An [Amateur] Tactician's Chalkboard for FM11

• Thread starter iNickStuff
  • Start date
  • Replies 694
  • Views 451K
Status
Not open for further replies.
No, it's fine, I just wanted clarification on what was going on.

Be my guest.

Ok, sorry for giving you a shock :p

I'll compile a short report, the changes I've made to the original to adapt it for the lower leagues, and the relevant screenshots. I've had a surprising result too, but I won't give too much away ;)

Ok, sorry for giving you a shock :p

I'll compile a short report, the changes I've made to the original to adapt it for the lower leagues, and the relevant screenshots. I've had a surprising result too, but I won't give too much away ;)

Sounds fine by me. When you do, I'll add it to the OP under a sub-category for the 'modern 4-4-2.

Would be nice to have variants of the tacitcs. :)

AWESOME work man..... like everything ...i am using a 4-2-1-3 wiht 2 CM's one AMC 2 wingers and one striker..... it is an interesting tactic can you do what you did with 4-4-2 villareal tactic but with this one?? anyways thank you for all your work :D

my short article/report is taking longer than I thought, haven't started today due to football training which I forgot about, and I'm playing a match tomorrow from 4 :S

Might be ready by Friday or maybe the week-end :(

iNickstuff, whats next up on your list?

Well, I have a number of possible articles in the 'modern and How-to Series coming up. It depends. I could get one done this week or by the weekend, but it may likely be around next week. I am not 100% sure. Add some at your will, because I am open to suggestions:

• 'modern Fullbacks
  • 'modern Playmakers
  • How-to: Replicate the 'false nine'
  • How-to: Achieve higher passage rates from your playmakers
  • The Stretford End Project - 2010/11 Season
  • 'modern 4-2-3-1
  • 'modern 4-1-2-1-2
  • Italian football in English football
  • Arsenal vs. Machester City - Analysed
Why I can't see any picture from all of your articles?

Try a different browser, i.e. Internet Explorer, Mozilla Fireforx, Opera, Google Chrome ..

AWESOME work man..... like everything ...i am using a 4-2-1-3 wiht 2 CM's one AMC 2 wingers and one striker..... it is an interesting tactic can you do what you did with 4-4-2 villareal tactic but with this one?? anyways thank you for all your work :D

Well, that is an unusual tactic, and more or less done to achieve mass success in FM. I only work on modern-day tactics, and what is used in real football.

I might do a quick tactic for that and upload it in the Tactics section, but no promises.

my short article/report is taking longer than I thought, haven't started today due to football training which I forgot about, and I'm playing a match tomorrow from 4 :S

Might be ready by Friday or maybe the week-end :(

There is no rush. Take your time.

Ideally, you could do it soon so that I can put it into the OP and then under the other tactic, but really there is no rush.

The How-to: Replicate the 'false nine' and How-to: Achieve higher passage rates from your playmaker these will be very interesting to read about.

Holy **** Mike., try not to kill my eyes next time. Excellent read, 4-4-2 is still my favourite formation, perfect article.

Nick, superb thread. Seen it in the Recent Threads list many times but never actually thought of viewing it, I certainly will do from now on :wub:

Well, I have a number of possible articles in the 'modern and How-to Series coming up. It depends. I could get one done this week or by the weekend, but it may likely be around next week. I am not 100% sure. Add some at your will, because I am open to suggestions:

• 'modern Fullbacks
  • 'modern Playmakers
  • How-to: Replicate the 'false nine'
  • How-to: Achieve higher passage rates from your playmakers
  • The Stretford End Project - 2010/11 Season
  • 'modern 4-2-3-1
  • 'modern 4-1-2-1-2
  • Italian football in English football
  • Arsenal vs. Machester City - Analysed

Sounds great. If it is hopefully fixed in 11.3, i will do a series on the 3 man defense, using Napoli as the side, they have been playing a brilliant 3-4-2-1 this season that has seen them fighting for the Scudetto (sitting in 2nd, currently 3 points off AC milan)

---------- Post added at 05:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:56 PM ----------

Holy **** Mike., try not to kill my eyes next time. Excellent read, 4-4-2 is still my favourite formation, perfect article.

