Naismith trying to keep his place in the squad scored his first goal in over 2 years for Scotland. 4 goals clear at halftime. Lafferty pulled one back but was far too little far too late and Naismith grabbed a 2nd in the second half

European League Div C Match 2
Scotland 3-0 Lithuania
View attachment 113061
Griffiths & Naismith scored within three minutes to set us on our way. A second half own goal locked down another win

European League Div C Match 3
Slovakia 0-5 Scotland
View attachment 113060
This would be to decide the group. Or so you would think. Even with Griffiths injured his back up Johnny Russell scored a hat-trick in first 35 minutes. Snoodgrass & Naismith added one each and the final 40 minutes was a exercise in saving energy.

European League Div C Match 4
Scotland 4-1 N Ireland
View attachment 113059
This was by some distance our toughest game so far and that was all sorted by half time. Craig Cathcart gave the Irish a shock lead in the 9th minute. We were not taking this lying down and Jordan Rhodes equalized and just after half hour Callum Paterson now of Newcastle scored his first Scotland goal. Naismith scored either side of half time to make the score look a bit more normal

Table
View attachment 113058
Despite thrashing everyone in site with 2 games to go we need to beat Slovakia at Hampden in November to secure top spot.

moooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

moooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Christ Your appearance here is almost as shocking as your disappearing act today. I even checked deep in the cheese section but nope!

October

Great start to the Europa League, Stable results in the SPL, Except disappointing trip to Ibrox and another appearance in the Betfred cup final will await in the November update

Fixtures

Europa League Match 2
Sampdoria 0-3 Aberdeen
View attachment 112845
All hail the benched Adam Rooney as he hit the back of the net 3 times in the second half. With Klien injured Rooney did start here and did enough to hinder Klein's immediate return to the team once fit.

Aberdeen 2-1 Falkirk
View attachment 112843
Falkirk gave us all we could handle and almost some more after John Baird gave them a shock lead. Kenny McLean pulled us level quite quickly but the bairns did not fold and it was another hour of attacking and breaking them down before Adrien Thomasson scored the winner with 10 minutes to go.

Rangers 2-1 Aberdeen
View attachment 112842
What a mess of a performance we put on. Lewis Grabban put the champions in the lead and we never looked threatening until Ryan Jack got physically threatening and got a red card 3 match ban for his troubles. Give us our due's as Adam Rooney pulled us level not long after but from then on Rangers looked the more dangerous and Grabban got a second with 15 minutes to go and ensure a second miserable trip to play the Old Firm in a row.

Europa League Match 3
Aberdeen 2-1 Atletico Bilbao
View attachment 112841
Is this Rooney making a run on the golden boot? Very little happend in the first half. No goals and few chances till Rooney gave us the lead but less than 10 minutes later Bilbao were level through Aketxe. But with the top of the table on the line we kept fighting and it was Adam Rooney who's 2nd of the night and 5th in the last 2 Europa games set us up for a famous win to go with our stunning 3/3 start

Betfred Cup Semi final
Aberdeen 1-0 QOTS
View attachment 112840
Our starting players were knackered. It was suggested i gave 4 players time off to recover so i gave almost the whole team the day off which may have had a lot to do with only 6,371 fans showing up to Hampden for this Semi Final. The only goal of the game came from Marius Lundemo fresh from his first Norway cap to put us into our 3rd final in as many season

Dundee stun Celtic in the other Semi Final so its another final vs Dundee
View attachment 112839

Aberdeen 1-0 Hamilton
View attachment 112838
After a short break the best 11 were back in action but only won this match by a Jota goal early in the first half.

SPFL Table
View attachment 112837
Celtic drop some points and the gap is now down to 4 points at the top with the rest of the top 6 not far off if either of us go into a dodgy run. In fact the league has yet to really settle down apart from the top 2 and Ross County at the bottom 4 points adrift

Europa League
View attachment 112836
Were in a great position to reach the last 16. We'll be cheering on Sampdoria in weeks 4 and 5. If they can get a result from there games we could top the group.

