Ajax 1971-73 recreation tactic- UPDATED

• Thread starter Thread starter maxy67
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 80
  • Views Views 44K
It took a year to learn, but in my second season with Everton, playing almost exclusively this tactic, I had a breakout season. The only significant players I added were Sebastian Corchia (WBR), Nene (AML), and Vladimir Weiss (loan from Man City, made 17 starts and scored 7 goals, he was great) although Nene only played about half the season due to his getting hurt 3 or 4 times. Kouma Babacar was brought in to back up Jelavic and Nene, but he was only 19, not exactly a star yet.

I finished 2nd in the EPL (Liverpool ran away with the title, 97 points). I rolled up a 26-8 record (4 draws), for 82 points. Outscored the opposition 72-32, and I won the FA Cup, although I had a really good draw.

One thing I noticed . . . Darron Gibson played most of the year as the Advanced Playmaker Support (Left Central Midfielder). He scored 6 goals in 27 starts, all on long shots, with his 16 Long Shots rating. It was a HUGE unexpected boost to the team. So I definitely recommend sticking a good LS rating player there.

I also tweaked the individual long-shot instructions to match up with the players. I set everyone to low by default, then moved guys with 12-14 to sometimes and guys with 16 (Gibson/Nene) to sometimes or often, depending on the game.

We were undefeated at home 17-0 (2 draws), and went 9-8 with two draws on the road (4th best record in the league).

It takes a long time to learn this tactic, but the rewards reaped in season 2 made it well worth the wait.

To give an idea of the players used, my main lineup (going left to right) was Baines, Heitinga, Jagielka, Corchia for defense, Gibson, Rodwell, Fellaini midfield, Nene, Barkley, wingers, Jelavic striker.

Drenthe backed up Baines and Nene (trained him for WBL), Weiss backed up Barkley. Cahill was hurt much of the year. Distin and Duffy backed up the DCs, and Coleman backed up Corchia and the right-wingers (trained him for AMR). Howard played the entire year in goal. Gueye also backed up Nene, but since Bobacar and Drenthe had this covered, I loaned Gueye to Villa for some extra cash during the second half of the year.

I do recommend wingers that can finish for this tactic. Drenthe was very frustrating in year 1 missing all the time. So I went and got Nene, worked on Drenthe's finishing and made him more of a super-sub. Weiss's ability to score made him a huge plus. I'm bringing him over from Man City full time. Also trained Coleman on beating the offsides trap and it was very cool to see him do it in a game for a goal.

Thanks for all your feedback Joey, sorry its taken me so long to get back to you on this. I might add your feedback, to the front page of this tactic to help people who want to use it.

Back