An [Amateur] Tactician's Chalkboard for FM11

• Thread starter iNickStuff
  • Start date
  • Replies 694
  • Views 451K
Status
Not open for further replies.
Must take ages writing all this out :L
very good mate deffo looking out for this:)

When and what will be next?? great stuff

Well, me and Mike. are working on trying to demonstrate the modern 4-4-2 tactic, that bases around how effective it can be in today's game, but you should be seeing in the near future shortlists for the 'modern Centre Forward and Second Striker, as well as possibly tactical templates and how to play the false nine.

And thanks, I appreciate the comment.

brilliant thread mate

after reading your comments about moutinho im really looking forward to a playmaker article

I have been using your 4-4-2 Villareal tactics with my Nottingham Forrest team. They are brilliant tactics and have given me some great results. Thanks a lot for the articles... they have been an enjoyable read.

picture.php

[*]The 'How-to' Series: An article series that looks at common problems in Football Manager for those who are left scratching their heads in trying to achieve a certain aspect in their tactics or player instructions. This series delves into that - ongoing.

Thanks,
iNickStuff

I've been trying to find these. where can i find these? i once saw a how-to play possession football but never found it again. whats the link? thanks

-------------------

forget i asked. read the whole thread. it was here all these time. sorry

Last edited:
I've been trying to find these. where can i find these? i once saw a how-to play possession football but never found it again. whats the link? thanks

-------------------

forget i asked. read the whole thread. it was here all these time. sorry

That's partially my fault. I haven't added the last four articles to the OP. I will do after the upcoming fifth, in conjunction with Mike. (themadsheep2001)

Apologies from my part too.

---------- Post added at 01:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:18 PM ----------

I have been using your 4-4-2 Villareal tactics with my Nottingham Forrest team. They are brilliant tactics and have given me some great results. Thanks a lot for the articles... they have been an enjoyable read.

Thank you very much, I appreciate your comments, as well as the success you are having with it.

The articles are not a problem. :)

picture.php

'modern tactics: How Liverpool should play from now until May

• After the signings of Andy Carroll and Luis Suarez (as well as the departure of Torres) looking at how Liverpool can play for the rest of the season.
  • Looking at the possible formations King Kenny could employ to fit Suarez and Carroll into the current line-up, following the departure of their no. 9.
Article # 4.5: The 'modern Series
Tuesday, 1st February 2011

Right, now that the January transfer window has finally shut, the Premier League returns to business tonight and tomorrow, with all of the title contenders and their latest signings having the possible chance to make their debuts for their new clubs. Despite having the signings of Dzeko, Bent, Torres and so all at their new respective clubs, Liverpool's interesting double-swoop for Luis Suarez and Andy Carroll probably caught the most attention (if you forget about Fernando Torres for a bit), as Kenny Dalglish whipped out the chequebook to sign the two for a huge £57.8million - if combined.

Carroll, who cost the Merseysiders a huge £35million, doesn't make his debut for the Reds for another few weeks whilst he recovers from injury, but Luis Suarez may well be looking to make his start in a Liverpool shirt tomorrow, when Dalglish looks to get a win over Stoke City in the league and close the 5-point gap on Sunderland to two. That is if they fail to do the double over Chelsea at the Stadium of Light, and have the Blues come to Tyneside and get revenge over the Black Cats after their defeat to Bruce's men at Stamford Bridge.

But with Torres having gone the other way, following his written transfer request to leave Anfield to seek football elsewhere, it now leaves the new no. 9 in Andy Carroll to fill the size 12's (I just guessed Torres' shoe size) that he left behind him when he dawned the Reds shirt for three-and-a-half years he was at the club. The tactical side of Liverpool's game has changed, following Hodgson's departure. Now we can look at what Kenny will look to employ from now until May.

Database changes ...

I have only made a couple of small changes to my current game, adding Carroll and Suarez to the Liverpool ranks, with their respective transfer fees, and sending Torres the other way and his quite substantial fee to the bottom of his picture (in-game). This, obviously, allows me to play around tactically with the possible formations, roles, duties and instructions Dalglish may have for his new recruits. Here.

The Liverpool team

Putting aside the fact that I am a Manchester United supporter, and the traditional hatred towards our Liverpudlian counterparts, I am not going to be biased in opinion during this article, and be as impartial as I can possibly be. If you are concerned, offended or downright disgusted by this article, please comment below. Otherwise, I thank you for not doing so.

Moving on.

Now, according to the Liverpool backroom staff (and Sammy Lee), Liverpool have great concentration, good first touch, height, passing, strength and technique. The downside? Poor dribbling. Now, this comes at quite a good advantage for Liverpool, because they generally cover the important fields with good results. Height, strength and concentration gives a good impression that they can maintain a strong and well-organised defence, whilst first touch also adds it's own incentive. Poor dribbling only really givess off that they are not exactly great dribblers. Not extremely important. Tactically, Liverpool can really play several formations, in which benefit the majority of the team. Let's go through them.

