An Angel's Approach to Managing the Devils: A Manchester United Guide FM13

• Thread starter Thread starter Raikan007
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 701
  • Views Views 289K
Yeah same here I've never changed anything in game nor will I, but I had seen a screenshot and you seen Manuel Neuers secret stats and I got to thinking it would be useful to see outfielders secret stats. Is there a way if finding them out without the scout?!

Also what skin do you use?

Yeah same here I've never changed anything in game nor will I, but I had seen a screenshot and you seen Manuel Neuers secret stats and I got to thinking it would be useful to see outfielders secret stats. Is there a way if finding them out without the scout?!

Also what skin do you use?

no I don't think you can mate, besides the scout reports, you can sort of get an idea of what the players hidden stats are like..

alavanja 13 pro.rar
skin

My first save on FM13 is, as always, United. I always try ease myself in and familarise myself with the game with them on most versions. The injuries and pre-season were quite a sobering introduction. This game is a lot different to the others and I realised I had to adapt quickly because you're involved in so much more.

First couple games were a struggle. I did win, but they weren't fantastic victories and against lesser sides. Had half the squad unhappy because I decided to say they weren't good enough after a lackluster and lucky 2-1 win over QPR (Operation Overload strikes again!) which took AGES to resolve. But now the team have settled a bit, getting some decent results. Not brilliant in Europe, but currently undefeated professionally in all competitions (Bayern did a number on me pre-season) and have just come away from a 6-1 win over Valencia and 7-1 win over Swansea. Still, only in November though and wouldn't want to get ahead of myself.

Rotating two tactics, thinking of creating a third. Do tweak small settings depending on who's playing, i.e, box to box or DLP and also tweak in game depending on how it's all panning out. Currently got a 4-4-2 and what the game says is a 4-3-3, though it is a 4-2-3-1 as far as I am aware. The 4-4-2 I try reserve for teams I think could cause me problems and the other is for teams I should win and can afford more fluidity. That's not to say they haven't worked vice versa, but generally it's how I play them.

Glad I didn't over-buy positions at the start because there are injuries. They don't take really long to come back. Sure, you might have to play Vidic and Ferdinand against sides you'd prefer to rest them for a few weeks, but once the squad is fit, they're a lot better than the team report says. ;) I bought Kyle Walker who's healthy competition with Rafael (who's having a blinder so far too) and that's it. Kinda wish i'd got good cover for Evra, but Buttner has not been terrible in the games he's started and January is just around the corner. A fit Phil Jones is an absolute BEAST in midfield and positively responds to team talks consistently - can see why he's gonna be future captain. RVP is knocking them in, as is Hernandez. Nani, apart from his fruitless long range efforts, is playing brilliantly too. Even Paul Scholes, when called upon occasionally, is scoring some trademark goals which I wish I had recorded. In fact, everyone has average 7.0+ rating apart from Cleverly, but he's only had 2 starts (7+ average) and 3 late sub appearances due to injury. And of course, who could forget Rio Rio Rio? He's been awesome too.

Just had a quick brush through the first few pages of this and it seems our tactic is quite similar Raikan, haha - I change the crossing depending on opposition height and who I play up front.

View attachment 341234

View attachment 341236

View attachment 341238

(Darren Fletcher is only unregistered in the league because I forgot that he was in the reserves injured, he's played well in other games).

Gonna skim through the thread and see if there are any tricks i'm missing.

Last edited:
So I have restarted my management of United due to computer problems and wanted some general feedback.
Pre-season went fairly well if you don't count losing all my central defenders to injury...what a pain.

First Premier League game away vs West Ham with a 4-3 victory.
  • I sold Jesse Lingard, Ashley Young and Anderson.
  • I brought in Sergi Samper, Wellington Nem and James Ward-Prowse.
  • I am just about to sign Lars Bender when I realized, why overspend, do I really need him...no.
  • I am keeping Nani for now, he plays well and gives me no hassle, he can cover the left wing with Nem.
  • I have more than enough midfielders with Samper and Prowse + Januzaj.
  • I have more than enough central defenders but if anything I would like to find a youth to form for replacing Ferdinand, someone like; John Stones.
  • I have more than enough Strikers and Persie boxed a hat trick against West Ham.

I have always found Sandro to be an amazing buy for United. You can play him in a box to box type role beside Carrick or Rooney(If like me you like to train him as a cm). I also like to focus Sandros training on advanced playmaker as his defensive, mental and physical attributes are already amazing(You could even just focus him on passing at first).

On another note, just in case you have tried before.......I'm currently trying to recreate Uniteds tactics from the treble season. Strangely Enough Cleverley seems to be a good fit for that wide midfielder role that Beckham played. Nicolas Gaitan is amazing for
the role that giggs used to play. I use Sandro for the Keane role(As said previously, he plays this kind of role amazingly).

EDIT:Have just bought Kroos for the Beckham role: Crossing, First Touch, Technique, Passing, Teamwork, Decisions, Creativity and Composure all over 16....I can see many assists on the way....now just to bring his corner and free kick attributes of 14 up to something similar

Last edited:
I've just finished the 2016-17 season with United. Managed to win every single trophy on offer, meaning I completed the "septuple": Community shield, European super cup, Club world championship, Champions league and all three domestic trophies. Already came close in the previous season, but lost the community shield against City on pens.

I had a great start to my game, managing to win the european double in my first two seasons, although in my first season I was extremely lucky to win the champions league, playing against teams like Schalke and Galatasaray in the knockout stages and winning Bayern in the final despite being on the back foot pretty much throughout the game. In the second season there was a lot less luck and much more strategy and player performance involved, and RVP for example had a great season in the AMR/IF position/role.

Then in the summer of 2014, things took a ridiculous turn when a filthy rich croatian (IIRC) businessman took over the club and gave me a 300 million transfer fund. And has done every summer since. As a result I've had a great squad for a couple of seasons, and have managed to win champions league five times in a row now. Also I've won the league and FA cup three times in a row and premier league twice in a row.

Here's my current first team squad:

Llorente is out of contract this summer and has already agreed to move to Barcelona. Vidic and Fabio are also out of contract, probably will let both of them go as well. Vidic seems to be in decline although his average performance is still good. I've been pretty satisfied with Fabio's performances, but he's just too injury prone and gets very tired in games because of his low stamina.

Left back has been my number one problem position throughout the whole game. I missed out on Alaba, he's been at City since 2013. I bought Luke Shaw as a long term replacement for Evra, but he was really, really poor in his first season. Reacted badly to team talks, was nervous in almost every game and rarely managed a performance rating of 7+. He's spent the last two seasons on loan but isn't really making any progress, so I'll probably sell him this summer. I'll probaby make an offer for Alaba, but I doubt City will sell for less than 100m which is way too much, so I'll probably go for Alex Sandro. I tried to sign him a couple of seasons back, but FCP were asking like 60m, which I thought was too much and ended up buying Criscito for about 25m. This year I'll just pay as much as I need.

Of those players that I bought before the board takeover I really recommend Sandro, Oxlade-Chamberlain and Bale, they're all excellent. Wilshere has been less impressive, although he's been improving lately. I also bought Nathaniel Clyne at the start of the game as a backup full back, would probably still have him if I didn't have ridiculous amounts of money to spend, since he was pretty good.

Of the original Utd squad, I found that pretty much all defenders with the exception of Buttner (who is better as a left winger, though still a backup player at best) were good enough, even Evans who most people don't seem to really rate. He's been solid defensively and for me has a real knack for scoring from corners. He was even my first player to score a hat-trick! Nani was utterly useless for me, managed a few great performances but spent most of his time firing long range shots miles wide, getting booked for diving, red carded for violent conduct and usually getting performance ratings of about 6.0. Looking back, I'd definitely sell him at the start of the game, as I probably would Rooney. He was never as good as his stats would suggest, and at the start of the game you could probably get a lot of money for him. I sold him to Tottenham for about 10m last summer. Cleverley has done a great job as an all-round midfielder, filling in at center mid, right wing and attacking mid. He'll be sold this summer though since he wants a new challenge.

Besides making big buys such as Ronaldo (ca 200m) and Messi (ca 100m) I've invested a lot in buying youngsters with lots of potential. Here are the regens in my first team squad:

Crljenica has been at the club since he was 14, and he only cost like 2,5m, all the others have cost around 10m per player. In FM2007, which is the only other FM I've played, you could buy young players with great potential for very little money. It's great to see that this is no longer the case. You really have to pay over the odds for potential.

Here's a few of the more promising regens in U18/reserve squad:

And my U18 squad:

Here are the formations I've used, and first choice XI for each formation:

The first two I use for home games and away games as a counter attack strategy, the third I use exclusively for away games. The asymmetric 451 I find is a very good formation. Very balanced and strong all over the pitch, solid defensively and powerful on the attack. At home I use it with balanced style and control strategy with short passing, heavy pressing and touchline instructions pass to feet, play out of defense, work ball into box and hassle opponents. For away games I use counter strategy, direct passing, passing focused on the flanks and heavy pressing, with touchline instructions pass into space, hit early crosses, clear ball to flanks, work ball into box and hassle opponents, and depending on which players I have on, sometimes run at defense as well. When I use the counter strategy, I often change the inside forward role to winger to get more crosses in. I also set the striker as a target man with mixed supply.

The 5-4-1 formation is excellent for controlling possession in away games, which I feel is almost ridiculously difficult to achieve even against significantly weaker opposition. Compared to the asymmetric 451 the 541 is somewhat weaker in attack, probably mainly due to the lack of wing play and thus crosses. The wing backs do provide some width and crosses in, but not as much as proper wingers. But as I said, the aim is to control possession and for me, I usually achieve that and manage to get one or two goals and win the game. With this formation I use pass to feet, play out of defense, play through defense, work ball into box and hassle opponents touchline instructions, and also retain possession against strong teams when the main aim is to avoid defeat. This strategy seems to be very vulnerable to poor conditions though, it usually works when the weather is "drizzle", but if it's "wet" or worse and especially if the opposition plays a direct passing game, you're usually in for a beating.

