An Angel's Approach to Managing the Devils: A Manchester United Guide FM13

• Thread starter Thread starter Raikan007
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 701
  • Views Views 289K
Just a quick question : if you're trying to praise or endorse a player, how many times do you have to do it before you get any results? I've tried it with Bale and he responded well, but it didn't effect his price tag

For some players and/or in some cases it doesn't seem to work at all. I tried to sign Azpilicueta from Chelsea, made transfer offers (which got rejected), praised him and told I would do my utmost to sign him (to which he reacted well), but he never became unhappy or made a transfer request.

On the other hand, when I tried to sign Bale before my second season, Spurs initially wanted about 50m for him. Then I praised him and said that I would do my utmost to sign him, both once. He submitted a transfer request and I got him for less than 30m. So maybe there's a random element in there too, if you're having trouble with him. The only thing I can suggest is that you declare interest as well, that might work.

I'd say it's a good idea to keep him at least for the first season. Unless you buy a new left back then Buttner is pretty much your only cover for Evra should he get injured or tired because of fixture congestion. Evans is competent at DL, but, at least for my money, he's more of an emergency backup for in-match injuries than a proper backup player. For the second season you get Fabio back from QPR, at that point Buttner becomes pretty redundant.

I still kept hold of him for a couple more seasons, but used him as a left winger. His defensive frailties cause much less trouble in that position, and besides, in the original database I think ML was his natural position? I seem to remember that they changed his natural position to DL and/or WBL in the update though. Anyway, I eventually sold him for about 12m, not bad I think...

Excellent :)

Finally got back to playing this yesterday. Figured I would see what it would take to get Alaba from City. Turns out that it would take a transfer fee of 165 million (I paid 120 million for Messi...), and his agent's fee demand was pretty outrageous as well...

Not even my ultra-rich board was prepared to pay that much, their limit was at 12,5 million.

Needless to say, no deal was made. The transfer fee alone was way too much, especially as the money would have gone into City's coffers. If it was, say, Real Madrid or Barca, I might have gone for it. Ended up signing Alex Sandro as I had planned, and only had to pay 40 million for him. Now I've got almost 200 million left to spend, and no idea who I'd want to spend it on... :D

I recently bought Neymar, and I'm using the might and magic tactic, with the changes suggested by Raikan in post #20. The problem is, Neymar doesn't score much. What should I do?

I used the Might & Magic but it did not work for my troops. So I switched to a 4-1-2-2-1 formation which has been absolutly amazing. Tottenham was in the lead with 6 points so I had to do something, after the tactica switch and a fine tuning of the team instructions I caught up in the 28th game of the season when playing Tottenham @ Home with them leading by two points in the league table...

View attachment 347349

Good morning boys and ladies,
So, 1st season is almost complete and my fingers are itching to open the wallet for 2nd season.
However, as usual, is it NECESSARY to spend if you win the Premier League and Champions League???

I have studied a whole truckload of players and needed a napkin to keep the drool away from the "bid on" player button.

I sold Nani to Real Madrid for £25, I sold Ashley Young to Arsenal for £20, I sold Jesse Lingard to Celtic for £210K, I sold Anderson to Juventus for £9.

To replace Nani I bought Andre Ayew (Jan Window) for £15.75 (£14.25 profit) 3 Apps with 1 goal and 7.30 rating.
To replace Anderson I bought James Ward-Prowse for £10.5 (£1.5 loss) 13 Apps with 6.85 rating.
To replace Ashley Young I bought Wellington Nem for £17.5 (£2.5 profit) 24 Apps with 2 goals, 9 assists and 7.15 rating.
I bought Sergi Samper for £1.2 and loaned him out.
I bought John Stones for £12.5 and he has so far 16 Apps with 1 assist and 7.11 rating.
I bought Joshua Webb for £3.2 and loaned him out.

Now for Season 2, Giggs and Scholes will retire. I have bought for 2nd Season Nathan Redmond. I have for 2nd Season coming back from loan: Fabio, Januzaj, Zaha, Powell and Henriquez.
From U18 there is Nicholas Ioannou that can move up to First Team.

Edited: I have now reviewed my shortlist and come up with the following potential signatures.
*Kurt Zouma
*Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
*Sciglio
*Chalobah
*Okore
*Shaw

Last edited:
Just found this thread.
Started with united myself in the first season Spurs bought fellaini and then ran away with the League title.
Sold evra and got alaba right away
Sold nani to PSG
Young to arsenal
Valencia to Newcastle
Then i got James Rodriquez(24mil),Thiago alacantara (18mil), isco (30mil) Koke (10mil) Cristian tello (8mil)Maxym Koval young beast of a keeper

I struggled a bit with my tactics in my first season had to ask for time. Came third in the league dropped out at the group stages in the Champions league, ended up winning the Europa league. Played my youngsters in the league and Fa cup got knocked out in the later stages.
Second season i sold Rvp and got Falcao for his release clause 52 million
got moritz leitner on loan from dortmund to cover injuries
Rodriquez injured in sept for 3 months then again in feb for 2 months so tello gets a lot of game time
Thiago gets injured in january for 6 months
Started slowly but came storming back and won the league and Fa cup double, got knocked in europe first round by celtic :(
Need to find me an away tactic

Now just started my 3rd season and got Lewandowski on a free transfer :)
sold tello he wasnt improving enough for 12mil
also bought Kurt zouma because evans left because he needs a new challenge might need one more DC because Rio isnt good enough anymore.

Also declared interest in oscar because he was unhappy got him for 22million
fabio 12 million to valencia

De Gea/Maxym Koval
Alaba/? Zouma/Jones Vidic/Smalling Rafael/Smalling/Jones

Carrick/Koke/oscar Thiago/cleverley/Powell

Welbeck/Kagawa/isco isco/Rooney Rodriquez/Kagawa

Falcao/Lewandowski/Rooney

Looking to bring in another DC or RB
Looking to sell carrick contract up next year and he wants a ludicrous contract

Hope this wasnt too long, any suggestions on rb position i find its the hardest position to fill

Last edited:
I use smalling as a backup but I also bought John Stones who is a DC but has been very good as RB. I can recommend for RB Kyle Walker, Davide Santon, Sebastian Corchia, Martin Montoya, Mattia De Sciglio, Danilo...

My first season comes to and end. After abusing the team with different tactics I think the second season will the season of Silverware. I did good in season one but a lot of tactical mistakes.

Lost Champions League in quarter finals to FCP...disgrace.
Won the Premier Title by 3 points, close call with Tottenham.
Lost FA Cup in the fourth round to Wigan...Wigan is a tricky team.
Won the Capital One Cup from Liverpool, gave them a true beating!

Will be interesting what happens in season season and interesting to see if my planned signings join.

Interesting, Damiao, Hamsik and Jovetic are all transfer listed...

How long before Alaba comes good for Utd

Just wondering how many games Alaba has to play before he becomes more Consistant with performances and quality i have done in the past brought him then Loaned him to clubs like everton and west brom for a season would that be good option for me he doesnt seem to play well for me i do what the scouts says WingBack with Support in left back role

First season : Won Champions League (2-0 vs Madrid), won Premier League. Knocked out of carling & fa cup in the 3rd round :/
Spent £95 mil and sold £96mil. The main coming in being Isco/ Baines (halfway and 3/4 paid over 48months)/ papadopulos and Lamela. Main going out being Hernandez/ Valencia/ Young/ anderson and evans. Gonna sell rooney next season, the b*stard wants to leave because i fined him a weeks wages for breaking a guys leg and getting sent off

So is anybody still playing a long save with United? I haven't played FM for a few months now and I've been thinking of playing again.

Need help with Man Utd start 2nd season

Hi everyone,

I am about to start my second season with Man Utd and would like some advice. I will try to make my team as clear as possible and show what has gone on. I won everything my first season... Champions League was most difficult. Overturned Qtr Final & Semi Final deficits vs R. Madrid & Bayern. Beat Barca in the final 1-0.

GK: De Gea/Lindegard
RB: Rafael/Smalling
CB: Ferdinand/Evans/Jones
CB: Vidic/Zouma
LB: Alaba/Fabio/Shaw
RM: Nani/Zaha
CM/DCM: Carrick/Jones?/Sergi Semper/Abdullah Raffidine/Scholes + Giggs + Beckham
CM/ACM: Kagawa/Cleverley/Powell
LM: Bale
ST: Van Persie/Falcao/Rooney/Welbeck/Hernandez/Angelo Henriquez/Andy Polo

I think my problem now is that I have an overly large squad which is very top heavy in the attacking department (Semper & Powell should be going out on loan)

A little bit on transfers that occurred...
1st season -
Sold: Anderson (approx 10-15m pounds to Benfica)
Bought: Zouma (16m), Shaw (13m), Andy Polo, Sergi Semper, and 1-2 more younger players.

1st season Winter transfer window -
Bought: Falcao (25m)... he was unhappy and somehow was offered to me for only 25m, took it right away (I had to change my financial budget with the board and rode my luck saying I expect to WIN the premier league, helped to add a larger transfer and wage budget.