Standard 4-2-3-1

picture.php

Something that was adopted by Rafa during his time in charge of the club, with the often-loved-but-flailing Gerrard-Torres link-up, where Captain Marvel plays just in behind the clinical striker. Gerrard supplies passes and through balls into channels, in which he is then able to latch onto, weave through the opposition defence and give a devastating finish to melt the Liverpool faithful - especially at Anfield.

Before Xabi Alonso's departure to Madrid, the Spaniard would also play a pivotal part in supplying the pass that Gerrard is trying to do now. But, with him gone, the Hollywood pass is less famed within the Liverpool line-up, and now relies on short, quick-and-instrumental passing to give service to the frontman. Gerrard can provide it, but I think it's safe to say that it is not the same without Xabi doing it.

4-2-3-1 with defensive midfielders

picture.php

Hodgson dabbled on this, with Lucas and Meireles acting in a 'creator-destroyer' partnership, that would see the Portuguese and Brazilian swap defensive and attacking duties, yet supplement similar passes to the front three (or four). Meireles' passing ability is, undoubtedly a key part to his game and Liverpool's when he plays, and has become first-team player, alongside Lucas, since his arrival at Anfield.

Kuyt, Maxi and Gerrard, the front three already had their own roles. Kuyt had a workaholic-like emphasis to his game, so that already had him in his own sort of role. Maxi was just the usual winger, with the ability to cut inside and pass, or even just supply a through ball to the main man (Torres) for a possible goal. Gerrard would do the same, but come back and help out the midfield play, in which gave Meireles and Lucas an extra man back.

picture.php

Has not been utilised very often. Torres would have often had N'Gog or Kuyt drop further back whilst he sits ahead and waits upon service to him. Kuyt has rarely been given the role to play as a second striker (unfortunately) and has generally missed out on the chance of being a sort of 'bulldog striker' and harry defenders for the ball. The only real questions raised are where Gerrard plays, and whether he's reverted back to his supposedly-natural central midfield position, alongisde Lucas or Meireles.

Should that happen, then there will be the need of a rotation between the three midfielders, as playing all three of them in the same line-up has become a common thing to do when selecting a usual Liverpool team, but it's effectiveness is questionable. Maxi Rodriguez, Joe Cole and Milan Jovanovic are contenders for places down the wings, as the departure of Ryan Babel means the Reds are one man short of versatile wingers. Whether the 4-4-2 would be effective is questionable, but it's not a far-fetched idea.

picture.php

With the new signings of Carroll and Suarez, this also doesn't rule out a possible 4-4-1-1. The possibly-famed Carroll-Suarez partnership would be ideal, and having the Uruguayan drop off the towering target man would have a tasty partnership in the mix. Suarez's speed, technique and off-the-ball movement, as well as ability to possibly supply the odd through-ball into the promising England striker has already played around in the minds of Liverpool supporters, and the partnership could also spell a good amount of goals cropping up. Rotation in Gerrard with Suarez is a good idea, seeing as when Carroll is injured, Suarez plays up-top and Gerrard is again the supplier.

Midfield-wise, Meireles and Lucas are already contenders. The two have already become a favoured pair in the centre of midfield for Liverpool, and the usual defensive and attacking duties by the double would be greatly enhanced if they utilise this through the 4-4-1-1. We have already discussed contenders for roles out-wide, so there isn't much need to run through it again.

Defensive organisation

picture.php

One thing that Roy Hodgson can be credited for was his ability to make Liverpool a defensively organised team. Although results say otherwise, it was the rigid, solid and well-disciplined back four from the Reds that allowed them to scrape away from games without losing 5-0, 6-0 or even 7-0.

During Hodgson's time, Liverpool never conceded more than three goals, both home and away. Their biggest defeat was away to Mancini's Manchester City, where 'Pool were beaten 3-0. Since then, Liverpool, despite having been defeated ten times this season, have lost with results such as 1-0, 2-1 and 3-1. Not to mention the Reds having conceded less goals than Manchester City and Tottenham Hotspur.

Kuyt's importance

picture.php

If I say so myself, Dirk Kuyt is probably one of the most important players in Liverpool's team currently. If he wasn't with the presence of Torres as the main striker, I am sure he has risen in the pecking order. The Dutchman has been an instrumental figure for the club since joining from Eredivise outfit Feyenoord in the summer of 2006, and has gone on to make over 150 appearances in a Liverpool shirt, whilst having played nineteen times this season from a possible twenty-four. It is pretty well-known that the majority of clubs in the Premier League would be more than welcome to a player such as Kuyt to join them, and have them on their team. The likes of Man Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal, Tottenham and Man City would invite him to their squad with open arms.

Although not one of the greatest finishers in the team, Kuyt's presence as a winger and as a team player stretches far enough to make him almost cement his place (it's implied) in the plans of Kenny Dalglish. This has been shown by having scored forty goals in his career in Merseyside.