Scotland
November Fixtures

Squad
View attachment 112714
Leigh Griffiths is still out so Johnny Russell & Jordan Rhodes lead the front line.

European League Match 5
Scotland 4-1 Slovakia
View attachment 112713
No Griffiths, No wing backs, No problems. This win secures top spot and i imagine qualification to Division B

European League Match 6
Lithuania 2-4 Scotland
View attachment 112712
Round out the group phase with yet another big win

Table
View attachment 112711
Lithuania finish bottom and go down to group D

Enjoying the story as iam also controlling the dons in a fun save of my own so far managing to come 2nd (missing out by 3 points to Celtic) and reaching the Scottish Cup Semi Final before losing to inverness CT 2-1, doing very well with Aberdeen so far in your quest attempting to topple the old firm while improving the national team's fortunes keep up the good work bud.
Any idea what the team instructions are this season out of curiosity?

Enjoying the story as iam also controlling the dons in a fun save of my own so far managing to come 2nd (missing out by 3 points to Celtic) and reaching the Scottish Cup Semi Final before losing to inverness CT 2-1, doing very well with Aberdeen so far in your quest attempting to topple the old firm while improving the national team's fortunes keep up the good work bud.
Any idea what the team instructions are this season out of curiosity?

I change them on a game to game basis. Say for example Celtic have Janko at right back then i'll attack the left wing
View attachment 112569

I change them on a game to game basis. Say for example Celtic have Janko at right back then i'll attack the left wing
View attachment 1095406

Same here I find when away at e.g Motherwell going on the counter helped but at other times it just puts even more pressure on what is probably an average Aberdeen defence given its attack mindedness with it usually containing Shinne, Taylor, Considine & Logan lol

Last edited:

November

Fixtures

Aberdeen 2-0 Hibs
View attachment 112565
Like many games before De Preville was on the double

Europa League Match 4
Ath Bilbao 1-1 Aberdeen
View attachment 112564
Our biggest away trip of the season and we knew going into this that a result would have put us in a great place to go through but a win would send us to the last 32

Aberdeen 3-0 Ross County
View attachment 112563
Bottom of the table Ross County shouldnt have been a big obstacle, History would say otherwise with our record against the highland teams. A strong team was on show and our 3 lead forwards Jota, De Preville and Klein grabbing a goal each.

Raith 0-4 Aberdeen
View attachment 112562
We went into the international break with a easy win and we came out of it with the same. Raith were thrashed.

Europa League Match 5
Braga 2-2 Aberdeen
View attachment 112561
A huge game in Portugal with qualification on the line. We started nervous and gave up the first goal right before half time. Behind at half time i used a rare shouting technique to try and get the team going. At this time we needed our stars to come forth and make a impact and Jota pulled us level. With 10 minutes to go youngster off the bench Adam Frizzell looked to have scored his most important goal for Aberdeen so far until we went all out defense and gave away a penalty which Pedro Santos knocked home to just keep Braga in the Europa League just!

SPFL Table
View attachment 112560
Celtic drew with Hamilton so as we close the first quarter of season with a title fight. Rangers have a 10 point gap to close for top spot. Plenty teams right on there tail. At the other end Ross County are 4 points behind Hamilton.

Europa League
View attachment 112559
With a game to go we've qualified for the last 32. Bilbao can still catch us for top spot if we loose and they beat Braga and we fail to beat Sampdoria.

Last edited:

Betfred Cup Final 2018

View attachment 1095463

Aberdeen Vs Dundee
View attachment 112525 View attachment 112524

Our 2nd meeting in 3 years for the League Cup final. Aberdeen are still unbeaten in this competition since the save began 3 seasons ago.

