Al's 4-2-3-1: Possession, goals and clean sheets

Just tried this with Liverpool using the following line-up...

GK. Pepe Reina

DR. Jamie Carragher
DL. Michel Bastos
DC. Domenico Critisco
DC. Phillipe Mexes

MC, Paulo Henrique
MC. Arturo Vidal

AMR. Steven Gerrard
AML. Arjen Robben
AMC. Wesley Sneijder

ST. Fernando Torres

I beat Millwall 1 - 0. This isnt really good enough is it?

Hate to sound like a ****, but how did you afford Coentrao, Bale, Lukaku & Mata with Liverpool

what sideline instructions do you use for this ?

None at all. Occasionally 'retain ball possession' when holding a delicate lead late on but none other than that really.

I know, two late goals made a very nice result :) One of the more pleasing results!

I shall try putting some more relaxing team talks for the runabout matches, as it has worked a couple of times when team morale is low. I'm 3rd in the table, joint with United and 5 points behind Arsenal with about 10 matches to go. If I'd used the tactic from the start it could've been higher!!!

Good stuff, yeah that may prove rewarding. Oh that's still ****** good! Using these tactics I won the league by 10 points so hopefully you can build on this :)

Hate to sound like a ****, but how did you afford Coentrao, Bale, Lukaku & Mata with Liverpool

48 months mate (Y)

Just tried this with Liverpool using the following line-up...

GK. Pepe Reina

DR. Jamie Carragher
DL. Michel Bastos
DC. Domenico Critisco
DC. Phillipe Mexes

MC, Paulo Henrique
MC. Arturo Vidal

AMR. Steven Gerrard
AML. Arjen Robben
AMC. Wesley Sneijder

ST. Fernando Torres

I beat Millwall 1 - 0. This isnt really good enough is it?

No. Do you expect to be running away with everything using the tactic for the first time though? No. Give it time. And make sure players are in the right roles etc. Gerrard as an AMC is amazing.

I use a similar tactic to this. With different player instructions. Works a treat

will try this qith my blackburn game and keep you up to speed on the outcome :)

think its possible to use this tactic for milan ?

struggling to find a suggestive tactic for milan in fm11, they stink :<

No. Do you expect to be running away with everything using the tactic for the first time though? No. Give it time. And make sure players are in the right roles etc. Gerrard as an AMC is amazing.

I have played two more games at Blackburn and Wigan. Won both 2 - 0 and Torres has scored 3.

So far 3 wins out of 3 and no goals conceded. Looking good.

pre season hasnt been too impressive so far but my newcastle team are still adapting. beaten by my reserves and just scraped wins over leeds and doncaster. i'll stick with it though and let you know how it goes a few games into the season

Good stuff, yeah that may prove rewarding. Oh that's still ****** good! Using these tactics I won the league by 10 points so hopefully you can build on this :)

Played one more match since that update at home to Wolves and tried the No Pressure team talk, worked a treat. 3-0 was my win and now I'm 2nd in the league, 2 points behind Arsenal and 2 points ahead of United. Slowly climbing, I'll keep you updated!

How long would you say it takes untill this really starts working in full flow?

Yo Alex ,

back with some news :)

i've been using your tactic last season , after i lost in semifinal CL vs Real i decided to use your tactic as base but added lots of my own 4231 to it . so 1 great defensive base of yours and attacking tweaks of mine , i hope it will be a toptactic .

biggest tweaks :

* time wasting reduced to almost none
* inside fwd's (on attack ) instead of wingers , so less crosses ( should help for passing game i want )
* dmcr = ball winning mid ( defend ) -> reduced mentality to same as dmlc
* dmcl = deeplying pm ( support)
* amc = attacking mid (attack )
* sc : deeplying fwd ( support )
* dr is on support now
* passing = shorter now ( almost everyone on lowest mixed setting )
*EDIT : low tempo seems to work well here

i added screen of last results ( all played with your tactic till CL semi's )
i will now try the new version this season

http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/1306/rscaresults2012.jpg

Last edited:

On the Match Preparation screen check on the Current tactic. When all the things are above Accomplished then it should work well :)

Good to hear all the feedback, glad to hear it Calum!! :D

Fantastic sweez please do keep me updated!