2nd season -
Sold: Young (to Arsenal 30m pounds), Fletcher (player exchange and paid 23m for Bale), Valencia (player exchange and received 7m for Alaba), Buttner (to Sporting Lisbon for 9.5m, he had just got 2 caps for Holland before I sold him too...), Evra to PSG (6m, figured I have Alaba, Fabio and Shaw)
Bought: Bale, Alaba, Beckham (free - just wanted to!)
Returned from Loan: Henriquez, Zaha

So far in 2nd season...
Charity Shield 1-1 vs Man City, lost on PKs.
Won first 2 prem games.
Next up, Super Cup vs Leverkusen.

WHERE I NEED HELP!
As my team stacks up, It is great on paper. However, preseason didn't go as smoothly as I expected and most of my games were not won as convincing as I hoped. I also have been conceding more frequently (ALMOST 1 goal conceded per game). My goal is to find a perfect blend in my forward line, I would like opinions on what formations to play? I want to accommodate for everyone so I am going to try Rooney at CM. If I do, is Rooney best as a BBM?

I normally play a 4-2-3-1 - usually I put Falcao as STC. To accommodate for all my forwards again, sometimes I will rotate van Persie to AMR, and Kagawa to AML if I use Rooney AMC. The players I sold had all performed well for me 1st season, I just got tempted to free up some cash and bring in Bale and some 5 star regens.
The main things right now are that Hernandez and Welbeck are not getting enough game time.

Also, I want to ensure Shaw & Zouma's developments go well. Surprisingly they both just made their debuts for France and England respectively, and I want that to continue.

At LB I now have Alaba, Fabio (called up for Brazil too!), Shaw - this is a headache already just because I want to keep everyone happy and developing.

Interestingly Vidic was my top scorer 1st season in the league, with 15-18 goals! (he had a boat load from corners). Rooney was doing really well at first in the league then got injured. I used van Persie after that, and then of course Falcao came along. With my constant rotating including Welbeck and Hernandez it was pretty hard to just have 1 stand out goal scorer.

CENTRE MID (edit after coolmcool reminded me) --- I do seem quite under established in this position (might even be my biggest issue), with 3 veterans and 3 future stars... any suggstions?

So with all this information at hand, does anyone have any suggestions for my squad (loan players out, even sell them?) Tactics to accommodate my team would also be welcome.

Thanks guys!! (sorry for the extremely long post)

Last edited:
I quite like playing Alaba at AML so you could always rotate him there, do you play Falcao as a Poacher, Target Man? I would say that your main problem maybe that you have brought a lot of youth in but beyond your starting eleven you dont have any good squad players of a reasonable age? Take your midfield for example you only have one midfielder in his prime, you have 3 young future stars and 3 players who used to be stars, oh and Valencia has been a god for me in both of my Man Utd stories, i did one right at the beginning of the new fm so some stuff may have changed http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/foot...ger-stories/109104-red-devils-domination.html and here is our more recent pass the parcel save with Man Utd http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/foot...2795-pass-parcel-manchester-united-story.html

Thanks coolmcool, I'll consider that advice. You're right about the CM area. Do you think I could put Rooney there and he could take care of it instead of buying a new CM?

Semper and Raffidine are both approx 19 yrs old (im quite surprised they havent won an international youth caps yet)... my scouts told me they were 4 star prospects, right now internally my Asst Mgr is saying 3.5 stars. Not bad, but I was hoping I could use either of them rather than Gundogan/Bender/Verratti etc.

I was actually offered Verratti for approx 10-15m, should I go for him? In my game hes also 3.5 stars, but certainly more established already.

Thanks again for the tips, I will check out the other threads too.

Thanks coolmcool, I'll consider that advice. You're right about the CM area. Do you think I could put Rooney there and he could take care of it instead of buying a new CM?

Semper and Raffidine are both approx 19 yrs old (im quite surprised they havent won an international youth caps yet)... my scouts told me they were 4 star prospects, right now internally my Asst Mgr is saying 3.5 stars. Not bad, but I was hoping I could use either of them rather than Gundogan/Bender/Verratti etc.

I was actually offered Verratti for approx 10-15m, should I go for him? In my game hes also 3.5 stars, but certainly more established already.

Thanks again for the tips, I will check out the other threads too.
Veratti wasnt brilliant for me but each to their own i like Lars Bender and Sandro, Gundogan is good, As Man Utd you have the money to buy established players who are still young (around 22-23) and they will perform straight away compared to bringing in youngsters as you need to keep the results ticking over, a big squad is never a bad thing as if you do so well in all the competitions your probably playing 70 games a season!

So is anybody still playing a long save with United? I haven't played FM for a few months now and I've been thinking of playing again.

Yeah i am.. past 2024 doh.. and its a Uniited save.. any querry?

Back