Nick, superb thread. Seen it in the Recent Threads list many times but never actually thought of viewing it, I certainly will do from now on :wub:
Sorry, i get carried away with writing them :$

Brilliant read, have been following them intently so far, would love it if you looked into the 5 defenders system Dalglish played against Chelsea

Brilliant stuff! one question though. On the Villarreal CF Tactic i just wanted to know what are the player instructions for the fowards. Thanks

The How-to: Replicate the 'false nine' and How-to: Achieve higher passage rates from your playmaker these will be very interesting to read about.

Would be indeed. Need to work on it more though, haven't even scratched the surface, so will be getting down to that this week.

Aha, thanks, and that sounds good and I appreciate you taking the plunge to read the articles. :)

the flase nine one would be a nice read

Would be indeed.

Sounds great. If it is hopefully fixed in 11.3, i will do a series on the 3 man defense, using Napoli as the side, they have been playing a brilliant 3-4-2-1 this season that has seen them fighting for the Scudetto (sitting in 2nd, currently 3 points off AC milan)

---------- Post added at 05:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:56 PM ----------

Sorry, i get carried away with writing them :$

Yeah, I have always found favour with Napoli as a team to play three-man defences. Was interested when I watched Chelsea vs. Liverpool, that's where the Italian football in English football comes in.

I admire then for the innovation, and the way they play.

modern full backs and modern 4-2-3-1 would be great

'modern Fullbacks is probably the closest to being done out of any of the ones that I listed, and I hope they will.

Brilliant read, have been following them intently so far, would love it if you looked into the 5 defenders system Dalglish played against Chelsea

Have been thinking about it. Maybe, depends.

Brilliant stuff! one question though. On the Villarreal CF Tactic i just wanted to know what are the player instructions for the fowards. Thanks

Well, it varies. Both of them are usually on Advanced Forward, Attack and Poacher, Attack.

But, I would recommend probably Rossi on Complete Forwars, Support, and Nilmar as a Poacher.

I am not 100% sure, because I haven't touched that save for a month now. Will post the tactic soon.

Last edited:
Also looking forward to the false nine article, I've always been a fan of it and interested to see your points. :)

Could you look at doing a "how to: achieve higher possession"?

An article about inside forwards and trequartista would be superb!

picture.php

Creating the 'modern Fullback

• Taking the common styles of a fullback from modern football into Football Manager, and analysing the key PPM's to succeed with such.
  • Comparing some of the Premier League's and Liga BBVA's best fullbacks' stats with one-another, and thus, using such information to garner a good representation of it in-game.

Article #5: The 'modern Series
Thursday, 10th February 2011

I mentioned this in the list that I posted earlier when I replied to Mike. about the next few articles up on the street for the thread, and one of the ideal ones was about today's full backs, and their influence on the modern game. This will be the third position covered in the to-be full article of modern positions and formations (when done) that will extensively look into today's formations, apply them and then have a run-around with it in the game. Analysis will follow with that article that should be done pretty soon when I have finished with the 'modern Positions articles.

Anyway, following this gloomy London Thursday will be a delve into the fullback position ...

The critical importance of a good fullback in any team, in any league, around the world

These days, good fullbacks, or those who come with great potential, are scarce and hard to come by. Big teams often scour the outskirts of the world in the Americas and Africa for raw talent that has usually spewed out from poor or less economically developed countries, in which they then bring them to their club, nurture them, train them and hope that they become the next best thing. That's why you have the likes of Barcelona, Inter Milan and Manchester United holding the likes of Daniel Alves, Patrice Evra and and Maicon in such high regard amongst the media, as arguably the three best (foreign) fullbacks in the world. They possess speed, decent crossing ability, good tackling and marking skills, good mentality and hefty contracts to reward them for their service during the season.

Other clubs in the likes of Arsenal and Real Madrid have looked to unknown talent, or their youth academies to bring up some great fullbacks, and they follow in Gael Clichy, Bacary Sagna and Sergio Ramos (the best of the three) to being both the Premier League and La Liga's best - in their positions. Without them, Arsenal would probably struggle in finding good fullbacks and have to scour, not only nearby countries, but their own youth system to bring up future ones.

Real Madrid would do something along those lines, but also delve into the transfer market, and snap up the likes of Evra and Maicon from under Inter's and Man Utd's noses - without a single trace. £50million + looks a good bet. But moving on.

Despite those fullbacks generally having very good all-round abilities for someone to play in their position, smaller teams have their own dangerous fullbacks that, week in and week out, provide their team-mates with a sigh of relief when they do that important tackle, or dangerous run down their flank to provide an attacking opportunity. The likes of Aly Cissokho of Lyon, Joan Capdevila for Villarreal and Stephen Lichtsteiner in the colours of Lazio spring to mind. Those who support those respective teams will often have banners flying with their names and chanting them every time that they touch the ball. It's quite amazing. To them, they are one of the world's best fullbacks, and in their mind, better than the list that I conjured up all together - in their mind.

It's also another good reason why the role of today's fullback comprises of getting forward, overlapping the winger ahead, putting in a cross or two and extending the width of the play. This is generally. Mix that with defensive positioning, having a good ability to be strong in the tackle and be able to focus on their man, zonally or man-marking, and break their game.

It seems that fans and managers want their fullback to make the position their own - to dominate it and intimidate the opposing winger with their ability to be just as good as them in being their counterpart. Lower league teams in the English footballing pyramid can be good examples of this. Jamie Peters' performance against Arsenal in the Carling Cup could be said to be the modern definition of a fullback - but defensively. Bradley Orr of Queens Park Rangers, in his time at Bristol City, was their strongest fullback, and was their answer to the right side. Even as far into top-flight leagues down in small countries does the fullback have an even bigger job. Off the top of my head is Sime Vrsaljko. Brilliant fullback.

But in this article ...

I will not be using top fullbacks to have to explain my case of today's fullbacks. No. I will be using fullbacks with decent enough abilities to warrant that position. Using world-class fullbacks would not prove my point at all, because they already have the ability, and everyone knows it. So, smaller teams will be my exhibitionists of today's fullback.

Gael Clichy vs. Aston Villa

The Arsenal defender hasn't had the best of seasons this year, but some glimmered performances should be up for analysis. This year, when the Gunners travelled to Villa Park, in which ended in a 4-2 thriller, Clichy exposed the greater side of his passing game, with a successful passing game. Clichy tried seventy-four passes, in which fifty-five of them were successful and just under twenty weren't. Forty-seven of the passes were from open play. Most of them clogged the left side inside of Arsenal's half, and had 41% of them in there. A very good passing game from a fullback.

picture.php

picture.php

The screenshots show where the better of his passing was, and where. Now that probably is a good tactical analysis into a fullback's supposedly required game. But, a fullback actually averaging that every match would be very difficult, so it can be said sometimes that the expectations of a good fullback to compete with some of the world's best are a little bit much. Arsenal try to play fluid, passing football, and to an extent it works. It worked against Villa, but let's look a little bit more into it.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXDR-5D3Afk"]YouTube - Gaël Clichy vs Barcelona 2010[/ame]

Here is a clip of Clichy against Barcelona during Arsenal's encounter with Barcelona during the quarter finals of the UEFA Champions League, back in mid-2010. This video solely focuses on Clichy's game, and the way he hounds Barca's attackers with intent, works the ball well and wins the ball back to give the Gunners a good retention of possession. Probably one of his best games of that year during the annual continental tournament, the Frenchman gave them something to think about, despite going on to lose the tie.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBaYSS4We2g&feature=related"]YouTube - Clichy run vs Tottenham[/ame]

Here is another of him against Tottenham Hotspur, where he makes a worked run down the left flank to get forward and make an attacking move. A one-two pass between one of his team-mates enables him to move further and try again. Eventually, the move breaks down, but the general feel of what a modern fullback must do these days should be shown now.

Right, down to Football Manager now ...

For this article, I took one of the fullbacks I mentioned to try and 'create' the modern fullback (as said in the title) in Football Manager. The player pictured is the one I am using. Aly Cissokho. A great defender, has blistering pace, good crossing, decent marking and tackling, but also good mental stats to work his physical and technical attributes.

picture.php

Now, the screenshot may show Wing Back, Support, but I only did that to fully utilise Cissokho's attributes. He hones the attributes needed to be a good wing back, and I just wanted to put that into practice. The screenshot also shows how this is proven. You can have it on Full Back, Automatic or Full Back, Support. It's the PI that determines it the most.

picture.php

Obviously, I customised his PI to make him more free down the left flank and to also make him not have to stick to his position. Lyon are contenders for Ligue 1 in the game, and with that comes the fact that they average one of, if not the best squad in the league. In my Lyon save, I have tried to play a fluid game and it has worked, so with that was the obvious need to play an attacking fullback at least.

Like in the previous 'modern Positons article, I am going to list the attributes needed, and why (again, attributes need to be, at least, above 13) :

• Crossing: If they can cross the ball decently well, then you can pick out that they are a good fullback when going forward. They can then replace the winger's crossing abilities if they cut inside, and provide crosses from the byline or deep - depending on the instructions given to them.
  • Marking: Essential. A fullback that can mark is one that can nullify the game of an opposing winger or a lone centre forward who relies on the service of others in their team to work. Whether zonal or man-marking, it's essential that they are able to mark. If they don't have their Marking attribute above 13, improve it.
  • Tackling: Goes hand-in-hand with marking, and is quite self-explanatory. A fullback that cannot tackle very well is often depicted as a winger. Marking and tackling are musts for fullbacks, and without them, they'll struggle to keep the flanks quiet.
  • Decisions: Whether supplying a short pass to a near-by defender or midfielder, or even a forward dropping deep to receive the ball, decision-making by a fullback is the breaker between making a mistake, the opposition capitalising and costing them the game. All defenders need good decision-making, and getting forward needs good decision making too, because you don't want them getting up too much, and abandoning their defensive responsibilities.
  • Positioning: Also goes with decisions. If they position themselves well in their own position and area, then they can get into the best places to ruin the opposition's attacking move, or be able to break down an attack from the flank that he is on.
  • Off-the-Ball: When the team attacks, off the ball movement is required for them to get into the best places. Just like Positioning. One-two passes between a winger and a fullback requires good off-the-ball movement (despite them making it look easy) and then make it to the line and cross the ball.
  • Teamwork: Teamwork with the defence creates good partnerships, and good partnerships in defence cannot be stressed enough. Fullbacks need it for the centre backs to know what they want and when, but also for the fullbacks to know what the midfielders want - and when. It works both ways.
  • Work rate: Look at the run by Clichy vs. Tottenham. 'Nuff said. Couple that with the Barcelona video and you have the definition for this attribute. It also makes them hound the opposition winger enough for them to become intimidated by the fullback, lose confidence, have a poor game and possibly gift their team a defeat.
  • Acceleration: With off-the-ball movement, acceleration allows the fullback to be quicker on the turn, or get that little bit further forward behind their own fullback and to then make the run into the opposition area or byline for the cross. Also works in overlaps too, when the winger cuts inside, but the fullback runs past. The winger sees him, passes the ball into his path and he's off.
  • Stamina: Over time, your fullbacks will get tired, and it's critical in a game, especially when defending a lead, to substitute tired players. The defence first. So stamina allows them to go longer without having to necessarily be subbed. Think of it as a battery. Duracell or Energizer?
  • Concentration: With Marking, Tackling and Decisions, Concentration is the final piece of the puzzle. This is often needed for a general fullback, who wouldn't be selected as one to go forward. Experienced heads will often benefit, and have the ability to quieten a pacy, or skilful winger.

Cissokho in my save

Like mentioned, and always, I have a save with a desired team and try to implement the instructions to which they then replicate modern-life. So far, Cissokho has had some good games, and has shown some signs of a modern fullback. It's not something for them to actually have to gain assists regularly and score goals, but rather contribute to the cause. That's the most important.

Positions and PPM's

picture.php

Here is Cissokho's positions. Naturally, he is a left fullback, but is accomplished as a left wing back. Versatility is also key, as an attacking fullback needs to be able to play as a wing back, but even sometimes as a midfielder or winger. In other cases, as a fullback on the opposite side. It gives greater options and a much larger scale when the injuries pile up and the manager is skinned. He likes to run down the left flank and hug the touchline, but there are others that could be added.

• Get forward whenever possible: If they are good at being attacking fullbacks, getting forward at every opportunity, when in a fluid tactic and an inside forward ahead, they can then over options down the flanks, whilst also on pictures that are wide, exploit that.
  • Plays one-two passes: Play a little one-two with another team mate to quicken the tempo and make the attack a lot more fluid.
picture.php

I made a seperate training schedule to dedicate to improving his attributes in the much-needed aeras. Naming it after him made it a lot more easier in knowing who is who, but also even putting in players that could be such fullbacks in there to benefit from such a schedule. Also got him to try and get forward whenever possible, because his attributes can handle it and the tactic suit it as well. Two birds with one stone.

Cissokho in-match

Here are some screenshots of him in action away to F.C. Lorient in the league. We went on to win 2-0, with Cissokho picking up a 7.4 match rating I was very happy. But he also showed things that is often expected of the fullback in the modern game:

Overlapping and getting forward

picture.php

Pictured is Cissokho (#20) off the ball, with the ball off screen and being battled for between the sides. His position is close to the centre line, with close-by opposition players more focused on the ball than what is around them. Cissokho obviously wants to get forward.

picture.php

Here again, a bit further into the match, but the passing in the three-man midfield of Makoun, Pjanic and Kallstrom is just trying to quicken the tempo. Cissokho, again, showing that he can, and will, get forward. Closer to the touchline than he was in the previous above picture.

picture.php

Here he is a few seconds later. The team loses the ball, but Cissokho is already up there and well-inside Lorient's half. Hugging the touchline, he could easily whip the ball inside the box for Gomis (#18) to retain and score, if in possession.

picture.php

With Bastos on the ball, Cissokho is behind him. Lorient's right-sided winger and fullback are parked to try and nullify Bastos' attempt to get the ball in, but also is aware that Cissokho is behind. He's much more closer to the touchline, wanting to overlap, but Bastos has other options too. The flank is wide for space, and exploitation.

picture.php

Bastos is on the ball, and has a couple of options, but the line going through him shows, once again, Cissokho's desire. Hugging the touchline, he could get a one-two from Bastos, and use his pace to blow into the box and whip one in. Easily. It's not even whether or not he could do it, but the option available. It's what is being done in modern football time and time again.

Quick set-piece example

picture.php

Throw-in deep inside Lorient's half, Cissokho offers the short option and is onside. Bastos has the option of Kallstrom also, but could also be tackled by the on-looking Lorient midfielder.

picture.php

Cissokho had the ball thrown on to him, in which he instantly passes it back for the Lorient midfielder having to get the ball back and work for it.

picture.php

Bastos passes it to Kallstrom, but the set-piece was successful

Quick game analysis

Like I said, Cissokho achieved a 7.4 rating at the end of the game, and I was happy. He also achieved a good passing game, with fifty-five passes from the left flank, and thirty-nine of them being completed. Unfortunately, only one of them was a key pass, but it was a good one. Contributed to a goal. Averaged a passing game of 70.9% in that game.

picture.php

Average positioning was high, generally above the Lyon centre halves and Reveillere at times. Covered a lot of the left flank and a bit of the middle, but this is where stamina comes in. He wouldn't have been able to do that without good stamina.

picture.php

And here is his stats from the last few games. So far, he has (if you cannot see) completed 148 passes out of 192, averaging 77%. That's excellent for an attacking fullback. I am proud.

picture.php

But to end ..

This was enjoyable. I liked watching the 'modern Fullback position get worked in both the Youtube videos and by Cissokho on my Lyon save, and show the attacking intent that is needed for a real modern fullback to achieve. They don't always have to be attacking, but generally, fullbacks are needed to get forward a lot more than before. Only teams who are odds-on to lose a match do they really have their fullbacks parked back and rarely venture out of their own half. Even then, rarely, do they ever get forward.

Might post a shortlist up soon, composing of fullbacks that you can purchase and try out, both for big and small clubs, but it depends. Have a few articles in mind that I would like to do before I crack on, but even then, they require add-ons. It's difficult.

But, for now, this is Article #5 and explaining the 'modern Fullback.

---------- Post added at 02:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:30 AM ----------

Ok, this goes out as a notice.

After Mike.'s article on the Modern 4-4-2. I decided to post it in a seperate category labelled 'Community Contributions'. This is a category that allows you, the community, to post your own extensive articles on players, tactics or things done in modern day football and share it on here without having to make a thread.

You are more than welcome, however, you must inform me before-hand, and brief me what it is about. If you fail to do so, it will not be added to the OP. I stress this because I don't want a flurry of threads opening up and marring other ones.

Kris and TGW have their own coming up soon to go alongside Mike.'s, so follow this and yours could be in the Community Contributions category.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.