---------- Post added at 01:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:03 AM ----------

Usually around 10 games or so.

If you get your full backs to 'close down' in 'own half' then that should reduce the amount of crosses coming into the box.

Thanks, absolutely going to try that tomorrow. So far it seems my players are doing better with this tactic though. Just beat ManUtd 5-0 at home and Liverpool. I am making use of OI's and also of sideline instructions. I think this works better for me, the results just seem to be better.

My team is:

Gomes
Kaboul-Shawcross-King-Bassong
M'Vila-Huddlestone
Lennon-Van der Vaart - Bale
Modric

My assistent adviced me to put Modric as a striker and I just gave it a try. Since then I am absolutely unbeatable and Modric is scoring 2 per match + 1,5 assists per match, it is amazing!

The OI's I use are Tight Marking + Pressing = always for all wingers and strikers, and tackles hard = always for wingers. The sideline instructions I use from the start are: Retain Possession, pass to feet, work into box, and stay onto feet. I might change them if something happens.

Thanks, absolutely going to try that tomorrow. So far it seems my players are doing better with this tactic though. Just beat ManUtd 5-0 at home and Liverpool. I am making use of OI's and also of sideline instructions. I think this works better for me, the results just seem to be better.

My team is:

Gomes
Kaboul-Shawcross-King-Bassong
M'Vila-Huddlestone
Lennon-Van der Vaart - Bale
Modric

My assistent adviced me to put Modric as a striker and I just gave it a try. Since then I am absolutely unbeatable and Modric is scoring 2 per match + 1,5 assists per match, it is amazing!

The OI's I use are Tight Marking + Pressing = always for all wingers and strikers, and tackles hard = always for wingers. The sideline instructions I use from the start are: Retain Possession, pass to feet, work into box, and stay onto feet. I might change them if something happens.

Brilliant stuff, I'll start using those OI's and sideline instructions from now and see how my results progress.

Ususally it is just a case of waiting for the players to become accustomed to the tactic really. Glad to hear it's working so far!

---------- Post added at 06:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:34 PM ----------

Any further feedback gents?

i have a question i keep asking myself :
slow tempo & direct passing for attacking players
or
quick tempo & short passing for everybody
what's the difference lol ?
now i use slow tempo & short passing , good idea ?
in home games i put 1 fb on fwd runs mixed & try to play attacking instead of control : working on that thing also
i keep tweaking atm , season 4 , going well
i added tight marking for the fullbacks , not bad i think
wide play : who does the st move into channels ? i made the sc a deeplying fwd , so i guess i have to change his wide play ? i put mlc , amc on move into channels instead and see how this goes
also : do u guys score a lot from corners ? i don't , fk's are ok but corners are rarely scored . did u put time in the setpieces Alex ' ?

Last edited:
i have a question i keep asking myself :
slow tempo & direct passing for attacking players
or
quick tempo & short passing for everybody
what's the difference lol ?
now i use slow tempo & short passing , good idea ?
in home games i put 1 fb on fwd runs mixed & try to play attacking instead of control : working on that thing also
i keep tweaking atm , season 4 , going well
i added tight marking for the fullbacks , not bad i think
wide play : who does the st move into channels ? i made the sc a deeplying fwd , so i guess i have to change his wide play ? i put mlc , amc on move into channels instead and see how this goes
also : do u guys score a lot from corners ? i don't , fk's are ok but corners are rarely scored . did u put time in the setpieces Alex ' ?

I use a moderately short tempo and short passing, this maximises possession and creates chances.

I have my FB's closing down in own half so they stop crosses, as we know this is an effective part of FM11. I don't do tight marking on the full backs as with tricky/skillful wingers they will get torn to shreds.

I spent a fair bit of time on corners, scored around 13/14 over the season using my corner set pieces.

corners indeed work well , i was wrong about that , i reckon :)
i play on tempo 3/20 , time wasting 3/20 and passing is 7/20 ( first notch of mixed setting ) , could i lower this (passing) to 3 or 4/20 also , what u think ?
also cross aim of FB's to centre : i like , never used this before but it's good for a non superwide 4231
offside trap would be good i think , but man marking + offsidetrap is no good combo i guess

Last edited: