Aguero wants to leave Atletico

Ben

I am a biased ****.
Reaction score
Liverpool and Manchester City target Sergio Aguero has publicly stated his desire to leave Atletico Madrid this summer.

The Argentina striker posted a statement on his website saying he felt he needed a move to continue his development.

"I said long ago that when I wanted to go, I would say so publicly. And the time has come," the statement said.

"So I keep to my word and here I am. I find it hard to leave Atletico. It hurts and saddens me. I've thought long and hard and I am convinced that I must be true to myself.

"I do not think I put a ceiling on the ability to keep learning, to keep growing. After five intense years, this stage for me personally is over and I have to give way to a new one.

"I'm about to turn 23 and I have everything before me. Suffice it to say that this is not an economic issue but strictly a sporting one.

"So I want to clearly express my appreciation to the club for the efforts they have made for giving me a salary that equates with the largest clubs in the world."

Aguero, 22, has scored over 100 goals for Atletico since joining from Independiente as a teenager in 2006.

As recently as January, he signed a new contract that runs until 2014 and was also named the club's vice-captain.

However, Aguero tonight said that he signed the new deal with an understanding that he may leave this summer, merely wanting to ensure Atletico received a larger fee.

"I want to say also that this decision has been maturing for some time," he added.

"The issue was discussed and agreed with Atletico last year when I was renewing my contract.

"I wanted to sign as a way to give back to the club for all the support they have given me. Had I not done so, they might not have received any more for my transfer. I received then a promise that the club would not stand in my way if I wanted to leave this summer.

"Therefore, in line with that commitment and my decision, I have asked them to listen to any offers they receive for me from different clubs."

Atletico suffered a disappointing season as they finished seventh in La Liga, although that has been good enough to earn them a Europa League berth.

Nevertheless, speculation over Aguero's future has been rife in recent days with the likes of Real Madrid, Juventus, Liverpool and Manchester City being linked with the son-in-law of Argentina legend Diego Maradona.

Only last week, Atletico chief executive Miguel Angel Gil Marin insisted Aguero was not for sale.

It really does seem like a difficult decision for him, he seems a loyal guy. It's good to see that he signed a new contract for that reason too, at least the club will receive the money they deserve for nurturing such a top talent. It sounds likely that he will move to England, and I for one would love to see him playing in the premier league. Unfortunately it seems it will be for one of our biggest rivals!

Really dont know what to make of this. Id love to see us sign him but the fee will be enormous and he will demand huge wages... Hes an excellent player and will do well for whoever signs him. :)

He better not sign with man city, sick of people wasting away there careers at that club and giving in to money.

My God, if he signed for Liverpool that would be freaking amazing!

This was posted last night and spoken about extensively in the Transfer Rumour Thread..

Think Real are apparently favourites, but I don't see him going there. In his statement he spoke about his love of the club and fans, so don't see him saying all that and then turning his back on them like that. Also, before anyone mentions Torres, it's a completely different situation.

City would be after that, but he's said that this move is nothing to do with money as he is one of the best paid players in the world so doesn't care about money which could rule them out, although he may be tempted by their project/players (he and Zabaleta are apparently quite close?)

Liverpool could sign him as he's a Liverpool fan and Maxi is his best friend but I don't see them spending £50M+ on 2 players in January just to go and spend more than £40M on another striker that they don't actually need. Although he is superb.

United could also sign him, but again we don't really need him and I don't see us spending £40M+ on a player we don't actually need.

Barcelona are reportedly close to signing Rossi, so it's unlikely but if he did sign there he'd be near his close friends Messi and Mascherano as well as staying in the country, although he wouldn't necessarily be first choice.

Inter Milan apparently want him too, but I don't see him going there, although Milito, Zanetti and Samuel are all there too (unless they've left/are leaving).

That's pretty much everyone, so it's really wide open as to who he'll join. Going to be incredible for whoever he signs for anyway.

Please chelsea go and get him, torres and aguero would be unstoppable.

could see him going to city now that they made champs league. I think it's unlikely he'll go to Liverpool due to the fact they're not in Europe at all

Liverpool could sign him as he's a Liverpool fan and Maxi is his best friend but I don't see them spending £50M+ on 2 players in January just to go and spend more than £40M on another striker that they don't actually need. Although he is superb.

Well i find he plays best off a main Striker. I could see him fitting into Liverpools team and would still be space for Carroll and Suarez. Dont forget that theres a lot about Liverpool signing a marquee player. Could be him, nobody knows.
Will be interesting to see where he goes anyway

Well i find he plays best off a main Striker. I could see him fitting into Liverpools team and would still be space for Carroll and Suarez. Dont forget that theres a lot about Liverpool signing a marquee player. Could be him, nobody knows.
Will be interesting to see where he goes anyway

He also said he wants to hit new heights, considering Atletico are in Europe and Liverpool aren't I don't see him doing dropping down.. (competition wise..)

He also said he wants to hit new heights, considering Atletico are in Europe and Liverpool aren't I don't see him doing dropping down.. (competition wise..)

Meh that's a pretty lame short term view, looking at the PL at the minute, I would say Man City, Arsenal, Tottenham and Liverpool are in the same boat, despite what competitions they are in next season. I would also go as far to say that Liverpool is a more appealing place for him to go as opposed to the other clubs mentioned, but I'm probably just being biased. I'm not expecting him to sign for us at all, but it's certainly not impossible, and 10000 times more possible than it would've been 12 months ago.

Hoping Damien and Kenny pull this one out the bag. I'm certainly not expecting him to be signed but I am hoping he will be. If he doesn't come to us I can see him joining City who are looking likely to lose Tevez, he'd be a perfect replacement really.

He'll never sign for liverpool cause he earns twice what liverpool's highest earner does

anyone thinks we are gonna offload Anelka and Drogba and use that money to sign him?

He'll never sign for liverpool cause he earns twice what liverpool's highest earner does

He does not. He is on 185k a week (euro's) which is approximately about 150k a week (pounds)?

Gerrard earns about 115k a week (pounds)?

Sure he'd be our highest earner but if FSG think he's worth it I'm sure they'll be willing.

Please do what Ive wanted you to do for about 3/4 years now and join Chelsea! Your former Atletico team mate is waiting ;)

Please do what Ive wanted you to do for about 3/4 years now and join Chelsea! Your former Atletico team mate is waiting ;)

They weren't team mates I don't think.. pretty sure Aguero signed as Torres left. Replacement sort of thing.

They weren't team mates I don't think.. pretty sure Aguero signed as Torres left. Replacement sort of thing.

They were both at the club for one season which was the 2006/07 season :). I checked just before I posted on fm to make sure I wasnt wrong :p

They played 1 season together, 2006/07.

Tons of rumours about him and his new team since that letter.

Who knows; Madrid, Barça, England, Italy,...

We'll see. Hard to say what would be his best choice.