Meireles and Lucas partnership

picture.php

Putting Meireles and Lucas beside each other is one thing, but their actual roles and duties are another matter. Since Meireles' arrival in the summer of last year from F.C. Porto, Lucas' new-found midfield partner has allowed advantages to both him and the squad. Cristian Poulsen's inability to make an impact has led to him being a fringe player, so therefore is not eligible for rotation unless stated by the Scotsman, Dalglish. This is advantageous because:

• Liverpool have two real playmakers instead of one, in Gerrard and Meireles.
  • Should Gerrard be unavailable (which is likely) Meireles can step in and supply passes from deep, whilst playing alongside Lucas.
  • It now creates a 'creator-destroyer' combination between the two central midfielders.
  • They can alternate between attacking and defensive duties, and swap roles because of their versatility.
  • They are both able to operate as central and defensive midfielders - not as if it makes a significant difference.
  • They are both good tacklers off the ball, and can provide the Liverpool defence with an extra coating of strong defence.
  • They can both put out more-than-decent passes.
Take a look at their passing games after they won 2-0 vs. Wolverhampton Wanderers not long ago this season:

View attachment 129942

View attachment 129943

As you can see, both of them had a successful passing game, with both of them having less than 20 of their passes being unsuccessful. Lucas' ability to complete more successful passes than Meireles (42 against 38) shows that he can tally up just as well as the Portuguese, whilst the ex-F.C. Porto man was able to assist in one of the goals. A memorable pass from inside his own half to find Torres and for him to find the back of the net. Class. And combined, the pair completed 80 successful passes in that game. Also class.

There are a few more points, but I won't list them. That should give you a clue as to how important they are. Now that we've run through the important parts to Liverpool's game and what can be done by King Kenny to achieve a possible Champions League spot come May, I have dabbled a bit (as you would) with Liverpool and the database changes to see what I can conjure up with Liverpool. Bear in mind this save isn't to be successful or anything, but just show how Liverpool could play with Carroll and Suarez now available. Take for example of my 4-1 mauling of Fulham (sorry Jack).

Gerrard and Suarez

picture.php

Gerrard actually scores a minute into the match, so this is when the game is a few seconds old. I circle Gerrard and Suarez in yellow because I played a 4-2-3-1 so that it allows Gerrard to play in the middle, and to highlight the sort of movement that he would make if King Kenny was to employ those two in the same way.

picture.php

Later on, Babel receives the ball, and has the two options in Suarez and Gerrard available for passes. Gerrard is almost line with Suarez, who has the ability to go past Hughes and Hangeland, and score. Babel also has the ability to knock further wide, or cut into the middle and provide a through pass.

picture.php

He choses to cut inside, and now has the two options still available from a few seconds ago. Both through-passes. Suarez, with his pace, could latch on and have a crack, or Gerrard could thump one and hope it hits top corner ...

picture.php

Gerrard has a crack instead. 1-0.

Just to note ...

This isn't a full article. It's a half-article. I only did it because I was inspired from last night and thought about it this morning, alongside other possible articles. I will attach the articles to the OP later on when the fifth article is released (so there is actually something there on the OP and it doesn't look bare) and readers can easily find the posts, click on them and revert back to the index when they need to find another.

Will be doing other tactical articles soon, but really a main project is still within balance with Mike. and that is what I would like to post first as a full article before I move onto other things such as the false nine, playmakers of modern football and others.

But for now, it's just another article.

Thanks for reading.

Last edited:
Great read again . I think Kimg Kenny will go 442 Carroll doing the heading and Suarez using his pace just like when he was manager before. He does like tall and small together just like Harry does!

Great read again . I think Kimg Kenny will go 442 Carroll doing the heading and Suarez using his pace just like when he was manager before. He does like tall and small together just like Harry does!

Thanks, I appreciate your feedback. And it would be nice to see a big-small partnership. Would make them a lot more dangerous with two strikers, rather than one.

Hope to have the modern 4-4-2 written by friday before the Six nations

Tonights game was perfect for the modern 4-4-2, and ive scored some very good recent fm goals highlighting how the 4-4-2 can overload 3 man mids

Tonights game was perfect for the modern 4-4-2, and ive scored some very good recent fm goals highlighting how the 4-4-2 can overload 3 man mids

Nice, wouldn't mind seeing them and taking a few points from it to add into the article. And it was a good game to recognise it, just waiting on ZM to cover it.

---------- Post added at 04:54 PM ---------- Previous post was yesterday at 03:34 AM ----------

Tidied the OP to make it easier to find the latest articles, and have assorted them into categories so that they aren't clogged and difficult to pick out.

Next article is coming shortly. Stay tuned.

Nice, wouldn't mind seeing them and taking a few points from it to add into the article. And it was a good game to recognise it, just waiting on ZM to cover it.

---------- Post added at 04:54 PM ---------- Previous post was yesterday at 03:34 AM ----------

Tidied the OP to make it easier to find the latest articles, and have assorted them into categories so that they aren't clogged and difficult to pick out.

Next article is coming shortly. Stay tuned.
4-4-2 write up has officially begun. Will try not to make it a massive essay (unlike my united guide) let me know what you think of the PKM

4-4-2 write up has officially begun. Will try not to make it a massive essay (unlike my united guide) let me know what you think of the PKM

Gonna look at it now, cheers for the link.

And you've seen it people. It's official. Work has begun.

Status
Not open for further replies.