Formations
View attachment 112523
Dundee are becoming more and more like us in set up as time goes on. Up front Ryan Hardie on loan from Rangers is leading the scoring in Scotland

Aberdeen 4-1 Dundee
View attachment 112522
Dundee made a strong start and took the lead with James Vincent. This began our come back and it started only 3 minutes later with Matthias Klein tie the game. Amazingly despite both teams attacking proneness there was no more goals till the last 20 minutes when Klein's 2nd goal put the boots in to a tired Dundee team with old man McGinn scoring the 3rd before Ryan Jack in stoppage time with an assist from the cross bar made it four!

12 League cup Games 12 Wins and three trophy's in a row

Always enjoy your stories. Especially how easy it is to read all the in depth posts. Keep up the good work. :D

December

Fixtures

Aberdeen 5-1 Partick
View attachment 112450
Fell behind after 25 minutes and the thoughts of a cup hang over was in my mind but Partick's 2nd this time for us at least had us level by half time. The second half was our typical bipolar display as we scored 4 times for a decisive win

Dundee 2-1 Aberdeen
View attachment 112449
Well we seem to loose a game at Dens park every year so why not get it out of the way now. Defeat was the last thing on my mind When Klein opened the scoring on the half hour but Etxbeguren's equalizer right on the break changed everything and when Ryan Hardie ended his goal drought we were beat in the league for 4th time this year.

Europa League match 6
Aberdeen 3-0 Sampdoria
View attachment 112448
We went for a back up & youth team since there's no seeding in the draw and we've already qualified. The Italians are utter tripe

Hearts 0-0 Aberdeen
View attachment 112447
So lets get this right! After a weeks break a refreshed team couldnt break down bottom half Hearts.

Aberdeen 3-0 Celtic
View attachment 112446
This was already must win after getting pumped by them early in the season. We made a quick start with De Preville giving us the lead after only 3 minutes. Our second from a corner was nodded in by Eric Mathoho. The second was a que for Celtic to implode Mikael Lustig was sent off before the break and right after the half time oranges Matthias Klein scored the 3rd and that was that. Moussa Dembele got himself sent off before the end to rule himself out of a few games to help our cause no ends.

Aberdeen 4-0 Inverness CT
View attachment 112445
Clearly still high as anything we made our most incredible start of the season. A double from Klein & De Preville had Aberdeen 4 goals clear after only 17 minutes. I love December

Falkirk 1-4 Aberdeen
View attachment 112444
A trip i never enjoy. Always feel like were about to slip up against these guys and my nervious disposition is not helped when Nathan Austin opened the scoring after 6 minutes. After a quiet few week Kenny McLean equalised with Jota & Klein goals putting us in control before half time. Klein added another early in the second half for another 4 goal display.

Hamilton 1-3 Aberdeen
View attachment 112443
Like the home game to Inverness this was a blitz early success story as we built a 3 goal lead in the first 22 minutes. Scotland fringe player Michael Devlin got a consolation

Hibs 2-2 Aberdeen
View attachment 112442
We took the lead twice at Easter road but it turned out to be an away trip too far but not a disastrous time to drop points as title favorites Celtic did the same as we head to the winter break.

SPFL Table
View attachment 112441
Our December had its dodgy moments but Celtic were a mess dropping points all over the shop. This has let Rangers right back into the title fight and is already giving me flashback of last season. Dundee lead the race for 4th but to early to pick winners in that race with 10 points reaching back to 10th. After that Hamilton and lost at the bottom already is Ross County 8 points from a play off spot.

Final Europa League Table
View attachment 112440
An amazing campaign so far. Four wins and two draws. Many thanks to a Sampdoria team in pieces who lost all 6 of there games. Braga had there chances to qualify but ended up drawing 0-0 with Bilbao.