The asymmetric 451 I've used since the start of the game, and it worked really well with the original Utd squad. The 541 I've only used for a couple of seasons with my billion pound squad, so I don't know how well it would work with weaker players.

I'm contemplating starting a new save since this is almost too easy, but will probably try to achieve an unbeaten league season in this save. And besides, huge investments also bring huge expectations, here's my boardroom confidence ratings at the end of my septuple season:

Notice the "competitions" rating. And this is after I won SEVEN trophies. Here's a more detailed competition confidence view:

So I was expected to win every trophy except for league cup and community shield. Not a lot of room for error...

Sorry for the long post, hope you managed to read it without falling asleep...

I think Criscito is very good for now but you shoud manage to sign a regen for long-replacement

I just started a new career with United and I'm thinking at selling Rooney, Welbeck, Young, Valencia, Nani, Jones and Anderson and buy Gotze, Lamela, Jovetic, James Rodriguez, Nem/Mattheus, Andrea Poli, Digne and Bellusci.

I want to play with 3 AMC's behind RvP.What do you think ? Can you recommend me what roles should I select for my AMC's for maximum efficiency ?

As I stated I restarted the game and have now played 1/2 a season and fell into the transfer trap.
Let me explain what I did;

I sold Nani for 25, Anderson for 10 and Young for 20 + a transfer budget of 22: 77 cool mill.
I bought Samper for 1,2, Wellington for 17,5, Ward-Prowser for 10,5, Stones for 12,5, Aywe for 17,5 and Webb for 3,2: 62,4 mill.
Alaba went to City for 16,5, Fellaini went to City for 29,5, Shaqiri is available for 20, Verratti for 13, Chamberlain for 28, Bale for 45, Eriksen for 30, Griezmann for 21...expensive players.

Ok, why did I sell Nani, I know many have problems with him, sure he shoots and it goes wide, sure he dives and gets a yellow card, but in my first season until November he has played 9 games with 4 goals and 2 assist (one of the games was a hat trick.)

I have at my disposal: Andreas Pereira (still young), James Wilson (still young), Henriguez, Powell, Zaha, Fabio and Januzaj. Why purchase a bunch of new players when I can utilize the ones I have and perhaps buy a couple of cheaper youths...I have read that many buy Bale for 23...not in my game and fellaini goes for 30...crazy price tags! I only wanted Alaba and Chamberlain but Chamberlain costs a fortune and Alaba goes to City 8/10 times.

Does everyone keep Buttner? I mean, his ratings are horrible and he has som severe weaknesses...

Settings

Started a new save last night and am still on day 1. First time I've played in about 6 months. I can't find many of the staff recomendations. What size database do people use and what countries do you enable? I currently use small with england, scotland, spain, france, germany, italy, and brazil.

Also, I've placed bids for bale and fellaini but most of you seem to sell fellaini again. Would I be better looking at a different option? Sandro maybe, or Thiago of Barca to play AMC with Kagawa?

Started a new save last night and am still on day 1. First time I've played in about 6 months. I can't find many of the staff recomendations. What size database do people use and what countries do you enable? I currently use small with england, scotland, spain, france, germany, italy, and brazil.

Also, I've placed bids for bale and fellaini but most of you seem to sell fellaini again. Would I be better looking at a different option? Sandro maybe, or Thiago of Barca to play AMC with Kagawa?

get sandro hes way better than fellaini plus if you get bale sandro gets ****** off that spurs sold bale so i went back a few weeks later and got him for 16 or 18m never look back hes awsome

Cool. Might try that first then. How do you get the best out of them? Bale down the left in a 4231 as either IF or winger with Sandro in centre but would you play as dlp or bwm and does he work better with carrick or fletcher?

Just a quick question : if you're trying to praise or endorse a player, how many times do you have to do it before you get any results? I've tried it with Bale and he responded well, but it didn't effect his price tag

Does everyone keep Buttner? I mean, his ratings are horrible and he has som severe weaknesses...

I'd say it's a good idea to keep him at least for the first season. Unless you buy a new left back then Buttner is pretty much your only cover for Evra should he get injured or tired because of fixture congestion. Evans is competent at DL, but, at least for my money, he's more of an emergency backup for in-match injuries than a proper backup player. For the second season you get Fabio back from QPR, at that point Buttner becomes pretty redundant.

I still kept hold of him for a couple more seasons, but used him as a left winger. His defensive frailties cause much less trouble in that position, and besides, in the original database I think ML was his natural position? I seem to remember that they changed his natural position to DL and/or WBL in the update though. Anyway, I eventually sold him for about 12m, not bad I think...

Back