Amy Winehouse found dead

Speculation that it was an ecstasy overdose.
--
‎5 days ago a true British hero was killed fighting for our country. Did you know this? Do you know his name? Did you care? A singer addicted to drugs and alcohol dies and its all over the news, Facebook and Twitter in minutes!!! ! RIP Corporal Mark Anthony Palin from 1st Battalion the Rifles! Give him the honour he deserves as well as all the lost souls before him.

No one is suggesting that the soldier's death is any less significant or tragic than Winehouse's. Her's was reported because she is well known and it comes as a shock. Both deaths are tragic, as is any loss of life at a young age.

Oh come on. It isn't fair or sensible to quote **** like that. We didn't know his name, no, and that's exactly why it isn't all over the news, Facebook and Twitter. Amy Winehouse was a well-known person, and Cpl. Palin wasn't, so it is understandable that it wasn't immediately all over the news straight away, not to mention the fact that we, the public, have become rather inured to soldiers dying, however bad that may seem. As a final point, he's a soldier: it was in his line of duty that he should put his life in danger regularly. That he should die isn't such a shock as Winehouse's death.

The news reported it on the 20th. The point isn't that she's well known or about the news, more the fact people are more bothered and care more just because she's famous. Why should fame create empathy?

Also, I was hardly shocked to hear she'd died.

---------- Post added at 12:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:46 AM ----------

No one is suggesting that the soldier's death is any less significant or tragic than Winehouse's. Her's was reported because she is well known and it comes as a shock. Both deaths are tragic, as is any loss of life at a young age.

Soldiers death was reported, actually. Her death wasn't a shock. Generally when you take the cocktail of drugs she did regularly, it's bound to go wrong sooner rather than later. You missed my point completely.

The news reported it on the 20th. The point isn't that she's well known or about the news, more the fact people are more bothered and care more just because she's famous. Why should fame create empathy?

Also, I was hardly shocked to hear she'd died.

Because like it or not, fame also induces intimate knowledge of a person. We knew her life story more or less, and knowing someone that well (whether they know you or not) creates empathy in itself.

And yeah, me neither, but it's still more of a shock than a soldier dying.

Because like it or not, fame also induces intimate knowledge of a person. We knew her life story more or less, and knowing someone that well (whether they know you or not) creates empathy in itself.

And yeah, me neither, but it's still more of a shock than a soldier dying.

The somewhat convoluted point I was trying to make, is that people feel sympathy for someone who by and large got what was coming, and firstly almost completely forget to mention the family - who are the real victims. And secondly, are almost completely ignorant to other, far more tragic events. Norway was a horrid event, but it was when Winehouse died that the internet really came alive. I'm not by any means saying people have forgotten Norway over this, but it certainly seems people care much more about a single drug addict rather than 90 innocents. An easy example to make would be how many people offered sympathies for the Norway thread here, and then the sheer volume that appeared on this thread. And then everyone's individual experiences with twitter/facebook etc.

There's no need to compare it to other deaths.

A famous person died, someone people enjoy to read about, continue to read about. It's going to be reported. To compare it to the Norway incident is ridiculous.

Hang on, what reply are you talking about? Because I've came on fm-base to scan for a few databases and saw this thread, so thought I'd share my mind on the situation. I've never seen your username on here before so I'm 99.9% sure I haven't quoted or replied to you. (The 0.1% is there as a safety net incase I've had one too many belgian beers)

I read that she had a clothes collectionhttp://www.zalando.co.uk/clothing coming out for fred perry, and now they are wondering if it would be moral and legal to release it anyway. and they are already negociating with her management and family. like wth she just died.

Last edited:
The somewhat convoluted point I was trying to make, is that people feel sympathy for someone who by and large got what was coming, and firstly almost completely forget to mention the family - who are the real victims. And secondly, are almost completely ignorant to other, far more tragic events. Norway was a horrid event, but it was when Winehouse died that the internet really came alive. I'm not by any means saying people have forgotten Norway over this, but it certainly seems people care much more about a single drug addict rather than 90 innocents. An easy example to make would be how many people offered sympathies for the Norway thread here, and then the sheer volume that appeared on this thread. And then everyone's individual experiences with twitter/facebook etc.

Well then rail against the social structure of this country, which glorifies celebrities to the point where they're almost deities. Don't just post some **** about an unrelated soldier, who died fighting in a war (and thus a **** of a lot more likely to die). Even better, just don't even say anything at all, because you're not going to change anything: it's how our society works. You're not going to convince stupid people more interested in Winehouse's death than a bona fide terrorist attack on a major nation to think otherwise, so there's little point in trying.

Amy Winehouse spent more time in rehab than her songs did in the chart

Hang on, what reply are you talking about? Because I've came on fm-base to scan for a few databases and saw this thread, so thought I'd share my mind on the situation. I've never seen your username on here before so I'm 99.9% sure I haven't quoted or replied to you. (The 0.1% is there as a safety net incase I've had one too many belgian beers)

You said you weren't arsed. But appearantly you are since you made a comment about it and replied to me on this thread.

This is an internet forum were you reply to threads. I saw the thread title and replied with what I think of it.

umad bro?

Just something for people to think about. Is it maybe a good thing that the news is more concerned and reporting more about Whinehouse's death rather than the the Norway tradgedy. Put yourself in the shoes of the children or parents of the Norway victims. Would you rather have the world be talking about the horrific event and have reporters in your country talking about it constantly. Or would you rather be left alone to mourn the dead and try to recover from the tradgedy in peace?

Just something for people to think about. Is it maybe a good thing that the news is more concerned and reporting more about Whinehouse's death rather than the the Norway tradgedy. Put yourself in the shoes of the children or parents of the Norway victims. Would you rather have the world be talking about the horrific event and have reporters in your country talking about it constantly. Or would you rather be left alone to mourn the dead and try to recover from the tradgedy in peace?

The Norway tragedy should be reported, but I disagree with the way it has been.

Another talented, but flawed musician joins the 27 club. No doubt she had the voice, but clearly couldn't handle the fame, like so many before her.

She had her chances though, plenty of rehab opportunities and chances to turn her life around, but destructive personalities always go back to the drink and the drugs. Those poor bastards in Norway didn't get those second chances at life.

RIP Amy, you didn't deserve to die so young, i just resent the way your death has dominated the headlines ahead of one of the worst massacres of recent times.

The Norway tragedy should be reported, but I disagree with the way it has been.

It should be yes as the world should know what has happened but also the victims should be left alone to recover

suprised no one's argued that cobain was killed! there's so many conspiracies about these types of deaths, i expect there will be a few with amy's.

She had her chances though, plenty of rehab opportunities and chances to turn her life around, but destructive personalities always go back to the drink and the drugs. life.
they tried to make her go to rehab but she said no, no, no....

such a pity, one of the most gifted and talented artists around, voice of a angelic devil! Such a shame she could not hold it together and really try and get the help that she needed...

a massive loss to the music industry.....