Celtic let the nation down by finish 3rd, give them there dues AC Milan were unbeaten and they went toe to toe with RB Leipzig who took 2nd. while Rangers did no better in the Champions League finishing bottom and win less in a group with Man City, Sporting Lisbon & Basel

Last 32 Draw
Valencia vs Aberdeen
View attachment 112438
Congratulations for winning your group. Now prepare to go out right away while the team in 2nd got St Etienne

Scotland Euro 2020 Group
View attachment 112437
This will be a tough group to get through. World Champions England should be beyond us while Poland and Iceland will mean nothing is certain in a group where anyone can finish 1st to 4th.

A tough month highlights losing to the BNB at dense and beating Sampdoria kUTGW though enjoying the story.
My own dons won 6-3 at Tynecastle in my last match as there seems to be an issue with the goalies on this years edition lol

January

2 draws from 4 league games. 3 starting players away on international duty and it showed

View attachment 112147

2 Manager changes have taken place. Ross County hire St Mirren manager Grant Murray while Hearts got shot of Craig Levein and brought in my predecessor Derek McInnes after 3 years out of the game.

View attachment 112142

Fixtures

Hibs 2-2 Aberdeen
View attachment 112146
Not the best way to start the year. The core of our defense Msakni and Mathoho played there last game before going off to the African Nations the defensive performance was worrying

Aberdeen 2-1 Rangers
View attachment 112145
These games are automatic 6 pointers these days. Youngster Callum Dickson opened the scoring early in the second half. There was a keeper making his debut for us. On loan Mariano Barbosa sure found a way to make an impact by scoring the own goal that brought Rangers back into the game with 15 minutes to go. My Aberdeen team then went all out attack. we couldnt afford to loose more points to the Old Firm and thankfully with time running out captain Lee Wallace returned the own goal from 10 minutes earlier and give us a huge 3 points considering how the rest of the month went.

Ross County 1-1 Aberdeen
View attachment 112139
What a disaster as our highland curse returns. We did the damage ourselves with a red card after only 7 minutes and when the second half kicked off that sinking feeling came with Liam Boyce opening the scoring. Our new steady scorer "o'g" grabbed a point, making it a total of 3 gained in the last week.

Scottish Cup 4th Round
Aberdeen 0-0 St Johnstone
View attachment 112138
With the League being my sole priority at this stage we played a back up team and they will get to do it all again in next months replay

Aberdeen 3-0 Raith
View attachment 112136
Adam Rooney has spent most of the month as the lead striker, would you have ever guessed untill his double strike in the 2nd half

SPFL Table

Our month was saved by the old firm winning 3 of there combined 8 games to help keep us top. Dundee came on strong and take huge steps towards securing a top 6 spot. Ross County's point against us wont help the fact there 7 points from 11th and 14 points from 10th with only 8 games till the split.

Transfer Window

Aberdeen Transfers

Blink and you'll miss it. 3 Deals were wreaked by work permits not being accepted costing me a new right back. I sold 3 back up players, 2 from the very start and bought a Serbian u20 player who went out on loan immediately

In

Branislav Micic - MC
View attachment 112135
Deal was agreed a long time ago. Too good to sit on the bench or u19 team he'll go out and play first team action

Out
Sadly it was time to move on from the team of 2016. I was thinking of moving on Anthony O'Conner and Fulham came in with a late christmas present of a £2.3m offer. That was accepted and laughed over. Decent player for us but no way was he worth over £2m. Also leaving was Niall McGinn. Lost his starting place in the summer to De Preville and with his 31st birthday coming up it was time to move him on after 246 games and 79 goals. One more player left back up u20 right winger Ian O'Brien never broke through in his 2 seasons at Pittodrie only playing 1 game and if your not starting for the u20s then what future have you got?

