Ajax 1971-73 recreation tactic- UPDATED

• Thread starter Thread starter maxy67
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 80
  • Views Views 44K

maxy67

Reaction score
[video=youtube;M5YLG57a2GE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5YLG57a2GE[/video]

Above is a brilliant video of Holland in 1974 I think it sums up how relentless and attacking the dutch side was.

View attachment 221939

A History and Explanation of Total Football:

Sjaak Swart (Nicknamed Mr. Ajax in the late 60's and early 70's) "...Very Agressive. We went for goal. First we make three goals and then, yes, we can make some nice combinations, something you would'nt normally do. You can make a show for the public. We were all winners; we weren't tryng to be artists. We Just wanted to win"...

These Ajax squads did not tiki-taka up and down the field. They moved the ball forward with a vengeance, constantly pushing their opponents. Players who had won the ball would pass to the man moving into space whether he was five or ten or forty yards ahead, and he seemed to be forty yards ahead a lot, especially on the moves that resulted in shots on goal. As David Winner quotes winger Sjark Swaart, “In four passes we would be in front of goal. Nowadays they take twenty passes — backwards, sideways, backwards. We didn’t play like that. We went for the goal.”

Their wingers were real wingers, hanging on the touchline with the ball to draw defenders wide before crossing, which allowed them to fill the gaps that were created in the center with midfielders and the occasional defender. If the defense failed to clear a cross, there were Ajax men everywhere waiting to pounce on the ball and take it home.

One of the main points I must stress from what I've read about total football is that the position switches were not happening all the time needlessly, just when they needed to and this meant that the midfield kept their shape.

Notes and Screenshots About my FM version:

I've noticed a large number of changes in position between the midfield 3 and the wingers. The two wider midfielders of the three, often help out wide, and then the wingers come inside at that point. Also I wanted to try recreate the Cruyff role better, but I could'nt find a striker good enough apart from messi to recreate it well, and I thought that'd be cheating.

The formation and team instructions:
View attachment 221941

As you can see a very high line like the Original Ajax Team, Quick Tempo and very wide play, all makes it very agressive and attacking.

View attachment 221943
View attachment 221944
View attachment 221945

View attachment 221947

Some of the ideas for the PI's were from last years http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/football-manager-2011-tactics-training/57796-[amateur]-tacticians-chalkboard-football-manager-2011-a.html- which is well worth a look for any tactician.

Results:

View attachment 221911View attachment 221912View attachment 221913View attachment 221914View attachment 221915View attachment 221916View attachment 221918View attachment 221942

Match Preperation: I use team work: very high- until all the areas are Fluid.
After that, I used Teamwork: Average

Shouts: I haven't used any shouts with this tactic.

Pitch Size: Normal seems to work very well.

Some Notes to consider when picking your side, and building it to fit in with total football: Obviously, if you’re going to remake Total Football, you need versatile players. The position switching — along with the pressing from the front and the high offsides line — is one of the vital characteristics of the system, and we can’t just ignore that and plug players into any old 4-3-3. I tried the formation with AC Milan and would dominate for the most 60 minutes, but the players got very tired as they're quite old so bare this in mind, so when I started with a new save with Juventus- I invested very heavily in youth and tried to tailor my players to fit within the system.

Last edited:
****** **** mate, I'll give it a go. I'm guessing this tactic would only be perfect for a very high level team. What's the pressing like? What did you do?

****** **** mate, I'll give it a go. I'm guessing this tactic would only be perfect for a very high level team. What's the pressing like? What did you do?

I'm guessing thats the case i couldn't imagine a low level team being able to cope with the constant changes in position and the complete freedom that they get in this tactic. The pressing is quite good, the match engine won't allow the realistic pressing of Ajax but i put the players on closing down the whole pitch and the team to press more. Was difficult to get this tactic correct, hopefully not everyone will ignore it. Also You really have to teach all your players the two positions for it to work best.

Man I think for this tactic you need a really strong Psihycal team, I'll try the tactic, looks good.

shouldn't total football have attacking strategy with direct passing?

shouldn't total football have attacking strategy with direct passing?

I left the strategy as standard, and then you can change it when your in the game if you want I prefer standard- I just wanted to give people the choice :) Its very attacking on standard even (several games I've scored 7 goals regulary with two different teams now- will post results with Dynamo Kyiev), and its quite direct, the tempo is quick so the ball gets up the field very fast, the ball is often launched up the field by the centre backs to the wingers to run on to, just like in the descriptions of the Ajax teams, so it is quite direct

Last edited:
Man I think for this tactic you need a really strong Psihycal team, I'll try the tactic, looks good.

That might be a good idea, all round players are perfect for it. Make sure that you train your players are comfortable in different positions (you'll find they will play all over the pitch) And a quick central defence with good concentration, is a must since it plays such a high line and is very reliant on the offside trap.

What patch?

I think its on the newest one, steam updates it automaticly I believe...

Btw. Just edited the defensive line very slightly, helps the tactic a lot- since fast wingers can't easily get behind the defence anymore (its still high just not extremley high), just beat B. Munich with Kyiev View attachment 203217

Anyone had a chance to try the tactic? Some feedback would be great!

Max I'm going to give this a go. I'm using my ajax side atm.This deserves to be used! Will give you feedback when I'm done. NERMAN :bow:

Max I'm going to give this a go. I'm using my ajax side atm.This deserves to be used! Will give you feedback when I'm done. NERMAN :bow:

Hope it works, it seemed to work very well with porto. If not then I'd love to do some tweaks. Thanks for the feedback as always.

Actually can see a change that needs to be made- put the strategy on attack- I'll update the tactic tonight and re-test it with Ajax.

@Maxy67 where did you get the first text about total football from? I know a winger "Mr. Ajax" called Sjaak Swart but didn't know his real name was Sjark Swaart. Just kiddin.... like the tactics and will give it a try when I start a new top club safe. Using to much new tactics already at the moment.

@Maxy67 where did you get the first text about total football from? I know a winger "Mr. Ajax" called Sjaak Swart but didn't know his real name was Sjark Swaart. Just kiddin.... like the tactics and will give it a try when I start a new top club safe. Using to much new tactics already at the moment.

No rush the tactic is being updated today :)

started a new game with Juventus and after 10 games my record is: P12 W8 D3 L1 F24 A10. So all in all not too bad, only defeat came at Inter. At one point i had 6 clean sheets in a row then i changed match prep to attacking movement - low and i let in 5 goals in the next two games, so now ive put it back to teamwork - average.

we struggled to score goals initially but now i find my strikers are getting better ratings and scoring more, although the tactic became fluid rather quickly, it still took time to find our shooting boots. what would you recommend i do about my front players i have elia, matri, quagliarella, vucinic, pepe and krasic...are they all suitable? shall i sell any? also have toni, iaquinta and amauri but they are not all that and are slow.

started a new game with Juventus and after 10 games my record is: P12 W8 D3 L1 F24 A10. So all in all not too bad, only defeat came at Inter. At one point i had 6 clean sheets in a row then i changed match prep to attacking movement - low and i let in 5 goals in the next two games, so now ive put it back to teamwork - average.

we struggled to score goals initially but now i find my strikers are getting better ratings and scoring more, although the tactic became fluid rather quickly, it still took time to find our shooting boots. what would you recommend i do about my front players i have elia, matri, quagliarella, vucinic, pepe and krasic...are they all suitable? shall i sell any? also have toni, iaquinta and amauri but they are not all that and are slow.

Thank you very much for the feedback on match prep, didn't realise it'd kill the results like that! Juventus have a pretty good forward line and elia and krasic should be perfect wingers. Toni, Iaquinta and Amauri- sell them. They're all old and on high wages, get some new players instead of them.

Good to hear that it started to work out eventually, always takes a tactic a bit of time for your team to get used to a new tactic.

Thank you very much for the feedback on match prep, didn't realise it'd kill the results like that! Juventus have a pretty good forward line and elia and krasic should be perfect wingers. Toni, Iaquinta and Amauri- sell them. They're all old and on high wages, get some new players instead of them.

Good to hear that it started to work out eventually, always takes a tactic a bit of time for your team to get used to a new tactic.

I Won Serie A loosing just 4 games and with 88 points. i performed poorly in the italian cup though. i have released amauri and toni as no one wanted them. board wouldnt let iaquinta go. I will continue into 2nd season.

Back