Al's 4-2-3-1: Possession, goals and clean sheets

Alex

Andre Villas Boas <3
Reaction score
Hi folks,

http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/downloads.php?do=file&id=3594

As you might know this is the first tactic I'm deciding to share with FM-Base, I've not been a fan of downloading others and I do gain a lot more satisfaction out of making my own, whether it be finding the right one through trial and error or just instantaneously clicking with the right one straight away.

NB/ Before you read through and become disappointed, I must stress that in no way am I saying this is an unstoppable tactic that you can just download, win games 6 and 7-0 and do absolutely naff all, this is a tactic that is extremely effective when used by the right players. In my opinion anyway! But if you are looking for a tactic that will just win you everything without you having to do anything, then I suggest you jog on now.

Now down to business, this formation is mainly based on the Liverpool tactic in 2008-2009 under Rafa Benitez with a standard 4-2-3-1 formation with two central midfielders, 3 attacking midfielders and a lone striker.

View attachment 112730

Goalkeeper - Support - (7)
Right Back - Attack - (10)
Centre Back - Stopper - (8)
Centre Back - Cover - (6 )
Left Back - Support - (10)

The defence is based on the 'Nike defence' where when implemented correctly, it resembles the shape of a nike tick when defending and can prove exceptionally effective as shown in various screenshots below. The number in brackets next to the position shows the number of defensive mentality clicks needed to utilise the nike defence system.

Centre Midfielder - Box to box Midfielder - Support
Central Midfielder - Deep Lying Playmaker - Support
Attacking Midfielder (Right) - Winger - Support
Attacking Midfielder (Centre) - Attacking Midfielder - Support
Attacking Midfielder (Left) - Winger - Attack
Striker - Advanced Forward - Attack

View attachment 112732

With an average possession of around 60% per game, the main of this tactic is to work the ball around the midfield to enable Torres to have potentially a clear
cut chance on goal. And for clear cut chances, who more to ask for than Fernando Torres?! And good passing attributes are key!

Below are all of my results so far, a screenie of the league table and also a few standout ones against the big four, furthermore apart from the Arsenal game - I'd recommend checking out the possession stats :) ...

View attachment 112725View attachment 112726View attachment 112733View attachment 112734
View attachment 112729View attachment 112728
View attachment 112727

So yeah as I said, this is my first upload so give it a whack, see what you think then feedback... But be gentle with your criticism:)

Oh and for sceptical ones of you out there :-

View attachment 112731

I do know I am only halfway through the season but hopefully these screenshots give people an idea of what the tactics are like and what they can do. Please do leave feedback both positive and negative so I can work on making it super duper! Furthermore I know I do have a good starting XI so should win a lot of games so if you tried it with weaker teams that would be brill!

If you want any further screenies, just holla.

Thanks

Last edited:
You took the words out of my mouth "I've not been a fan of downloading others and I do gain a lot more satisfaction out of making my own" (K) :p

If it gets Liverpool in top 4 it must be a super tactic!

You took the words out of my mouth "I've not been a fan of downloading others and I do gain a lot more satisfaction out of making my own" (K) :p

If it gets Liverpool in top 4 it must be a super tactic!

You're lucky I lav ya.

v good tactic buddy, just downloaded it and its working v well with my team, arsenal. played 9 won 7 drawn 2 lost 0. no tweaks, working just fine as it is . will keep you posted thanks again (H)

Thank you mate, do keep the feedback coming. How else will I know where to improve it!

i will try this out , looks great after 20 games in my savegame ( anderlecht2012 )

Last edited:
Cheers mate, keep it coming.

Thanks for sharing just a few questions. Do you use OI's and what team instructions/shouts on the pitch do you use if any?

I'll let you know what my results are like after a few games. My first result was a 0-0 draw away at Man City, so not a bad start considering my Liverpool squad are still getting uses to the tactic. Feedback to come later :)

I'll let you know what my results are like after a few games. My first result was a 0-0 draw away at Man City, so not a bad start considering my Liverpool squad are still getting uses to the tactic. Feedback to come later :)

Cheers mate, lemme know how you get on :)

Thanks for sharing just a few questions. Do you use OI's and what team instructions/shouts on the pitch do you use if any?

I don't use any shouts/OI's at all, occasionally if I'm a goal ahead against a big team towards the end I'll use the shout ''Retain ball possession'' but apart from that nothing.

thanks my freind

No problemo.

hey where did you get the idea for nike defence etc, seems like a good concept

the nike defense has been around for ages, and works brilliantly nearly all the time
i have it in all of my tactics!

hey where did you get the idea for nike defence etc, seems like a good concept

the nike defense has been around for ages, and works brilliantly nearly all the time
i have it in all of my tactics!

Ignore him danichese, I made it up all on my own ;)

But seriously its been around for ages and works fantastically as Jones said.

lol i meant to say where did you find the idea for nike football ;) you wont be offended if i just use your defense tactic will ya

Of course not mate ha. it just seems to work very well.

i have downloaded a lot of tactics over the last few days and this is by far the best, the defensive setup especially is superb

grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
:D :D :D thanks a lot mate. Reckon you could say who you were and what sort of results you were getting?