Now only remaining players are Adam Rooney, Cammy Smith, Ryan Jack, Scott McKenna & Kenny McLean

Scottish Transfers
View attachment 112134
Celtic make some interesting signings with the Dembele money

World Transfers
View attachment 112133
Real Madrid bagged Romagnoli for a bargain £30m. Vrsaljko is the first major move made by a Chinese club and a Scottish transfer make the list as Celtic's Dembele joins Leverkusen

2 Manager changes have taken place. Ross County hire St Mirren manager Grant Murray while Hearts got shot of Craig Levein and brought in my predecessor Derek McInnes after 3 years out of the game.​

February

Improvement in league form but the European run was short lived

Hamilton make a change to try and save there season replacing Martin Canning with Craig Levein
View attachment 111988

While looking at other teams found the form FM gem slumming it at Hibs
View attachment 111986

Fixtures

Partick 0-4 Aberdeen
View attachment 111985
A U20 striker came of ag. Having scored 1 goal all season in the SPL up till now this is a huge game. He'll be past Rooney and challenging Klein at this rate

Scottish Cup 4th Round Replay
St Johnstone 0-2 Aberdeen
View attachment 111984

Back up team led by red hot Ronningen. We sat on a 1 goal lead for over 80 minutes before McLean made the game safe. In the warm down

Ronningen added to my striker crisis. Rooney could have suffered a season ending torn hamstring, Klein is not back from Asian Cup duty yet and now Ronningen's gone down for two weeks with a a thigh strain

Aberdeen 2-3 Dundee
View attachment 111983
Our only domestic defeat of the month and one of the most frustrating ones of the save so far. Led 1-0 at the break before Andrew Shinnie equalized. De Preville put us ahead again but two goals in the last 10 minutes ruined what should have been 3 points in the bag.

Celtic 0-0 Aberdeen
View attachment 111982
We locked Celtic down. Could have and should have won it, god knows we had the chances but since we hold the lead this result suits us more than them.

Scottish Cup 5th Rd
Hearts 2-3 Aberdeen
View attachment 111981
What a match and a come back that would have made Dundee proud. Former Don Ash Taylor led Hearts to a 2 goal lead but the former Dons boss maybe wrote off the current back up team too soon. Kenny Mclean and Ross Macauley got 2 goals in a minute to have us level for the break with McLean scoring the winner in the final 10 minutes. Might look at a stronger side for the latter stages.

Europa League last 32 1st leg
Valencia 4-1 Aberdeen
View attachment 111980
Another day another annoying defeat. A bit insulted to have let in 4 goals after being level at half time Valencia struck early in the second half to go 2-1 ahead. After that we had by far the most chances. Frizzell especially guilty of missing chances and Vela twice struck us on the break to effectively end our knock out run before it ever started

Aberdeen 2-1 Hearts
View attachment 111979
Just when it looked like the Europa campaign was going to cost us more points a thrilling stoppage time exchange saw us loose and gain 2 extra points while Rangers were beating Celtic. Klein had us in front from the 34th minute till the last when Sam Nicholson looked like he had saved a point for Hearts but like in the cup Kenny McLean was on hand to break hearts hearts.

Europa League last 32 2nd leg
Aberdeen 0-1 Valencia
View attachment 111978
Agg Valencia 5-1 Aberdeen
Conceded defeat before kick off and i played kids with other competitions to think about

SPFL Table
View attachment 111976
Rangers help the Dons and themselves by beating Celtic. We now hold a 5 point lead with 10 games to go and no Europa League distractions. Rangers win has them back in the hunt only 7 points back. Partick make a stab at at top 6 spot with Hibs trying to hold of the chasing pack. Hard to see either Ross County or Hamilton getting out of there current situations.

Europa League Results
View attachment 111975
Benfica won the battle of the Multi time Champions league winners and Zenit beat Inter in the other shock.

Still doing well bud and a nice quiet window aswell means you can go bigger in the summer haha.
At the start of the 3rd season I managed to relieve 4th place Dundee of Scott Bain for £250k after finishing 3rd (behind Champions Celtic & Hearts) and winning the betfred lol as for Europe its over in the Europa league play offs as we drew Ajax and wont be making the groups this season so your doing significantly better than me.

Last edited:
Back